PDA

View Full Version : Saints lose head coach for one year!! Tebow traded to Jets!

Dee Dub
03-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Saints lose their head coach for all of next year and lose two second rounds picks. One this year and one next year. Ouch!

Oh and Tim Tebow was just traded to the New York Jets.

Per Adam Shefter of ESPN.

SteelBucks
03-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Saints lose their head coach for all of next year and lose two second rounds picks. One this year and one next year. Ouch!

Oh and Tim Tebow was just traded to the New York Jets.

Per Adam Shefter of ESPN.

NFL Network doesn't believe the investigation is over. They think individual player suspensions may be next...

Dee Dub
03-21-2012, 01:10 PM
It's interesting to see the penalty for this such act compared to Spy Gate. Bounties versus cheating.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Gregg Williams, now the DC for the Rams, is suspended indefinitely, too...his case is eligible for review and possible reinstatement after the 2012 season. Per KFFL.

aggiebones
03-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Seriously, they suspended him for 1 freaking year? That's amazing!
Making an example of an administrator that Goodell probably doesn't like. Surprised they didn't suspend Tomlin when he said he told his players not to change their style.

feltdizz
03-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Wow!!! I'm shocked... 1 year for being the HC while Billicheat got a phony fine and lost 1 of their 2 first round picks?

fezziwig
03-21-2012, 01:24 PM
To me, the same thing should have happend to the Cheats for spygate. The players that had taken an active part in head hunting, do they get off free ? I can't wait to hear what James harrison has to say.

birtikidis
03-21-2012, 01:24 PM
They lost another coach for 6 games too. This is in no way worse than the *'s cheating.

Dee Dub
03-21-2012, 01:32 PM
To me, the same thing should have happend to the Cheats for spygate. The players that had taken an active part in head hunting, do they get off free ? I can't wait to hear what James harrison has to say.

I agree, however I think the biggest issue why the commissioner didnt take more serious action for Spy Gate was because the league would have to address that 3 of their Super Bowls were based on cheating. That would be the black eye they never would want to have to address. Like the Black Sox scandal of 1919.

Crash
03-21-2012, 01:36 PM
So if Payton gets a year? How can Jeff Fisher escape unharmed?

How did Hoodie Boy manage to escape after Spy Gate?

Once again, no consistency by Goodell.

Steelgal
03-21-2012, 01:40 PM
I agree, however I think the biggest issue why the commissioner didnt take more serious action for Spy Gate was because the league would have to address that 3 of their Super Bowls were based on cheating. That would be the black eye they never would want to have to address. Like the Black Sox scandal of 1919.

Agreed. When the tapes were erased, that told me all I needed to know. That the damage on those tapes would have been something so major, it would have ripped the league apart. So all of the money and popularity the league had gained would have been gone. To go from the best sport to the worst isn't something they would allow.

Still shocked about the ruling though. But the more that I watch the media, the more that leaks out, it seems justified. They listed 4 QBs that had 'bounties' placed on them: Warner, Rodgers, Cam Newton, and can't remember the last. They also said that certain coaches including Payton lied about the investigation and tried to cover it up.

fezziwig
03-21-2012, 01:46 PM

Your 100% correct. To go any further with the punishment would put the spotlight on the NFL and what a sham it has been since Bellicheat came in as the Cheats coach. Goodell and the NFL would have it out in the clear that, Americas game, the world wide viewed Super Bowl is tainted. Goodell didn't do what was right, he did what was good for business. To me, throwing Bellicheat out of the NFL along with more team punishemnt would have given the NFL a more honest look, they keep a clean house and so on. Goodell didn't want to give up a penny of revenue that would have probably happened for a season or two with fans, sponsors etc that, may have drifted away for a while.

Iron Shiek
03-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Wow!!! I'm shocked... 1 year for being the HC while Billicheat got a phony fine and lost 1 of their 2 first round picks?

