PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace situation still up in the air

fordfixer
03-18-2012, 03:03 AM
Mike Wallace situation still up in the air (http://nfl.si.com/2012/03/15/mike-wallace-situation-still-up-in-the-air/) [/URL][url]http://nfl.si.com/2012/03/15/mike-wallace-situation-still-up-in-the-air/?sct=nfl_bf3_a7 (http://nfl.si.com/category/pittsburgh-steelers/)

http://sinfl.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/mike-wallace.jpg (http://sinfl.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/mike-wallace.jpg)Mike Wallace is one of the premier big-play threats in the NFL. (Getty Images)

With each free-agent wide receiver signing, the spotlight progressively focuses in on Pittsburgh’s Mike Wallace.
The Steelers, with their financial hands tied this offseason, hit Wallace with a first-round tender — meaning that Wallace is free to talk with other teams, but that the Steelers have an opportunity to either match any contract offer presented him or receive a 2012 first-round pick as compensation.
And yet, Pittsburgh doesn’t seem outwardly nervous about the situation, despite the fact that any team in need of a receiver could swoop in and price the Steelers out of the Wallace market at any moment.
Part of that confidence comes from the compensation factor — losing Wallace would be a huge blow to the Steelers’ offense any way you cut it, but they’ve shown an ability to find receivers in the draft and would have two first-round opportunities to do so if Wallace departed.
The other reason behind Pittsburgh holding steady is that, while the rash of free-agent WR signings could push teams in Wallace’s direction, the flip side of it is that the market for a potential long-term deal with Wallace is being set. DeSean Jackson’s contract (five years, $51 million with $15 million guaranteed) might be a starting point for what’s fair for Wallace; he’s outproduced Jackson over the past two seasons.
The breakdown of the Jackson contract, especially, could play to Pittsburgh’s advantage.
Jackson’s 2012 cap hit will only be in the neighborhood of $3 million, as he’ll work off a $750,000 base salary plus a signing bonus. The remainder of that deal stretches out over the four following seasons and gives the Eagles a fairly cost-effective out after 2013.
Wallace would be guaranteed $2.7 million next season under the first-round tender, so a slight bump for 2012 plus a longer-term solution structured similarly to Jackson’s might be possible, even with Pittsburgh’s stifled cap situation.
Of course, the longer Wallace dangles atop the free-agency board, the greater chance there is that a team coughs up its first-rounder and a loaded contract for him. The NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi pitched Cincinnati as a possible Wallace suitor on Wednesday, and that’s precisely the type of team that makes sense.
The Bengals (on top of being a Pittsburgh rival) have ample cap space, meaning they would not have to push Wallace’s money to future seasons. Cincinnati also owns two first-round draft picks, so sacrificing one could be worthwhile.
At just 25, Wallace has already proven himself as a terrific NFL wide receiver. He made 72 catches for 1,193 yards and eight touchdowns last season; 60 grabs for 1,257 yards and 10 TDs in 2010.
Chalk some of that up to playing in Pittsburgh’s talented attack and having Ben Roethlisberger throwing the football, but there’s no doubt Wallace is a legit big-play threat whenever he touches the ball.
That teams haven’t lined up for Wallace tells you two things: 1. The value of a first-round pick remains extremely high; and 2. Pittsburgh may be ready to match any offer that’s not through the roof.
That said, this story is a lot closer to the beginning than the end. After seeing the run on free-agent wide receivers Tuesday and Wednesday, it seems unlikely that Wallace simply slides by as a restricted free agent without a nibble from another team or a long-term extension from his own.
Who will blink first?
Pittsburgh seems comfortable no matter the answer.

Lebsteel
03-18-2012, 10:06 AM
C'mon Bengals, do it!!

NJ-STEELER
03-18-2012, 01:29 PM
C'mon Bengals, do it!!
\

really?

we already have to double cover Aj green. what if wallace is on the other side?

that said, no where in that teams history suggest they will go out and pay wallace that much. especially when green will need a new (big) contract soon

Wallace108
03-18-2012, 03:20 PM
\

really?

that said, no where in that teams history suggest they will go out and pay wallace that much. especially when green will need a new (big) contract soon
Yeah, Green and Wallace would be a scary duo to have to cover. Although when a player joins the Bengals, I think they're issued an orange jumpsuit and shackles. The shackles would slow him down a little. 433

Lebsteel
03-18-2012, 05:34 PM
\

really?

Yeah, I don't WANT to give up Wallace, but I don't want the Steelers to pay him $10 mil + per year either. But, I would love to have the 21st and 24th picks in the draft. Cordy Glenn AND Donte Hightower? Trade our 3rd round pick and No. 21 and move up and take DeCastro and then Hightower. That is certainly worth considering. However, the thought of Green and Wallace together is very scary.

SteelBucks
03-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Anyone else getting tired of the Mike Wallace talk? Stay, go....I'm starting not to care. Just be over already.

pittpete
03-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Wallace doesnt have any arrests or the Bengals would've jumped on him allready:p

insanesteelersfan
03-18-2012, 10:46 PM
If the Bengals signed Wallace, they would have to give their 17th pick, not the 21st. Just say'in :-)

Snatch98
03-18-2012, 11:17 PM
If the Bengals signed Wallace, they would have to give their 17th pick, not the 21st. Just say'in :-)

They pick 21st. I believe 17 is the raiders pick.

insanesteelersfan
03-18-2012, 11:34 PM
They pick 21st. I believe 17 is the raiders pick.

I don't think it matters. If a team has Multiple picks in round 1, and the compensation is a 1st rounder, the higher of the two picks goes to the team not matching a offer sheet.

hawaiiansteel
03-19-2012, 02:27 AM
I don't think it matters. If a team has Multiple picks in round 1, and the compensation is a 1st rounder, the higher of the two picks goes to the team not matching a offer sheet.

insane, is this you? :Cheers

squidkid
03-19-2012, 07:02 AM

it's their original pick

BO-BO
03-19-2012, 08:46 AM
I think the Steelers need to keep Wallace for the simple fact he makes Brown even more of a threat. It would be the same scenario with the Bengals. You cannot double cover both receivers, but what makes the Steelers even more frightening is that they have a quality tight end with Miller.

insanesteelersfan
03-19-2012, 09:06 AM
it's their original pick

I would have thought the same thing. But it's not. This is from another site, a tweet from the main scout at nfldraftscout.com....

Matt Miller ‏ @nfldraftscout
Clearing up RFA compensation, new NFL
documents says "its own [draft pick] or better." Example, Bengals would be #17,
Patriots #27, etc.

Quote:

Matt Miller ‏ @nfldraftscout
If a team signs another team's RFA,
they must pay the tender (first round, etc.) at their highest draft pick in that
round.

So if Cincy, or New England signed Wallace and we did not match it, we would get their highest selection, no matter if it came from another team in another deal.

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2012, 10:08 AM
New England franchised Welker, then signed Brandon Lloyd and Anthony Gonzalez. They're out.

San Francisco signed Randy Moss and Mario Manningham to go with Michael Crabtree. They're out.

Baltimore has to worry about signing long-term deals with Ray Rice and Joe Flacco. They're out.

Chicago traded two 3rd round picks to get Brandon Marshall. They're out.

Mike Brown is a cheap bastage who would never fork over a huge contract that we'd be unable to match. They're out.

Mike Wallace will be playing for the Steelers this season (as he should be).

insanesteelersfan
03-19-2012, 10:20 AM
And Cincy and Denver...are they out ? What about the Rams ? I mean yes they have the 6th pick. But, if they were gonna use that to take a WR, and Blackmon will be gone by 6, do you really think they would rather keep that pick, and draft Floyd of Notre Dame, and his 4 DUI's in the past 3 years ?...Or Mike Wallace. We are definitely not out of the woods yet as far as losing Wallace. Yes I WANT him re-signed...but I DON'T want him to play for us this season for the tender offer, and leave in 2013 outright, and we get nothing.

aggiebones
03-19-2012, 10:31 AM
It doesn't appear Cinci 'needs' Wallace more than they need 2 first round picks.

BUT, to me MBrown may not value the 1st rounders as some GMs do. So that is a concern.

Imagine all his first round failures. If he could get a guarantee in Wallace versus his success in the first round? He may do it.
Then you factor in that he wouldn't trade Palmer for multiple first rounders like he could have or Ocho Cinco when Washington was trying to give away first rounders for him. I just don't think he cares about picks.
That could spell trouble. But that said, I' willing to wait it out.
This is not Wallace's doing, it the way the league works. This is more the Steelers slow playing than Wallace holding out..at this point. Just got to play it through to the end and not be impatient.

By the way, I assume we'd get Cincy's second 1st rounder, not the first one since they have 2.
Correct?

Oviedo
03-19-2012, 10:33 AM
New England franchised Welker, then signed Brandon Lloyd and Anthony Gonzalez. They're out.

San Francisco signed Randy Moss and Mario Manningham to go with Michael Crabtree. They're out.

Baltimore has to worry about signing long-term deals with Ray Rice and Joe Flacco. They're out.

Chicago traded two 3rd round picks to get Brandon Marshall. They're out.

Mike Brown is a cheap bastage who would never fork over a huge contract that we'd be unable to match. They're out.

Mike Wallace will be playing for the Steelers this season (as he should be).

I agree with you, however hypothetically what if part of Manning's agreement to sign with Tennessee or Denver is that they get him a big time WR?

BO-BO
03-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Do you think Ben would do another restructure on his contract in order to have the cap space to keep Wallace?

BO-BO
03-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Cincy already gets a first round pick from the raiders and if Palmer can do something he hasn't been able to do (win a playoff game) they would get another first rounder in 2013.

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Do you think Ben would do another restructure on his contract in order to have the cap space to keep Wallace?

Ben's already converted all by the veteran minimum portion of this year's base salary into signing bonus. You can't get more salary relief from Ben. That being said, we could structure an extension for Wallace with a base minimum salary, so his salary cap hit would only be 685K more than the prorated portion of whatever signing bonus we give him on a new deal (which shouldn't be much more than the $2.7M cap hit he is already taking up at the present time with the RFA tender).

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2012, 11:00 AM
MBrown may not value the 1st rounders as some GMs do.

Brown does value his greenbacks, though. He simply doesn't give out blockbuster big money deals.

Oviedo
03-19-2012, 12:29 PM
I agree with you, however hypothetically what if part of Manning's agreement to sign with Tennessee or Denver is that they get him a big time WR?

What could the FA moves be to make things the way manning wants them?

Manning's arrival will set in motion a string of personnel moves for the Broncos. Denver has had a free-agent plan strictly for if the team was able to sign Manning. The two sides now will pursue other players to bolster the roster, some of whom will be familiar to Manning. One interesting player is former Colts center Jeff Saturday (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/2055/jeff-saturday), whom Manning has always endorsed as invaluable to his own performance. A source said discussions related to Saturday, who was Manning's center with the Colts for 12 years, involved evaluations by all three teams' personnel and coaching staffs on whether he would be a logical fit for the team. However, Manning did not mandate that he and Saturday would be a package deal, sources said.

aggiebones
03-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Brown does value his greenbacks, though. He simply doesn't give out blockbuster big money deals.

That is true. He's not giving Wallace some unmatchable contract. He could however offer him something better than Wallace will get with no bidders. Cincy knows we'll match a respectable contract and they may not want us getting off easy. Or he could make a contract saying he has to play half the season in cincy. Something we can't match. Though I don't think Wallace would run to Cincy unless he has to.

