PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin and Colbert attend Michigan State Pro Day

steelblood
03-15-2012, 08:21 AM
I find it interesting that both Tomlin and Cobert attended the Michigan State pro day. Both only attend a few pro days. It is intriguing to me because I am not sure which players they were there to see. Here is who worked out:

Jerrell Worthy DT - Undersized Nose? Many think he is a 3 technique only.

Kirk Cousins QB - Day two or early Day three. Great leader, a little undersized. Decent arm.

Edwin Baker 5'8 215 RB, Very short but runs with power. Did not catch many passes and looked bad in receiving drills at pro day (according to Mayock). Middle rounds.

Keshawn Martin WR slot receiver, Middle-late rounds

B.J. Cunningham WR big body, soft hands, mid-late rounds.

Trent Robinson FS ran in the high 4.4s. A bit undersized. I've seen him get beat on double moves and whiff in the hole on run support. Not a fan.

Discipline of Steel
03-15-2012, 09:13 AM
I am a Spartan and watch several State games this year. I would be very happy if we are able to select Cousins in this draft. He showed me that he is a great leader.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2012, 10:13 AM
I am a Spartan and watch several State games this year. I would be very happy if we are able to select Cousins in this draft. He showed me that he is a great leader.

I think Cousins will come off the board in the early 2nd round (some team may even trade up into the late first if they really like him)...we won't spend one of our premium picks on a backup QB.

Chadman
03-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Doubt the Steelers would send Tomlin & Colbert to evaluate a player for a late round pick.

There's only 1 guy there projected for the 1st- Jerrell Worthy. Watching clips of him, he certainly produces some push in the passing game. 3-4 DE perhaps? Ziggy to NT?

Crash
03-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Tomlin had dinner with Cousins.

steelblood
03-15-2012, 10:59 AM
I don't know about DE Chadman. Worthy is only 6'2. Hood was a stretch for DE at 6'3.

I do agree with you that Worthy would be a good interior pocket pusher/pass rusher in nickel situations.

grotonsteel
03-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Doubt the Steelers would send Tomlin & Colbert to evaluate a player for a late round pick.

There's only 1 guy there projected for the 1st- Jerrell Worthy. Watching clips of him, he certainly produces some push in the passing game. 3-4 DE perhaps? Ziggy to NT?

So Steelers might have Cox or Worthy on their radar for their Rd 1 pick.

I heard steelers are very much interested in Trent Robinson, FS.

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Colbert and Tomlin attend Michigan State Pro Day showing interest in Trent Robinson and Kirk Cousins

March 14th, 2012

Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert are making the rounds this year. The attended Michigan State’s Pro Day today. You never hear of them attending this many pro days. History on Tomlin shows that if he shows up he has real interest. Maybe he is trying to change that perception by attending more pro days this season.

At the Pro Day Tomlin was all over Trent Robinson (https://twitter.com/#!/TonyPauline/status/180019220900352000) according to Tony Pauline. Robinson started his career as a corner and moved to Free Safety. He is very quick and has good feet. He intercepted 9 passes in his career at Michigan State. He was a four year letter winner. Robinson is a little small at 5’9 and 195 for a safety but in today’s passing game he could be very effective as he can cover like a corner just not on an regular basis. That is why he was moved to safety. Robinson is slotted as a 4th or 5th round pick right now.

The Steelers also showed interest in Kirk Cousins. Cousins is a guy that I am interested in also. He was a three year captain and a leader for his team. He is a good quarterback with some inconsistencies. Cousins would make a great back up to Ben Roethlisberger. I think teams will over draft Cousins though. If he makes it to the Steelers pick in the third round do not be surprised to see him in the black and gold.

I am glad to see Tomlin and Colbert out and about. I think hands on experience with guys is a better way to judge mannerisms. You can see football on film like they do also but to see how a kid reacts when all eyes are on him is a different story.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/03/14/colbert-and-tomlin-attend-michigan-state-pro-day-showing-interest-in-trent-robinson-and-kirk-cousins/

steelblood
03-15-2012, 05:06 PM
a 5'9 FS? Troy is 5'10, but he is a special athlete. 5'9 is a lot to overcome when covering TEs and tall WRs. Sounds like he has good speed though -- might be worth a 5th rounder.

Oviedo
03-15-2012, 05:14 PM
So Steelers might have Cox or Worthy on their radar for their Rd 1 pick.

I heard steelers are very much interested in Trent Robinson, FS.

Worthy would make three Defensive Line Round 1 picks in 4 years...can anyone say 4-3 defense????? Just waiting for LeBeau to hang it up:stirpot

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Worthy would make three Defensive Line Round 1 picks in 4 years...can anyone say 4-3 defense????? Just waiting for LeBeau to hang it up:stirpot

you don't like Saint LeBeau? :stirpot

Oviedo
03-15-2012, 06:06 PM
you don't like Saint LeBeau? :stirpot

Don't know so can't like or dislike, but I do know topics that are sure to get people posting:)

Dee Dub
03-15-2012, 07:01 PM
I think Cousins will come off the board in the early 2nd round (some team may even trade up into the late first if they really like him)...we won't spend one of our premium picks on a backup QB.

Agreed! I am hoping someone wants to desperately move up to pick #24 to get Cousins.

I think the Steelers are interested it FS Trent Robinson. And are kicking the tires on Worthy.

Chadman
03-15-2012, 07:34 PM
All reports suggest that Robinson is definately on the radar- but why Tomlin & Colbert for a 4th-5th round pick?

Suspect there was more to that visit. Same with the Ohio St & Miami Pro Days.

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2012, 07:56 PM
a 5'9 FS? Troy is 5'10, but he is a special athlete. 5'9 is a lot to overcome when covering TEs and tall WRs. Sounds like he has good speed though -- might be worth a 5th rounder.

wasn't Bob Sanders only 5'8 or something like that?

Lebsteel
03-15-2012, 08:14 PM

Yes, I was thinking the same thing...maybe that's why they are looking at Fletcher Cox, Miss. St as well. Time to implement Tomlin's Defense. Count on it. :stirpot