steelerkeylargo
03-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Presser this afternoon.

Jooser
03-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Presser coming soon................

Steelers plan Hines Ward press conference

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 20, 2012, 8:52 AM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/h-wardcatchvsrams.jpg?w=139 Getty Images
The Pittsburgh Steelers have announced a press conference today with their all-time leading receiver, Hines Ward (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/701/hines-ward). Presumably, the announcement will be that Ward is retiring from the NFL.

Although thereís no official word on the 36-year-old Wardís retirement, itís hard to think of any other reason that Ward would be making any type of announcement.

The Steelers released Ward early this month, and he has drawn no interest at all in the free agent market. Ward had noticeably slowed down last season, catching just 46 passes for 381 yards, for an average of only 8.3 yards a catch.
Now he appears to have accepted that his career is over. It was a brilliant career that saw him collect 1,000 catches for 12,083 yards and 85 touchdowns, with four Pro Bowls, two Super Bowl rings and a Super Bowl MVP award.
If Ward has played his final game, heíll be eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2017.

toddjammin
03-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Im glad Hines is going out this way and not playing for another team. Go out on a high note. Thanks for all you did Hines!!!!

Jaxsontheman
03-20-2012, 09:47 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have announced a press conference today with their all-time leading receiver, Hines Ward. Presumably, the announcement will be that Ward is retiring from the NFL.

Although thereís no official word on the 36-year-old Wardís retirement, itís hard to think of any other reason that Ward would be making any type of announcement.

The Steelers released Ward early this month, and he has drawn no interest at all in the free agent market. Ward had noticeably slowed down last season, catching just 46 passes for 381 yards, for an average of only 8.3 yards a catch.

Now he appears to have accepted that his career is over. It was a brilliant career that saw him collect 1,000 catches for 12,083 yards and 85 touchdowns, with four Pro Bowls, two Super Bowl rings and a Super Bowl MVP award.

If Ward has played his final game, heíll be eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2017.

Shawn
03-20-2012, 09:50 AM
I doubt he had a choice. I can't imagine anyone picking him up.

insanesteelersfan
03-20-2012, 09:54 AM
I think the true Haters out there will never give Hines the credit he deserves. Hines was always ALL Class. Always worked hard. Ended up with great Receiving stats yes. But he was easily the greatest single WR Blocker that EVER played the game. I mean the rules of the game were changed because of him. Hines IS...and SHOULD be a first Ballot Hall of famer.
And to see him NOT wear another teams uniform is one of the greatest things as a steelers fan that we will see.

Thanks Hines. God speed to you, and your family.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Thank God! I wanted to see that Smile one last time in Black & Yellow!

Shawn
03-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Insane, I agree but I wish Ward would have retired because he wanted to retire a Steeler. Instead he will retire because he can't find a team to pick him up. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

insanesteelersfan
03-20-2012, 10:04 AM
First off, I don't care how it happened. And second, IF we lose Wallace, and Cotchery, you could see Hines BACK in the Black & Gold. :-)

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2012, 10:06 AM

Black and GOLD...I hate that #&@%!^$ Wiz Khalifa!!!

Shawn
03-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm sure some won't care. I would prefer to see our legends have a greater affinity for the Steelers organization than they do to playing grandpa ball with another team. But, that might be just me. And the thought of having Ward needing to play for us again is a scary thought. Ward is long past his prime. Starting he would be lucky to catch 40 balls.

SteelBucks
03-20-2012, 10:10 AM

I agree. (Why do I need 10 characters to post a reply? There.....that should do it.)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-20-2012, 10:24 AM

lol
Black & yellow gold...Make everyone happy.

grotonsteel
03-20-2012, 10:49 AM
First off, I don't care how it happened. And second, IF we lose Wallace, and Cotchery, you could see Hines BACK in the Black & Gold. :-)

I only want to see Hines Ward as a WR coach. Steelers are in big trouble if Hines Ward is in game playing as a WR for black and gold.

grotonsteel
03-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Hines IS...and SHOULD be a first Ballot Hall of famer.

Through my Black and Gold glasses i would say yes but no way he is first Ballot HOF. IMO Hines Ward is a borderline HOF player

Crash
03-20-2012, 11:07 AM
The HOF selection chairman Rick Gosselin said last month that Hines was a HOF "long shot", at best.

Out of the top 10 in TDs and he's only 18th in yards. In this era? That's not good.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-20-2012, 11:17 AM
The HOF selection chairman Rick Gosselin said last month that Hines was a HOF "long shot", at best.

Out of the top 10 in TDs and he's only 18th in yards. In this era? That's not good.

Considering he played with Kordell Stewart as his QB, in a run-heavy offense, for a big portion of his career, I'd say he had outstanding statistics! :lol:

It doesn't really matter to me if he makes Canton or not...he's in my Steelers HOF right next to Swannie and Stallworth. Well done, #86!

Slapstick
03-20-2012, 11:31 AM

It could also depend on postseason performance...

Unlike a lot of WRs with 1,000 catches (Tim Brown, Cris Carter) Hines' per game statistics are BETTER in the postseason vs the regular season...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Now that's the way I want to remember #86! Great Job Hines...You will be missed. We are so blessed to have seen A Smith & Ward now step away with class. Brought a tear to my eye!

