PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers should go after Tebow

steelz09
03-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Why not?

The guy is a winner. He may not be a QB but he won't need to be one for us. We could use a backup QB...Heck, even if we don't use him as our backup QB, we could use him in a slash role.. TE / RB / QB (use him in an option package)...

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Ummm...no thank you.

steelz09
03-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Ummm...no thank you.

Why? They are saying a 6th or 7th rounder possibly. I would give up a 6th or 7th rounder for Tebow... convert him to another position, who cares? What would they have to lose... lose a pick that probably won't even make the team?

Or, we could draft a bum like Dennis Dixon... now that's the answer. lol

SteelBucks
03-20-2012, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't take up a roster spot for a marginal NFL player.

steelz09
03-20-2012, 12:23 PM

The same marginal player that knocked us out of the playoffs. The same marginal player that Lebeau and Tomlin thought was important enough to put 9 guys in the box to stop.

If Lebeau sacrificed his entire defensive strategy to stop a marginal player in the run game then he should be fired immediately. In fact, Tomlin should be fired as well because he allowed Lebeau to enter a playoff game with a gameplan to stop such as marginal player.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Here is Tebow's contact information:

7/29/2010: Signed a five-year, $9.75 million contract. The deal contains $8.7 million guaranteed, including a $6.275 million option bonus in the second year. Another $23.25 million is available through incentives, though $9 million of them are "unlikely to be earned." $1,537,500 of the incentives are available through a "likely to be earned" onetime escalator. 2012: $1.1 million, 2013: $6.055 million, 2014: $7.145 million, 2015: Free Agent

You want to trade away a draft pick for a guy with that contract...and you don't know what position he'll play?

SteelBucks
03-20-2012, 12:29 PM
The same marginal player that knocked us out of the playoffs. The same marginal player that Lebeau and Tomlin thought was important enough to put 9 guys in the box to stop.

If Lebeau sacrificed his entire defensive strategy to stop a marginal player in the run game then he should be fired immediately. In fact, Tomlin should be fired as well because he allowed Lebeau to enter a playoff game with a gameplan to stop such as marginal player.

Yes, the same marginal player that knocked us out of the playoffs. Look at his stats before and after the Steelers game. Calling him 'marginal' is being kind.

steelz09
03-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Yes, the same marginal player that knocked us out of the playoffs. Look at his stats before and after the Steelers game. Calling him 'marginal' is being kind.

Question for you.... who won the game?

Did the Steelers play the pats the following week? Oh yea, that would be a negative. Winners win.

feltdizz
03-20-2012, 12:41 PM

Did the Steelers play the pats the following week? Oh yea, that would be a negative. Winners win.

LMFAO... do you know how many average QB's have looked awesome against our DB's?

A reporter on sports radio said it best after we lost the Denver game. His words..."Steeler fans aren't shocked they lost to Denver because they know their DB's find ways to make bad QB's look good. Whether they slip and fall, blow coverage etc... the Steeler DB's have a history of coming up short in big games."

SteelBucks
03-20-2012, 12:42 PM

One game doesn't make a career. I don't even know why I'm arguing my point. Most can see he's not a good pro QB....heck even Elway wanted him out of Denver before the whole Manning soap opera began.

We can agree to disagree on the NFL prowess of one Tim Tebow. In my opinion....MARGINAL.

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 12:44 PM
I'd love to have Tim sit behind Ben for a few years. Maybe he can teach Ben how to train. Tim is a winner and he's unselfish. Put him at fullback

steelz09
03-20-2012, 12:54 PM
I'd love to have Tim sit behind Ben for a few years. Maybe he can teach Ben how to train. Tim is a winner and he's unselfish. Put him at fullback

That's what I'm saying... David Johnson or Tebow? Who's more dynamic? Who's an overall better player? Who's a winner?

We wouldn't have a soap opera of Tebow-mania in Pittsburgh.... neither would the Pats or the Packers and both are potential Tebow destinations.

Crash
03-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Why not?

The guy is a winner. He may not be a QB but he won't need to be one for us. We could use a backup QB...Heck, even if we don't use him as our backup QB, we could use him in a slash role.. TE / RB / QB (use him in an option package)...

Please. The guy is a joke at QB. Dick LeBeau made him look like an All Pro. He'll never play that way again.

We should resign Tee Martin then, he won in college too.

Crash
03-20-2012, 01:29 PM
We wouldn't have a soap opera of Tebow-mania in Pittsburgh

Oh really? The same city where fans were calling for Ben to be traded in 2010 because they had Dennis Dixon?

