PDA

View Full Version : Hillis

aggiebones
03-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Saw on a rumor mill that Hillis and the Steelers are winking at each other.
How cheaply could we get him? I know he went goofy for a season, but can he get straightened out here and return to some level of dominance on the relative cheap? We can bang he and Redman into the line at a decent clip with a play action offense. Could work nicely. Though we'd need another road grading G as Legs won't be crushing alot of people.

grotonsteel
03-14-2012, 11:24 AM
I thought Hillis was sulking last season because he needed a big contract. Not sure if he will sign cheap.

Crash
03-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Blech. If Hillis wasn't white no one would care about him. I'd rather they look for a multi-talented back who can move and catch passes out of the backfield. Not some plodder.

Iron Shiek
03-14-2012, 11:56 AM
I'd take Tolbert over Hillis...I'd imagine they're competing for similar salaries...

BigRob
03-14-2012, 02:27 PM
This seems to be all smoke and no fire.

www.espncleveland.com

I keep hearing Pittsburgh and New England as potential landing spots for Peyton Hillis. It seems like New Enghttp://www.espncleveland.com/upload/hillis.jpgland is the more likely of the two suitors.

BigRob
03-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Hillis is a Chief per PFT

Mister Pittsburgh
03-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Crash - I Don't agree & find your comment racist.

fezziwig
03-14-2012, 08:08 PM
As much as I like the tough running that Hillis does I don't see the Steelers going after him especially with the teams finacial woes and we pretty much have Redman for that type of get the tough yards.

Crash
03-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Crash - I Don't agree & find your comment racist.

Tell me why I'm wrong? Just like Jason Sehorn. If he wasn't white as a CB he wouldn't have stood out either. Mike Alstott at Tampa when he played? Same thing.

SteelBucks
03-14-2012, 08:12 PM
I'd take Tolbert over Hillis...I'd imagine they're competing for similar salaries...

You might get your wish. Tolbert is practically begging the Steelers to give him a call.

fezziwig
03-14-2012, 08:22 PM
I never gave any thought about Hillis being white. It never seemed that way to me before so I'm going to have to say, Hilis gets the attention because of his performance on the field and not his snowy white smile.

It's funny this topic came up. Today while driving and being white with my black passenger friend we were listening to the radio/news and they were annoucing the local crime. My buddy said after hearing one brodcast, " you know he's black and then the next story he goes, "you know he's white. " We couldn't stop laughing because most likely, he was probably right. I'm sorry if this offends anyone but we couldn't stop laughing.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Tell me why I'm wrong? Just like Jason Sehorn. If he wasn't white as a CB he wouldn't have stood out either. Mike Alstott at Tampa when he played? Same thing.
Hillis had about 100 yds less in about 50 less carries compared to Mendenhalls best season & also had more TD's. Plus he played for the Browns whose passing threat is inferior to the Steelers. To say the only reason anyone cares is because he is white is a racist comment. He averaged 4.4 per carry. Dude was a beast.

Wallace108
03-14-2012, 10:31 PM
I'd prefer to have a real fullback.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-14-2012, 10:46 PM
I'd prefer to have a real fullback.

I am wondering how Owen Schmitt would look in the black & gold.

Wallace108
03-14-2012, 11:13 PM
I am wondering how Owen Schmitt would look in the black & gold.
He's got the right mentality. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgUiLKHAiAI

Crash
03-14-2012, 11:14 PM
I prefer we use our skill and our $100 million QB and quit worrying about playing Bill Cowher football that never won anything with it's beloved fullback.

Wallace108
03-14-2012, 11:22 PM
I prefer we use our skill and our $100 million QB and quit worrying about playing Bill Cowher football that never won anything with it's beloved fullback.

I don't think it has to be either/or when it comes to running and passing. I'd like to see them do both effectively.

Crash
03-15-2012, 12:06 AM
The FB offense in SB XL did nothing. The ONLY decent run Willie Parker had all day? 3 wide and a TE.

The running game for the majority of that post season was nothing, it was passing and defense that won us that ring.

Wallace108
03-15-2012, 12:28 AM
The FB offense in SB XL did nothing. The ONLY decent run Willie Parker had all day? 3 wide and a TE.

The running game for the majority of that post season was nothing, it was passing and defense that won us that ring.
I agree that the defense was key in winning SB XL, but I wouldn't give Ben too much credit. He was 9-of-21 for 123 yards, 0 TDs, and 2 interceptions.

Both Parker and Mendenhall wanted Arians to utilize a fullback.

Willie Parker said Wednesday that the Steelers may need to take a different approach to establishing the run and added that he would welcome an increased role for the fullback in the offense.

