PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Guard FAs

steelz09
03-15-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm surprised our starting guards aren't hot commodities given their low tenders.
Could that be an indication that the other 31 teams know our guards are doo doo and want nothing to do w/ them?:tt1

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm surprised our starting guards aren't hot commodities given their low tenders.
Could that be an indication that the other 31 teams know our guards are doo doo and want nothing to do w/ them?:tt1

actually, I don't think Ramon Foster is as bad as some people make him out to be and in my opinion Doug Legursky is a valuable OG/OC swingman.

I wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade at the OG position but I hope both Foster and Legs remain Steelers next season...

steelz09
03-15-2012, 10:17 PM
actually, I don't think Ramon Foster is as bad as some people make him out to be and in my opinion Doug Legursky is a valuable OG/OC swingman.

I wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade at the OG position but I hope both Foster and Legs remain Steelers next season...

Personally, I think Hills should have been kept around as he played better than both Legursky and Foster. Legursky has played well though at times.. he can lineup as FB, Guard, and play center. That basically guarantees you a roster spot and rightfully so.

D Rock
03-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Evan Mathis. Zero sacks allowed last year.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2012, 11:49 PM
The Titans signed Steve Hutchinson to a 3 year deal...he could possibly wind up in Canton one day, but right now he is a 34 year old guard...no numbers have been released yet, though, so we don't know if Tennessee did something stupid like the Jets did with Faneca once upon a time, paying a guy who is past his prime as if he were still in his prime.

focosteeler
03-16-2012, 01:19 AM
While I like Legs and Foster I would rather have them as our backups on game day. Im still riding the "draft 2 Guards in the 1st 3 rounds train"

hawaiiansteel
03-16-2012, 01:42 AM
While I like Legs and Foster I would rather have them as our backups on game day. Im still riding the "draft 2 Guards in the 1st 3 rounds train"

I'm with you as you can see by my sig mock draft.

I think Foster and Legs would provide great depth as backups but would love to see an upgrade.

Oviedo
03-16-2012, 07:43 AM

They are back ups/emergency starters. Having them in the everyday line up shows how bad we are at the Guard position and explains why we failed so many times in short yardage situations and in the redzone. If you can't generate push you can't win in those situations.

If I was Haley I would have gotten some assurances that the OL was going to be addressed in a big way in this draft. Otherwise we will be hearing the exact same complaints about him as OC as we did Arians.

Hawaiiansteel has it exactly right in his mock draft: Glenn in Round 1 and Zeitler (or another OL) in Round 2. That is what we have to do to fix our OL probelm and protect this teams greatest asset...Ben

Eich
03-16-2012, 08:26 AM
If I was Haley I would have gotten some assurances that the OL was going to be addressed in a big way in this draft. Otherwise we will be hearing the exact same complaints about him as OC as we did Arians.If you were Haley, you were probably thanking your lucky stars that your dream team was actually interested in signing you after being fired as HC and having a reputation for being overly abrasive ! Haley has job security now. The Steelers don't release coaches very often. I'd guess is that he probably didn't come with a lot of demands and told the Steelers what they wanted to hear.

phillyesq
03-16-2012, 08:38 AM
They are back ups/emergency starters. Having them in the everyday line up shows how bad we are at the Guard position and explains why we failed so many times in short yardage situations and in the redzone. If you can't generate push you can't win in those situations.

If I was Haley I would have gotten some assurances that the OL was going to be addressed in a big way in this draft. Otherwise we will be hearing the exact same complaints about him as OC as we did Arians.