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 01:35 PM
wasn't that shortly after his second rape allegation crash? it had nothing to do with who the back up qb was, more with the general letdown the city felt about one of their heros. And not having a back up qb at this point, why not bring in a guy like Tebow to compete for the 2/3 qb spot? hell if it only takes a 6th round pick, why not?

Crash
03-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Because he stinks. Leftwich is better.

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Leftwhich hasn't made it through a season in how long? He's injury prone, and behind our O-line he isn't mobile enough to play qb for our team. a guy like Tebow is durable and mobile, two things we need in our back up qb. QB wise, he's not the player that Leftwhich is. But then, Leftwhich can't get on the field to prove he's better.

Crash
03-20-2012, 01:46 PM
The Steelers aren't going to run the option offense. So any Tebow talk is pointless.

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Really? The never did anything like that with Ward or Stewart?

Crash
03-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Really? The never did anything like that with Ward or Stewart?

As a gimmick? Sure. As a full time base offense? No.

focosteeler
03-20-2012, 02:06 PM
no....no no no no no no no no no

don't talk about trading away a draft pick for him. he cant play the position and he has already said he wants to play QB no other position

williar
03-20-2012, 02:19 PM
As much as I like and respect Tim Tebow and what he represents as a human being. As a QB, It's been hard enough for me watching Ben run around holding the ball, taking sacks. How much can a fan take? I pray our next QB, starter or backup, can read defenses, get rid of the ball and throw accurately...

steelz09
03-20-2012, 02:59 PM
PEOPLE!!!! READ THE POSTS!!! Some of us aren't saying we want him to be the freakin' starting QB. Hell, I don't even care if he ever plays the QB position...

Again, I'm not saying Tebow is a starting QB, I'm saying he's a football player that is a proven winner. I want winners on my team regardless.....

Btw, this just in, Rooney has inquired about Tebow.

Crash
03-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Tee Martin was a proven winner in college too.

Let's sign him.

Crash
03-20-2012, 03:03 PM
If the Steelers sign Tebow then 2012 will be Ben's last in Pittsburgh.

Slapstick
03-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Tee Martin was a proven winner in college too.

Let's sign him.

Umm...Tebow is a proven winner in the NFL...

steelz09
03-20-2012, 03:07 PM
If the Steelers sign Tebow then 2012 will be Ben's last in Pittsburgh.

Crash - Your better than that.... That wouldn't happen.... Tebow is someone you would use in "situational" football. Isn't that one of Tomlin's favorite words? He wouldn't be an every down player.

Crash
03-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Umm...Tebow is a proven winner in the NFL...

He lost 4 of his final 5 starts in 2012.

That's a winner? "Winners" don't lose 3 straight games to end a regular season and back into the playoffs.

Slapstick
03-20-2012, 03:09 PM
But, they do win playoff games...

I don't want Tebow...but, at least compare him to an NFL QB...

steelz09
He lost 4 of his final 5 starts in 2012.

That's a winner? "Winners" don't lose 3 straight games to end a regular season and back into the playoffs.

He beat us but then again, our team is on the decline. He did beat the Jets and the Bears which I would consider pretty good teams.

Crash
Crash - Your better than that.... That wouldn't happen.... Tebow is someone you would use in "situational" football. Isn't that one of Tomlin's favorite words? He wouldn't be an every down player.

The fans would be calling for him from day one. Hell MANY fans in Pittsburgh want Ben gone NOW because we don't play 1970's football.

Rooney could trade Ben for a boat load, save MILLIONS, and get back to playing 1970's football.

And don't think a lot of fans in that city wouldn't support that.

Crash
03-20-2012, 03:12 PM
But, they do win playoff games

Okay, so YOU Slap, being the big Kordell fan you were way back when, have to admit that Cowher benching Mike Tomczak for Kordell in 1997 was the wrong move.

Tomczak won 10 games as a starter, a division title, and 1 playoff game.

And he got demoted.

Crash
03-20-2012, 03:13 PM
He beat us but then again, our team is on the decline. He did beat the Jets and the Bears which I would consider pretty good teams.

Did you watch either of those games? So Tim Tebow caused Marion Barber to run out of bounds? All he has to do, is stay in bounds, and the game is over.

The BRONCOS replaced Tebow with a guy who hasn't played in a year.

They agree with ME.

squidkid
03-20-2012, 03:16 PM

well, we have 2 starting guards and a tackle that are marginal. we have a couple dlineman that are marginal.

squidkid
03-20-2012, 03:18 PM
i would gladly dump batch and lefty to have tebow and one of those clowns we just signed as our #2 and #3 QBS. Might as well have a couple backups that have some upside.