"We bring in two tight ends now, without a fullback, and (opposing defenses) know where it's going," Parker said of the Steelers' running game. "I just know when we get in two (tight end sets), it's not very successful. They definitely know where it's going."

Read more: RB Parker targets Steelers' philosophy - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_602428.html#ixzz1p9knPWfd) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_602428.html#ixzz1p9knPWfd

Rashard Mendenhall did anything but lobby for a fullback Wednesday after practice.

But the soft-spoken Steelers' running back said he prefers to have a fullback as a lead blocker instead of a tight end.
His comments were not a knock on Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth, Sean McHugh and David Johnson, all tight ends who line up in the backfield from time to time in Bruce Arians’ offense.
They did shed some light on why running backs generally prefer fullbacks to lead the way for them.
“A fullback in the backfield he can probably see a lot of things a tight end couldn’t,” said Mendenhall, who rushed for 1,108 yards and seven touchdowns in 2009, his second season in the NFL. “(Fullbacks) being ballcarriers they know what you’re trying to do, they know where you’re trying to go and they can get there before you so a lot of times the fullback will end up at the same place after reading a play.”

Read more: http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/05/26/mendenhall-endorses-use-of-a-fullback/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+(View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog) (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/05/26/mendenhall-endorses-use-of-a-fullback/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

I understand what you're saying, and I don't want a return to Cowher Ball either. But we need to have a more effective running game than what we've had in recent years.

Chadman
03-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Interior OL blocking improvement, the return of Willie Colon & a RB group that doesn't dance around so much behind the line- those 3 things will get you an effective running game.

Crash is right- no need to return to the FB driven running game mentality- not when the strengths of the team are in the arm & hands of your passing offense.

But an effective running game is a great compliment.

Crash
03-15-2012, 12:46 AM
I understand what you're saying, and I don't want a return to Cowher Ball either. But we need to have a more effective running game than what we've had in recent years.

Then treat the OL with some urgency instead of as an afterthought.

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2012, 12:53 AM

:Agree if we don't Ben is going to get killed one of these days and we'll never be effective in short-yardage situations or in the red zone.

Wallace108
03-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Interior OL blocking improvement, the return of Willie Colon & a RB group that doesn't dance around so much behind the line- those 3 things will get you an effective running game.

Crash is right- no need to return to the FB driven running game mentality- not when the strengths of the team are in the arm & hands of your passing offense.

You and Crash could very well be right. I'm just going by the words of Parker and Mendy. They both felt the running game would be more effective with a lead blocker. I think there's a mentality that if a team utilizes a fullback, they're going to be running 60 or 65 percent of the time. You can utilize a fullback and still throw.

I think the offense we had under Cowher gets a bad rap. What if during Cowher's tenure, he had the same defense, the same running game, and the same receivers. But instead of having Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomczak, Tommy Maddox, Kent Graham, or a young and inexperienced Roethlisberger, he had Big Ben in his prime? I think the results would have been much different. In my opinion, our offense under Cowher wasn't mediocre because we used a fullback ... it was mediocre because we didn't have a good quarterback.

Wallace108
03-15-2012, 01:22 AM
I think it's a misconception that the Steelers haven't addressed the O-line.

Going back to 2008, here's who they drafted:

Tony Hills, 4th round

Kraig Urbik, 3rd round
A.Q. Shipley, 7th round

Maurkice Pouncey, 1st round
Chris Scott, 5th round

Marcus Gilbert, 2nd round
Keith Williams, 6th round

In the past three drafts, we've taken offensive linemen with either our 1st or 2nd picks (we didn't have a 2nd round pick in 2009 ... Urbik was picked in the 3rd round but was our 2nd pick). The problem (if you want to call it that) is that we tend to draft at the end of the first round. The stud O-linemen are gone by the time we pick, and there's no reason to overreach for lower-round talent in the first round. In this regard, we're a victim of our success. We haven't done so well with our later-round picks, but I don't think it's because of a lack of effort.

Oh, and by the way ... I'm not trying to be antagonistic, Crash. I enjoy the discussion. 429

Oviedo
03-15-2012, 08:11 AM

Totally agree with you Chadman. Three yards and a cloud of dust equals losing football in 2012. Ben is our most importnat players and whether we succeed or fail will depend on him more than any other player. Running games are complementary components to an NFL offense. You need to be able to run in certain situations or "situational football" as Tomlin often says. Our problem is that our offense has been hamstrung by an OL that fails in key areas of "situational football" both in the passing game and running game. No FB is needed to fix that but better offensive linemen are.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2012, 10:18 AM
You might get your wish. Tolbert is practically begging the Steelers to give him a call.