BTW, this article clears up that Cincy would have to give their higher 1st rounder...so they are out, unless they trade it elsewhere before giving Wallace a contract.
http://steelblitz.com/offseason/shoring/

BO-BO
03-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Here is another thought, they could let Mendenhall go. I think Redman is a better back anyhow imo.

Chadman
03-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Just something to think about- right now the Steelers are strong at WR. But that strength is based on having Mike Wallace as well as Antonio Brown.

This is not a Wallace vs Brown thread.

But what if the Steelers lose Wallace, and we find out that Brown, a 6th round guy that has less than a full year's worth of experience starting, and is, realistically, a small, unproven commodity- what if we find out that Brown can't be the sole "go-to" guy?

We then fall back & depend on the running game right?

The same running game that sputtered & faltered with our most talented 1st Round RB in Mendenhall. The same running game that will hand the reigns to our undrafted, unwanted, slow RB in Isaac Redman. The same running game that has had no improvement offered in blocking from the interior OL.

Chadman isn't saying that Brown & the runing game are definately bad.

But they are not definately good, either.

Where as, we know Wallace is good.

Without Wallace- the Steelers offense is, quite honestly- a massive question mark.

NJ-STEELER
03-19-2012, 06:37 PM
spot on chadman

Eddie Spaghetti
03-19-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm with chadman.

and that's why I'm surprised that many feel like a late 1st rounder is a good trade off.

BO-BO
03-19-2012, 07:03 PM
I totally agree, and that is why I have been mentioning ideas to increase the Steelers cap space. Quite frankly I am worried about Denver taking him, and they have a lot more cap space to entice Wallace, and I think the Steelers need to be prepared for that.

Steelgal
03-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Agree with Chadman as well. I do think this year that his 'fame' kind of got to his head though. He has the capability to be an even better receiver than what we've seen. He needs to learn to fight for the ball and not let defenders get it, if it's not in the perfect place.

Also if he does go elsewhere, I think it's that much more important to get Cotchery. He has the experiece that our WR corps will need and I like what he can add to our offense. I'd still like to have Cotchery back either way. Sanders hasn't proven he can stay healthy and I'm not sure what we have with him anyway.

BO-BO
03-19-2012, 07:34 PM
I also like Cotchery, I think he brings what we lost with Hines Ward. He is a physical receiver, not afraid to go across the middle and he will fight for the ball.

Chadman
03-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Individually, Chadman likes all the Steeler WR's- they all provide different skills. Combined, they are an even greater threat- about as complete a 'group' as you will find.

But if you take away the heavy hitter in Wallace, Chadman likes the 'group' a lot less.

BO-BO
03-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Again I agree with you and do not forget to add Miller in the mix, yes he is a TE but he is still not somebody you want to ignore if you're playing defense. They work well together, but individually not sure how good they would be, with the exception of Miller.

insanesteelersfan
03-19-2012, 10:18 PM
People, Denver is a LOCK to sign Wallace. I mean it's not even a possibility they don't do it. You don't signa 35 year old Manning, and NOT give him the weapons he needs. And Denver has very little in the WR department. Now, that does not mean Pittsburgh can't match, but I suspect at over 10 million a year, they won't. So, with the 25th pick now, I assume the Steelers will go for a LB and a O-Linemen, or maybe a DL like Jerel Worthy of Michigan State, who I hear the steelers like. Although I don't know why. Worthy in no way is a NT. And neither is Ziggy Hood. But either way, if Wallace leaves, and IF he is still unsigned, I would not be surprised at all if Plexico Burress is signed to a deal. If for no other reason to please Ben. Then we will select a WR in the draft as well. But whom...who knows.

But Denver WILL absolutely make a offer to Wallace. The rest is up to the Steelers. Hate to see him go. Wallace is a Major stud.

Chadman
03-19-2012, 10:27 PM
If the Steelers lose Wallace they better draft a can't-miss RB because they'll have to fall back to leaning on the running game. If the Steelers seriously believe that a RB stable that features 3 undrafted RB's, a 7th rounder & a 6th rounder- none of them PROVEN to be effective starting RB's- running behind an OL that features 2 undrafted OG's that have PROVEN they can't consistantly run-block, is a recipe for success- then Chadman suggests we are in for a long season.

As much as Antonio Brown & Manny Sanders look promising, as much as Isaac Redman inspires us to believe he's a stud RB because he runs hard, the Offense is a shadow of itself, effectively, when you take away it's one, genuine strike weapon.

Every other skill player not named Roethlisberger is questionable in regards to proven success.

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Never gonna happen!! This doesnt happen in the NFL.No team is going to pay WR money then have to give up a first round pick as well. Pipe dream.

Denver is a LOCK to sign Wallace. I mean it's not even a possibility they don't do it. Denver WILL absolutely make a offer to Wallace.

I'm glad we cleared this up. ;)

insanesteelersfan
03-19-2012, 11:43 PM
If the Steelers lose Wallace they better draft a can't-miss RB because they'll have to fall back to leaning on the running game. If the Steelers seriously believe that a RB stable that features 3 undrafted RB's, a 7th rounder & a 6th rounder- none of them PROVEN to be effective starting RB's- running behind an OL that features 2 undrafted OG's that have PROVEN they can't consistantly run-block, is a recipe for success- then Chadman suggests we are in for a long season.

As much as Antonio Brown & Manny Sanders look promising, as much as Isaac Redman inspires us to believe he's a stud RB because he runs hard, the Offense is a shadow of itself, effectively, when you take away it's one, genuine strike weapon.

Every other skill player not named Roethlisberger is questionable in regards to proven success.

We'll need a RB anyways. My DREAM Draft scenario is this...( Sorta a dream )

" Trades " Steelers trade 24 to Miami for their pick at 42 in round 2, their pick at 73 in round 3, and their 5th rounder. This gives the Dolphins a chance to get a QB at 24, like Weeden. Then the Steelers trade their pick in round 2 ( 56 ) to Buffalo for their pick in round 3 ( 72 ) and their 4th and 6th rounders. Then the Steelers go with....

25) From Denver, Donta Hightower: ILB ( Alabama )
42) From Miami, Kevin Zeitler: G ( Wisconsin )
72) From Buffalo, Bernard Pierce: RB ( Temple )
73) From Miami, Josh Chapman: NT ( Alabama )
88) Our own 3rd, Ladarius Green: TE ( Louisiana-Lafayette )
4th from Buffalo: Ryan Lindley: QB ( San Diego State )
Our 4th rounder, Trenton Robinson: FS ( Michigan State )
5th from Miami, Marvin McNutt: WR ( Iowa )
Our 5th rounder, Ryan Miller: OL ( Colorado )
6th from Buffalo, Myles Wade: DT/NT ( Portland State )
Our 6th rounder, TJ Graham: WR/KR/PR ( NC State )
7th rounder. Carson Wiggs: K ( Purdue )

There, that is my " DREAM " Scenario...IF we should lose Wallace.

Crash
03-20-2012, 01:24 AM
My plan would be this if Wallace goes.

Sign Plax.

Use Plax with Brown and Sanders as a 3 WR base offense.

Take both #1 picks, trade them, move up and pick DeCastro.

Move Pouncey to OG and Legursky to center.

Gilbert/Pouncey/Legursky/DeCastro/Colon

You have the smarter center in Legursky at his natural position calling blocking schemes, and the better athlete in Pouncey at LG where pulling is vital in our rushing game.

Then you have Ramon Foster, and not Jon Scott, as the valuable "swing man" at both OG and OT.

NJ-STEELER
03-20-2012, 01:27 AM
People, Denver is a LOCK to sign Wallace. I mean it's not even a possibility they don't do it. You don't signa 35 year old Manning, and NOT give him the weapons he needs. And Denver has very little in the WR department. Now, that does not mean Pittsburgh can't match, but I suspect at over 10 million a year, they won't. So, with the 25th pick now, I assume the Steelers will go for a LB and a O-Linemen, or maybe a DL like Jerel Worthy of Michigan State, who I hear the steelers like. Although I don't know why. Worthy in no way is a NT. And neither is Ziggy Hood. But either way, if Wallace leaves, and IF he is still unsigned, I would not be surprised at all if Plexico Burress is signed to a deal. If for no other reason to please Ben. Then we will select a WR in the draft as well. But whom...who knows.

But Denver WILL absolutely make a offer to Wallace. The rest is up to the Steelers. Hate to see him go. Wallace is a Major stud.

huh?

denver with thomas has someone with a better pedigree then any of our wide receivers.

dont look at their stats cause tebow was throwing to them.

and im sure a late rounder/semi unporoven guy like decker gets as much love from their fan base as does AB with ours

insanesteelersfan
03-20-2012, 01:58 AM
huh?

denver with thomas has someone with a better pedigree then any of our wide receivers.

and im sure a late rounder/semi unporoven guy like decker gets as much love from their fan base as does AB with ours

OMG!! Demryius Thomas is better then Wallace ? Or anyone else we got ? Dude seriously, you just lost any and all credibility that you might have had with that ridiculously stupid statement!

Oviedo
03-20-2012, 08:03 AM
huh?

Thomas is not better than Wallace and Decker is coming off a knee injury coutesy of James Harrison. Denver needs guys to catch the ball and they need exactly what Wallace brings. Thomas is more a big, across the middle guy like TO. Wallace would give them the legit deep threat that Manning has always had.

That said I think the odds that they try to get Wallace is less than 1 in 4.

RuthlessBurgher
05-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Update on Mike Wallace
11:41 AM ET

Based upon what we've seen over the past several NFL offseasons, it's no surprise that there were no offer sheets on Pittsburgh Steelers RFA WR Mike Wallace. The only notable poached RFA in recent seasons was Ricky Manning, Jr., and he was tendered at a third-round level back in 2006. But just because there were no outside offers doesn't mean that things are hunky dory between the club and their top WR.

Wallace isn't too happy playing for the one-year RFA rate, and our NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported back in April that Wallace does not plan to sign the tender and will thus not be participating in the offseason workouts. Schefter reiterated that report during Tuesday's edition of "NFL Live," noting that that Wallace will not join the team "until he absolutely has to."

So when is that? The next date to keep in mind, according to ESPN AFC North blogger Jamison Hensley, is June 15. If Wallace has not signed his tender by then, the Steelers can reduce his one-year offer to 110 percent of his 2011 salary, which would be a reduction from $2.742 million to $577,500. So there's a risk for Wallace there, though Hensley doesn't believe that the Steelers want to aggravate a key offensive player:

- Tim Kavanagh

Jamison Hensley
I don't see either side taking it that far

"It would be a surprise to see Wallace show up for the offseason workouts. It would also be a surprise to see the Steelers reduce his tender. Pittsburgh would like to see its top receiver learning Todd Haley's new offensive scheme, but the Steelers also don't want to create a rift with a player they want to sign long-term. Wallace will probably report to the Steelers for the start of training camp."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors/_/date/20120516#15453

Mike Wallace still has no plans to sign tender

Posted by Evan Silva on May 15, 2012, 4:25 PM EDT

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported before the draft that Steelers receiver Mike Wallace wouldn’t sign his one-year restricted free agent tender “until he has to.”

While the Steelers have hoped to sign Wallace to a long-term deal, there has been no progress on that front. Schefter reiterated on NFL Live Tuesday that it “may be awhile” before the Steelers see Wallace at club headquarters, and Wallace won’t sign the tender “until he absolutely has to.”

The time for teams to poach restricted free agents has passed, but the Steelers now have to worry about Wallace missing OTA and minicamp action as they install a revised offense under new coordinator Todd Haley.