Crash
03-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Move Batch up to the booth. Leftwich as the #2, and Troy Smith at #3. Johnson to the PS.

steelz09
03-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Did you watch either of those games? So Tim Tebow caused Marion Barber to run out of bounds? All he has to do, is stay in bounds, and the game is over.

The BRONCOS replaced Tebow with a guy who hasn't played in a year.

They agree with ME.

First of all, don't give yourself to much credit. :) The Broncos did the right move. They replaced Tim Tebow, the starting QB, with quite possibly one of the best pure passing QB's in NFL history regardless of whether he played last year. That decision doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out.

Where in this thread is anyone saying that Tebow is a starting QB? People need to read posts before they do a "blind" post. Was my comment about "situational" football cofusing? I don't think anyone is saying he's a starter, Crash.

steelz09
03-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Move Batch up to the booth. Leftwich as the #2, and Troy Smith at #3. Johnson to the PS.

Leftwich is done.
Batch to the booth is ok.
Troy Smith is worse than Tebow.
Dennis Dixon is a joke. People want to critique Tebow's throwing motion? How about Dixon's throwing motion and his accuracy.. jesus (no pun intended). He throws a football like I would throw darts at a bar.

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 03:26 PM
As a gimmick? Sure. As a full time base offense? No.

Oh, I didn't realize I said that he should be our fulltime quarterback. My bad. and with Kordell it was more than a gimmick, we did it pretty often.

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 03:27 PM
no....no no no no no no no no no

don't talk about trading away a draft pick for him. he cant play the position and he has already said he wants to play QB no other position

why? when was the last time a late round quarterback did anything for our team. We need a back up. why not give up a 6th round guy with proven NFL STARTER experience? Seems like a not so bad move to me.

steelz09
03-20-2012, 03:29 PM
why? when was the last time a late round quarterback did anything for our team. We need a back up. why not give up a 6th round guy with proven NFL STARTER experience? Seems like a not so bad move to me.

Because Tomlin would rather have proven bums like Dennix Dixon and Troy Smith.

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't think any fans would want Tim over Ben. The game I went to last year, in Pittsburgh, Ben got a ton of cheers from the crowd.

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Because Tomlin would rather have proven bums like Dennix Dixon and Troy Smith.
well by crash's logic, that would make Tebow a no brainer. Going to get my Tebow #15 Steeler jersey, and I will wear it proudly as i burn my Ben jersey and particiapte in witchcraft and Voodoo to make sure he never plays in pittsburgh again!

feltdizz
03-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Tebow blows... sure he won a few games but just about every win he had was on some miracle, never gonna happen again, type plays against sub par opponents. The Bears? The Jets? Yeah... they were had great season's last year. They also had comeback wins over Miami and the Vikings... he is a "winner" LOL.

Don't get me wrong, Tebow is a hell of a FOOTBALL player but he wants to be a QB and he STINKS at QB. I don't want to hear about how he beat us because Painter looked like an All Pro....

Tebow had games where he was 4 for 25 through 3 quarters for 30 yards... it was a great gimmick but we watched a bad Patriots defenses shut him down because their coaches actually, ummmm.... COACHED instead of believing the Tebow is Jesus hype on ESPN.

steelz09
03-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Tebow blows... sure he won a few games but just about every win he had was on some miracle, never gonna happen again, type plays against sub par opponents. The Bears? The Jets? Yeah... they were had great season's last year. They also had comeback wins over Miami and the Vikings... he is a "winner" LOL.

Don't get me wrong, Tebow is a hell of a FOOTBALL player but he wants to be a QB and he STINKS at QB. I don't want to hear about how he beat us because Painter looked like an All Pro....

Tebow had games where he was 4 for 25 through 3 quarters for 30 yards... it was a great gimmick but we watched a bad Patriots defenses shut him down because their coaches actually, ummmm.... COACHED instead of believing the Tebow is Jesus hype on ESPN.

Has Tebow ever officially said that he only wants to play QB?

Crash
03-20-2012, 03:54 PM
My bad. and with Kordell it was more than a gimmick, we did it pretty often.

Not when he was a starter we didn't. Very rare.

Crash
03-20-2012, 03:56 PM
The distraction that Tim Tebow would bring is not worth it. The old geezer Catholics in Pittsburgh would want him the same way they wanted Hanratty in 1969. All about the Rooney Family vala's.

grotonsteel
03-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Tebow sucks.....!!!!!!!!!

