PDA

View Full Version : NY Jets showing interest in signing Jerricho Cotchery

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Jets re-sign kicker Folk, have interest in reuniting with Cotchery

Posted by Evan Silva on March 14, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/jerricho-cotchery-pic.jpg?w=250

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News is reporting that the Jets are showing interest (https://twitter.com/#!/TheJetsStream/status/179984782694944770) in free agent wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1618/jerricho-cotchery).

The Jets have not found a No. 2 receiver on the free agent market yet, and we’re not so sure they’re looking. They’ve only shown light interest in lower-tier wideouts like Chaz Schilens (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4964/chaz-schilens).

Cotchery, of course, knows the Jets well. The 29-year-old spent his first seven NFL seasons with New York’s AFC club before playing last year in Pittsburgh.

Cotchery has enough left in the tank to serve as a capable No. 3 or 4 receiver. The Jets might be looking to bring him back for a minimum salary deal.

In more Jets news, the team announced Wednesday afternoon that it has re-signed kicker Nick Folk (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4273/nick-folk).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/14/jets-interested-in-reuniting-with-cotchery/

Oviedo
03-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Cotchery is a good reliable #3. Only makes sense that the Jerks want him back. We should want him too.

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2012, 03:06 PM
If the Jets are only offering a minimum deal for Cotchery, Jerricho himself has already made it abundantly clear that he prefers the atmosphere in Pittsburgh over the Jets chaos.

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2012, 03:09 PM
If the Jets are only offering a minimum deal for Cotchery, Jerricho himself has already made it abundantly clear that he prefers the atmosphere in Pittsburgh over the Jets chaos.

I believe the Jets are offering Cotchery a chance to be their #2 WR while he would most likely be the #3 or #4 WR in Pittsburgh.

Crash
03-14-2012, 03:51 PM
He would be #3B with Sanders' feet issues if Wallace stays.

toddjammin
03-14-2012, 04:06 PM
If we lose Cotchery and Wallace, do you think the Steelers would make a big splash in getting a Free agent Wide Receiver being that we would only have 2 receivers under contract in Brown and Sanders?

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2012, 04:12 PM
If we lose Cotchery and Wallace, do you think the Steelers would make a big splash in getting a Free agent Wide Receiver being that we would only have 2 receivers under contract in Brown and Sanders?

I would appear that all of the "big splash" free agent wide receivers available on the free agent market already signed with teams yesterday. Unless you consider Brandon Lloyd, Laurent Robinson, or Mario Manningham to be suitable replacements for Wallace (not quite).

Crash
03-14-2012, 04:12 PM
If Wallace goes I would almost guarantee that Plax comes back.

pittpete
03-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Steelers dont have the cap space to make a big splash for a big name WR.
Only 3 good ones left anyways
Laurent Robinson
Mario Manningham
Brandon Lloyd
Look for Miami & the 49ers to grab at least 2 of them.

Oviedo
03-14-2012, 04:15 PM
If Wallace goes I would almost guarantee that Plax comes back.

Not sure it guarantees that, but it would guarantee that one of the first three picks we take in the draft will be a WR.

fezziwig
03-14-2012, 04:20 PM
If Wallace and Cotchry go, say hello to Hines Ward again.

Crash
03-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Why? Isn't the object to sign players who can play?

fezziwig
03-14-2012, 04:44 PM
hines hasn't declined that much

pittpete
03-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Fezz, the coaches bumped him down to the #5 WR last season.
Hines is done and should retire while he has his health.

BTW on the salary cap issue I read we are 1.8 mil under as of 4 est today.

Crash
03-14-2012, 05:17 PM
hines hasn't declined that much

Um, yeah, he has. If it's not a designed play like a shuffle, WR screen, or a short roll out pass from Ben? He can't get open.

He JOGS off the LOS now. He simply can't run anymore.

Let him go. It's time to move on.

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Let him go.

We did already. We can't let him go again.

Oviedo
03-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Fezz, the coaches bumped him down to the #5 WR last season.
Hines is done and should retire while he has his health.

BTW on the salary cap issue I read we are 1.8 mil under as of 4 est today.

Not a whole lot of Mike Wallace money there for a $8-9M annual salary and $20+M bonus.

pittpete
03-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Well the board capologists think its possible:confused:

fezziwig
03-14-2012, 08:06 PM
I just figured if push came to shove bring in a guy that knows the system but, that system is gone with BA if you could call his offense a system but again, you guys and your reasoning is correct about Ward. I was comparing the situation to last year and Max Starks.

Crash
03-14-2012, 08:12 PM
I just figured if push came to shove bring in a guy that knows the system but, that system is gone with BA if you could call his offense a system but again, you guys and your reasoning is correct about Ward. I was comparing the situation to last year and Max Starks.

Max Starks cost himself his job by showing up to camp fat and out of shape. If he wouldn't have gotten fat prior to camp they never cut him. They put up with it twice, after he did it AGAIN? They finally had enough and cut him.

fezziwig
03-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Max Starks cost himself his job by showing up to camp fat and out of shape. If he wouldn't have gotten fat prior to camp they never cut him. They put up with it twice, after he did it AGAIN? They finally had enough and cut him.

Do they expect him to be fat this season too ?

Wallace108
03-14-2012, 10:04 PM
That would suck losing Ward, Wallace, AND Cotchery. We'd go from stacked at receiver to extremely thin.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2012, 12:11 PM

Since he needs to rest following his ACL surgery this offseason rather than be in full-blown workout mode, yeah, probably.

Crash
03-15-2012, 12:30 PM

I don't think they care at this point. He's a UFA and they have (so far) shown no interest in signing him.

DBR96A
03-19-2012, 03:58 AM
Why would Jerricho Cotchery even want to go back to that dumpster fire?

Oviedo
03-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Why would Jerricho Cotchery even want to go back to that dumpster fire?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's easy!!!!

insanesteelersfan
03-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Regardless if we re-sign Wallace, the steelers will select another WR in the draft. Both Sanders and Brown are coming up in free agency. I just hope we get McNutt of Iowa. He has Impressed me the most as it goes to a mid round WR prospect. Also in this age of Receiving TE's in the league, I really like the Green kid from Louisiana-Lafayette. Really tall and fast. Most catches in college the past 3 years.

BO-BO
03-19-2012, 09:25 AM
I thought the Steelers would really try to keep Cotchery. He is a lot like a younger Hines Ward, not afraid to go across the middle and is a physical receiver.