The Steelers have several upcoming offseason activities, and it doesn’t sound like Wallace is likely to attend any of them.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/15/mike-wallace-still-has-no-plans-to-sign-tender/

aggiebones
05-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Does he or his agent think he's a FA?
Does he think the Pittsburgh Steelers are going to throw leverage away and sign him to FA like contract?

Does he think missing ANY time will help or hurt him in the long run.
Best to sign a very nice contract and go play football. It will not benefit him to sit out at all. He could again be reduced to a sideline guy and could end up with a season similar to Des Jackson or worse Vincent Jackson. That would hurt him long term career-wise and short term in the wallet. You can't make up for having a missing season in your bank account. They will also likely franchise him next year.
So instead of his agent bellyaching and fussing in the media, he needs to get someone that understands negotiating and leverage before he makes a huge mistake.

Personally I don't think Wallace is the one causing the ruckus. He's been told to keep quiet in the media and let his agent do the talking and spill random bits of happiness 'from Wallace'
It won't work.

Oviedo
05-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Does he or his agent think he's a FA?
Does he think the Pittsburgh Steelers are going to throw leverage away and sign him to FA like contract?

Does he think missing ANY time will help or hurt him in the long run.
Best to sign a very nice contract and go play football. It will not benefit him to sit out at all. He could again be reduced to a sideline guy and could end up with a season similar to Des Jackson or worse Vincent Jackson. That would hurt him long term career-wise and short term in the wallet. You can't make up for having a missing season in your bank account. They will also likely franchise him next year.
So instead of his agent bellyaching and fussing in the media, he needs to get someone that understands negotiating and leverage before he makes a huge mistake.

Personally I don't think Wallace is the one causing the ruckus. He's been told to keep quiet in the media and let his agent do the talking and spill random bits of happiness 'from Wallace'
It won't work.

Unless Wallace gets in touch with relaity soon this has no way to go except bad. Welker signed his tender and he is a much more accomplished receiver than Wallace. Time to quit being stubborn. As Welker said, "I have 9.5 million reasons to sign." Wallace has 2.7 million reasons.

I have no idea what Wallace thinks he will accomplish. It is equivalent to a toddler holding his breath because he wants to show Mom and Dad how mad he is.

Sugar
05-16-2012, 01:48 PM
IMO, Wallace is taking the right approach thus far. Why sign until he has to? They have had him and his production for bargain prices. He can sign the tender and get back to playing ball, but only when it becomes necessary. No sense in giving his time and energy under the lowball rate until he absolutely has to.

Shawn
05-16-2012, 03:22 PM
IMO, Wallace is taking the right approach thus far. Why sign until he has to? They have had him and his production for bargain prices. He can sign the tender and get back to playing ball, but only when it becomes necessary. No sense in giving his time and energy under the lowball rate until he absolutely has to.

Agreed. He is trying to secure a sound financial future. Personally, I would sit out til week 10 unless the Steelers were willing to give a reasonable contract in the 8 mil per season range. He could run naked on the field while smoking crack in the locker room and would get that anytime of the day with any team in the nfl. If the steelers don't want to pay up they need to trade him.

birtikidis
05-16-2012, 03:40 PM
isn't it kinda sad that his monthly fines for holding out would be equal to what most people make per year.

Snatch98
05-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Agreed. He is trying to secure a sound financial future. Personally, I would sit out til week 10 unless the Steelers were willing to give a reasonable contract in the 8 mil per season range. He could run naked on the field while smoking crack in the locker room and would get that anytime of the day with any team in the nfl. If the steelers don't want to pay up they need to trade him.

I agree. I don't have a problem with what he's doing. I don't think he's looking for huge money but I do think he wants a respectable contract. I also believe the Steelers are going to give it to him. If it's not this season it will be next. Right now it's a chess match and it's not to the point where it's going to become a problem. I also don't believe we're going to be in dire straights if he does decide to hold out a bit. We still have Brown, Sanders and Cotchery.

EDIT: If the contract is deserved I don't have a problem with guys playing a little hard ball. Consider how players are often treated after they retire and you can understand why they want the security. If the players aren't making the money the owners are and in this instance Wallace is worth a respectable contract.

Flasteel
05-16-2012, 08:04 PM

A sound financial future? He'll have that regardless if he gets top-dollar or anything within the "fair" area code. Are you kidding me? It's the same sense of ego and greed which has infested pro sports and our society for too long.

How about doing your job?

How about understanding that the Steelers financial situation precludes them from breaking the bank this season?

How about understanding that he's got a brand new offense to learn?

What good does skipping out of OTA's or camp do for him...let alone sitting out until week 10? Retarded statement and misplaced sentiment. He can get paid a lot of money to live the dream and set himself up for a monster pay-day when he actually hits free agency next year.

Remind me how not being prepared to do his job, can help him achieve that.

Sugar
05-16-2012, 08:06 PM

Well, technically if he isn't signed he doesn't have a job. Just sayin...

BURGH86STEEL
05-16-2012, 08:49 PM
A sound financial future? He'll have that regardless if he gets top-dollar or anything within the "fair" area code. Are you kidding me? It's the same sense of ego and greed which has infested pro sports and our society for too long.

How about understanding that the Steelers financial situation precludes them from breaking the bank this season?

How about understanding that he's got a brand new offense to learn?

What good does skipping out of OTA's or camp do for him...let alone sitting out until week 10? Retarded statement and misplaced sentiment. He can get paid a lot of money to live the dream and set himself up for a monster pay-day when he actually hits free agency next year.

Remind me how not being prepared to do his job, can help him achieve that.

Regardless of the amount, Wallace's contract isn't going to change our society. I believe if people have a problem with ego and greed they should not support professional sports.

The goal for Wallace is to limit instances where he may suffer an injury. One serious injury could impact his financial future. OTA's and camp are two places where players suffer season ending injuries. His value could drop dramatically if he suffers an injury. Next year, the Steelers won't have a problem cutting him if he becomes a less effective player because of injury.

Wallace is already a premier deep threat in the league with a proven track record. Teams know what he brings to the table.

It's business, not personal and that's the approach I believe fans should take with player's contract situations. I'd be selfish if I were in Wallace's or any players shoes that commanded a big money contract.

Flasteel
05-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Regardless of the amount, Wallace's contract isn't going to change our society. I believe if people have a problem with ego and greed they should not support professional sports.

The goal for Wallace is to limit instances where he may suffer an injury. One serious injury could impact his financial future. OTA's and camp are two places where players suffer season ending injuries. His value could drop dramatically if he suffers an injury. Next year, the Steelers won't have a problem cutting him if he becomes a less effective player because of injury.

Wallace is already a premier deep threat in the league with a proven track record. Teams know what he brings to the table.

It's business, not personal and that's the approach I believe fans should take with player's contract situations. I'd be selfish if I were in Wallace's or any players shoes that commanded a big money contract.

I can't begin to tell you how much this attitude and opinion disturbs me. If fear of injury before your big pay day is your primary focus, then your big pay day stands less chance of ever happening. The the odds of a career or season-ending injury are far less than the odds a holdout would hurt his performance and image.

The sheer stupidity of this thinking is not what bothers me the most. What I can't stand about your opinion and others like it, is the abject lack of responsibility and pride in your work. Your teammates are out there busting there ass learning a new offense. You've got talented receivers breathing down your neck for playing time. You've got fans and millions of others watching you, counting on you. How do you not put everything you have into being the best you can be? How do you turn down millions of dollars to prove that you are worthy of millions more?

If you honestly believe that he is better off holding himself out of OTA's, training camp, and even actual games, then you are a complete idiot. If he wants a big money contract in 2013, he can't rely on his reputation as a "premeire deep threat" from 20010 and 2011. He needs to move beyond his reputation as a one-trick pony. He needs to show he can fend-off a group of talented receivers for catches. He needs to go out there and be the best possible receiver he can be.

Good luck with that from your couch Mike.

Slapstick
05-16-2012, 11:27 PM
I can't begin to tell you how much this attitude and opinion disturbs me. If fear of injury before your big pay day is your primary focus, then your big pay day stands less chance of ever happening. The the odds of a career or season-ending injury are far less than the odds a holdout would hurt his performance and image.

The sheer stupidity of this thinking is not what bothers me the most. What I can't stand about your opinion and others like it, is the abject lack of responsibility and pride in your work. Your teammates are out there busting there ass learning a new offense. You've got talented receivers breathing down your neck for playing time. You've got fans and millions of others watching you, counting on you. How do you not put everything you have into being the best you can be? How do you turn down millions of dollars to prove that you are worthy of millions more?

If you honestly believe that he is better off holding himself out of OTA's, training camp, and even actual games, then you are a complete idiot. If he wants a big money contract in 2013, he can't rely on his reputation as a "premeire deep threat" from 20010 and 2011. He needs to move beyond his reputation as a one-trick pony. He needs to show he can fend-off a group of talented receivers for catches. He needs to go out there and be the best possible receiver he can be.

I'm not saying that you're wrong...

I'm not saying that I disagree with you...

But, what Mike Wallace sees is Phil Taylor, out for the season because of an accident lifting weights at OTAs...

In 2010, Mike Wallace saw Limas Sweed tear an ACL at minicamp...

I can understand the caution...

BURGH86STEEL
05-17-2012, 02:42 AM

Not sure why it's so disturbing? Players stand to lose more from injury then they do from an image stand point under this set of circumstances. Rarely is a player's image damaged beyond repair because he holds out. All is usually forgotten once a deal is reached. Fans, the media, or someone else will criticize players at some point anyway. If one team doesn't accept a player, another team certainly will. I believe most people understand that it's a business decision. Teammates appear to understand because they all know they are, were, or will be placed in a similar situation at some point of their careers regarding contract situations. There are several players around the league that are taking a similar stance as Wallace. Brees is probably the highest profile player that is awaiting a contract extension. Brees stated, "I'd say there's a lot that goes into these negotiations.... it's not as simple as what people might think. There are a lot of things to consider, a lot to talk about." You can read the rest of the story at any sports outlet on the web. I guess Brees is an idiot too.

Us idiots and stupid people understand that there are millions of dollars at stake. Wallace's play/reputation is the reason why he is in a position to receive higher compensation. If his one trick wasn't effective, we wouldn't be talking about a significant contract extension for Wallace. Once he receives what he and his agent believes (not fans) is an adequate deal, he will need to continue to prove his worth every year. If he doesn't play well or suffers a serious injury, the team won't have a problem bringing in a younger, less expensive replacement. See the Matt Forte situation as a recent example. There other injured players that loss out on millions of dollars as a result of their injuries. Not sure how many millions players loss for holding out???

I bet you would change your tune if it was your money and lively hood on the line. Like it or not, the NFL is a cut throat business.

Flasteel
05-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Not sure why it's so disturbing? Players stand to lose more from injury then they do from an image stand point under this set of circumstances. Rarely is a player's image damaged beyond repair because he holds out. All is usually forgotten once a deal is reached. Fans, the media, or someone else will criticize players at some point anyway. If one team doesn't accept a player, another team certainly will. I believe most people understand that it's a business decision. Teammates appear to understand because they all know they are, were, or will be placed in a similar situation at some point of their careers regarding contract situations. There are several players around the league that are taking a similar stance as Wallace. Brees is probably the highest profile player that is awaiting a contract extension. Brees stated, "I'd say there's a lot that goes into these negotiations.... it's not as simple as what people might think. There are a lot of things to consider, a lot to talk about." You can read the rest of the story at any sports outlet on the web. I guess Brees is an idiot too.