So Steelers would not upgrade their O-line but want to spend money on a player who can't throw the ball???

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Crash, I doubt the Rooneys would dump Ben for the local catholics. I don't think anyone said he should be a #1 for pittsburgh, hell maybe not even a #2, but he would add value over an unproven rookie qb taken in the 6-7 rounds. AND he may just learn something sitting behind a true franchise qb (compared to Orton or Quinn). Batch and Leftwhich are both done. We need two back up qbs, and frankly our #2 & #3 are not currenlty on the team. I say exhaust all options and don't write someone off because he doesn't play the way an armchair GM wants him to.

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Tebow sucks.....!!!!!!!!!

So Steelers would not upgrade their O-line but want to spend money on a player who can't throw the ball???

Who is available to upgrade the o-line with? If they're smart (which they are), they'll address it in the draft. I think O-line is our biggest need, but the pickings have been slim so far.

Sugar
03-20-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't know that I'd want to chase after Tebow, but we do need a backup QB. IMO, as a backup he'd be better than what's left of Batch or Leftwich. He'd improve the ground game, that's for sure and having a high character guy in the locker room would be a good thing to me. Besides, our receivers are used to playing improvisational ball so maybe it doesn't present as much a problem to us as to other teams?

The fact is that some other team will probably end up signing him for more than we'd give him anyway.

Crash
03-20-2012, 04:04 PM
How much did Denver value Tebow's alleged "character"?

We have plenty of high character guys on this team.

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 04:09 PM

enough to dump their starting QB last year.
sugar I agree. I don't want to give up a ton for him, but a 6-7? not a bad trade.

steelz09
03-20-2012, 04:09 PM

The majority of Cowher's high character guys are no longer on the team... Smith, Farrior, Hines and likely Starks.

I guess they still have Polamalu, Clark, and Keisel but that's mostly defense.

grotonsteel
03-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Who is available to upgrade the o-line with? If they're smart (which they are), they'll address it in the draft. I think O-line is our biggest need, but the pickings have been slim so far.

Eric Winston 4yr/22million.

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Eric Winston 4yr/22million.
so roughly 5 million per. Does he play guard? no? guess back to the draft we go.

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Right now, we aint signing anyone. gotta get MW locked up first anyway. Then worry about draft picks. Don't think for a minute that if we traded for Tebow we wouldn't rework his deal though.

grotonsteel
03-20-2012, 04:23 PM
so roughly 5 million per. Does he play guard? no? guess back to the draft we go.

No but he is an upgrade over oft injured/ min 1 penalty per game Colon.

Again its not my money but if Rooneys sign Tebow and take that contract from Denver+ give a draft pick in process i would say ARII is crazy.

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 04:27 PM
No but he is an upgrade over oft injured/ min 1 penalty per game Colon.

Again its not my money but if Rooneys sign Tebow and take that contract from Denver+ give a draft pick in process i would say ARII is crazy.

you're preaching to the choir about Colon. I would never have signed him to an extension after his injury. It is what it is though. We gotta hope like hell he can stay healthy this year.
and about the contract for TT, IF we traded for him, you can bet they're gonna lower his contract. In fact anywhere he goes is gonna ask him to take a pay cut. unless he finds a starting gig somewhere.

Sugar
03-20-2012, 04:32 PM
The majority of Cowher's high character guys are no longer on the team... Smith, Farrior, Hines and likely Starks.

Baby, that's ALL Defense! ;)

The money aside, a backup QB with starting playoff experience would be worth a 6th rounder for a team like the Steelers who have no clear #2 guy right now. Especially when they have good character and positional flexibility. Of course, the money won't be a side issue so somebody else will pay the man.

grotonsteel
03-20-2012, 04:34 PM
you're preaching to the choir about Colon. I would never have signed him to an extension after his injury. It is what it is though. We gotta hope like hell he can stay healthy this year.
and about the contract for TT, IF we traded for him, you can bet they're gonna lower his contract. In fact anywhere he goes is gonna ask him to take a pay cut. unless he finds a starting gig somewhere.

Jags are gonna throw big money towards him. Tim Tebow will fill that stadium.

If Steelers sign Tim Tebow cheap and he is willing to play FB/RB/WR/TE then i think it will be a good deal for Steelers. But Tim Tebow wants to play only one position in NFL and that is QB and i don't think he is a NFL QB.

Crash
03-20-2012, 04:36 PM

Hines? LOL

Troy, Keisel, Hampton, Miller, Ben, ABrown, Heyward, Woodley, etc.