Hawaiiansteel has it exactly right in his mock draft: Glenn in Round 1 and Zeitler (or another OL) in Round 2. That is what we have to do to fix our OL probelm and protect this teams greatest asset...Ben

I agree completely on the quality of the OGs. Legursky is a great gameday backup. He can play all three interior positions competently. But he is not an everybody starter. Foster is mediocre on his best days, but that is about it. If the Steelers had really strong play across the rest of the line, you could get by ok with plugging in either one of those guys. But relying on both as starters is a different story.

steelz09
03-16-2012, 10:57 AM
I agree completely on the quality of the OGs. Legursky is a great gameday backup. He can play all three interior positions competently. But he is not an everybody starter. Foster is mediocre on his best days, but that is about it. If the Steelers had really strong play across the rest of the line, you could get by ok with plugging in either one of those guys. But relying on both as starters is a different story.

Yup.. for G being such as easy spot to replace, we should have had a difficult time developing any talent at the position since Faneca left. I would be thrilled w/ Glenn as a 1st round pick. A guy that can pull at G, big/strong/athletic, and potentially backup tackle. It's a win win.

grotonsteel
03-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Steve H to Titans is good news. Tenn Titan most likely won't be going after O-lineman during NFL Draft in Rd 1.

Oviedo
03-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Steve H to Titans is good news. Tenn Titan most likely won't be going after O-lineman during NFL Draft in Rd 1.

If the Titans want Manning they will probably have to write in blood they will take a big time WR in Round 1. Not sure Manning would consider it the highlight of his career having Nate Washington as his go to guy. Britt is too much a headcase to know what you get.

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2012, 02:11 PM

I was hoping that Dallas would sign someone like Nicks or Grubbs in free agency, so they'd go after a CB like Dre Kirkpatrick or Janorris Jenkins in the draft, allowing DeCastro to fall with range of a reasonable trade-up. Instead, they signed CB Brandon Carr, meaning that interior o-line will now be their biggest need in the draft (signing Mackenzie Bernadeau was merely a depth move). Since the Cowboys always seemed to prefer massive, mauling o-linemen to the smaller, more athletic types, perhaps they'd prefer someone with Glenn's size over someone with DeCastro's size (even though most feel that DeCastro is the superior prospect).

calmkiller
03-16-2012, 03:04 PM

I would agree with both of these statements. We have needed Oline help for years. Pouncey was a good start, but they stopped after that.

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2012, 03:06 PM
I would agree with both of these statements. We have needed Oline help for years. Pouncey was a good start, but they stopped after that.

:confused:

There has only been one draft since we got Pouncey and we drafted OT Marcus Gilbert in round 2.

calmkiller
03-16-2012, 03:38 PM
:confused:

There has only been one draft since we got Pouncey and we drafted OT Marcus Gilbert in round 2.

True, I wanted Pouncey 2 though. If it is a glaring need it should be addressed. Hopefully this year.

Sugar
03-16-2012, 03:41 PM
True, I wanted Pouncey 2 though. If it is a glaring need it should be addressed. Hopefully this year.

How would we have gotten Mike Pouncey?? He was severely overvalued and went far before we could have hoped to even trade-up for him. Gilbert was a good pick and the next best thing- possibly even better in the long run.

calmkiller
03-16-2012, 03:59 PM
How would we have gotten Mike Pouncey?? He was severely overvalued and went far before we could have hoped to even trade-up for him. Gilbert was a good pick and the next best thing- possibly even better in the long run.

I agree. I am wrong in my assessment, I just feel that we need 2 guards and we drafted a tackle. We need to draft a true player for the position, not a project.

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2012, 04:01 PM

We would have had to trade up ahead of Miami who was picking at #15 to get him.

According to the trade value chart, the #14 pick is worth 1100 points.

The combined total of all 7 of our picks last year was 1083.8 (1.31=600, 2.63=276, 3.95=120, 4.128=44, 5.162=27.6, 6.196=14, 7.232=2.2).

We weren't going to make a Mike Ditka-Ricky Williams trade for a guard.

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2012, 04:02 PM
I agree. I am wrong in my assessment, I just feel that we need 2 guards and we drafted a tackle. We need to draft a true player for the position, not a project.