Everyone saying Belicheat's suspension was light compared to Payton's stole the words right off my fingers. I don't know how Belicheat doesn't get sat down for a year for cheating. Obviously the player safety thing has a lot to do with it, but still.

I'll never let this Spygate crap go...never!

Steelgal
03-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Everyone saying Belicheat's suspension was light compared to Payton's stole the words right off my fingers. I don't know how Belicheat doesn't get sat down for a year for cheating. Obviously the player safety thing has a lot to do with it, but still.

I'll never let this Spygate crap go...never!

Personally, I think the spygate stuff is much worse and I won't get over it either.

Having said that, I've heard the media talk about both and it seems to come down to the lawsuits that are being brought by players for injuries. The NFL is getting sued for large amounts by former players so want to come down stronger on this. Were the Rams, Steelers, or other teams gonna sue for being cheated by the Pats?? No.

steelblood
03-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Losing Payton is not a huge deal for the Saints. He should have most of his draft prep done by now. Brees can basically run that offense himself. Payton never was overly involved on the defensive side.

2 late 2nd rounders isn't that big of a deal either. I wonder if this is why they traded away their 2012 1st rounder last season.

Now, if they suspend individual players. That could be devastating.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-21-2012, 02:19 PM
FWIW he had to come down harder on this than the other issues. More fitting is the example of Suggs talking about having bounties on Ward and Mendenhall. The difference is that today, player safety is the number one hot button topic in football. Weekly fines and a suspension for Harrison. Numerous lawsuits pending regarding league negligence when it came to player safety.

That is why this is such a major penalty.

phillyesq
03-21-2012, 02:35 PM
So if Payton gets a year? How can Jeff Fisher escape unharmed?

I'm far from a defender of Goodell, but what did Fisher do to deserve a fine/suspension?

Crash
03-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Williams ran the same bounty system when he was in Tennessee with Fisher.

phillyesq
03-21-2012, 03:56 PM

Thanks. Forgot that they worked together before.

Steelgal
03-21-2012, 04:03 PM

Fisher was just on ESPN doing an interview about Williams and basically denied everything. Said he's never heard of any player or coach that would do such a thing and doubts he ever will.

ikestops85
03-21-2012, 04:13 PM

He also did the same with the Redskins. Does this sully Gibbs reputation?

Crash
03-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Fisher was just on ESPN doing an interview about Williams and basically denied everything. Said he's never heard of any player or coach that would do such a thing and doubts he ever will.

I guess he never heard of Buddy Ryan [one of his mentors] either.

Atta boy Fisher, play the Sgt. Schultz angle. LOL

Oviedo
03-21-2012, 04:30 PM
FWIW he had to come down harder on this than the other issues. More fitting is the example of Suggs talking about having bounties on Ward and Mendenhall. The difference is that today, player safety is the number one hot button topic in football. Weekly fines and a suspension for Harrison. Numerous lawsuits pending regarding league negligence when it came to player safety.

That is why this is such a major penalty.

Exactly. It is the whole player safety aspect of this that is driving the severity of the punishments because former players are going to be suing the crap out of the league. The league has to show proactivity to any excessive violence to add credence to their future arguments in court. No former player is suing the NFL because someone cheated. The NFL is in full blown damage control right now.

That's why all the whining about Goodell ruining the game is so misguided. Goodell is trying to SAVE THE GAME from former players who squandered millions of dollars they earned and are now looking for big paydays. The clock is not going to turn back on the whole violence aspect because of the legal ramifications.

Dee Dub
03-21-2012, 04:35 PM
He also did the same with the Redskins. Does this sully Gibbs reputation?

Could you imagine if they hit the Redskins too? Take away draft picks after they traded all of those picks to move up to get RGIII? Lose out on the chance to draft him?

Dee Dub
03-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Tebow back to the the Broncos. I cant believe the Jets. Talk about idiots. How could you jump into something like this with out reading the parameters of his contract? Clueless!