Crash
03-20-2012, 04:37 PM
People who think Tebow can play a position like FB or RB are delusional.

D Rock
03-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Hines? LOL

Seriously? You consider Ben to be more of a high character guy than Hines?

When you and Mark Madden cuddle at night, who gets to be the big spoon?

Crash
03-20-2012, 04:45 PM
All you have on Ben are "accusations".

It's FACT that Hines:

Divorced his wife because he cheated on her throughout their marriage.

Ran a bar with a convicted federal drug dealer. And somehow, needed said drug dealer to be a middle man to purchase two cars for Ward's "friends".

Let's also not forget that Hines and said business partners were ORDERED by a judge to return the money used to buy the cars into the bars accounts. And when they were sued, filed BK to avoid his own teammates having to testify in court as to what went on at the bar.

Now, pull up all the quotes of Hines over the years when he slams his head coach (Cowher), his GM, his owner, teammates, etc.

It's not even close.

The ONLY thing that Hines had going for him, was because he kissed the local media's ass, they let most of it go.

It's funny, Ben is supposed to be this "bad guy", and yet, several of the high character guys on this team, like Miller, Hoke, Keisel, and Troy were/are among his closest teammates besides his linemen.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Somebody anticipated the possibility of Tebow joining the Steelers--and wrote a hilarious article about it--a couple of years ago:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704133804575198302612365316.html

steelz09
03-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Hines? LOL

What we really need is Tomlin's "guys" to step up and become high-character leaders but I'm not seeing it.

Heyward - I have high hopes for.

Woodley - Yes

A. Brown - This year is his year to become a leader.

Is that it?? And please don't mention Pouncey's name after what he said to the fans... That's not a "high-character" leader.

Shoe
03-20-2012, 09:46 PM
The people talking smack on Tebow are homers, pure and simple. Now I'm not saying he's a starting QB in this league... because I don't think he is. But I do think he is an NFL player, and I think he's earned that. You who are dismissing him are disrespectful to this guy.

He is a NFL caliber backup at least. He also offers that wildcat dimension. That's certainly worth a 6th or 7th round pick. I'd certainly prefer him to Batch or Leftwich.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2012, 10:49 PM
The people talking smack on Tebow are homers, pure and simple. Now I'm not saying he's a starting QB in this league... because I don't think he is. But I do think he is an NFL player, and I think he's earned that. You who are dismissing him are disrespectful to this guy.

He is a NFL caliber backup at least. He also offers that wildcat dimension. That's certainly worth a 6th or 7th round pick. I'd certainly prefer him to Batch or Leftwich.

Homers? Not wanting to trade for Tebow to be your backup QB has nothing to do with being a Steeler homer. If we wanted to go outside of the organization for a backup, I would have preferred to sign a FA QB to a backup deal such as Jason Campbell, Kyle Orton, Chad Henne, David Garrard, etc. instead of trading for Tebow (and taking over his 1st round contract). If my starting QB got hurt, I would prefer to have one of those guys who can actually throw and run my offense instead of having to convert my entire offense into some goofy triple option mumbo jumbo for Tebow. Has nothing to do with being a "homer."

Jaxsontheman
03-20-2012, 10:50 PM
No way the steelers should go after Tebow . He brings way to much spotlight they minds will sign T.O while there at it

Shoe
03-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Homers? Not wanting to trade for Tebow to be your backup QB has nothing to do with being a Steeler homer. If we wanted to go outside of the organization for a backup, I would have preferred to sign a FA QB to a backup deal such as Jason Campbell, Kyle Orton, Chad Henne, David Garrard, etc. instead of trading for Tebow (and taking over his 1st round contract). If my starting QB got hurt, I would prefer to have one of those guys who can actually throw and run my offense instead of having to convert my entire offense into some goofy triple option mumbo jumbo for Tebow. Has nothing to do with being a "homer."

I'm not saying we should. And I'm not disagreeing with anything you just wrote. I'm referring to the people who are acting like he is some sort of joke as an NFL player. That's wrong. I acknowledge his >50% completion percentage... but I also realize that he has a lot of skills that others don't and some that are actually quite rare.

If you weren't one of those who were disrespecting him by calling him some sort of joke... then my comments weren't directed toward you.

focosteeler
03-21-2012, 01:31 AM

Iím not intentionally disrespecting him by stating facts. Sometimes the truth hurts and in Tebowís case the facts make him look bad. I think he barely qualifies as an NFL backup. Yes he is a good guy and a good football player but he flat out stinks at throwing the ball, which is what a QB is supposed to do.

