PDA

View Full Version : Willie Gay to Cards?

Chadman
03-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Reports are that Willie Gay is visiting with the Cards. With the Steelers busy trying to sort out the Wallace situation, there is some chance we could lose "Big Play" this year. He has had us riding him for a couple of years, but last season he provided solid play at a budget price.

Let's hope the youngsters are ready to go.

BigRob
03-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Reports are that Willie Gay is visiting with the Cards. With the Steelers busy trying to sort out the Wallace situation, there is some chance we could lose "Big Play" this year. He has had us riding him for a couple of years, but last season he provided solid play at a budget price.

The coaches and FO are very high on Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown.

hawaiiansteel
03-19-2012, 09:29 PM
now there's shocking news :shock:

Pittsburgh West is interested in a Steelers player...

focosteeler
03-19-2012, 09:34 PM
the site-which-must-not-be-named is saying he has a visit with the Titans as well

phillyesq
03-20-2012, 07:19 AM
the site-which-must-not-be-named is saying he has a visit with the Titans as well

I just heard from somebody in Pittsburgh that local news is reporting that Gay will visit the Titans. He was very solid last year. I think he works best as a part time starter/nickel back. I'd love to have him back at a reasonable number, but if he gets big money elsewhere, I wouldn't try to match.

Oviedo
03-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Whisenhunt has already proven he can be a loser with Steelers cast offs and apparently wants to keep on losing. He must have absolutely no scouting ability whatsoever and must be a terrible talent evaluator. Players he has brought in generally are mediocre at best.

Ghost
03-20-2012, 08:53 AM
It'd be no loss if Gay went elsewhere. Lets see what they have with the young guys. They only have to be mediocre at best to match and I think they will be better than that.

Shawn
03-20-2012, 09:54 AM
I think some forget that Gay is a very good nickle back. He will certainly be a loss. Hopefully the youngsters step up.

birtikidis
03-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Is annyone still pi$$ed we hired Tomlin instead of Whiz? I'm not. Never was.

ikestops85
03-20-2012, 11:15 AM

I'm with you ... I was never a Whiz for HC fan.

Slapstick
03-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Even if you were pi$$ed, the 6th Lombardi should make you feel better...

Oviedo
03-20-2012, 02:52 PM

Never, never, never. Not for one second. The Rooneys found the better man and he has proven it every year he has been here. Whisenhunt has only proven he can win with Kurt Warner carrying him on his back.

phillyesq
03-22-2012, 08:26 AM
From ESPN, Gay is apparently deciding between a few teams, including the Steelers:

Also, Steelers free-agent cornerback William Gay, who started 15 games last season, posted on Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/williamgay22/status/182614431270838272) that all of his free-agent visits are complete and will decide between Pittsburgh, Denver, Arizona and Tennessee.

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2012, 09:03 AM
From ESPN, Gay is apparently deciding between a few teams, including the Steelers:

Denver? Tennessee? Arizona? I wonder if Willie Gay made those teams come down to Duke University to watch him work out? :D Other than the Niners, he's got the Peyton tour pretty well covered there (of course, he probably just thought a headline of "Gay to San Francisco" would just be rendundant). ;)

phillyesq
03-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Denver? Tennessee? Arizona? I wonder if Willie Gay made those teams come down to Duke University to watch him work out? :D Other than the Niners, he's got the Peyton tour pretty well covered there (of course, he probably just thought a headline of "Gay to San Francisco" would just be rendundant). ;)

But think of the endorsements he could get in San Fran. Sales of his jersey would skyrocket.

Shoe
03-24-2012, 07:48 PM
"very good" nickel back. People tend to throw terms around a bit too easily. He was a subpar starter, we all know that. As a nickel back, he was/is average at best IMO. I mean, was he assignment sound and generally where he's expected to be? Probably. After all, he's been in the system for 5+ years... I should hope so.

I would certainly consider a guy like Deshea Townsend a very good Nickel. William Gay? No way.

fezziwig
03-24-2012, 08:12 PM
I won't miss William Gay. Never impressed me as a nickle and thought he was a lousy corner. Whether we have a better corner in our young guys, I don't know but, I rather the Steelers to continue to search and improve the position. Deon Figures, Townsend, Taylor have been our best corners since Woodson and you might as well throw Willie Williams in there too. This team needs corners and safties in a big way.

RuthlessBurgher
03-24-2012, 11:34 PM
I won't miss William Gay. Never impressed me as a nickle and thought he was a lousy corner. Whether we have a better corner in our young guys, I don't know but, I rather the Steelers to continue to search and improve the position. Deon Figures, Townsend, Taylor have been our best corners since Woodson and you might as well throw Willie Williams in there too. This team needs corners and safties in a big way.