Oviedo
03-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Tebow back to the the Broncos. I cant believe the Jets. Talk about idiots. How could you jump into something like this with out reading the parameters of his contract? Clueless!

Jax had the same problem with Tebow's contract language. Guess Manning has a back up!!!!!!

I doubt any team trades for Tebow if they have to send $5M back to Denver.

DukieBoy
03-21-2012, 05:25 PM
You folks are right on over this Spygate vs Bounty comparison. I take Spygate personally, the league is taking injuries legally. They must do so.

Tebow in NY with the Jests? Maybe he can help Buddy Ryan become a better person.

DukieBoy
03-21-2012, 05:53 PM
An additional thought about the bounty ... I was remembering back to the NFC championship when the Saints pounded the ___ out of Favre, and wondering about the bounties they may have had on Favre in that game. They sure did Brett dirty in that game.

insanesteelersfan
03-21-2012, 06:12 PM
To me what the players did is WAY more egregious! Okay, I announce I am putting a 100,000 contract on three of my neighbors.....does that mean the Hit men HAVE to accept ??? The players KNOW this is illegal, and yet they went through with it anyways. To me much much more egregious! I can tell one of you here,," Hey, does that woman off the bridge "...but if you do it...YOU have commited the crime...not me for just telling you to do it.

And I agree, what the Pats did was way way worse. That was a token punishment. Anyone who watched the Pats/steelers playoff game during that time, I was even saying to my buddy, it LOOKS like the Pats know what we were calling. That whole thing should have been a lifetime suspension for all the parties involved....Including the players if they studied those Illegal tapings.

DukieBoy
03-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Looks likethis TEbow to the Jets is on hold. I am enjoying thinking about the possibilities of Tebow and Stonio.

feltdizz
03-21-2012, 08:14 PM
An additional thought about the bounty ... I was remembering back to the NFC championship when the Saints pounded the ___ out of Favre, and wondering about the bounties they may have had on Favre in that game. They sure did Brett dirty in that game.

I think that game film is the most damaging evidence. They were hitting Favre on running plays.

RuthlessBurgher
03-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Source: Tim Tebow can pick team

Updated: March 21, 2012, 8:39 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Jacksonville or New York? Tim Tebow's future is up to him.

After a trade that would have sent the Broncos quarterback to the New York Jets hit a contract-related snag Wednesday afternoon, a league source tells ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Tebow can choose whether Denver deals the former Heisman Trophy winner to his hometown Jaguars or to Rex Ryan's Jets.

Word spread rapidly Wednesday that the Jets had acquired Tebow from Denver for draft picks, the teams encountered a hang-up in the language in Tebow's contract that put the trade on hold, a Broncos source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

In Tebow's contract is a $6.2 million salary advance, of which $1.2 million already has been paid by Denver, sources told Schefter. The difference of $5 million is still advanced against his future salary, and that burden would shift to the Jets in a trade. The Jets, sources said, believe the Broncos should owe Tebow that money.

The trade, then, will not be finalized until the sides resolve who should pay the money to Tebow.

The teams agreed to the terms of the trade -- the Jets dealt fourth-round and sixth-round selections in 2012 in exchange for Tebow and a 2012 seventh-rounder from Denver -- before the Broncos asked New York to pay back a portion of bonuses and salary already paid to Tebow, sources told Schefter.

The Jaguars, a league source told Schefter, then made an additional play to get Tebow after initially trying, and failing, to land the former Heisman Trophy winner earlier Wednesday.

ESPN initially reported the St. Louis Rams could be a landing place for Tebow, but sources later indicated the Rams are not serious contenders.

A source told ESPN's Ed Werder that Denver is currently negotiating with both the Jets and Jaguars for cash payments and will complete the trade with whichever team offers the highest amount.

Tebow grew up in Jacksonville and played his college ball at the University of Florida.