A guy with his personality/popularity causes problems as a back-up. He is constantly in the spotlight and trying to be the vocal and emotional leader which puts strain on the guys out there actually leading the team on the field during the game. Anywhere he goes if he is a back-up you will have people questioning why he isnít playing and all that stuff that happened in Denver this past season.

Yes, he had success in Denver. But that was because they could run the ball very effectively despite opponents knowing what was coming at them. If I remember correctly there were a couple games he had 15 or less attempts. There is no way that could work for the Steelers with the O-line we have even if it was only for a couple of games.

Iím sorry, but people give him way too much credit, his stats are horrible and his successful style of play, if you can call it that, can only last so long. People will figure him out and Tebowtime will end. Denverís defense did great this year and Matt Prater, their kicker who won the game with a FG 4/7 of the wins since tebow had been starting.

I donít want a big project QB on the roster taking up a roster spot

fezziwig
03-21-2012, 08:47 AM
the brightest day in tebows career will be his victory over the steelers in the playoff. he has already peaked. i like the guy and that he has something in him as a good person and all that goes along with that. he's no qb and as someone mentioned, our corners are so bad at times or can be exposed when, lebeau gives no respect to the passing game, any qb would have torched us like that.
the only position tebow might be good at is TE and i doubt the steelers want to take him on as a project. i would take him over johnsons sorry ass because i believe tebow would actually get better in time. unlike johnson.

Slapstick
03-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Okay, so YOU Slap, being the big Kordell fan you were way back when, have to admit that Cowher benching Mike Tomczak for Kordell in 1997 was the wrong move.

Tomczak won 10 games as a starter, a division title, and 1 playoff game.

And he got demoted.

If I recall correctly, the Steelers made it to the AFC Championship game that season...

And Kordell accounted for more than 30 TDs (passing & rushing)...

That year, the Steelers won 11 games and a playoff games...

Didn't Tomczak throw more INTs than TDs in 1996?

So, how is that the wrong move?

I think you're having an entirely different discussion than I am...

feltdizz
03-21-2012, 08:49 AM

They only homer in this discussion is you...

Do you really want to run the wildcat with the weapons we have at WR? Denver dismissed him for a reason.

Slapstick
03-21-2012, 08:56 AM
They only homer in this discussion is you...

Do you really want to run the wildcat with the weapons we have at WR? Denver dismissed him for a reason.

Because they gave Peyton Manning $95 million...if Manning turned them down, Tebow would be the starter in Denver...God forbid Manning have a bad game with Tebow still on the roster...the fans would flip out...

BradshawsHairdresser
03-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Denver dismissed him for a reason. Yeah...the reason was, they got Peyton Manning! There's a good number of NFL teams who would do the SAME with THEIR starting QB, if THEY could get a healthy Peyton Manning instead! But I know, you don't think Tebow would even be in the NFL if it wasn't for him being known as a Christian.:-?

feltdizz
03-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Yeah...the reason was, they got Peyton Manning! There's a good number of NFL teams who would do the SAME with THEIR starting QB, if THEY could get a healthy Peyton Manning instead!

But I know, you don't think Tebow would even be in the NFL if it wasn't for him being known as a Christian.:?:?

yeah... Elway really made it obvious that Tebow was their long term solution before Manning came on the scene. LOL...

..and I said he wouldn't be in the NFL "as a QB" if he didn't have the christian brand behind him...

he would be playing FB or TE if it wasn't for the scriptures on his face.

feltdizz
03-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Because they gave Peyton Manning $95 million...if Manning turned them down, Tebow would be the starter in Denver...God forbid Manning have a bad game with Tebow still on the roster...the fans would flip out...

Tebow might have been the starter in Denver if Manning turned them down but everyone knows Elway wasn't convinced Tebow was the answer at QB. You can only gimmick for so long before teams figure you out. He was on a 3 game losing streak and looked awful the last few weeks before we turned him into a superstar.

I give him credit for torching us but a lot of QB's could've torched us the way we played D in that game.

Djfan
03-21-2012, 09:35 AM
We need a new area like the General Discussion area for every free agent who pops up. Truth is they ALL should be picked up by the Steelers, right?

Let's call it the "Salary Cap Busting" room, or "We Don't Need No Stinking O-Linemen" room, or "Sign this guy" room.

I knew that this thread was coming when I saw that the Broncos signed The Neck to start their dynasty.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-21-2012, 09:50 AM
yeah... Elway really made it obvious that Tebow was their long term solution before Manning came on the scene. LOL...

