PDA

View Full Version : Hampton Restructured His Deal

phillyesq
03-15-2012, 09:47 AM
No word whether this was a pay cut or an extra year was added.

Thursday, March 15, 2012Steelers NT Casey Hampton Restructures Contract

The Pittsburgh Steelers worked feverishly to get under the salary cap, restructuring the contracts of Willie Colon, Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley, Ben Roethlisberger and Ike Taylor, as well as saying goodbye to James Farrior, Chris Kemoeatu, Aaron Smith, Arnaz Battle and Bryant McFadden.

According to a league source, the Steelers got a little further under the salary cap by restructuring the final year of nose tackle Casey Hampton's three-year, $21 million contract.

Hampton, who will turn 35 by the start of the regular season, was scheduled to earn $4.89 million in base salary with a $1 million workout bonus in 2012 and his cap number was $8.057 million. Under the restructure, Hampton reduced his base salary to $2.8 million and his workout bonus is gone, reducing his cap number by $3.09 million.

The 19th overall pick of the 2001 NFL Draft, Hampton has started 148 of 157 games, totaling 347 tackles and nine sacks, but anchoring a run defense that annually ranks among the best in the NFL. Opposing teams have averaged over 100 yards per game on the ground in just one season (2003) since Hampton arrived in 2001.

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2012/03/steelers-nt-casey-hampton-restructures.html

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Oh boy...Money for Wallace?

steelblood
03-15-2012, 09:57 AM
As long as we didn't extend him, I'm ok with this. 35 year old with a torn ACL cannot be extended.

feltdizz
03-15-2012, 10:04 AM
148 of 157 games? Wow.. that's an amazing stat for an obese fatty:p

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2012, 10:05 AM
This is not a restructure per se...you can't restructure a guy in the final year of his contract with extending said contract. Hampton simply took a pay cut. This may be unprecedented in Steeler history. I don't recall us ever giving someone a pay cut like this...Hampton gave up $3 million to stay ($2 million in salary and a $1 million workout bonus). Hines asked for a pay cut, and we didn't give him one...we cut him outright.

Oviedo
03-15-2012, 10:15 AM
This is not a restructure per se...you can't restructure a guy in the final year of his contract with extending said contract. Hampton simply took a pay cut. This may be unprecedented in Steeler history. I don't recall us ever giving someone a pay cut like this...Hampton gave up $3 million to stay ($2 million in salary and a $1 million workout bonus). Hines asked for a pay cut, and we didn't give him one...we cut him outright.

Perhaps speaks to our lack of options at the NT position versus WR where we have other options.

Crash
03-15-2012, 10:18 AM
I wish they would have done this BEFORE Nicks went to Tampa.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2012, 10:25 AM
I wish they would have done this BEFORE Nicks went to Tampa.

Nicks was a pipe dream. Some folks on this board would rather lose Mike Wallace than pay him $9 million a year, but you want to bring in a guard for $9.5 million a year.

Crash
03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Nicks was a pipe dream. Some folks on this board would rather lose Mike Wallace than pay him $9 million a year, but you want to bring in a guard for $9.5 million a year.

If you rework Harrison, Heath, and Hampton? They could have signed BOTH.

Chadman
03-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Well, there's your indication as to what will happen with Wallace...

Lebsteel
03-15-2012, 10:38 AM

I wouldn't pay Wallace $9 million per year and I really wouldn't pay Nicks $9.5 mil per year. Real value for both would be in the $7.5 mil range IMHO.

Crash
03-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Yeah I'd say Wallace and the Steelers are close to a long term deal.

They are roughly $6.8 million under the cap with this re-work.

BigRob
03-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Wexell says this guy has had good info all year. Wexell also said we are about 6 million under the cap if this is true, not the 1.5 million being reported. However, we still need about 5 million for draft picks.

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2012/03/steelers-nt-casey-hampton-restructures.html

Dee Dub
03-15-2012, 12:37 PM

Cha-ching!! Money post. Ruthless gets it. :Clap

I dont get how some Steelers fans all of a sudden at this time of year, every year, seem to lose all sense of reality when it comes to the Steelers and free agency.

Carl Nicks? really? Like that was ever going to happen. This is not the Steelers way of doing things. And that is not going to change.