The Jaguars passed on drafting Tebow when he came out of college in 2010 and then traded up to draft Blaine Gabbert last season, calling him a "franchise quarterback." Gabbert struggled, and the team blamed his problems on receivers and coaching.

Coach Jack Del Rio was fired in November, the same day the team was sold to Illinois businessman Shahid Khan. Before the Super Bowl, Khan said in a radio interview that he would have drafted Tebow and indicated he would consider bringing in Tebow if he became available.

"I share your sentiment," Khan said to a caller who said he hoped the Jaguars would consider Tebow. "When is the next time Jacksonville is gonna have an athlete like Tim Tebow?"

Tebow, drafted by Denver with the No. 25 overall pick in 2010, went on the trading block Monday when the Broncos secured free-agent quarterback Peyton Manning, who signed a five-year, $96 million contract.

The timing of the trade is curious for New York.

Two weeks ago, the Jets gave Sanchez a three-year, $40.5 million contract extension, even though he regressed in certain areas last season. They signed former Detroit Lions backup Drew Stanton last week to be their No. 2 quarterback, handing him a $500,000 signing bonus. They also have former Alabama star Greg McElroy.

The Jets see Tebow as a change-of-pace player with the ability to run the Wildcat offense. They've used the Wildcat in recent years, but cut back last season with the departure of Brad Smith. The new offensive coordinator is Tony Sparano, who introduced the Wildcat to the NFL as coach of the Miami Dolphins.

Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath, who led the Jets to their only Super Bowl title in 1969, was among those unhappy with the trade.

"I'm just sorry that I can't agree with this situation. I think it's just a publicity stunt. I can't go with it. I think it's wrong," Namath told "The Michael Kay Show" on ESPN1050 in New York. "I don't think they know what they're doing over there."

Asked if he hoped the deal would ultimately fall through, Namath said, "Absolutely."

"And I'm a Tim Tebow fan, but I'm a bigger Jet fan than I am a Tim Tebow fan," Namath said.

Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini and Jane McManus and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7718133/tim-tebow-pick-trade-new-york-jets-jacksonville-jaguars-source-says

calmkiller
03-21-2012, 09:00 PM
So another slow day for the steelers.....

SteelBucks
03-21-2012, 09:01 PM
It's a done deal....again. Tebow to the Jets.

SteelAbility
03-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Apparently it's a deal now. Tebow to the Jets.

SteelBucks
03-21-2012, 09:25 PM
The train wreck has already started. Sanchez said today wouldn't feel comfortable having Tebow in New York. :p

insanesteelersfan
03-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Of course Tebow chose New York over Jacksonville...I mean doesn't the Bible say.." Go and heal the SICK.....not the healthy! " In other words a Christian would want to be a Witness to SINNERS! And not the Spirtually Healthy....Jacksonville. And WHO has more " SICK " ( Sinners )...then the Jets :-)

fordfixer
03-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Of course Tebow chose New York over Jacksonville...I mean doesn't the Bible say.." Go and heal the SICK.....not the healthy! " In other words a Christian would want to be a Witness to SINNERS! And not the Spirtually Healthy....Jacksonville. And WHO has more " SICK " ( Sinners )...then the Jets :-)

:D Good point

Chucktownsteeler
03-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Didn't Buddy Ryan place a bounty on a kicker?

How about Jerry Glanville, didn't he have his Oilers go after a few Steelers causing Chuck Noll to threaten to kick his butt after a game?

ChucktownSteeler

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2012, 12:25 AM
In response to learning of his trade to the heathen Jets, Tim Tebow was overheard saying "My God, my God...why has thou forsaken me?" :p

Oviedo
03-22-2012, 07:57 AM
In response to learning of his trade to the heathen Jets, Tim Tebow was overheard saying "My God, my God...why has thou forsaken me?" :p

Right after that his agent called and told him his net worth just increased by 25%

steelersflow
03-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Are there enough Christians in NY for Tebow to succeed? New York is a cultural melting pot, will he have enough support or does Tebow Mania die?