PDA

View Full Version : Wallace or Brown? Who to keep in 2013

SteelCrazy
03-19-2012, 12:01 PM
If we retain Wallace for the 2012 season at 2.7 million (this is assuming no one gives us their 1st rd pick this year, we refuse to match salaries) meaning we dont agree to a long term contract, who do you want to keep and sign to a long term deal in 2013, Wallace or Brown? It is slightly possible we keep both receivers and sign them to high paying contracts, but I believe not. I think we only keep one of these guys for the 2013 season unless our salary cap situation is in decent shape following next season and even then there may be a good chance one is still let go. However, we could place the franchise tag on Wallace after next season which would be in the double digits and sign Brown. There are a few different scenarios but I'm not going to list all of them because all of them require big money. So, the question remains. Who do you keep and why?

Mick'sTeam
03-19-2012, 12:12 PM
With Manning going to the Broncos, I bet they get in the mix for Mike Wallace, meaning we would end up with their 1st round pick, #25.

Crash
03-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Yep. I expect Denver to go get Wallace.

Oviedo
03-19-2012, 12:33 PM

Denver certainly promised Manning something WRT personnel. Is Wallace on of the things? We'll see.
I still think Wallace sticks with Steelers but never know.

williar
03-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Wallace or Brown? Hoping that we have them both in 2012, I think Wallace is going to "blow-up" even more under Todd Haley. I think last year Wallace was misused and grossly under utilized. Wallace is a game breaker. He's always a touchdown waiting to happen if you get him the ball where it needs to be thrown. I love Brown too but if there is a choice to be made, I'm taking Wallace. His skill-set makes the entire WR core better. I think Brown is more replaceable.

steelblood
03-19-2012, 01:37 PM
If Wallace is retained this year on the RFA tender, we can franchise him or give him a long term contract next season and give Brown the high tender. So for 12.5 million or so we keep both for 2013. Brown likely will not be as coveted as Wallace would as an RFA.

focosteeler
03-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Wallace or Brown? Hoping that we have them both in 2012, I think Wallace is going to "blow-up" even more under Todd Haley. I think last year Wallace was misused and grossly under utilized. Wallace is a game breaker. He's always a touchdown waiting to happen if you get him the ball where it needs to be thrown. I love Brown too but if there is a choice to be made, I'm taking Wallace. His skill-set makes the entire WR core better. I think Brown is more replaceable.

I agree, with a guy like Haley who will play to the teams strengths they will both excel this year. I say lock them both up for 5+ years now if we can. I think the way the NFL is going you can afford to keep both since you wont break the bank on a RB. But we need 2 legitimate WR

Dee Dub
03-19-2012, 01:40 PM

Never gonna happen!! You guys act like you just woke up and became football fans. This doesnt happen in the NFL. No team is going to pay WR money then have to give up a first round pick as well. Pipe dream.

To answer the post question....we keep them both.

Look past the trees and see the forest. There is going to be a boat load up fat trimmed of of this current roster this time next year. Just like this year.

Dee Dub
03-19-2012, 01:44 PM
If Wallace is retained this year on the RFA tender, we can franchise him or give him a long term contract next season and give Brown the high tender. So for 12.5 million or so we keep both for 2013. Brown likely will not be as coveted as Wallace would as an RFA.

Exactly!! Blood you get it. If the Steelers want certain players and they are in their prime, they have always done everything possible to keep them. And with both of these two the Steelers have several options.

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Colbert/Khan will figure out a way to keep both (unless one of them morphs into a Burress or Holmes by pouting, getting to legal troubles, etc.). If I was forced to choose, I'd take Wallace, because he has more pelts on the wall than Brown and has one elite skill that comes around only once or twice per generation. While I love Brown, he skill set could be replaced...Wallace's skill set? Not so much.

Crash
03-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Never gonna happen!! You guys act like you just woke up and became football fans. This doesnt happen in the NFL. No team is going to pay WR money then have to give up a first round pick as well. Pipe dream.

You need to learn the history of the Denver Broncos. If they sign Wallace it would be the 3rd (at least) high profile WR from another club they signed to an offer sheet since real free agency began in 1993.

SteelCrazy
03-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Dee Dub, I see your point and I think you have swayed my thinking. I really didnt think it out much because between family and work who has time to think about the Steelers 2013 pre-season? However, you're right and the Steelers will try to keep both, but I still think there is a good chance we lose 1 of them after this season.

Oviedo
03-19-2012, 03:48 PM

To answer the post question....we keep them both.

Look past the trees and see the forest. There is going to be a boat load up fat trimmed of of this current roster this time next year. Just like this year.

yOU MEAN "NEVER" LIKE pEYTON mANNING GETTING CUT BY THE cOLTS. a SHORT TIME AGO THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A "NEVER."

aggiebones
03-19-2012, 04:03 PM
When you get Manning, you don't overpay to WRs. You get good ones that he can work with. They have Thomas and we all saw what he did to Ike last year. He will upgrade the WRs they have.

It is a low chance that someone takes Wallace. And when noone comes, he'll have to sign a solid contract or risk getting hurt over the FA dollars. Big risk for someone not wealthy yet. He'll sign a solid deal. Then we'll do the same thing with Brown next year. We'll have 2 top WRs for good but not back breaking money.
We'll pay Ben and the 2 WRs and Pouncey on offense, maybe Gilbert if he becomes studly and that's it. Then we'll pay our LBs, Ike and the DL will get solid contracts when they are due. But we won't see any of them look like Mario Williams because our schedule doesn't allow it. They will be paid well but not back breaking.

Omar has mapped this our faaar into the future. He has known this plan for a long time.

Crash
03-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Manning's really never dealt with 2nd tier WRs. He had both Harrison and Wayne together for years. Wayne and Dallas Clark together for years.

Unlike Ben, who's had a constant change around him at WR since he showed up in 2004.

Dee Dub
03-19-2012, 04:23 PM
You need to learn the history of the Denver Broncos. If they sign Wallace it would be the 3rd (at least) high profile WR from another club they signed to an offer sheet since real free agency began in 1993.

Not gonna happen Crash. Keep thinking it will though. :p

steelblood
03-19-2012, 05:06 PM

Dub,

I'm sure everyone here saw what Atlanta did last year giving up 2 number one picks (plus a 2nd rounder and two 4th rounders) for an unproven rookie WR. We've seen Al Davis and Daniel Snyder pull off some crazy deals. We saw the Hershell Walker deal that got Dallas 3 firsts, 3 seconds, and a handful of players for Walker and some middle round picks. There was Mike Ditka's draft day trade for Ricky Williams -- a whole draft for one rookie RB. Signing Wallace to a contract and giving up a late first rounder may be unlikely, but it is not impossible. Not even close. I don't believe it will happen. But, I don't doubt that it could.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-19-2012, 05:38 PM
If the Steelers want both receivers then they can keep both. It is not like contracts are structured so that we pay $10M to each per year so that equals $20M per year. Salaries escalate, and by the time both are due big money then either we will have the room after 2014, or one can be released if he is not earning his keep. Contract structure is the important thing with an NFL contract, not average salary.

Shawn
03-20-2012, 09:44 AM
First, let the year play out before deciding. Second, while Wallace is a one trick pony, his trick keeps DCs up at night. He changes game plans. He opens up the run game and underneath routes. Brown is clearly more well rounded. But, he doesn't worry DCs. He is another very good balanced WR. If forced to choose, I choose Wallace even though I think Brown may go down as having a better career.