Dee Dub
03-15-2012, 12:42 PM
If you rework Harrison, Heath, and Hampton? They could have signed BOTH.

You cannot re-work everyones contract Crash. There are consequences down the road for doing this. The Steelers know this. They have already extended themselves quite a bit in future years with several off season contracts being re-worked. Accept the Steeler way. It works and it results in them being consistently good to great more than any other organization.

Slapstick
03-15-2012, 12:44 PM
What option did Hampton have?

The Steelers could have cut him outright...I strongly doubt that Casey could have gotten a 1 year, $2.8 million deal as a 34-35 year old NT with a torn ACL...

Dee Dub
03-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah I'd say Wallace and the Steelers are close to a long term deal.

They are roughly $6.8 million under the cap with this re-work.

I wouldn't re-sign Mike Wallace until next season. Why would you? There is no need to do so. Let's see him one more year, as well as whether or not Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders continue to develop. The Steelers may have strength in numbers going into next off season. It is to their advantage to wait. And if history is an indicator players not under long term contracts going into a free agent year tend to player better and more motivated.

Crash
03-15-2012, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't re-sign Mike Wallace until next season. Why would you? There is no need to do so. Let's see him one more year, as well as whether or not Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders continue to develop. The Steelers may have strength in numbers going into next off season. It is to their advantage to wait. And if history is an indicator players not under long term contracts going into a free agent year tend to player better and more motivated.

And if you feel he's going to have another big year? He'll get MORE MONEY next year, then what Jackson just got from Tampa.

Crash
03-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Cha-ching!! Money post. Ruthless gets it. :Clap

I dont get how some Steelers fans all of a sudden at this time of year, every year, seem to lose all sense of reality when it comes to the Steelers and free agency.

Carl Nicks? really? Like that was ever going to happen. This is not the Steelers way of doing things. And that is not going to change.

Jeff Hartings ring a bell? He was the best OG on the market and we gave him huge money.

steelz09
03-15-2012, 12:55 PM
What option did Hampton have?

The Steelers could have cut him outright...I strongly doubt that Casey could have gotten a 1 year, $2.8 million deal as a 34-35 year old NT with a torn ACL...

Actually, I'm going to reverse this and say 2 things:

1) I applaud Hampton for accepting a pay cut. Sometimes Hampton is overlooked as being a leader / "team player" but he has come through twice in a row regarding his contract ..

2) Let's reverse the quote above and ask the question: "What other options do the Steelers have?"

Hood at NT? That's unproven at best. McClendon? He was impressive last year but can he sustain that throughout an entire year? Where is the depth? I like having Hampton for one more year but significantly split his time between 1 or 2 players whether that be McClendon & a rookie, McClendon & Hood, or whatever combination.

Good move by the Steelers. Good move by Hampton.

Dee Dub
03-15-2012, 12:55 PM
And if you feel he's going to have another big year? He'll get MORE MONEY next year, then what Jackson just got from Tampa.

When have the Steelers ever had a problem signing players they want to keep to big contracts? Why do you have such a problem with paying a player who has earned more money? If Mike Wallace earns more money than Vincent Jackson then pay him for it.

Crash
03-15-2012, 12:57 PM
When have the Steelers ever had a problem signing players they want to keep to big contracts? Why do you have such a problem with paying a player who has earned more money? If Mike Wallace earns more money than Vincent Jackson then pay him for it.

I have no problem with it at all. But waiting until next year, if you already think he'll have a big 2012 is foolish. Why give up the only leverage you have with him being a RFA?

You really want to let all 31 other teams get a free crack at Wallace in the UFA market? I sure as hell wouldn't.

steelblood
03-15-2012, 01:01 PM
you can't restructure a guy in the final year of his contract with extending said contract.

Really? I think that is what we did with Aaron Smith last season. It was a restructure and extension to free up space by splitting out his bonus owed for an extra season.
http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/steelers_extend_restructure_aaron_smith_contract_t o_free_up_cap_room/7290814

Dee Dub
03-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Jeff Hartings ring a bell? He was the best OG on the market and we gave him huge money.

