PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall may have played his last snap as a Steeler

SteelCrazy
03-19-2012, 08:59 PM
A month ago, Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert provided a gloomy outlook for running back Rashard Mendenhall’s recovery from a January 1 ACL tear. Colbert said the Steelers wouldn’t count on Mendenhall to be ready for Week One, and the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review subsequently reported Mendenhall would open the season on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

After speaking to team sources, Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has an even more pessimistic view of Mendenhall’s future.

Bouchette suggests Mendenhall has taken “his last carry” in Pittsburgh, and that he might not play at all in 2012.

Sources told the Post-Gazette that the Steelers don’t believe Mendenhall will return to form “until at least the 2013 season,” and by that point Mendenhall may have signed elsewhere. Due a $700,000 salary in the final year of his rookie deal, Mendenhall’s contract expires next March.

If this is it for Mendenhall’s Steelers tenure, it will end disappointingly. The 23rd pick in the 2008 draft did churn out two 1,000-yard seasons, but Mendenhall holds a pedestrian career average of 4.14 yards per carry and drew the ire of the Steelers’ organization in May of 2011. Mendenhall never seemed to improve after a promising 2009 season. His development in the passing game has plateaued in recent years, and on several occasions last season the Steelers’ offense operated more smoothly with Isaac Redman in the backfield.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/19/mendenhall-may-have-played-last-snap-as-a-steeler/

focosteeler
03-19-2012, 09:25 PM
if Mendy is gone the only guy left from that draft class is Mundy....what a baaaaaaad draft :(

hawaiiansteel
03-19-2012, 09:32 PM
if Mendy is gone the only guy left from that draft class is Mundy....what a baaaaaaad draft :(

we could always give Limas Sweed another chance...:HeadBanger

Lebsteel
03-19-2012, 09:50 PM
At the time of that draft, I was sure that it was going to be a great draft class with Mendy and then somehow getting Sweed in Rd. 2. MAYBE our scouting was not as good as most others...or maybe it was just bad luck. I even thought Davis, Hills and Dixon were great picks. WOW! A horrible draft!

Jaxsontheman
03-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Mendenhall is a bum sorry to say but the dude never ran north and south. He just run 3 feet and then he would just dance in place and he didn't run like that he wouldnt have torn his ACL...

squidkid
03-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Mendenhall is a bum sorry to say but the dude never ran north and south. He just run 3 feet and then he would just dance in place and he didn't run like that he wouldnt have torn his ACL...

he liked to run his mouth

Djfan
03-19-2012, 11:28 PM
This info is obvious. If anyone didn't see this coming I would be surprised.

Chadman
03-19-2012, 11:30 PM
he liked to run his mouth

No he didn't. Where did you dig this up from?

TD386Steel
03-19-2012, 11:34 PM

I think he's talking about the Osama Ben Laden comments which didnt sit well with ownership

D Rock
03-19-2012, 11:35 PM

It was never really the mouth. He did run his fingers though.

Chadman
03-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Think what you like of his comments- he certainly didn't 'run his mouth'. He stated his opinion that most disagreed with. Freedom of speech & all that, right? You are allowed to voice your opinion from memory.

If that's running his mouth- same should be said for Harrison, Clark, Ward etc. in relation to comments about Goodell.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Aside from the off-field stuff, I never felt really solid with Mendenhall as our RB. He seemed to be more promise than production, that big play potential was shown far too infrequently. Not entirely his fault with our poor OL, but both Redman and Moore managed better production back there.

focosteeler
03-20-2012, 12:45 AM
I would still like to keep him if he comes cheap. which might happen, especially if he sits out the entire season with the ACL

squidkid
03-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Think what you like of his comments- he certainly didn't 'run his mouth'. He stated his opinion that most disagreed with. Freedom of speech & all that, right? You are allowed to voice your opinion from memory.

If that's running his mouth- same should be said for Harrison, Clark, Ward etc. in relation to comments about Goodell.

And I'm stating that he is a piece of **** and that he did run his mouth about bin laden and how nfl players are like slaves............throw those ignorant comments in with his fumble that costs us the superbowl and I cant wait to see him off this team. Just my opinion.

steelz09
03-20-2012, 03:37 PM
And I'm stating that he is a piece of **** and that he did run his mouth about bin laden and how nfl players are like slaves............throw those ignorant comments in with his fumble that costs us the superbowl and I cant wait to see him off this team. Just my opinion.

He has a right to have an opinion and so do you and I. One thing I hate about celebrities, athletes, etc is that they think their opinion is worth more because they can reach more people than you and I via facebook and twitter. Like I said, he had a right to his opinion and you and I have a right to voice ours... My opinion is that he made a complete fool of himself. My other opinion is that I think he's overrated and never performed at a 1st round pick level. If he's back, then that's fine. If not, we'll just need to find a guy that:

1) Can't break any tackes.
2) Runs with his eyes closed.
3) Tap dances behind the LOS.