Us idiots and stupid people understand that there are millions of dollars at stake. Wallace's play/reputation is the reason why he is in a position to receive higher compensation. If his one trick wasn't effective, we wouldn't be talking about a significant contract extension for Wallace. Once he receives what he and his agent believes (not fans) is an adequate deal, he will need to continue to prove his worth every year. If he doesn't play well or suffers a serious injury, the team won't have a problem bringing in a younger, less expensive replacement. See the Matt Forte situation as a recent example. There other injured players that loss out on millions of dollars as a result of their injuries. Not sure how many millions players loss for holding out???

I bet you would change your tune if it was your money and lively hood on the line. Like it or not, the NFL is a cut throat business.

Injury will be more likely to happen, if he's not in the proper condition when he finally does hit the field...you guys don't seem to get that. You also don't seem to understand Mike Wallace has an entirely new offense to learn. It would be one thing to skip OTAs, if he knew the playbook. You guys are advocating that he not only should skip OTAs, but also camp and any part of the season he feels he has to. That's what I can't understand. If he does that, he'll lose millions...guaranteed. Why would he hold out? Do you think he can actually stare down the Rooneys and get a long-term deal? The more of camp and the season he misses, the less of a chance there is to be injured?

Anyone of you who take that position are wrong. It's pretty simple.

If you really think I would change my tune, if it were my money, then you are again wrong. I can tell you with 100% certainty that I would be where my teammates are and I would be doing everything I could to become better at my craft. Pocket the $2M+ and go out and prove that I'm worthy of a big-money contract.

Discipline of Steel
05-17-2012, 07:35 AM
The spectre of injury is a cheap excuse. Not every player will play that card. Years from now he may regret the decision to not play when he cant anymore. I know I take every opportunity to get out there and compete while I can, just for the love of sport.

Now i realize he has a business perspective to get all he can now that its his turn at the negotiating table but i hope he is focused on getting something done so he can join his team mates for the next round of trainings. Any holdout that goes into the preseason or later and i will lose a big chunk of respect for him.

BURGH86STEEL
05-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Injury will be more likely to happen, if he's not in the proper condition when he finally does hit the field...you guys don't seem to get that. You also don't seem to understand Mike Wallace has an entirely new offense to learn. It would be one thing to skip OTAs, if he knew the playbook. You guys are advocating that he not only should skip OTAs, but also camp and any part of the season he feels he has to. That's what I can't understand. If he does that, he'll lose millions...guaranteed. Why would he hold out? Do you think he can actually stare down the Rooneys and get a long-term deal? The more of camp and the season he misses, the less of a chance there is to be injured?

Anyone of you who take that position are wrong. It's pretty simple.

If you really think I would change my tune, if it were my money, then you are again wrong. I can tell you with 100% certainty that I would be where my teammates are and I would be doing everything I could to become better at my craft. Pocket the $2M+ and go out and prove that I'm worthy of a big-money contract.

I don't believe there is any evidence to suggest that an injury is more likely to happen because he isn't in the proper condition. Much like current studies suggest that stretching doesn't prevent injuries. I realize that being in football shape is different then being in shape. People in the proper football condition suffer injuries all the time. The nature of football dictates that an injury will eventually happen. I believe that injury is only one of several factors that Wallace and his agent are taking into consideration. We don't know what's involved with any contract negotiation. Wallace is using the only leverage he has. Everything (conditioning, learning the offense, OTA's, ect) will take care of itself once he has a contract to his liking. If the Steelers organization doesn't want to give him a contract to his liking, another team will. That's just the nature of the business.

Wallace has already proven that he's worth a big money contract. The organization is attempting to give him a long term deal. What's lost in all this is that Wallace isn't under contact with the Steelers. He isn't required to attend any team functions.

I understand why Wallace is not signing his tender. It's pointless to upset over another person's business and financial decision. The team will go on with or without Wallace. That's the nature of the business.

Oviedo
05-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Players can stay in shape on their own so I'm not worried about that. However, Wallace's absence is a terrible decision made worse by the fact that we have a new OC introducing a new offense and new terminology. I guess Wallace thinks he is so smart he can afford to miss that. IMO this is the one key factor that could lead to Antonio Brown and Manny Sanders to excelling this season while Wallace struggles like he did the second half of last season.

Sugar
05-17-2012, 09:09 AM
While injury is certainly a concern, there is also the principle at stake here. The Steelers have had a bargain on the performance they have gotten for the money they've paid. Good for them and I'm glad it worked out that way. However, for Wallace to continue to allow them to get that performance on the cheap seems to be a stupid thing to do if he doesn't have to- and right now he doesn't have to.

This is his career. We can talk about what is important to us (love of the game, teammates, preparation, etc), but he's the one that's got to live this thing. I, for one, respect the way he's gone about it so far and wish him the best.

BURGH86STEEL
05-17-2012, 09:24 AM
While injury is certainly a concern, there is also the principle at stake here. The Steelers have had a bargain on the performance they have gotten for the money they've paid. Good for them and I'm glad it worked out that way. However, for Wallace to continue to allow them to get that performance on the cheap seems to be a stupid thing to do if he doesn't have to- and right now he doesn't have to.

This is his career. We can talk about what is important to us (love of the game, teammates, preparation, etc), but he's the one that's got to live this thing. I, for one, respect the way he's gone about it so far and wish him the best.

I agree, people would change their opinions if they had to live it.

Oviedo
05-17-2012, 09:38 AM
I agree, people would change their opinions if they had to live it.

I'm sure we would all struggle annd agonize over the possibility of being forced to take a $2.7M annual salary.

Sugar
05-17-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm sure we would all struggle annd agonize over the possibility of being forced to take a $2.7M annual salary.

Well, when your career span is only a few years it makes sense to agonize over it. After taxes and agents fees, you are looking at a whole lot less anyway. Of course, when there are those that produce less but make more it also becomes about having a little pride in what you do.

Oviedo
05-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Well, when your career span is only a few years it makes sense to agonize over it. After taxes and agents fees, you are looking at a whole lot less anyway. Of course, when there are those that produce less but make more it also becomes about having a little pride in what you do.

Having a "little pride in what you do" might also mean to some committed and dedicated people that you are with your team working out and learning the new system so you don't repeat the significant drop off in performance like you had in the second half of last season.

It could also mean that maybe you work with coaches to become a better route runner or work with coaches to better learn techniques to high point the football or build strength to be able to fight for catches. But what the heck, why bother when it is so sexy to just run fast.

BURGH86STEEL
05-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Athletes have special talents that pay them well for a short period of time for their labor. We can't compare our situations to athlete's situations.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Wallace really has no power here. Nobody gave up a 1st for him. He could play his one year out on the 2.7 mil on gamechecks or He could sign a deal for less he may be able to get as an UFA and hit "Rack City". All the risk is on him. He still has to have a GREAT season to show he deserves the money he wants from other teams or the Steelers. If he chooses not to sign a long term deal & play the 2.7 tag...He may be in the same boat next year. The Steelers could decide to franchise him. Remember, Brown will be a RFA. Hard to imagine the Steelers won't try to lock him up long term. Brown's dedication seems to be to the game & the Steelers not the dollar. So the Steelers franchise Wallace. If nobody gave a 1st for him this year nobody will give up the 1st next year. You get wallace for 2 years 6.35. Anyone see the Steelers plan yet? On top of that...The Steelers lock up Brown longterm in 2013. Brown's cap hit for 2013 under the long term deal will in the 4.5 range so they can retain Wallace and swallow the salaries for 2013. So Wallace can play the next 2 years on game checks with no up front money or security for the future. OR Look at something a little North of Stevie Johnson and be a Steeler 4 Life. Young Money remains in the Burg until the end.

Speaking of Young Money...Let's have some fun.

Current "Young Money":
Wallace-Fast Money
Brown-Cash Money
Sanders-Easy Money
Roethlisberger-Large Money
Saunders-No Money
Cotchery-(I guess he could assume Ward's Old Money) I personally Like Catch Money.

New?
Clemons-Big Money
Rainey- Lil Money

Sugar
05-17-2012, 02:42 PM
It could also mean that maybe you work with coaches to become a better route runner or work with coaches to better learn techniques to high point the football or build strength to be able to fight for catches. But what the heck, why bother when it is so sexy to just run fast.

And you know that he hasn't done these things? We saw all kinds of articles from last year talking about how Wallace was working so hard to become more than "one trick."

The kid has little leverage at all and the team holds all the good cards in this case. On paper, he really doesn't have any good options. Why let them off scott-free when they're low-balling you?

Slapstick
05-17-2012, 03:17 PM
The spectre of injury is a cheap excuse.

It isn't a spectre. I provided two instances, one on Wallace's own team and one from another team in the division, that it is very real and very possible.

And it isn't cheap at all. An injury like an ACL tear could proveVERY costly to Mike Wallace...

Again, I wish he was at OTAs. But I can understand the caution...

RuthlessBurgher
05-17-2012, 03:38 PM
And you know that he hasn't done these things? We saw all kinds of articles from last year talking about how Wallace was working so hard to become more than "one trick."

Yup, late last year, he was running more drag routes across the field than fly routes up the field.

Sugar
05-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Yup, late last year, he was running more drag routes across the field than fly routes up the field.

And what does that have to do with the price of rice? The issue was whether or not he was taking coaching, not what routes he was running.

Oviedo
05-17-2012, 04:19 PM

The kid has little leverage at all and the team holds all the good cards in this case. On paper, he really doesn't have any good options. Why let them off scott-free when they're low-balling you?

Your words: "the team holds all the good cards." So what is Wallace accomplishing by not being with the team? Nothing!!! All he is doing is falling behind his teammates learning Haley's system. Anyone with more than one active brain cell think he is going to "pressure" the Steelers? Not a chance in the world. So essentially all he is doing is an idle, meaningless gesture. Stupid on his part...IMO.

RuthlessBurgher
05-17-2012, 04:23 PM
And what does that have to do with the price of rice? The issue was whether or not he was taking coaching, not what routes he was running.

If he was truly a one trick pony who would run only 9 routes, then he'd be running only 9 routes. But no, he was catching plenty of passes over the middle as well. I'd say that would indicate that he was working with the coaches to develop his game with regard to the entire route tree, and not just a singular stem.

RuthlessBurgher
05-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Mike Wallace is not a rich man (much richer than me, sure, but compared to his peers, he's a relative pauper). His 3 year rookie contract was worth a total of $1.74 million. After you take out taxes, agent fees, etc., he's not a millionaire in spite of playing NFL football for 3 seasons (and at a historical level among WR's in their first 3 years...his production through 3 seasons has been compared to Calvin, Andre, and Fitz here before and it has been as good, if not better than, those elite-level wideouts). Compare that to what, say, Chris Kemoeatu got paid for the last 3 years. Or even Greg Warren for that matter. How can you fault a guy for wanting to get paid now?

Meanwhile, while Mike Wallace isn't signing his RFA tender for $2.7 mil, Drew Brees (who already has $50 million in the bank from the Saints over the last 5 years, plus more millions from the Chargers before that) is boycotting his $16+ million exclusive franchise tag. One already insanely rich and want to get richer...one just wants to get paid more than a mid-3rd round pick gets.

Flasteel
05-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Your words: "the team holds all the good cards." So what is Wallace accomplishing by not being with the team? Nothing!!! All he is doing is falling behind his teammates learning Haley's system. Anyone with more than one active brain cell think he is going to "pressure" the Steelers? Not a chance in the world. So essentially all he is doing is an idle, meaningless gesture. Stupid on his part...IMO.