No actually Hartings was a guard who they converted to center, and as a result they got him for less than top guard money. But if one or two (Farrior), middle to big money free agents in the history of free agency is what you want to hang your hat on and think is the Steeler way or think they are going to change then you dont get it.

And by the way, Hartings was never a top O-lineman until he came to the Steelers. All his pro bowl years came as a Steeler.

steelz09
03-15-2012, 01:03 PM
I have no problem with it at all. But waiting until next year, if you already think he'll have a big 2012 is foolish. Why give up the only leverage you have with him being a RFA?

You really want to let all 31 other teams get a free crack at Wallace in the UFA market? I sure as hell wouldn't.

I agree ... The Steeler have publicily announced that they want Wallace to sign a long term deal. If they can sign him this year, they'll do it. Each year, players sign for more and more. Next year will be no different. Crash is right, the Steelers have at least a little advantage right now. Next year, they'll have none unless he gets injured or significantly underperforms. The Steelers FO aren't the type to "bet" on those 2 things.

BigRob
03-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Wexell says this guy has had good info all year. Wexell also said we are about 6 million under the cap if this is true, not the 1.5 million being reported. However, we still need about 5 million for draft picks.

****, didn't see the other thread. Feel free to delete this one.

BigRob
03-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Well, there's your indication as to what will happen with Wallace...

How so? They were roughly 3 million under the cap before they asked Hamp to take a pay cut. I've heard it reported they needed 5 million dollars to sign draft picks. This would leave them about 1 million left with that factored.

I don't think this reflects on Wallace at all. His cap number will be reduced from 2.7 million this year with an extension without this being done. So, this really doesn't reflect on them doing anything with Wallace yet. His extension if he gets one will come in July-August as most Steeler extensions do.

I see this as more of an opportunity to try and squeeze in a bargain FA or 2.

Dee Dub
03-15-2012, 01:13 PM
I agree ... The Steeler have publicily announced that they want Wallace to sign a long term deal. If they can sign him this year, they'll do it. Each year, players sign for more and more. Next year will be no different. Crash is right, the Steelers have at least a little advantage right now. Next year, they'll have none unless he gets injured or significantly underperforms. The Steelers FO aren't the type to "bet" on those 2 things.

Funny, I have never known the Steelers to work off of the idea of having leverage on their players. Every great player who has excelled on the field who they wanted to keep they have never had a problem with signing them to market value. What player in the past 10 years have they held leverage over when it came to signing them long term? Harrison? Woodley? Troy? Ben? Hines in his prime? Hampton in his prime? Aaron Smith? Ike? None. They have all been paid at or above market value with no leverage being held above their heads.

And they can franchise Wallace after next year. Essentially getting him for this year and next for an average of about 6 to 7 million dollars. That is in the best interest of the Steelers.

Oviedo
03-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Funny, I have never known the Steelers to work off of the idea of having leverage on their players. Every great player who has excelled on the field who they wanted to keep they have never had a problem with signing them to market value. What player in the past 10 years have they held leverage over when it came to signing them long term? Harrison? Woodley? Troy? Ben? Hines in his prime? Hampton in his prime? Aaron Smith? Ike? None. They have all been paid at or above market value with no leverage being held above their heads.

And they can franchise Wallace after next year. Essentially getting him for this year and next for an average of about 6 to 7 million dollars. That is in the best interest of the Steelers.

The franchise tag for WR next year could be around $10M after all the recent signings. That means that the team will have to come up with an extra $7.3M to take Wallace from this year's $2.7M to $10M next year. Keep in mind the cap doesn't jump until 2014. That is still alot of cap space that we don't have unless we start cutting some guys like Harrison.

That is why it is best to sign Wallace now versus franchising him next year so we can spread out the cap damage. also, if he continues to perform well, I would then expect Brown to get the 1st Round RFA tender next year.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Really? I think that is what we did with Aaron Smith last season. It was a restructure and extension to free up space by splitting out his bonus owed for an extra season.
http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/steelers_extend_restructure_aaron_smith_contract_t o_free_up_cap_room/7290814

You are correct. I meant to say "you can't restructure a guy in the final year of his contract withOUT extending said contract." Sometimes my mind works faster than my fingers. ;)

steelz09
03-15-2012, 01:50 PM

You may be right... but you contradicted yourself about "leverage". Using the RFA tag this year and the Franchise Tag next year is utilizing leverage. It's acceptable, and a lot of players don't like it, but the Steelers can certainly "leverage" that capability.