We sure as hell needed Gilbert to play tackle for us last year...

Keyplay1
03-20-2012, 06:53 AM
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=OL&y=2012

Okay, I think the link worked. But trying to copy and paste the page does not. The entire post disappears somewhere. I am beginning to suspect there are still some glitches on the new site.

Anyway what I said was: Even some of us casual fans can't help but notice just about all the OL in the league are on that list. Many of them really high profile players from the past few years.

In 2001 the Steelers signed Jeff Hartings.

In 2000[??] the Steelers signed James Farrior.

Now I was going to paste the drafts in those two years but the post would then disappear. If I did so you could see how those signings combined with the draft really strengthened the Steelers mucho. In 2000 FA ILB draft Plaxico Burress WR Marvel Smith OL plus others who helped. In 2001 signed OL Hartings and drafted Casey Hampton DL and Kendrell Bell ILB plus others who helped.

I thought this was a real good strategy. But from what I have been reading here and hearing on the radio it might not be necessary this year and the draft could suffice. Still?

BTW: Is that sign in and reregister stuff still on everyone elses page 1 taking up half the page?

steelz09
03-20-2012, 12:09 PM
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=OL&y=2012

Okay, I think the link worked. But trying to copy and paste the page does not. The entire post disappears somewhere. I am beginning to suspect there are still some glitches on the new site.

Anyway what I said was: Even some of us casual fans can't help but notice just about all the OL in the league are on that list. Many of them really high profile players from the past few years.

In 2001 the Steelers signed Jeff Hartings.

In 2000[??] the Steelers signed James Farrior.

Now I was going to paste the drafts in those two years but the post would then disappear. If I did so you could see how those signings combined with the draft really strengthened the Steelers mucho. In 2000 FA ILB draft Plaxico Burress WR Marvel Smith OL plus others who helped. In 2001 signed OL Hartings and drafted Casey Hampton DL and Kendrell Bell ILB plus others who helped.

I thought this was a real good strategy. But from what I have been reading here and hearing on the radio it might not be necessary this year and the draft could suffice. Still?

BTW: Is that sign in and reregister stuff still on everyone elses page 1 taking up half the page?

#1 - That link didn't work for me.

#2 - Did you try to copy & paste as plain text? This feature is to the left of the "B" (bold) button.

#3 - If there are glitches, don't report them in a unrelated thread because the mods and myself can't always read every post, in every single thread.. Please report issues to the "Comments" forum.

Keyplay1
03-20-2012, 03:07 PM
steelz09 said:

#1 - That link didn't work for me.

#2 - Did you try to copy & paste as plain text? This feature is to the left of the "B" (bold) button.

#3 - If there are glitches, don't report them in a unrelated thread because the mods and myself can't always read every post, in every single thread.. Please report issues to the "Comments" forum.

1. The link definitely is working.

2. Okay, I didn't have to type your quote which is fine. Copy Paste worked.

3. Okay. Will try to see if the c&p thing works. If not will do as you suggested.

But the idea of the post was to support what many posters want in their mock drafts and posts.

The idea of getting at least one quality FA to support the draft probably was the reason for all the Steeler success in the last decade. Then the Steelers could focus on a player like Ben, Troy, Santonio, etc. Since the team was already solid.

It could be a DB ILB OL it does not matter. Then the team can focus on its targets. [draft 2or3 at a position and maybe get lucky with one]

Everyone seems to be overlooking the fact that besides the several players being cut there are a half dozen more who are getting up there also.

Even though I sort of agreed with Starky that the recent losses have pretty much been accounted for. I just happen to think that in a few short years this team will get way to thin to be on top. Now is as good time as any to really seriously re-whatever.

I don't know if any one was really watching but the past 2 years[maybe 3] 2 for sure, whenever Farrior was not in the lineup at least in preseason games no combination of players could stop the run. Ben would have a hard time putting up points if he never has the ball. LOL

[