Figures was never the same player after a bullet went through his car door and into his leg. He only a regular starter for us for one season (out of four) and then was out of the league two years after we let him walk.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-25-2012, 12:09 PM
its official.

gay to cards.

phillyesq
03-25-2012, 04:59 PM
its official.

gay to cards.

Looks like he is projected to be a #3 or #4 corner with AZ. I'll be interested to see what the salary numbers are.

Crash
03-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Good. Time to see what our young CBs we drafted can do.

Won't miss Gay getting torched in big games.

fordfixer
03-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Steelers CB Gay signs with Cardinals
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, March 25, 2012
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_788321.html

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. The Steelers have lost their first significant free agent, as cornerback William Gay has agreed to sign with the Arizona Cardinals.

"We knew that was a possibility," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said today, shortly after arriving for the NFL owners meetings. "His representatives had been in contact with us. We were aware of his trips and that he was going to get offers and he got an offer that he took."

When asked if the Steelers had made Gay a counter offer in hopes of retaining the fifth-year veteran, Colbert said, "We were in discussions with him, yes."

Gay came into his own in 2011, starting 15 regular-season games and tying for the team-lead in interceptions with two. Gay tied for second on the Steelers in passes defended with 13.

His loss provides an opportunity for Keenan Lewis and second-year men Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown. Gay had hoped to re-sign with the Steelers, but the team does not have much room under the salary cap.

"We always knew we could lose a guy like William," Colbert said. "We have three young guys in the mix. It doesn't stop us from addressing (cornerback) in the draft. It really doesn't alter any preparation at this point."

Gay had visited the Cardinals as well as the Tennessee Titans and Denver Broncos.

In Arizona he will be reunited with Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton and assistant defensive backs coach Deshea Townsend. Horton was Gay's position coach from 2007-10 and he and Townsend were teammates from 2007-09.

Read more: Steelers CB Gay signs with Cardinals - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_788321.html#ixzz1qBpLWqSu

SteelBucks
03-26-2012, 07:16 AM
its official.

gay to cards.

At first it was funny of Whiz' desire to sign FA from the Steelers. Now it's just sad...

Oviedo
03-26-2012, 08:10 AM

I love the fact that LeBeau may have no choice but to let the young guys play. Let's see what we have instead of waiting for three years.

Oviedo
03-26-2012, 08:13 AM
At first it was funny of Whiz' desire to sign FA from the Steelers. Now it's just sad...

I agree. It is pathetic how Whiz is like a leach on the Steelers organization. He and his staff must be horrible at evaluating talent. Professionally he should be embarassed. It would be like Tomlin signing every former Vikings who got cut or was a FA.

I think we can all agree now that we got the better coach.

steelblood
03-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Ovi, could you address your hate for LeBeau and his antiquated ways and your unflappable support for Tomlin? It seems that if you can see the errors in LeBeau's ways, Tomlin should be able to as well. LeBeau is an institution, but if Tomlin wanted him to tweak his system or let more young kids play, he could exert such influence and do it without upsetting LeBeau. But, he doesn't step in. It just seems that if you are going to criticize LeBeau so much you are also indicting Tomlin for enabling him instead of managing him.

Sword
03-26-2012, 08:25 AM
But think of the endorsements he could get in San Fran. Sales of his jersey would skyrocket.

:D:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:
sword

SteelAddicted
03-26-2012, 08:28 AM
See ya later Gay!! thank goodness. He was possibly the worst Steeler corner ever.

RuthlessBurgher
03-26-2012, 10:09 AM
See ya later Gay!! thank goodness. He was possibly the worst Steeler corner ever.

*cough*cough*Tim McKyer*cough*cough*Ricardo Colclough*cough*cough*

Chadman
03-26-2012, 10:16 AM

Psst! Donnell Woolford!!

RuthlessBurgher
03-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Psst! Donnell Woolford!!

I'll see your Donnell Woolford and raise you a Hank Poteat! :p

Chadman
03-26-2012, 10:52 AM
I'll see your Donnell Woolford and raise you a Hank Poteat! :p

Damn! Foiled again!

Imagine a Defensive Backfield of Woolford, Poteat, Scott Shields & Brent Alexander......

Djfan
03-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Maybe that team would pick up Bosworth as a free agent?

Chadman
03-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Maybe that team would pick up Bosworth as a free agent?

We could only hope....

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Damn! Foiled again!

Imagine a Defensive Backfield of Woolford, Poteat, Scott Shields & Brent Alexander......

Can we add Tim McKyer (Steelers era) as a nickel?

Also, who plays SS in your D backfield? We might need to add Lee Flowers from his last season or two as a strong safety.

SteelBucks
03-26-2012, 11:27 AM

McKyer wasn't the worst...but he is the reason for my San Diego nightmares. Going back a little, "Beltin" Delton Hall would get my vote. He did nothing in Pittsburgh but he did master the 15 yard personal foul penalty.