The Steelers typically don't allow their "key players" (the ones they want to sign) to become UFAs. They sign them before they hit the open mark (ala this year for Wallace). Both strategies will work but you're rolling the dice either way.

1) Wallace could have a blow out year, improve his stock, and leave as a UFA next year.
2) Wallace could have a similar year, his stock will stay the same, but they'll still need to shell out more money next year for a long term deal.
3) Wallace could blow out his knee, his stock will decline, and the Steelers could then sign him for cheap or let him walk
4) Wallace could put up subpar stats, his stock will decline, and the Steelers could then sign him for cheap or let him walk
5) Wallace could have a better/similar year as this year, the Steelers could franchise him and Wallace could hold out. Franchising a WR in the prime of his career isn't the Steelers style IMO.

Crash
03-15-2012, 01:51 PM

How many of those guys above hit the open market?

That's exactly our point.

If Wallace hits unrestricted free agency? He won't be here after 2012.

You think franchising Wallace is smart? That would be what? A $10 million HARD cap hit?

Are you nuts?

Crash
03-15-2012, 02:24 PM
And by the way, Hartings was never a top O-lineman until he came to the Steelers. All his pro bowl years came as a Steeler.

I said Hartings was the top OG on the market when he hit free agency in 2001. Kiper had him as the #2 best OL on the market behind HOF-caliber Will Shields.

2. Jeff Hartings (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3524) | Detroit: Quality performer up front for the Lions, with some talk as well about moving Hartings from guard to the pivot position.

http://espn.go.com/melkiper/s/2001/0223/1104826.html

Hartings, a first round pick in 1996 was a Pro Bowl alternate for the Lions in 1998 and 1999. He wasn't some schlep we signed off the street.

steelblood
03-15-2012, 02:26 PM
You are correct. I meant to say "you can't restructure a guy in the final year of his contract withOUT extending said contract." Sometimes my mind works faster than my fingers. ;)

so we did extend hampton? yuck.

Crash
03-15-2012, 02:28 PM
He took a paycut from people are saying.

Slapstick
03-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Actually, I'm going to reverse this and say 2 things:

1) I applaud Hampton for accepting a pay cut. Sometimes Hampton is overlooked as being a leader / "team player" but he has come through twice in a row regarding his contract ..

2) Let's reverse the quote above and ask the question: "What other options do the Steelers have?"

Hood at NT? That's unproven at best. McClendon? He was impressive last year but can he sustain that throughout an entire year? Where is the depth? I like having Hampton for one more year but significantly split his time between 1 or 2 players whether that be McClendon & a rookie, McClendon & Hood, or whatever combination.

Good move by the Steelers. Good move by Hampton.

Can Casey recover from ACl surgery?

Casey had no cards...but, I agree, it was a good move for both...

phillyesq
03-15-2012, 02:54 PM

You think franchising Wallace is smart? That would be what? A $10 million HARD cap hit?

Are you nuts?

If you think of the franchise tag next year as giving Wallace a 2 year, $12 million dollar deal, that isn't nearly as bad.

Who knows what Wallace is asking for right now. What he and his agent need to keep in mind is that they don't have nearly the leverage that the UFA WRs do, making a Stevie Johnson level contract more appropriate for Wallace than a Vincent Jackson or even Desean Jackson level contract.

Crash
03-15-2012, 02:56 PM
If you think of the franchise tag next year as giving Wallace a 2 year, $12 million dollar deal, that isn't nearly as bad.

It's also about CAP ROOM. They can't give him a $10 mil (at least) cap hit for one year.

steelz09
03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Can Casey recover from ACl surgery?

Casey had no cards...but, I agree, it was a good move for both...

Casey had no cards? What about the card that shows the Steelers have no NT alternative.

You want to go into the season with McClendon as your only NT? Yea, that's brilliant.

What about Hood? A guy that has never played NT before as your centerpiece of your 3-4 piece. No thank you.