Not true Ovi. If he locked himself inside his house and became isolated from all aspects of society, he stands a very good chance of not being injured in any way (although most accidents do happen at home). If he can just hold on until free agency hits again next March, then he's golden. Too bad he actually has to be on the active roster for 6 games this season to get full free agency. Maybe he can petition Tomlin to become the holder or 3rd string quarterback, to really reduce the risk of injury.

squidkid
05-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Mike Wallace is not a rich man (much richer than me, sure, but compared to his peers, he's a relative pauper). His 3 year rookie contract was worth a total of $1.74 million. After you take out taxes, agent fees, etc., he's not a millionaire in spite of playing NFL football for 3 seasons (and at a historical level among WR's in their first 3 years...his production through 3 seasons has been compared to Calvin, Andre, and Fitz here before and it has been as good, if not better than, those elite-level wideouts). Compare that to what, say, Chris Kemoeatu got paid for the last 3 years. Or even Greg Warren for that matter. How can you fault a guy for wanting to get paid now?

Meanwhile, while Mike Wallace isn't signing his RFA tender for $2.7 mil, Drew Brees (who already has $50 million in the bank from the Saints over the last 5 years, plus more millions from the Chargers before that) is boycotting his $16+ million exclusive franchise tag. One already insanely rich and want to get richer...one just wants to get paid more than a mid-3rd round pick gets.

kemo took less to stay a steeler.
warren didnt ask for the moon to do his 'one trick'
if wallace acted like those 2 guyts you mentioned, he too would become a multimillionaire...................all he has to do is be reasonable

BURGH86STEEL
05-17-2012, 07:59 PM
kemo took less to stay a steeler.
warren didnt ask for the moon to do his 'one trick'
if wallace acted like those 2 guyts you mentioned, he too would become a multimillionaire...................all he has to do is be reasonable

How do you know he is not being reasonable? What did the Steelers offer Wallace in terms of a long term contract?

Crash
05-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Um, Wallace apparently wants Fitz money.

He won't get that in Pittsburgh. If he'd rather get Fitz money playing for a doormat then good for him.

Sugar
05-18-2012, 11:24 AM

What does he accomplish?? He doesn't allow them to use his services at a cut-rate. He doesn't have to pressure the Steelers, but he also doesn't have to work for (relative) peanuts. Not right now anyway.

squidkid
05-18-2012, 02:57 PM
How do you know he is not being reasonable? What did the Steelers offer Wallace in terms of a long term contract?

wallace asked for 12 million per, didnt he?

Flasteel
05-18-2012, 03:25 PM
What does he accomplish?? He doesn't allow them to use his services at a cut-rate. He doesn't have to pressure the Steelers, but he also doesn't have to work for (relative) peanuts. Not right now anyway.

You're calling $2.742 million "peanuts"? The only thing nuts around here is that assessment (and those who think Wallace should hold out).:D

Not by any standards is that amount of cash out of line. He's not even a full free agent yet, for God's sake. All Mike Wallace has got to do is go out there and perform to the standard that he has already established. If he can do that, he'll get paid. Go beyond that standard and he might get paid in the Fitzgerald ballpark, he seems to be eye-balling.

Some of you people really amaze me with your attitudes and opinions on this Wallace contract. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it is very clear that there is only one truly smart thing for him to do. Sign the tender and do everything you can to prepare for the year of your life. Missing OTA's is one thing. But if he were to miss any of camp and especially hold out into the season, he would be screwing himself out of millions. I'm pretty sure this is the near universal opinion of pundits and media everywhere. Not sure where you guys are really coming from.

RuthlessBurgher
05-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Missing OTA's is one thing. But if he were to miss any of camp and especially hold out into the season, he would be screwing himself out of millions.

We aren't evenn close to there yet, and people still have their panties in a bunch already. As of this point, he hasn't missed anything.

Flasteel
05-18-2012, 04:20 PM
We aren't evenn close to there yet, and people still have their panties in a bunch already. As of this point, he hasn't missed anything.

Tru dat!

It does seem as if he's positioning himself to stay away for the immediate future though. I certainly don't think he would or should stay away from off-season workouts and camp. Others in this forum are supporting such a decision and even sitting out the first 10 games.

If that's the bunched-up panties you're referring to, then I would say the lively debate is more centered on people advocating such a crazy decision...not upset at what Wallace has done or will do.

I'm not sure if he's got a playbook and is grinding away, or if he's clubbing it down in South Beach, but Wallace does have an obligation to be preparing as hard as he can for next season. Having a new offense makes every OTA more critical than usual and he's only got 10 of them (down from 14 under old CBA). We'll see if he shows next Tuesday and time will tell how he approaches his contract.

Sugar
05-18-2012, 05:27 PM
You're calling $2.742 million "peanuts"? The only thing nuts around here is that assessment (and those who think Wallace should hold out).:D

Not by any standards is that amount of cash out of line. He's not even a full free agent yet, for God's sake. All Mike Wallace has got to do is go out there and perform to the standard that he has already established. If he can do that, he'll get paid. Go beyond that standard and he might get paid in the Fitzgerald ballpark, he seems to be eye-balling.

Some of you people really amaze me with your attitudes and opinions on this Wallace contract. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it is very clear that there is only one truly smart thing for him to do. Sign the tender and do everything you can to prepare for the year of your life. Missing OTA's is one thing. But if he were to miss any of camp and especially hold out into the season, he would be screwing himself out of millions. I'm pretty sure this is the near universal opinion of pundits and media everywhere. Not sure where you guys are really coming from.

Well, I said "(relative) peanuts." For the production that Wallace has contributed, it isn't good money. I submit that the amount is, indeed, out of line given his performance. Factor in taxes and agents fees and it's really not that great. Especially when he can look around the locker room and see underperforming OL who have a fraction of the talent, but are getting paid better.

I'm fairly certain that he will eventually sign the tender, but why do it now? Why reward the Steelers for underpaying him when he doesn't have to? He hasn't been openly whining or anything. He hasn't been acting like a bad apple. He already knows that he's not going to make bank this year, so why rush to do it? They've had him at a bargain price for years. Why give the Steelers more of his time when he isn't going to be paid better for it?

BURGH86STEEL
05-18-2012, 05:29 PM
wallace asked for 12 million per, didnt he?

I am not in on the negotiations so I don't know what Wallace is requesting.

We go back to the question, what did the Steelers offer Wallace? I'd like to know the answer to that question.

Flasteel
05-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Well, I said "(relative) peanuts."

Okay...you got me. :D

Slapstick
05-18-2012, 08:31 PM

Umm...Wallace was on the team when Limas Sweed tore an ACL in minicamp...

If you were Wallace, that wouldn't make you think twice?

I think Wallace will sign the tender and report to training camp...I don't think he'll hold out (though Vincent Jackson stayed away for 10 weeks last year and still landed a huge WR deal this year...not exactly a good example for young Mr. Wallace) nor should he, IMO...

Sugar
05-18-2012, 10:13 PM

At least you're finally admitting it! ;)

hawaiiansteel
05-18-2012, 10:17 PM

you had me at "Okay"...;-)

Shawn
05-19-2012, 10:29 PM
There is little doubt in my mind that Fla would change his tune if it was his career and his cash. We can all talk a big game about love of the game, teammates, pride in our work etc...when its someone else's money. I get what Wallace is doing, and why he is doing it. I don't fault him for wanting to be paid for what he is worth.

Flasteel
05-20-2012, 02:19 AM
There is little doubt in my mind that Fla would change his tune if it was his career and his cash. We can all talk a big game about love of the game, teammates, pride in our work etc...when its someone else's money. I get what Wallace is doing, and why he is doing it. I don't fault him for wanting to be paid for what he is worth.

You obviously don't know me for sh!t Shawn. Money means nothing to me, but character means everything. I've served my country and I've served my community my entire adult life. I could have easily joined the family business and be filthy friggin' rich, but it really didn't matter to me.

I'm not about to stand on some platform and act like I'm better than anyone else, but I know the fabric of my being. I know that I would be out there busting my ass and not worrying about the possibility of being injured. I know that whatever mission I'm charged with, no matter what challenge I'm faced with, I rise up and get it done...period. Right now Mike Wallace is faced with a new playbook, a new coordinator and he is playing for the biggest contract of his life.

There is only one course of action.

Flasteel
05-20-2012, 02:33 AM

One more thing...

The fact that you find it so hard to believe that it would make a difference if my money or career was at stake says a lot about the fabric of your being. At what price do you compromise your belief system? Is it normal for your world to be completely ruled by the almighty dollar?

steelnavy
05-20-2012, 05:53 AM
You obviously don't know me for sh!t Shawn. Money means nothing to me, but character means everything. I've served my country and I've served my community my entire adult life. I could have easily joined the family business and be filthy friggin' rich, but it really didn't matter to me.

I'm not about to stand on some platform and act like I'm better than anyone else, but I know the fabric of my being. I know that I would be out there busting my ass and not worrying about the possibility of being injured. I know that whatever mission I'm charged with, no matter what challenge I'm faced with, I rise up and get it done...period. Right now Mike Wallace is faced with a new playbook, a new coordinator and he is playing for the biggest contract of his life.

:Clap:Clap:Clap
Flasteel, I am with you 1,000%. We should get together for a :Cheers sometime.

squidkid
05-20-2012, 12:09 PM
I am not in on the negotiations so I don't know what Wallace is requesting.

We go back to the question, what did the Steelers offer Wallace? I'd like to know the answer to that question.

well, i wasnt invited to the negotiations either. both sides did say that they were working on a number. wallace said that they were a ways apart. wallace tweeted that he wanted fitz money, which is 12 million. i can only assume that the steelers didnt insult him with a crazy low number(because that's not how they have ever worked) i would think it would be safe to say that they did offer between 6-8 million per year, wouldnt you? assuming those numbers are relatively close, it appears that wallace is being more unreasonable than the steelers.

hawaiiansteel
05-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Wallace, top picks to miss Steelers OTAs

May 20, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Todd Haley will showcase his new offense on the field for the first time Tuesday, and he'll do so without one of the Pro Bowl players expected to make it go, and two possible new starters on the line.

Wide receiver Mike Wallace has not signed the one-year, $2,742,000 tender offered him as a restricted free agent, and various reports say he will not do so before the Steelers open their organized team activities, commonly called OTAs.

Wallace is not required to sign the tender and the only thing required of any of their players -- provided they are under contract -- is to attend minicamp June 12-14, which will end these spring sessions.

Come June 15, however, the Steelers are permitted to change the amount of that tender to 110 percent of Wallace's 2011 salary. That would reduce his '12 salary to $577,000. Sources say they will not do that, at least not before training camp opens.

General manager Kevin Colbert has stated consistently that the Steelers prefer to sign Wallace to a long-term contract. However, those negotiations have gone nowhere.

Two rookies possibly being counted on to start on the line cannot report for OTAs either. The top two draft picks, guard David DeCastro and tackle Mike Adams, cannot attend until the semesters end at their schools. That means Adams, of Ohio State, will miss through the first week of June. DeCastro will miss all of OTAs and minicamp because Stanford's spring quarter goes through mid-June.

Missing OTAs can be a negative for rookies, especially those expected to play quickly. However, there were no spring workouts/practices for NFL teams last year because of the lockout and that did not stop rookie tackle Marcus Gilbert from starting 14 games, beginning with the second game of the 2011 season.

These practices for the Steelers take on more importance because, for the first time since 1999, when Bill Cowher hired Kevin Gilbride, the Steelers will have an offensive coordinator from outside the staff.