There are plenty of other teams who aren't sold on their QB as their "long term solution." Does that mean their current QBs are all schleps who shouldn't be playing that position at all in the league?

...and I said he wouldn't be in the NFL "as a QB" if he didn't have the christian brand behind him...
he would be playing FB or TE if it wasn't for the scriptures on his face.
I don't remember you saying anything about him making it as a FB or a TE (and we discussed this ad nauseum). But if you did say that, doesn't that sort of prove the point that Tebow could have value to a team as a multi-position weapon?

Crash
03-21-2012, 09:51 AM
If I recall correctly, the Steelers made it to the AFC Championship game that season...

And Kordell accounted for more than 30 TDs (passing & rushing)...

That year, the Steelers won 11 games and a playoff games...

Didn't Tomczak throw more INTs than TDs in 1996?

So, how is that the wrong move?

I think you're having an entirely different discussion than I am...

Kordell led the AFC in picks in 1997, funny how that always gets left out.

My point is, if Tebow is so great based on his NFL record, then Kordell should have never replaced Tomzcak, who in 1996 won more games, and the same number of playoff games, as Tebow did last season.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-21-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm not one who is advocating trading for Tebow. We don't have the cap space, and that would be a hefty salary for a role player who in only in for a dozen or so plays a game. But I'll bet someone will give him a flyer...of course, we know he wouldn't get that chance if it wasn't for the "scripture written on his face." ;-)

Crash
03-21-2012, 09:58 AM
if Manning turned them down, Tebow would be the starter in Denver

I don't buy that, Elway NEVER WANTED Tebow. In fact, they only played him to shut the fans up. They basically played him knowing that he would struggle throwing and that his "performance" would justify their getting rid of him. The only problem was their defense played well for him, and they were winning close games with bizarre luck that morons here were claiming came from a "higher power" because of Tebow.

Then the luck ran out, they lost their last 3 regular season games but backed into the playoffs because Carson Palmer sucks, and Tebow was playing awful.

Then LeBeau made him look like Unitas before reality came the next week against the Pats who showed him no respect.

But Elway has never wanted Tebow long term. If a better option came along, Peyton or not, and Elway had a chance to get it? He would have.

Slapstick
03-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Kordell led the AFC in picks in 1997, funny how that always gets left out.

My point is, if Tebow is so great based on his NFL record, then Kordell should have never replaced Tomzcak, who in 1996 won more games, and the same number of playoff games, as Tebow did last season.

Whether or not he led the AFC in INTs (What, 17?) He still accounted for way more TDs than INTs...

The irony is, the Steelers replaced a successful 36 year old QB with a younger, "option" QB and were more successful...

The Broncos are replacing a successful, younger "option" QB with a 36 year old...

In both cases, the Steelers and the Broncos, the team feels (felt) that they upgraded the QB position...

In 1997, the Steelers definitely did...we'll see how 2012 shakes out...

Crash
03-21-2012, 10:13 AM
The irony is, the Steelers replaced a successful 36 year old QB with a younger, "option" QB and were more successful...

Actually they didn't. The Steelers rarely ran the option with Kordell behind center. They did designed runs with him, but not nearly in the same option offense as he ran at CU.

Slapstick
03-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Actually they didn't. The Steelers rarely ran the option with Kordell behind center. They did designed runs with him, but not nearly in the same option offense as he ran at CU.

True. I realize that. But they both were predominantly option QBs in college...

Now than Mularkey is HC in Jacksonville, it would be interesting how much of the "buffalo" package he installs, should Tebow go there...

feltdizz
03-21-2012, 12:41 PM
There are plenty of other teams who aren't sold on their QB as their "long term solution." Does that mean their current QBs are all schleps who shouldn't be playing that position at all in the league?

I don't remember you saying anything about him making it as a FB or a TE (and we discussed this ad nauseum). But if you did say that, doesn't that sort of prove the point that Tebow could have value to a team as a multi-position weapon?

There are plenty of QB's who aren't long term solutions but the list of QB's who have horrible mechanics and horrible accuracy is slim... and most view them as expendable players who wouldn't be missed.

I've said it countless times.. Tebow is a GREAT football player... but he is a HORRIBLE QB... and I mean HORRIBLE!

Oviedo
03-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Anywhere Tebow goes will become a 10-ring circus. Unless it is a top tier team with a star QB it will be a disaster. With TTebow you get a football version of "mob rule" where is fans take over and create chaos for the players, coaches and management.