Dee Dub
03-15-2012, 03:01 PM
The franchise tag for WR next year could be around $10M after all the recent signings. That means that the team will have to come up with an extra $7.3M to take Wallace from this year's $2.7M to $10M next year. Keep in mind the cap doesn't jump until 2014. That is still alot of cap space that we don't have unless we start cutting some guys like Harrison.

That is why it is best to sign Wallace now versus franchising him next year so we can spread out the cap damage. also, if he continues to perform well, I would then expect Brown to get the 1st Round RFA tender next year.

I am only suggesting the franchise as last resort. As something the Steelers have to fall back on. What I want to see is what Wallace will do in year 4. A year he plays at 2.7 million while playing for a long term contract. Whether he sulks, sits out, becomes a distraction, or dedicates himself to becoming great. Also it would help the Steelers decision to see if Emmanuel Sanders actually develops into a bonafide receiver.

One thing we dont know about next off-season is what happens to other players. Injuries, off field issues, players aging and whether or not they slow down, etc., etc. Some of these things can and will change the Steelers overall approach and will play a part in their cap space/room.

Dee Dub
03-15-2012, 03:09 PM

Are you nuts?

LaMarr Woodley was fanchise tagged before he signed a long term contract. Why cant they do that to Wallace (if as last resort), and avoid that $10 million Hard cap hit?

Dee Dub
03-15-2012, 03:25 PM
This time next year the Steelers may no longer have Harrison (35 in 2013), Keisel (35), Taylor (33), Clark (34), Colon (30), etc. All of whom could very well save the Steelers money going forward. And Jonathan Scott (2.2 million), Larry Foote (3.00 million), and Hampton (3.00 million), Allen (1.2 million), Miller (4.2 million), all come off the books (13.6 million total), after next season.

steelz09
03-15-2012, 03:52 PM
This time next year the Steelers may no longer have Harrison (35 in 2013), Keisel (35), Taylor (33), Clark (34), Colon (30), etc. All of whom could very well save the Steelers money going forward. And Jonathan Scott (2.2 million), Larry Foote (3.00 million), and Hampton (3.00 million), Allen (1.2 million), Miller (4.2 million), all come off the books (13.6 million total), after next season.

Wow .. that warrants a new thread w/ a title: "Defense Needs to Get Younger". :)

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2012, 04:06 PM
so we did extend hampton? yuck.

Nope. No more years added...this will still be the last year of his deal. He just took a flat-out pay cut (not a restructure). Took $2,090,000 less in salary and also eliminated a $1 million workout bonus. As far back as I can remember, I do not recall the Steelers ever working out a pay cut for a player. It's always been either players were simply cut or else they base salary was converted into signing bonus for players who have multiple years left on their contract (like Ben, Woodley, Timmons, Ike, and Colon did this year) or they added an additional year or years to a contract that was expiring (the example you gave early with Aaron Smith a year ago).

steelblood
03-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Nope. No more years added...this will still be the last year of his deal. He just took a flat-out pay cut (not a restructure). Took $2,090,000 less in salary and also eliminated a $1 million workout bonus. As far back as I can remember, I do not recall the Steelers ever working out a pay cut for a player. It's always been either players were simply cut or else they base salary was converted into signing bonus for players who have multiple years left on their contract (like Ben, Woodley, Timmons, Ike, and Colon did this year) or they added an additional year or years to a contract that was expiring (the example you gave early with Aaron Smith a year ago).

Reducing salary and eliminating a bonus sure sounds like a restructuring. Lawyer talk gives me a headache.

Crash
03-15-2012, 04:44 PM
LaMarr Woodley was fanchise tagged before he signed a long term contract

Which means?

HE NEVER HIT THE OPEN MARKET.

Dee Dub
03-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Which means?

HE NEVER HIT THE OPEN MARKET.

Are you kidding me? I gave this example because you keep saying if Wallace hits the open market the Steelers will lose him. If they want him they can do the same as they did with Woodley. Franchise him then sign him to a long term contract. This gives them more time and opportunity to see what happens with him as well as others on the team....and why I dont think they should resign Wallace now or before next off-season. There is no need too. Makes no sense to do so.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Reducing salary and eliminating a bonus sure sounds like a restructuring. Lawyer talk gives me a headache.