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 03:42 PM
I could care less what he said. God, people are so damn sensitive. Grow up. I do have a problem with the way he fumbled, wouldn't fight for a yard and stopped in the hole. Sure he had speed but whupty do.

Sugar
03-20-2012, 03:51 PM
I'd love to have him back, if possible. He's a good back and I'm sure the Rooney's will let this thing play itself out. As for the Twitter thing, it doesn't really matter. If as many people followed me as followed him, I'd have plenty of controversial things too.

feltdizz
03-20-2012, 03:58 PM
I could care less what he said. God, people are so damn sensitive. Grow up. I do have a problem with the way he fumbled, wouldn't fight for a yard and stopped in the hole. Sure he had speed but whupty do.

When the best compliment for your #1 RB is "if that was Mendy instead of Redman he would have scored" it's time to move on.

Shawn
03-20-2012, 03:59 PM
ACLs need 2 years. I'm not saying someone can't come back before then, but 2 years is what it takes for a running back to be "back to form". And even that is a fallicy. Mendenhall will never run the same. The anatomy of the knee, therefore the kinetics of running for him will always be different. Can he come back in 2013 and be a great back? Sure. But, I agree with Bouchette...Mendenhall is likely done in the Burgh unless he is willing to sign a very conservative contract.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-20-2012, 05:06 PM
ACLs need 2 years. I'm not saying someone can't come back before then, but 2 years is what it takes for a running back to be "back to form". And even that is a fallicy. Mendenhall will never run the same. The anatomy of the knee, therefore the kinetics of running for him will always be different. Can he come back in 2013 and be a great back? Sure. But, I agree with Bouchette...Mendenhall is likely done in the Burgh unless he is willing to sign a very conservative contract.

And this is not Adrian Peterson we would be waiting on. I said it awhile ago and will repeat it again. There is no need to keep him on the roster for next season.

squidkid
03-20-2012, 05:27 PM

I think people that lost loved ones during the 911 attack or ones that have actually been directly effected by slavery have the right to be sensitive about those subjects. I would hope that you dont think those people need to 'grow up'.

Oviedo
03-20-2012, 05:48 PM
I think people that lost loved ones during the 911 attack or ones that have actually been directly effected by slavery have the right to be sensitive about those subjects. I would hope that you dont think those people need to 'grow up'.

I agree about 9/11 families, but no one has been "directly effected by slavery" in 147 years in the US so that is just a politically correct hot button issue used for political purposes.

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 05:51 PM
When the best compliment for your #1 RB is "if that was Mendy instead of Redman he would have scored" it's time to move on.
unfortunatley, the quote too often is "if that were Redman we would have scored" as most of those rush attempts from the 1 were mendy

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 05:54 PM
I don't feel he was "insensitive" (god I feel like a pu$$y just saying that) about the people who were directly effected by the death of loved ones. He questioned why it happened. I never heard him say one derogatory thing about the loss of life. Seems to me he's questioning a government that's growing more corrupt by the day.

Chucktownsteeler
03-20-2012, 05:57 PM

Good point, Chadman.

I would like to see Mendy come back and run behind a solid line and another OC that does not have the initials B.A. Our running plays had all the imagination of a 4-year old and amounted to running up Kemo's butt-crack.

Chadman
03-21-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't feel he was "insensitive" (god I feel like a pu$$y just saying that) about the people who were directly effected by the death of loved ones. He questioned why it happened. I never heard him say one derogatory thing about the loss of life. Seems to me he's questioning a government that's growing more corrupt by the day.

Actually- the thing that he really said was that he was upset that people in the US were celebrating the death of another man.

Excellent point Mr Mendenhall. Maybe if more people saw it his way, there would be less to and fro as far as violence goes.

And Birt is right- there was nothing in what Mendenhall said that was insensitive, he made valid, thought out observations. That they go against the grain of common belief seems to be his biggest mistake. If this is any kind of reason for getting rid of Mendenhall, then the Steelers should add Ben, Clark, Harrison, Woodley..etc to the "get rid of them" crew.

Quick- bring in Tebow!

Djfan
03-21-2012, 10:56 AM
and amounted to running up Kemo's butt-crack.

I am now qualified to go home sick, after barfing on my computer.

phillyesq
03-21-2012, 01:29 PM
At the time of that draft, I was sure that it was going to be a great draft class with Mendy and then somehow getting Sweed in Rd. 2. MAYBE our scouting was not as good as most others...or maybe it was just bad luck. I even thought Davis, Hills and Dixon were great picks. WOW! A horrible draft!

I think the problem in that draft was that the Steelers did not scout Sweed and Mendenall with much intensity. Mendenhall was projected to be gone long before the Steelers pick, and Sweed was also projected, by some, as a first round WR. Perhaps the Steelers assigned a grade, didn't think these guys would be available, and then didn't do the diligence they would ordinarily do.

A pick like Hills doens't bother me too much. He was a boom or bust pick, and he busted. The one that does sting is Bruce Davis. The Steelers scouted Cliff Avril, and he was available in the third, but decided on Davis.