Haley, the first coordinator change under coach Mike Tomlin, tossed out the playbook the offense had followed under previous coordinator Bruce Arians since 2007, and one with basically the same terminology since Mike Mularkey was promoted to the job in 2001. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger estimated that the new offense will be 90 percent different than that of Arians with new terminology.

The veterans have been digesting Haley's offense for three weeks in classrooms and now will get a chance to put it to work on the field, although, by rule, with no pads in these sessions.

The new 10-year CBA negotiated last year, which ended the lockout, reduced the number of OTAs from 14 to 10, plus a minicamp.

The Steelers have seven of their nine rookies under contract, with only DeCastro and third-round pick Sean Spence, a linebacker, not signed. Spence, though, is permitted to attend OTAs.

While not required, OTAs are usually well attended, with players missing a few here or there for various reasons. There are some exceptions; Troy Polamalu often does not attend until minicamp, preferring to work out with his personal trainer in California.

Practices are not open to the public.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...s-otas-636719/ (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/wallace-top-picks-to-miss-steelers-otas-636719/)

Flasteel
05-20-2012, 02:20 PM
:Clap:Clap:Clap
Flasteel, I am with you 1,000%. We should get together for a :Cheers sometime.

Thanks brother...I had a few of them last night before I posted that. I don't mean to attack Shawn (or burghsteel, for that matter) too harshly...it's more of a spirited debate on the issue.:D

I would love to have a drink with you, but you are obviously Navy. I was Army. I don't think it'll work. :p

J/K brother. Anytime you or a member of the Planet are down south of Tampa Bay, I'm always down with a drink or two.

hawaiiansteel
05-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Steelers to start OTAs Tuesday without Mike Wallace

By Brian McIntyre NFL.com
Published: May 20, 2012

When the Pittsburgh Steelers open their OTAs on Tuesday, they will be without the services of wide receiver Mike Wallace and their two top picks, each of whom is expected to start on the offensive line this season, Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

First-round guard David DeCastro and second-round left tackle Mike Adams will miss the workouts because their respective schools -- Stanford and Ohio State -- operate on the "quarter" system, preventing the players from participating in the workouts until final exams are completed in June.

Wallace's expected absence is solely tied to his contract situation and should not come as a surprise. The three-year veteran received the "first round" restricted free agent tender, which calls for a non-guaranteed base salary of $2.742 million this season. For a 25-year-old deep threat who has 171 receptions, 3,206 yards and 24 touchdowns in 48 games, and is coming off a Pro Bowl season, that's a bargain. Wallace is believed to be seeking a long-term contract in the Larry Fitzgerald/Calvin Johnson neighborhood, which would come with total values exceeding $100 million with $50 million in guarantees.

Wallace has not signed his tender and will not be required to attend the OTAs or mandatory minicamp, which runs from June 12-14. If Wallace does not sign the tender by June 14, the Steelers would have the option of withdrawing the current offer and immediately replacing it with a "June 15" tender, which would requires the Steelers to pay Wallace at a rate of at least 110 percent his previous year's salary. Wallace earned a 2011 CBA-enhanced $525,000 in 2011, so his salary under a "June 15" tender would be worth it.

The New England Patriots and San Diego Chargers took this path when they gave Logan Mankins and Vincent Jackson "June 15" tenders in 2010. Each player remained unsigned into the start of the season, losing between $2.45 million (Mankins) and $2.987 million (Jackson) in base salary and were still not allowed to test the free-agent market when they were franchised before the lockout.

There's no guarantee that the Steelers would reduce the tender, but the potential loss of $2.1645 million in base salary in 2012 may spur Wallace to sign the tender on the final day of minicamp. After all, that potential lost income is more than the $1.969 million in base salary and performance-based pay Wallace earned over his first three seasons in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829385d9/article/steelers-to-start-otas-tuesday-without-mike-wallace

squidkid
05-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Steelers to start OTAs Tuesday without Mike Wallace

By Brian McIntyre NFL.com
Published: May 20, 2012

When the Pittsburgh Steelers open their OTAs on Tuesday, they will be without the services of wide receiver Mike Wallace and their two top picks, each of whom is expected to start on the offensive line this season, Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

First-round guard David DeCastro and second-round left tackle Mike Adams will miss the workouts because their respective schools -- Stanford and Ohio State -- operate on the "quarter" system, preventing the players from participating in the workouts until final exams are completed in June.

Wallace's expected absence is solely tied to his contract situation and should not come as a surprise. The three-year veteran received the "first round" restricted free agent tender, which calls for a non-guaranteed base salary of $2.742 million this season. For a 25-year-old deep threat who has 171 receptions, 3,206 yards and 24 touchdowns in 48 games, and is coming off a Pro Bowl season, that's a bargain. Wallace is believed to be seeking a long-term contract in the Larry Fitzgerald/Calvin Johnson neighborhood, which would come with total values exceeding $100 million with $50 million in guarantees.

Wallace has not signed his tender and will not be required to attend the OTAs or mandatory minicamp, which runs from June 12-14. If Wallace does not sign the tender by June 14, the Steelers would have the option of withdrawing the current offer and immediately replacing it with a "June 15" tender, which would requires the Steelers to pay Wallace at a rate of at least 110 percent his previous year's salary. Wallace earned a 2011 CBA-enhanced $525,000 in 2011, so his salary under a "June 15" tender would be worth it.

The New England Patriots and San Diego Chargers took this path when they gave Logan Mankins and Vincent Jackson "June 15" tenders in 2010. Each player remained unsigned into the start of the season, losing between $2.45 million (Mankins) and $2.987 million (Jackson) in base salary and were still not allowed to test the free-agent market when they were franchised before the lockout.

There's no guarantee that the Steelers would reduce the tender, but the potential loss of $2.1645 million in base salary in 2012 may spur Wallace to sign the tender on the final day of minicamp. After all, that potential lost income is more than the $1.969 million in base salary and performance-based pay Wallace earned over his first three seasons in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829385d9/article/steelers-to-start-otas-tuesday-without-mike-wallace

i hope they slap the june 15 tender if wallace decides not to sign as soon as possible

BURGH86STEEL
05-20-2012, 05:44 PM
well, i wasnt invited to the negotiations either. both sides did say that they were working on a number. wallace said that they were a ways apart. wallace tweeted that he wanted fitz money, which is 12 million. i can only assume that the steelers didnt insult him with a crazy low number(because that's not how they have ever worked) i would think it would be safe to say that they did offer between 6-8 million per year, wouldnt you? assuming those numbers are relatively close, it appears that wallace is being more unreasonable than the steelers.

I don't believe Wallace tweeted he wanted Fitz money. I believe it was reported he wanted Fitz money by a reporter in California. The Steelers offered some players less money then those players could had gotten on the open market. Players never receive X amount of dollars per year. Figures are thrown around to make contracts look good for agents. NFL contracts are not guaranteed. More then likely, the issue is probably the signing bonus/guaranteed money and the length of the contract.

I don't think it's safe to assume anything in regard to contract negotiations when zero facts have been presented.

squidkid
05-20-2012, 07:01 PM
I don't believe Wallace tweeted he wanted Fitz money. I believe it was reported he wanted Fitz money by a reporter in California. The Steelers offered some players less money then those players could had gotten on the open market. Players never receive X amount of dollars per year. Figures are thrown around to make contracts look good for agents. NFL contracts are not guaranteed. More then likely, the issue is probably the signing bonus/guaranteed money and the length of the contract.

I don't think it's safe to assume anything in regard to contract negotiations when zero facts have been presented.

wallace had an opportunity to squash the 'fitz money' rumor by tweeting 'this is not true. i never said i wanted fitz money'. instead wallace tweets 'dont believe everything yolu read/hear'. logics leads me to believe that he did indeed make that statement to the reporter from california. add the fact the he calls himself part of 'the young money crew' makes me think he overvalues himself

Shawn
05-20-2012, 08:23 PM

Lol...if you say so.
Lets just say all of that is indeed true, and you are above wanting to get paid market value for your services. I would ask, who are you to ask someone else to see the world the way you do. I too passed up more money in order to do what I do. It doesn't mean that I would be self righteous enough to expect others to feel the same way. So, what gives you the right to judge another person who wants to be somewhere in the ball park of market value for his services?

Shawn
05-20-2012, 08:32 PM
wallace had an opportunity to squash the 'fitz money' rumor by tweeting 'this is not true. i never said i wanted fitz money'. instead wallace tweets 'dont believe everything yolu read/hear'. logics leads me to believe that he did indeed make that statement to the reporter from california. add the fact the he calls himself part of 'the young money crew' makes me think he overvalues himself
I wouldn't squash that either. That's part of negotiations, start high settle for less.

BURGH86STEEL
05-20-2012, 08:41 PM

Don't believe everything you hear covered anything that's reported in regard to his contract negotiations. It's what a person chooses to believe without knowing all the details about the negotiations.

I don't have a problem with players over valuing themselves. Players are only worth what teams will pay. If I were a top player in the league, I'd start my negotiations at the highest point and work my way down. It's logical for top players to start high and see where the chips fall. That's why they are called negotiations. A player stands to lose millions of dollars if he low balls himself going into negotiations. When you go on a job interview do you start low, in the middle, or high?

hawaiiansteel
05-21-2012, 12:18 AM
Mike Wallace likely to miss Steelers' coming workouts

PUBLISHED Sunday, May 20, 2012
The Sporting News

http://dy.snimg.com/story-image/0/6/2835413/95218-330-0.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace continues a stalemate with his bosses over a 2012 contract this week as organized team activities begin. Wallace won't be taking part in the workouts unless he and the franchise come to terms.

The Steelers also will hit the field without their top two offensive line prospects, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports. Guard David DeCastro and tackle Mike Adams will be absent for reasons different from those keep Wallace away—both continue in classes at their respective schools.

The Steelers' OTAs begin Tuesday. Mandatory minicamp is June 12-14, a critical event for the team and its recalcitrant wideout.

Wallace wants a long-term deal with the team but proffered a one-year tender because he is a restricted free agent. He has not signed the offer, which according to the Post-Gazette would pay him nearly $2.75 million in base salary.

That's not enough, Wallace believes, since he is coming off a Pro Bowl season. At 25, Wallace has 171 receptions, 3,206 yards and 24 touchdowns in 48 games—numbers he believes should get him a contract in the neighborhood of some of the NFL's best receivers. He has played every game over three seasons and has become a top target in the offense.

If Wallace persists in his obstinacy, he could find the initial tender withdrawn and be offered much less—to the tune of nearly $2 million, the Post-Gazette reports.

Team officials are fine with the idea of a long-term deal for Wallace, but talks in that direction are at loggerheads.

DeCastro and Adams figure to be major additions to the offensive line this season. DeCastro was a first-round pick; Adams was called in the second round. Because of restrictions, Adams won't be available until the first week of June as Ohio State completes its term. DeCastro won't reach Steelers workouts until mid-June because of Stanford's academic schedule.

The Steelers have plenty of work this offseason as they transition to the schemes of new offensive coordinator Todd Haley. It is a huge undertaking, considering it has been more than a decade since the team hired a headman for its offense from outside the organization, and this is the first time coach Mike Tomlin has a new man leading his offense.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette the changes affect nearly all the offense's terminology.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-05-20/mike-wallace-contract-steelers-pittsburgh-ota-dave-decastro-mike-adams#ixzz1vSzGoCxF

Flasteel
05-21-2012, 06:38 AM
Lol...if you say so.
Lets just say all of that is indeed true, and you are above wanting to get paid market value for your services. I would ask, who are you to ask someone else to see the world the way you do. I too passed up more money in order to do what I do. It doesn't mean that I would be self righteous enough to expect others to feel the same way. So, what gives you the right to judge another person who wants to be somewhere in the ball park of market value for his services?