Restructuring means that you are moving money around (converting salary into signing bonus so that players get their money up front and the team gets immediate cap relief), but the player gets no more money or no less money as a result of it (Ben, Woodley, Timmons, Ike, and Colon still get the same amount of money this season...they just get a really large check now, and then smaller checks after each game). What Hampton did is different...not a restructure like Ben, Woodley, Timmons, Ike, and Colon...it's a flat-out pay cut; Snack will be getting less money overall this season...$3.09 million less.

Crash
03-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Are you kidding me? I gave this example because you keep saying if Wallace hits the open market the Steelers will lose him.

And they will.

squidkid
03-15-2012, 06:34 PM
the fat arse is getting almost 2 million more than he should be this year.....poor decision by the front office

BigRob
03-15-2012, 06:55 PM
the fat arse is getting almost 2 million more than he should be this year.....poor decision by the front office

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but they can still cut him in training camp and not take a cap hit correct? If that is the case, then smart move by the FO.

Dee Dub
03-15-2012, 06:57 PM
And they will.

You seem to not be getting this. Mike Wallace only hits the free agency market next off-season only if the Steelers do not want to lock him to a long term contract.

And since their track record is like tremendous on this, I will give way to their judgement on it. And again...I do not thinking signing Mike Wallace to a long term contract now or before next off-season is in the best interests of the Steelers. And there might not be a bigger Mike Wallace supporter on this forum than me. Let next season play out and see what he does and what happens to other players on the roster. If they want him then, they can go the route they went with LaMarr Woodley.

Easy as pie!!

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2012, 07:51 PM
THURSDAY, MARCH 15, 2012

Hampton takes a cut

With Casey Hampton taking a cut in pay - it's a cut, not a restructure as some are reporting it - the Steelers' need to take a nose tackle high in the draft is a little less pressing.

And it again goes to show how the Steelers like to do business.

Pittsburgh never likes to go into a season being forced to rely on a rookie at any position, particularly on defense.

That's why there hasn't been a full-time rookie starter on the team's defense since Hampton and Kendrell Bell broke in there in 2001.

And even at that, Hampton and Bell had to earn their spots. They weren't handed the positions.

So the Steelers now have Hampton under contract, meaning they can ease a rookie into the rotation if he deserves it. The same goes at inside linebacker, where they are comfortable playing Larry Foote beside Lawrence Timmons if need be.

Certainly, things aren't so cut-and-dried on offense. But even in cases where rookies have come in and started - Ben Roethlisberger, Maurkice Pouncey, etc. - the Steelers had veteran options around just in case things took a little longer than expected.

It's the Steelers way. And it's worked for some time.

So while fans may get upset that both Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin don't like to play rookies, the reality is that they don't like to HAVE to play rookies. And there is a difference.

posted by Dale Lolley

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

phillyesq
03-15-2012, 07:52 PM

The prorated portion of his signing bonus that was out there was a sunk cost and was going to count against the cap one way or another. So essentially, the Steelers are paying Hampton $2.8 million dollars this year. Though not the player he was, that is still very good value for Hampton.

There is no way that the Steelers would find somebody better than Hampton for less than $2.8 million this year.

Chadman
03-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Unless the Steelers find a geuine, viable option at NT going forward- the day Hampton retires, the Steelers defense will struggle.

This draft coming up will be very interesting- Steelers have shown interest in Fletcher Cox & Jerrell Worthy...not exactly the typical 3-4 NT...maybe Bouchette is on the money? Could Ziggy be on the move?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-15-2012, 10:50 PM

Bettis was paycut.

Oviedo
03-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Unless the Steelers find a geuine, viable option at NT going forward- the day Hampton retires, the Steelers defense will struggle.

This draft coming up will be very interesting- Steelers have shown interest in Fletcher Cox & Jerrell Worthy...not exactly the typical 3-4 NT...maybe Bouchette is on the money? Could Ziggy be on the move?

But they would fit very nicely in a 4-3 defensive front.

Slapstick
03-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Casey had no cards? What about the card that shows the Steelers have no NT alternative.

You want to go into the season with McClendon as your only NT? Yea, that's brilliant.

What about Hood? A guy that has never played NT before as your centerpiece of your 3-4 piece. No thank you.