Crash
03-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Bosworth wasn't a bust. Injuries ruined him. He was actually a very solid player. The arthritis in his shoulders ended his career.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-26-2012, 11:30 AM
I love the fact that LeBeau may have no choice but to let the young guys play. Let's see what we have instead of waiting for three years.

You do know that Keenan Lewis - in his fourth year - will likely be penciled in to start.

Crash
03-26-2012, 11:31 AM

McKyer was solid too. One play shouldn't define his ability that year. Btw, if he picks that pass off and scores? Doesn't matter one bit we still may have lost.

Donnell Woolford, Harvey Clayton, DJ Johnson, Sammie Walker, and Sam Washington those guys should be at the top of the list.

Chadman
03-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Hehe- see? Crash agrees with Chadman- Donnell Woolford.

Ghost
03-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Damn! Foiled again!

Whoever allowed Shields to put on #47 should have been fired immediately!

Steelhere10
03-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Oh my ... Have we forgot Lupe Sanchez ? Maybe that was before some of you youngsters time . lol

fordfixer
03-26-2012, 11:19 PM
General manager Colbert, Steelers not in free agency rush
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, March 26, 2012
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_788342.html

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. If Kevin Colbert didn't state the obvious Sunday shortly after arriving at the posh Breakers Resort, the Steelers general manager sure came close.

"As you can see, we haven't done much in free agency," Colbert said on the eve of the NFL owners meetings. "Nor do we plan on it at this point."

The Steelers' approach has been they'll get to free agency when they get to it. That de facto club policy has been taken to another level this offseason, given the team's salary cap situation.

But on the same day the team lost starting cornerback William Gay to Arizona he agreed to a two-year deal with the Cardinals Colbert said the Steelers are hoping to bring back a number of their own free agents, including receiver Jerricho Cotchery.

The Steelers appear to have the kind of depth to weather the loss of Gay, who emerged as a pleasant surprise in 2011. The one caveat, as Colbert said, is that Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown have yet to prove they can start.

Less clear is the situation at receiver.

The Steelers had a logjam there last season. Now they are only assured of returning two of their top five receivers following the release/retirement of Hines Ward and the uncertain statuses of Cotchery and Mike Wallace.

Cotchery is an unrestricted free agent who already has visited the Kansas City Chiefs. Wallace is a restricted free agent that teams have until April 20 to sign.

Colbert expressed optimism that both will be with the Steelers at least for the upcoming season.

The Steelers can match any offer Wallace receives or get that team's first-round draft pick in return.

"Ultimately it's our decision," Colbert said. "One thing we do know is we'll make the decision and nobody else."

The Steelers don't have that same leverage with Cotchery, but they have stayed in contact with him and his agent, Jack Scharf.

"It's not like he's looking to leave," Colbert said. "I think he'll leave if it's best for him and his family, but I think deep down he wants to stay."

The Steelers are believed to be $6 million to $8 million under the salary cap, which likely would limit what they can do in free agency.

But Colbert said the Steelers could make roster moves to create the flexibility that would allow them to sign free agents such as Cotchery -- or lock up Wallace with a long-term deal.

Among the players the Steelers have interest in bringing back are quarterbacks Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch and running back Mewelde Moore.

The Steelers, Colbert said, haven't ruled out re-signing Max Starks, who started the final 13 games at left tackle but is recovering from a torn ACL.

"We'll do what we have to do to field the best team in 2012," Colbert said, "and that could include making more subtractions."

Three for one

Cornerback William Gay, who has agreed to a two-year deal the Arizona Cardinals, tied for the Steelers' lead in interceptions (two) in 2011 and tied for second in passes defended (13). Here are the candidates to take his place in the starting lineup:

Cortez Allen: Fourth-round pick in 2011 showed he is more than just a project as he worked his way into defensive backs rotation. Allen recorded nine tackles in 15 games but missed the Steelers' AFC wild-card game because of a shoulder injury.

Curtis Brown: Third-round pick in 2011 established himself as a special-teams standout, though he may enter offseason practices behind Allen. Brown led the Steelers with 15 special-teams tackles despite missing final three games because of a knee injury.

Keenan Lewis: Started to show why Steelers used a 2009 third-round draft pick on him as he saw extensive action in the nickel package. Lewis' first career interception preserved the Steelers' 13-9 win at Kansas City.

Read more: General manager Colbert, Steelers not in free agency rush - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_788342.html#ixzz1qHdxrgLr

Chadman
03-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Regardless of how 'easy' Willie Gay will be to replace, he provided decent play at a budget price last season. And he seems like a good guy- the team seems to like him.

Wish him the best.

RuthlessBurgher
03-27-2012, 12:25 AM
My lasting memory of Willie Gay will be him channelling Li'l Jon (or at least the Dave Chappelle version of Li'l Jon) at the Super Bowl parade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpJ5HKU3uRA