NC Steeler Fan
03-20-2012, 12:49 PM
YAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Man, that totally made my day!

Steelers>NFL
03-20-2012, 01:03 PM
YAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Man, that totally made my day!
^x2. Made my day as well. Very happy that Hines will have only worn one jersey throughout his career. :)

williar
03-20-2012, 01:32 PM
I going to miss you, Hines..... You're the best!!! Heart and Soul of the Steelers for the past 11 years... This team won't be the same.....

Jooser
03-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Hines Ward announces retirement: “I will remain a Steeler for life”Posted by Michael David Smith on March 20, 2012, 12:13 PM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/hinesward-e1324324154151.jpg?w=244 Getty Images
A tearful Hines Ward (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/701/hines-ward) announced his retirement from the NFL on Tuesday, saying that while he considered trying to sign on with another team after he was released by the Steelers, he decided he just couldn’t see himself ever putting on another team’s jersey.

“You guys meant the world to me,” Ward told Steelers fans. “This city and this organization means the world to me. So today I came back to Pittsburgh to grant Steeler Nation this one last request. Today I am officially retiring as a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don’t want to play in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep with me, and I will remain a Steeler for life.”
Ward said that after the Steelers told him they were cutting him, his initial reaction was to try to catch on somewhere else. But when he had time to consider what it would mean to play for another team, he decided he couldn’t do it.

“It is my love for the game that makes me want to continue playing,” Ward said. “I feel like I have a few good years left where I can make a difference and help a team. I am a competitor and I would love nothing more than to get back to another Super Bowl. But that’s the passion in me.”
Ward took the podium at the Steelers’ facilities and started by saying, “I’m not going to cry,” but moments later he stopped and wiped away tears for the first of several times.

The 2011 season was a tough one for Ward, who has slowed down in his mid-30s and isn’t the same player he once was. But Ward called the way his career ended the right way — starting as a Steelers rookie, becoming a Steelers star and going out as a Steeler until he couldn’t play anymore.
“There’s been some interest for other teams,” Ward said. “But I just couldn’t picture myself playing in another uniform.”

I couldn't stand seeing him in another uniform either.

Starlifter
03-20-2012, 01:45 PM
I loved how he took another shot at baltimore in his farewell presser. #86 is a jersey that will never go out of style at Heinz Field. That's how you can tell a player was special.

Oviedo
03-20-2012, 02:48 PM

Totally agree. To see him in another uniform would make me sick.

SteelBucks
03-20-2012, 04:54 PM
I just watched a replay of the PC....wow, damn emotional when he began thanking the fans. I don't think this will all hit me until training camp this summer when Hines isn't there.

Thank you Hines for 14 great seasons! You've done it all....2 SB Titles, 1 SB MVP, and the all time leading Steelers receiver in catches, yards, and TD's. It was a great ride! :Clap:tt2

calmkiller
03-20-2012, 06:30 PM
I haven't made it home yet but I can't wait to watch the presser. My favorite player ever retired today. But his jersey will live on every game week in my house. Thanks Hines!!

Steelerphile
03-20-2012, 07:10 PM
It was a good presser. I dabbed my eyes a few times along with Hines. He said it all the right way. Wearing the Black and Gold and belonging to Steeler Nation is special. The HOF voters will have to appreciate the intangibles that Hines had. The blocking, toughness, leadership and nose for the goalline. I hope they have voters who do.

steelz09
03-20-2012, 08:25 PM
I still think he could have played this year and put up decent #'s.

fordfixer
03-20-2012, 08:29 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d827b9c85/Hines-Ward-announces-retirement

Chadman
03-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Say all you like about 'having to move on' & 'players being past their prime'- there's still 'something' about losing guys like Ward & Smith...something not 'right'...but inevitable, obviously.

There will be other players, other Steelers that will capture the heart & mind. But for the good part of a decade & a bit- both these guys were 'us'...they were what we live & breath & believe in.

Hard to lose them in retirement, but easier than losing them to FA.

fordfixer
03-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Well said Chadman

Eich
03-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Agreed. I'm so glad Hines decided to retire. Having him to Heinz field now, celebrating his career, will be so much more satisfying and enjoyable than had he visited Heinz field in a different colored jersey.

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2012, 12:36 AM
My everlasting memory of Hines takes place in Detroit for Super Bowl XL. My father and I were staying in a hotel in Ann Arbor (much cheaper than downtown Detroit or the immediate surrounding neighborhoods for that particular weekend), and when we woke up the morning of the game, while my father was in the shower, I laid out my usual black Hines Ward jersey on my bed, and a brand new white Hines Ward jersey on his bed. He did not know that I had bought it for him...it was tough waiting that long to give it to him, but was ultimately worth the wait. He normally wears a black Lambert jersey to games, and for this game, he decided to wear both jerseys (since Hines plays WR like Lambert played LB). Greatest day of our football lives, and of course, it ended with Hines winning the Super Bowl MVP, putting the cherry on the sundae.

eniparadoxgma
03-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Awesome story and pic, RB. I'm going to miss ol' 86. :-(

steelersflow
03-24-2012, 02:57 PM
That was a sad day for me. One of the greatest Steeler players ever. Sad that the manning news overshadowed his announcement.