Brilliant or not, no thank you or not, that's what they would have done if Casey had not agreed to a pay cut...

phillyesq
03-16-2012, 09:21 AM
But they would fit very nicely in a 4-3 defensive front.

No chance Steelers are thinking of 4-3, per Colbert via Wexell:

James C Wexell ‏ @jimwexell

Reply (http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/)
RetweetedRetweet (http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/)
Delete (http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/)
FavoritedFavorite (http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/)
Close Open Details (http://www.planetsteelers.com/#!/jimwexell/status/180638972190531584)
"@BelowZero8 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/#!/BelowZero8) that will keep the rumors turning that Tomlin is set to switch to a 4-3." -- I asked Colbert at combine. He said no chance

Oviedo
03-16-2012, 09:26 AM
No chance Steelers are thinking of 4-3, per Colbert via Wexell:

"@BelowZero8 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/#!/BelowZero8) that will keep the rumors turning that Tomlin is set to switch to a 4-3." -- I asked Colbert at combine. He said no chance
[/I][/I][/I][/I]

Smokescreen!!!!! Do you divulge your trial strategy before the trial?

I'm always hopeful.

phillyesq
03-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Smokescreen!!!!! Do you divulge your trial strategy before the trial?

I'm always hopeful.

If nothing else, I have to give you credit for that. Always an optimist.

Wexell had some interesting things to say on the topic. Says that Tomlin prefers small, faster NT to run the 3-4 in the Chris Hoke mold. He's also pretty critical of Ziggy, who had a subpar year last year. I wonder if the Steelers are comfortable with Ziggy as a starter at LE or if they want to add another body to the mix.

steelblood
Restructuring means that you are moving money around (converting salary into signing bonus so that players get their money up front and the team gets immediate cap relief), but the player gets no more money or no less money as a result of it (Ben, Woodley, Timmons, Ike, and Colon still get the same amount of money this season...they just get a really large check now, and then smaller checks after each game). What Hampton did is different...not a restructure like Ben, Woodley, Timmons, Ike, and Colon...it's a flat-out pay cut; Snack will be getting less money overall this season...$3.09 million less.

Are you a lawyer? You talk like one of those varmints. :D:)

Full Disclosure: My father is one.

Chadman
Michigan held its pro day on Thursday, drawing 25 NFL teams to watch players work out. The Steelers brought a strong contingent, with coach Mike Tomlin, GM Kevin Colbert and assistant head coach/DL coach John Mitchell on hand.

NT Mike Martin worked out well....

phillyesq
03-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Michigan held its pro day on Thursday, drawing 25 NFL teams to watch players work out. The Steelers brought a strong contingent, with coach Mike Tomlin, GM Kevin Colbert and assistant head coach/DL coach John Mitchell on hand.

NT Mike Martin worked out well....

Wexell seems to think that the Steelers are very interested in Martin but might need to take him in the second if they want him.

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Are you a lawyer? You talk like one of those varmints. :D:)

Full Disclosure: My father is one.

I leave all the lawyerin' around here to phillyesq.

And MJG's lawyer, who was suing me for copyright infringement for EPIC mock drafts that are BEAST!

grotonsteel
03-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Wexell seems to think that the Steelers are very interested in Martin but might need to take him in the second if they want him.

I don't have an Insider Account on ESPN but this is intersting tidbit

http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/michigan/post/_/id/3368/former-u-m-players-do-well-at-pro-day

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin called Ryan Van Bergen and Mike Martin over, pulled his defensive line coach in, too, and told them to all work out.

The Steelers coach wanted to see the two former Michigan defensive linemen go through their position drills at the Wolverines’ Pro Day on Thursday at Schembechler Hall.

Van Bergen got the feeling he did well.

I won't be surprised if Mike martin is Rd 2 pick.

Oviedo
03-16-2012, 01:23 PM

The realitry with any Steelers draft is that if they like a player they almost always have to take them one round earlier than the pundits ranks them. Just the nature of picking late all the time.

I have no issue with that because the rankings are BS and if you really like a player take them when you can.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-18-2012, 12:10 AM
I'd be concerned about Martin's size...to me, he looks smaller than Hoke. Tomlin might like lighter and smaller at NT, but Martin might be too much so.