To really drive yourself nuts, had they taken Avril, they likely would not have taken Worilds, and instead taken Sean Lee. Now, perhaps Avril would have left this year in FA, but the Steelers would then be looking only for a developmental OLB, not a near-term starter at ILB, and would have had better depth last year. I'm not a big fan on the woulda/shoulda/coulda line of reasoning, but I've thought about this one on a few occasions.

fezziwig
03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
I never thought Mendenhall was a bad back. Give the guy a fullback and watch Mendy tear up the field.

steelz09
03-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Actually- the thing that he really said was that he was upset that people in the US were celebrating the death of another man.

Excellent point Mr Mendenhall. Maybe if more people saw it his way, there would be less to and fro as far as violence goes.

And Birt is right- there was nothing in what Mendenhall said that was insensitive, he made valid, thought out observations. That they go against the grain of common belief seems to be his biggest mistake. If this is any kind of reason for getting rid of Mendenhall, then the Steelers should add Ben, Clark, Harrison, Woodley..etc to the "get rid of them" crew.

Quick- bring in Tebow!

I'd keep Mendenhall if he comes cheap... otherwise, I'd show him the door. When we drafted him, I thought he was going to be a stud. After watching him play, I'd say he was overrated and not a good selection in the 1st round. Maybe, he's just not a good fit in our offense.

But then again, maybe he just needs to:

1) Open his eyes when he runs
2) Not run in the back of o-lineman
3) Run w/ anticipation
4) Not tap dance behind the LOS.
5) Learn how to break a tackle and not break his shoulder in the process

He's a guy that can be easily replaced.... Take the money and sign a guard.

ikestops85
03-21-2012, 04:00 PM
I'd keep Mendenhall if he comes cheap... otherwise, I'd show him the door. When we drafted him, I thought he was going to be a stud. After watching him play, I'd say he was overrated and not a good selection in the 1st round. Maybe, he's just not a good fit in our offense.

But then again, maybe he just needs to:

1) Open his eyes when he runs
2) Not run in the back of o-lineman
3) Run w/ anticipation
4) Not tap dance behind the LOS.
5) Learn how to break a tackle and not break his shoulder in the process

He's a guy that can be easily replaced.... Take the money and sign a guard.

I remember the days when everyone was saying the same things about FWP and how Mendy was the future. Back then I said it's the offensive line that's the problem and I'll say that again now. Both FWP and Mendy don't have a running style for our line. They both needed to be sprung to the 2nd level to be successful and our line can't do that consistently. That's just the type of runner they both are (or were in FWPs case). We need a guy that can break tackles and always fall forward. Even if the hole isn't there hit it anyway and get a yard or two. Don't stop in the backfield and look for somewhere else to go.

I think our running game will improve with Redman getting more carries but that doesn't neccessarily mean he's a better back than Mendy. He just has a style that better fits our line right now.

Shawn
03-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Ikestop you are a wise man.

Oviedo
03-21-2012, 04:39 PM
I remember the days when everyone was saying the same things about FWP and how Mendy was the future. Back then I said it's the offensive line that's the problem and I'll say that again now. Both FWP and Mendy don't have a running style for our line. They both needed to be sprung to the 2nd level to be successful and our line can't do that consistently. That's just the type of runner they both are (or were in FWPs case). We need a guy that can break tackles and always fall forward. Even if the hole isn't there hit it anyway and get a yard or two. Don't stop in the backfield and look for somewhere else to go.

I think our running game will improve with Redman getting more carries but that doesn't neccessarily mean he's a better back than Mendy. He just has a style that better fits our line right now.

Anyone who is not Jerome Bettis or Franco Harris will not be an acceptable RB to most Steelers fans. Even Franco gotripped constantly by fans because he avoided unnecessary contact. Times have changed and that style of offense won't win championships.

steelblood
03-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Yes, this is why I think we will take a running back with some speed in this draft. Barron Batch is a great kid, but he hasn't been fully healthy in years. We can't count on him.

feltdizz
03-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Anyone who is not Jerome Bettis or Franco Harris will not be an acceptable RB to most Steelers fans. Even Franco gotripped constantly by fans because he avoided unnecessary contact. Times have changed and that style of offense won't win championships.

My mom hated Franco because he avoided contact. LOL.

I never understood the hate for FWP. He made the most out of what he had... same with Redman. Mendenhall has all the tools... but he leaves a lot of yards on the field.

fezziwig
03-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Franco was smart with saving his body for the next play, game or his lifes future. I wonder how many games he would have missed had he fought for an extra yard or two. The thing about Francos days, he knew he had an o-line that could get him the yards on the next play.
I don't understand the hate for Willie either. No one can deny he didn't try hard, run hard.

Crash
03-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Franco wasn't even a power back. He was a shifty back with quick feet and break away speed. Ditto for the best years we had Jerome in 1996 and 1997.