Who is asking anyone to take less money? He's a RFA with a first-round tender. He's got a chance to hit full free agency next year and land a huge contract. He will likely lose money by holding out and not being prepared for the season. He would gain nothing by holding out. Why you advocate such a position is beyond me and it makes no sense.

None.

Please feel free to rationalize your stance.

Slapstick
05-21-2012, 06:52 AM
As of today, Wallace is not holding out...

These are non-mandatory Organized Team Activities...

Now, the June 12 minicamp is a different story...

RuthlessBurgher
05-21-2012, 10:09 AM
As of today, Wallace is not holding out...

These are non-mandatory Organized Team Activities...

Now, the June 12 minicamp is a different story...

Even then, it isn't exactly a hold out per se. A hold out is when someone who is under contract does not show for mandatory activities (like Mike Merriweather back in the day). Wallace doesn't have a signed contract right now.

Slapstick
05-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Even then, it isn't exactly a hold out per se. A hold out is when someone who is under contract does not show for mandatory activities (like Mike Merriweather back in the day). Wallace doesn't have a signed contract right now.

Splitting hairs. If Mike Wallace were an unrestricted free agent, I would agree...

RuthlessBurgher
05-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Splitting hairs. If Mike Wallace were an unrestricted free agent, I would agree...

Sure, there is an element of semantics here, but I think there is a pretty big difference between signing a contract and then not honoring it (Merriweather was not living up to his word) vs. not signing a contract until one can be crafted that is in the best interest of both the player and the team (Wallace is trying to make the best business deal he can). Being an RFA instead of a UFA harms Wallace's leverage in negotiations for sure, but I don't see that being a huge difference in terms of whether or not this situation should be considered a hold out or not.

Shawn
05-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Who is asking anyone to take less money? He's a RFA with a first-round tender. He's got a chance to hit full free agency next year and land a huge contract. He will likely lose money by holding out and not being prepared for the season. He would gain nothing by holding out. Why you advocate such a position is beyond me and it makes no sense.

None.

Please feel free to rationalize your stance.

It's a fairly easy situation to see clearly if we can step outside of being a fan. Wallace wants some market value guaranteed numbers. He wants a long term contract with market value numbers. He doesn't want to put his body (therefore his ability to earn) on the line without it. So, if Wallace wants to use the maximum amount of leverage to help him obtain the most amount of guaranteed money for the least amount of risk...fine. I have no problem with it. What I do wonder about...is people who feel the need to judge him for doing so.

Fans who ask him to "honor his contract" must realize that if he blows a knee, it's over. He never gets the big pay day that he has indeed earned. To ask him to take that risk, without any guarantees to "honor a contract" in order for the Steelers to basically steal his services is absurd. It's hard for me to understand that reasoning. I am as big of a Steeler fan as they come, but I would do the same in this situation.

Sugar
05-21-2012, 01:41 PM
It's a fairly easy situation to see clearly if we can step outside of being a fan. Wallace wants some market value guaranteed numbers. He wants a long term contract with market value numbers. He doesn't want to put his body (therefore his ability to earn) on the line without it. So, if Wallace wants to use the maximum amount of leverage to help him obtain the most amount of guaranteed money for the least amount of risk...fine. I have no problem with it. What I do wonder about...is people who feel the need to judge him for doing so.

Fans who ask him to "honor his contract" must realize that if he blows a knee, it's over. He never gets the big pay day that he has indeed earned. To ask him to take that risk, without any guarantees to "honor a contract" in order for the Steelers to basically steal his services is absurd. It's hard for me to understand that reasoning. I am as big of a Steeler fan as they come, but I would do the same in this situation.

Well put. The Steelers got PB performance on the cheap and as a fan I'm happy for them. However, this kid deserves to get paid. I think he'll probably sign when he has to, but I wouldn't be playing any football that I didn't have to if I were him- even in shorts.

Snatch98
05-21-2012, 02:37 PM

Spot on. :cool:

Flasteel
05-21-2012, 02:50 PM

I fully understand he's not under contract. The point is that he has no leverage. He's not going force the Steelers into a long-term deal this year, no matter what he does. I'm not calling him a hold-out or even ragging on the guy one bit. I'm attacking YOUR position that he should stay away from camp AND skip the first 10 games of the season. Regardless of semantics, that is a hold-out and that's what I'm railing against. It would make no sence and undoubtedly hurt his market value. He would be completely unprepared when he does hit the field, have no numbers to base a contract on next year, and be slapped with a diva stigma.

Just to be clear...I know he is not holding out (or even indicated he will miss camp or games) and I'm not attacking Wallace in any way. Every comment I've made in this thread had to do with your position on the subject.

Shawn
05-21-2012, 03:08 PM
By staying out, he lowers his risk for injury. He may or may not lose some long term money by doing so. But by lowering his risk for injury, he increases his chances to see a substantial contract that will set him up nicely for life. It's risk managment. If I was his agent I would inform him to do so. And yes, he does have some leverage. The Steelers lose 10 games of play from their speedy WR, then guarantee losing him next year. It's in both parties best interest to find common ground for a long term contract.

BURGH86STEEL
05-21-2012, 03:23 PM
By staying out, he lowers his risk for injury. He may or may not lose some long term money by doing so. But by lowering his risk for injury, he increases his chances to see a substantial contract that will set him up nicely for life. It's risk managment. If I was his agent I would inform him to do so. And yes, he does have some leverage. The Steelers lose 10 games of play from their speedy WR, then guarantee losing him next year. It's in both parties best interest to find common ground for a long term contract.

I agree. One injury and then he really losses any leverage he has. His market value will drop look a rock in water if he's injured. I don't believe his market value will drop because he doesn't come in until the 10th game of the season. Holding out didn't appear to affect Vincent Jackson's market value. Several teams pursued Jackson.

Flasteel
05-21-2012, 04:16 PM
I agree. One injury and then he really losses any leverage he has. His market value will drop look a rock in water if he's injured. I don't believe his market value will drop because he doesn't come in until the 10th game of the season. Holding out didn't appear to affect Vincent Jackson's market value. Several teams pursued Jackson.

And right here is exactly where I disagree with the two of you...strongly.:D

hawaiiansteel
05-21-2012, 04:23 PM
I don't believe his market value will drop because he doesn't come in until the 10th game of the season.

if Mike Wallace pursues this path he will have had a not so stellar second half of the 2011 season followed by a holdout 2012 season. you honestly believe that won't hurt Wallace's market value when it comes to negotiating a new contract?

Shawn
05-21-2012, 04:24 PM
And right here is exactly where I disagree with the two of you...strongly.:D

Fair enough. Agree to disagree. :)

hawaiiansteel
05-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers to Start OTA Sessions Without Three Projected Offensive Starters

Submitted by Syndicated sources on May 21, 2012

This Tuesday, when the Pittsburgh Steelers open their OTA sessions, it will be the players who are not there maybe more than those who are there, that will make headlines. For starters, they will be without their top two picks from the NFL Draft, guard David DeCastro and left tackle Mike Adams. These two projected starters will have to miss the workouts because both Stanford and Ohio State operate on the quarter’s system and NFL rules prevent them from participating in workouts until final exams are over with in June.

While the Steelers can understand the absence of both DeCastro and Adams, unfortunately they are not the only projected starters who ill be absent come Tuesday. Wide receiver Mike Wallace will not be attending either. At this point, the Pro Bowl receiver, who is currently entangled in a contract dispute with the Steelers, plans to miss OTA’s and most likely the mandatory mini-camp from June 12-14, unless he is signed to a long-term contract.

Adam Scheftler of ESPN reports that he (Wallace) will not sign his first-round RFA tender until he absolutely has to; which could be as late as November 13 to get credit for the 2012 season. He also reported that it might be a while before the Steelers see Wallace at the team facility, something that will not endear himself to the Steelers faithful.

For fans, this should not come as a shock, as Wallace, was never happy that he had received the first-round restricted free agent tender from the Steelers. If and when he signs it he will then be looking at a guaranteed base salary of 2.742 million for the coming 2012-2013 football season, unless the Steelers reduce that number to the minimum when that window opens on June 15.

The 25-year old Wallace, who averages 66.8 yards per game and has 24 touchdowns in his three-year career, is looking to get a long-term deal that will pay him like a top NFL receiver. There is no doubt that Wallace has played well for the Steelers, but the Steelers have never been known as the type of team to pay big money to a wide receiver and they most likely will not overpay for Wallace.

If Wallace does sign the tender than next year will be even more of an interesting situation as both Wallace and Antonio Brown (restricted) will be free agents and looking for top dollar and the team will have to decide which receiver to keep. Stay tuned to this situation, as we will be covering it throughout.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/pittsburgh_steelers_to_start_ota_sessions_without_ three_projected_offensive_starters/10840250

Slapstick
05-21-2012, 04:37 PM
If Wallace does sign the tender than next year will be even more of an interesting situation as both Wallace and Antonio Brown (restricted) will be free agents and looking for top dollar and the team will have to decide which receiver to keep.

This will depend tremendously on the development of Toney Clemons...

7th round pick? Yes...but, I feel that he would have been selected much higher if he had not had the misfortune of playing for four different head coaches in college...

Sugar
05-21-2012, 06:39 PM

7th round pick? Yes...but, I feel that he would have been selected much higher if he had not had the misfortune of playing for four different head coaches in college...

I've heard that he is also quite fast. ;)

Slapstick
05-21-2012, 07:50 PM

That would be good, but if he is physical as well, that would be fantastic...

squidkid
05-21-2012, 07:57 PM

camp fodder

hawaiiansteel
05-21-2012, 08:04 PM

the negative I read about Clemons concerns his hands, it's good to be fast but you gotta be able to hang onto the ball also.

Slapstick
05-21-2012, 10:34 PM
the negative I read about Clemons concerns his hands, it's good to be fast but you gotta be able to hang onto the ball also.

Yeah...we wouldn't want anyone who would drop a 50 yard bomb that hit them in the breadbasket, right?

RuthlessBurgher
05-22-2012, 10:11 AM
camp fodder

Yeah, like Antonio Brown, Brett Keisel, James Harrison...

Sugar
05-22-2012, 11:39 AM

I know. But a lot of people think that Wallace would be easy to replace because he's just fast and that's all he has going for him. You know, the old "one trick" thing.

ikestops85
05-22-2012, 12:42 PM
I know. But a lot of people think that Wallace would be easy to replace because he's just fast and that's all he has going for him. You know, the old "one trick" thing.

I have to laugh at people who think like that.

hawaiiansteel
05-22-2012, 02:57 PM
MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Read what you want into this, but E.Sanders said about close friend and teammate Mike Wallace "we are waiting for a deal to get done."

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=MarkKaboly_Trib

hawaiiansteel
05-23-2012, 02:37 AM
Steelers WR Wallace can learn offense

By the Tribune-Review
Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2012.

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=46ATg 50Fs0xMaCfJYD_KMM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYsMxaB32jDABFP 5WW1A21L$WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers Offensive Coordimator Todd Haley watches Antonio Brown make a catch during OTAs on the South Side on Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Mike Wallace was missing from Tuesday’s offseason workout, yet the receiver might already be learning the new Steelers offense elsewhere.

The restricted free agent visited last week and talked with coach Mike Tomlin. When Wallace left, he took with him a playbook, said friend and teammate Antonio Brown.