I like Tebow but the best thing that Denver did was getting Manning and sending Tebow on his way.

feltdizz
03-21-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm not one who is advocating trading for Tebow. We don't have the cap space, and that would be a hefty salary for a role player who in only in for a dozen or so plays a game. But I'll bet someone will give him a flyer...of course, we know he wouldn't get that chance if it wasn't for the "scripture written on his face." ;-)

The Jets will take him because they love hype and media buzz...

The Jags will take him because he will fill the stadium...

Sugar
03-21-2012, 12:47 PM
There are plenty of QB's who aren't long term solutions but the list of QB's who have horrible mechanics and horrible accuracy is slim... and most view them as expendable players who wouldn't be missed.

I've said it countless times.. Tebow is a GREAT football player... but he is a HORRIBLE QB... and I mean HORRIBLE!

OK, but haven't the Steelers always placed a high value on "Football Players" and guys with positional flexibility. This isn't a guy who can only be a QB. Sure he can serve as a backup QB. He also provides athleticism to do a lot of other things as well- a gadget guy if you will.

If all we had to do was give up a sixth for him I'd do it easy. That said, somebody else will pay the man so it's not like he'd actually come here anyway.

SteelBucks
03-21-2012, 12:56 PM

I agree. Nice guy, terrific athlete but a bad QB.

birtikidis
03-21-2012, 12:56 PM
He's a jet. traded for a 4th

SteelBucks
03-21-2012, 12:58 PM

LOL. Sanchez, Tebow and Santonio all on the same team. Get out the popcorn!!!

focosteeler
03-21-2012, 01:04 PM
lol. Sanchez, tebow and santonio all on the same team. Get out the popcorn!!!

can't wait!!! :d

feltdizz
03-21-2012, 01:14 PM

I'm not surprised at this move by the Jets... the HC craves the spotlight and Tebow will bring tons of it with him. It will also be awesome watching a back up QB get all the endorsements and front page news.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-21-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm sure Ryan wanted him because he has Scriptures written on his face. Good thing he isn't a Muslim or Buddhist. ;-)
:D:D:D

feltdizz
03-21-2012, 01:16 PM
OK, but haven't the Steelers always placed a high value on "Football Players" and guys with positional flexibility. This isn't a guy who can only be a QB. Sure he can serve as a backup QB. He also provides athleticism to do a lot of other things as well- a gadget guy if you will.

If all we had to do was give up a sixth for him I'd do it easy. That said, somebody else will pay the man so it's not like he'd actually come here anyway.

How many gadgets have we run the last 5 years? It sounds great but we don't really know how flexible Tebow is... I'm pretty sure he only wants to be a QB.

feltdizz
03-21-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm sure Ryan wanted him because he has Scriptures written on his face. Good thing he isn't a Muslim or Buddhist. ;-)
:D:D:D

NYC has more Muslim Mosque then any other city in America....

Ryan wants Tebow because he has the media spotlight on his face...

phillyesq
03-21-2012, 01:21 PM
LOL. Sanchez, Tebow and Santonio all on the same team. Get out the popcorn!!!

That trio, with the New York media thrown in, should make for solid entertainment.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Wrong, Dizz! Ryan wants Tebow because he thinks he can help the Jets WIN. It's just that Ryan, unlike a lot of other coaches, isn't worried about the media spotlight that accompanies Tim. This move might work out for the Jets, or it might not; we will see.....but it goes to show that Josh McDaniels is not the only one in the NFL that thinks that Tebow might belong as a player (in spite of your disregard for him).

fezziwig
03-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Just when I thought that the Jets couldn't be more of a side show act, they bring in Tebow. Ha, ha, ha..........

birtikidis
03-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Just saw that the trade for Tebow may fall apart. something about the way it was worded.

feltdizz
03-21-2012, 03:23 PM
A Saint, a Sinner and a Weed Head walk into a bar.... you guys can finish the joke. :D

feltdizz
03-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Wrong, Dizz! Ryan wants Tebow because he thinks he can help the Jets WIN. It's just that Ryan, unlike a lot of other coaches, isn't worried about the media spotlight that accompanies Tim. This move might work out for the Jets, or it might not; we will see.....but it goes to show that Josh McDaniels is not the only one in the NFL that thinks that Tebow might belong as a player (in spite of your disregard for him).

OK :confused:

RuthlessBurgher
03-21-2012, 08:18 PM
A Saint, a Sinner and a Weed Head walk into a bar.... you guys can finish the joke. :D

They all run out of the bar when their former Jet teammate shoots himself in the leg again.