PDA

View Full Version : Best Steeler FO draft strategy since 2000

Keyplay1
03-21-2012, 07:58 AM
I started to post this in another thread. Then figured it might be worth discussing alone. Just to refresh the memory. In 2006 the Steelers moved up for Holmes and then later made another move and I do recall some saying that it added up to getting Holmes really cheap. I don't remember the details. But that would be an example.

But for me it's the 2001 and/or 2002 years which were similar. Pick up a first rate FA then hit on some players in the draft. Earlier I thougt Farrior was signed in 2000 a year before Hartings but that was not the case. Here is the post I changed to here from the other thread.

Actually Farrior was signed Apr 6 2002. So that would be before the 2002 draft. Certainly that factored in to the Steelers draft stragegy.

Pretty sure Hartings was signed before the 2001 draft. Then the need for a C did not exist. And we get Hampton and Bell.

Here it is 2012. What if the Steelers sign one of the top ILB again then that opens the door to move up for [as RB does] for a DeCastro. Then also the converse is in play. Pick up a top tier OL opens the door for a great ILB. Talk about strengthening a team. I think I am going to start a thread called the best Steeler draft strategy since 2000. Hard to remember anything earlier. Actually that would be about the time Colbert took over.

Yes, I would take that amount of re-whatevering of players anytime.

But every year is a different story. That is one of my favorite draft year strategies. What's yours?

aggiebones
03-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Its always smart to grab a reasonable FA that has been playing in a wrong scheme for him, like Farrior was. Maybe grab a guy looking to sign with a winner as you might get him considerable cheaper. Hard to afford a high profile guy like Troy, but right next to him is not a VERY solid counterpart in Clark that was cast aside in Washington.
You can easily find your second starting G, second starting S, a 3rd/4th WR and RBs. They might be out of place on certain teams but be perfect for your schemes. And clearly the Steelers know what they are looking for when they go shopping.

Things rare to find in FA (must draft high) - quality T, CB, championship caliber QB, starting NT

steelz09
03-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Its always smart to grab a reasonable FA that has been playing in a wrong scheme for him, like Farrior was. Maybe grab a guy looking to sign with a winner as you might get him considerable cheaper. Hard to afford a high profile guy like Troy, but right next to him is not a VERY solid counterpart in Clark that was cast aside in Washington.
You can easily find your second starting G, second starting S, a 3rd/4th WR and RBs. They might be out of place on certain teams but be perfect for your schemes. And clearly the Steelers know what they are looking for when they go shopping.

Things rare to find in FA (must draft high) - quality T, CB, championship caliber QB, starting NT

I don't think this has happened at all in the Tomlin era. And for being a personnel football "junky", I'm not all that impressed w/ Tomlin's personnel decisions. However, I will say that I think he is getting better... particularly his drafts. The last 2 years have been his best.

Ghost
03-21-2012, 02:50 PM
As long as it's not a repeat of 2008; I'll be happy. Look that draft up if you don't remember the busts and reaches and try not to bang your head on a brick wall!

birtikidis
03-21-2012, 03:00 PM
You mean getting Ziggy and Wallace? and Lewis, who may or may not be a role player.. doesn't seem so bad to me. We've had worse.

birtikidis
03-21-2012, 03:01 PM
oops, i can't read, you said 08

ikestops85
03-21-2012, 04:23 PM
I don't think this has happened at all in the Tomlin era. And for being a personnel football "junky", I'm not all that impressed w/ Tomlin's personnel decisions. However, I will say that I think he is getting better... particularly his drafts. The last 2 years have been his best.

I doubt Tomlin had a lot of input into the first few drafts of his tenure as Head Coach. It's not like he came into Pittsburgh with a big reputation and was given control of the team. I think Colbert was the master of those drafts and probably still is today. Tomlin might have gotten some more influence but he still isn't as powerful as Cowher was when he was coach.