“He’s going to be studying, so when he comes he knows (the plays),” Brown said.

The Steelers have begun installing the offense of new coordinator Todd Haley. But Wallace hasn’t yet signed his one-year, $2.742 million offer, so he wasn’t around yesterday for the first of 10 optional practices.

“Hopefully he can get here soon,” Brown said, “so he can get on board.”

Wallace wants a long-term contract. If he doesn’t sign his tender by June 15, under CBA guidelines, the Steelers could reduce their current offer to 110 percent of his 2011 salary, which was $580,000. The team has mandatory practices June 12-14, but Wallace could again be absent if still unsigned.

“This process is going to run its course,” said Tomlin, who described last week’s meeting with Wallace as “good communication.”

“It will be a little bit of short-term misery,” Tomlin said, “but it won’t be significant in the big scheme of things, hopefully.”

• After just one practice, receiver Emmanuel Sanders was “loving the offense” that Haley has built. “It is a totally different playbook,” said Sanders, who noted some added play-action routes. “It’s 90 percent different, and we have to be here so when training camp starts we can hit the ground running.” Sanders also said he expects to add punt returns to his duties, replacing Brown in that special teams role.

• Cornerback Ike Taylor missed the team’s first practice but will participate today, he said during his TribLive internet radio show yesterday afternoon. Defensive end Brett Keisel also was absent, as were rookies David DeCastro, Mike Adams and Alameda Ta’amu. The rookies can’t attend until their spring semesters end.

• Former Steelers receiver Hines Ward was in Harrisburg to be recognized for his accomplishments on and off the field by the state House and Senate and Gov. Tom Corbett. In a statement to the House, Ward expressed his gratitude for the recognition: “Hopefully, I can continue to represent the state of Pennsylvania the best that I possibly can off the field now and heading to the next chapter of my life.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1836207-85/wallace-steelers-brown-offense-hopefully-mike-receiver-sanders-tomlin-practice

hawaiiansteel
05-23-2012, 04:31 PM
So Mike Wallace Isn't Attending OTAs, What's the Problem?

by Neal Coolong on May 23, 2012

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4122830/136581692_extra_large.jpg

Most people are aware Steelers WR Mike Wallace is not attending OTAs. Most are even more keenly aware he's doing it because he wants a contract extension, and not the $2.7 million restricted free agent tender offer the Steelers have given him.

There seems to be a split in SteelerNation on whether Wallace is doing the right thing - or even the ethical one. Turns out, there's a long list of Steelers who will not graduate OTAs with 100 percent attendance.

The Tribune-Review reported neither DE Brett Keisel nor CB Ike Taylor were in attendance for Day One of Phase One of OTAs. It's likely not for contractual-conflict reasons, but rather, something personal and probably understandable.

Wallace, though, is apparently committing some kind of crime, in the eyes of many.

At this point in the offseason schedule, coaches cannot work directly with players anyway. Any "work" they're doing in regards to the playbook is running un-defended routes without a pass rush. Any nuances of an offense gleaned from practice against air in shells had sure not be anything the players wouldn't have gathered on their own.

OTAs are nothing more than a way for the guys to get back together, discuss a few things regarding the game, stretch out and run a bit, pose for a few pictures and go over to someone's place to grill and enjoy the summer. These are not highly competitive, it's silly to suggest positions will be won and lost during this time.

Personally, I think the whole concept of OTAs has been lost on the media, who starve for NFL-related news this time of the year, and the whole thing has become overblown, but I digress.

It's not that Wallace - or any other veteran - doesn't need to attend, but...they don't need to attend. Besides, if Wallace is serious about wanting "Fitzgerald money," (a report that has yet to be substantiated by Wallace or his agent, Bus Cook, which doesn't mean it's either true or untrue) the team should get used to him missing OTAs in Pittsburgh next year, and minicamp, training camp and Weeks 1-17.

All that matters is if he shows up for Training Camp. He's only hurting himself by choosing not to attend that, and it would seem unlikely his agent would suggest he take that route.

If there's an intriguing part to this, it's the Steelers' full team minicamp is scheduled for June 12-14, or, the three days before Wallace must sign his tender offer or risk having it substantially reduced. The deadline for the team to exercise that collectively-bargained right is June 15, so Wallace could choose to skip minicamp as well, before signing his offer.

All he needs to do is look at recent history to see his best option; LaMarr Woodley, Troy Polamalu and Lawrence Timmons all inked extensions quickly into training camp in 2011. Signing it June 15 and insisting upon continued negotiations through training camp is his best - and most likely - course of action. That's how the business side works. Neither the team nor Wallace are in the wrong at this point.

And certainly, he can run uncovered routes on his own somewhere else.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/5/23/3038274/so-mike-wallace-isnt-attending-otas-whats-the-problem

Crash
05-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Wallace is unsigned. That's his right.

What's amazing is how many of the same fans who supported Hines when he refused to work while UNDER CONTRACT, have turned their backs on Mike Wallace.

Flasteel
05-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Wallace is unsigned. That's his right.

What's amazing is how many of the same fans who supported Hines when he refused to work while UNDER CONTRACT, have turned their backs on Mike Wallace.

Ward is gone now...let it go man.

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Ward is gone now...let it go man.

Ben was suspended 2 years ago and he still hasn't let that go.

You can't expect him to let Hines go when he only retired 2 months ago.

Crash
05-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Ben was suspended 2 years ago and he still hasn't let that go.

Any Steelers fan with brains in their head wouldn't. It sickens me how the Rooney's allow Goodell to run rough shot all over their players. I wish they had some guts to stand up to him.

Slapstick
05-23-2012, 09:24 PM
[/COLOR]

Any Steelers fan with brains in their head wouldn't. It sickens me how the Rooney's allow Goodell to run rough shot all over their players. I wish they had some guts to stand up to him.

Stand up to him? They helped him get the job!

Crash
05-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Stand up to him? They helped him get the job!

And I would bet, they regret that now more than ever.

Goodell made them break up a 20 year ownership group because they own dog tracks (But it's OK for teams to make deals with state lotteries apparently).

Covered up SpyGate and let Bill Belichek continue to coach (which the Steelers were the most affected team in the AFC).

Suspended an uncharged player 4 games, Goodell also allows said uncharged player (and his offensive teammates) to continue to take helmet to helmet hits which are somehow "missed" by the officials throughout 2010.

James Harrison is picked on because of a personal feud with Goodell.

Show some guts, show some loyalty to the players who make your money, and to hell with Roger Goodell.

hawaiiansteel
05-23-2012, 10:51 PM

Hines Ward honored in Harrisburg

May 22, 2012
By Laura Olson / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://c4241337.r37.cf2.rackcdn.com/05-22-37_hines-ward-and-tom-corbett_420.jpg

Recently retired Steelers great Hines Ward is recognized by Pennsylvania governor Tom Corbett and the legislature today in Harrisburg.

HARRISBURG -- Commending him as someone who has used his celebrity status to do "great things," state lawmakers and Gov. Tom Corbett lauded former Pittsburgh Steelers player Hines Ward here this afternoon.

Mr. Ward received a proclamation from the governor, and both chambers of the General Assembly have introduced resolutions honoring his accomplishments on the football field as well as his volunteer work with nearly a dozen community organizations.

"This is the coolest thing ever," he said, grinning, as he spoke briefly on the Senate floor.

Mr. Ward, who in March announced his retirement from the Steelers after 14 seasons as wide receiver, said the three-hour trip east on the Turnpike was his first visit to the state's capital city.

"I wanted to represent not only the city of Pittsburgh but the whole state of Pennsylvania," he said during an afternoon news conference. "I only thought that I had fans in Pittsburgh, but the Steeler Nation is all over. For me, it's great to be recognized all over the state of Pennsylvania. You guys have given me so much. Today is a big honor."

He spent time this morning chatting with the governor, who recounted the history of his office, before posing for pictures with Mr. Corbett and with top legislators.

"He has represented what I think are the finest attributes of a team player and a hard worker," Mr. Corbett said. "Hines has really become part of the fabric of western Pennsylvania."

Mr. Ward, a resident of the state of Georgia, said he intends to stay active in Pittsburgh and in the commonwealth, noting a golf fundraiser for Highmark's Caring Foundation that he attended yesterday: "My whole career has been here."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/hines-ward-honored-in-harrisburg-637055/

hawaiiansteel
05-24-2012, 01:00 AM
New Buzz About Mike Wallace – Deal In Works?

May 22nd, 2012

There’s some new buzz about the Steelers Mike Wallace today. Read into it what you will. Mark Kaboly of the Trib tweets that Steelers teammate ‘Manny Sanders said today ‘We are waiting for a deal to get done.’ Manny is a close friend of Wallace and could have a bit of an inside scoop as to what is going on with Wallace regarding either that tender being signed or a long term contract being worked out.

Mike Tomlin also chimed in today and said, ‘This is a business. Mike came in last week and we visited. It’ll be over. it’ll be a short-term (absence). But it won’t be significant.’ To me, that should be a pretty clear sign that a deal is in the works. How short ‘short-term’ means is yet to be clarified. But, if Tomlin says that his absence won’t be significant, that should mean he will have a deal signed within the next few days to week. That way he won’t miss any more OTA’s and mini-camps – allowing himself enough time to be on the same page with the rest of the offense.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/05/22...deal-in-works/ (http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/05/22/new-buzz-about-mike-wallace-deal-in-works/)

RuthlessBurgher
05-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Goodell made them break up a 20 year ownership group because they own dog tracks (But it's OK for teams to make deals with state lotteries apparently).

Indeed.

http://media.philly.com/images/lotto_400.jpg

hawaiiansteel
05-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers WR Mike Wallace Should Learn from Tennessee Titans RB Chris Johnson

Published: 23rd May
by Clyde A. Speller

http://rantsports.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/pittsburgh-steelers/files/2012/05/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Mike-Wallace-on-bench9.jpg

Steeler Nation is getting more and more impatient with Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace and the situation that he has with the Steelers’ front office. The 2012 NFL Draft is in the books, training camp will be here before you know it, and there is still a stalemate between Wallace andPittsburgh’s management.

The Pro Bowl receiver still have until June 15th to sign the tender offer sheet of $2.7 million that was presented to him. If Wallace decides not to do so, then the Steelers have the right to cut the tender to $577,500, which would be a $2.1 million dollar cut for Wallace.

As I mentioned last month, Wallace does deserve a lucrative contract based on his statistics over the past three years. However, he still isn’t at the elite level where he can demand an all-time NFL record contract.

Holding out at this point and time will not benefit Wallace, or the Steelers’ offense. Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is already mentioning of how complicated offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s new offensive scheme is. Having Wallace at minicamps right now will make things a little less stressful for himself and the offense. Holding out can also have a negative effect on the three-year veteran receiver’s performance going into next season. Resent history has shown us this.

If there is one person that Wallace can look to as an example from last year is Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson. Leading up to last season, Johnson held out of training camp and missed the entire preseason, which resulted in his subpar 2011 NFL regular season.

I guess that it still hasn’t crossed Wallace’s mind that the Steelers have been in a tight bind financially since the start of the offseason, and is in no position to give him a big deal right now. Signing the tender will not only help the franchise as far as with the salary cap, but it will also give Wallace more than enough time to get acclimated to a new offensive coordinator, which would give him a better chance to prove this upcoming season that he is worth a gargantuan contract.

http://www.rantsports.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2012/05/23/pittsburgh-steelers-wr-mike-wallace-should-learn-from-tennessee-titans-rb-chris-johnson-2/