Tolbert is a more well-rounded back than Hillis (and more of a team player, while Hillis has some of that me-first head-case in him). Tolbert runs hard, catches oodles of passes out of the backfield (Haley has a better history of using backs as receivers out of the backfield than Arians ever did), and may not be looking for a huge deal (he's always been a complementary back in a RB-by-committee situation, which is how he would be used here if we managed to get him). He'd be an upgrade on Mewelde Moore for sure, and Redman-Tolbert would be a solid tandem until Mendenhall is able to return.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2012, 10:22 AM
I think it's a misconception that the Steelers haven't addressed the O-line.

Going back to 2008, here's who they drafted:

Tony Hills, 4th round

Kraig Urbik, 3rd round
A.Q. Shipley, 7th round

Maurkice Pouncey, 1st round
Chris Scott, 5th round

Marcus Gilbert, 2nd round
Keith Williams, 6th round

In the past three drafts, we've taken offensive linemen with either our 1st or 2nd picks (we didn't have a 2nd round pick in 2009 ... Urbik was picked in the 3rd round but was our 2nd pick). The problem (if you want to call it that) is that we tend to draft at the end of the first round. The stud O-linemen are gone by the time we pick, and there's no reason to overreach for lower-round talent in the first round. In this regard, we're a victim of our success. We haven't done so well with our later-round picks, but I don't think it's because of a lack of effort.

Oh, and by the way ... I'm not trying to be antagonistic, Crash. I enjoy the discussion. 429

Welcome to our newly updated board, Wallace! How are things going at your new board?

Crash
03-15-2012, 10:27 AM
4 of the 7 players you listed are 4th round or later. They gave up on Urbik after what? One camp?

That's not urgency. That's quantity over quality.

Oviedo
03-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Heard that Hillis went to the Chiefs. Can anyone confrim?

feltdizz
03-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Hills WAS good... not sure if he will ever recapture that magic though...

as far as the OL goes...

Ben and Mend are the ones who needed to show some "urgency" behind the OL that we had last year. The OL "was what it was" last year.... and it won't be much better this year. Once you are outside the tackles... stay outside the tackles instead of cutting back on a play that wasn't going anywhere.

phillyesq
03-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Heard that Hillis went to the Chiefs. Can anyone confrim?

I saw it reported somewhere this morning. One year, $3 million.

Wallace108
03-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Welcome to our newly updated board, Wallace! How are things going at your new board?
Thanks for the welcome back, Ruthless. I'm loving the new Planet. It looks great and has lots of cool features.
If you're referring to SU, I'm no longer there. Me and a few others started our own board about a year ago. I've been really busy with it, and that's why I haven't been around here much (although I do peek in from time to time). But now that the board is pretty much self-contained, I'll be dropping by more frequently. Sucks for you guys. :wink: Seriously though, there's a lot of great people here at Planet, and I enjoy the discussions.

4 of the 7 players you listed are 4th round or later. They gave up on Urbik after what? One camp?

That's not urgency. That's quantity over quality.
I don't disagree that they've struck out a lot with their O-line picks.

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the welcome back, Ruthless. I'm loving the new Planet. It looks great and has lots of cool features.
If you're referring to SU, I'm no longer there. Me and a few others started our own board about a year ago. I've been really busy with it, and that's why I haven't been around here much (although I do peek in from time to time). But now that the board is pretty much self-contained, I'll be dropping by more frequently. Sucks for you guys. :wink: Seriously though, there's a lot of great people here at Planet, and I enjoy the discussions.

I don't disagree that they've struck out a lot with their O-line picks.

what's up Wallace108? it's nice to see you posting here again, you're definitely one of the good guys...:Cheers

Wallace108
03-16-2012, 10:16 AM
what's up Wallace108? it's nice to see you posting here again, you're definitely one of the good guys...:Cheers
I like a person with low standards. 430
Thanks for the kind words, hawaiian. You're a class act. You and others were very accepting of those of us who came here a few years ago after Fever imploded. Other boards didn't respond as kindly as Planet did to a sudden large influx of new members. This truly is a fantastic community.

A final thought on the fullback discussion ...

I understand why a lot of fans don't wanna return to utilizing a fullback. The NFL is turning into a passing league, and we see what other teams are doing. But here's my argument ... over the past several decades, few teams have had as much success and have been as consistent as the Steelers. The reason for that success and consistency, in my opinion, is that they don't follow trends and try to be like anyone else. They do things their way. And I think the success they've had speaks for itself. If anything, a lot of other teams over the years have tried to be like the Steelers.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that they should run 65 percent of the time and have Ben throw only 15 or 20 times per game. I just don't see the need to change the offensive philosophy in order to emulate what other teams are doing. The defense has to change and adapt to what other teams are doing on offense, but what the Steelers do on offense shouldn't be dictated by what other teams are doing on offense.

That's my opinion. And as always, I could be wrong. :wink:

aggiebones
03-16-2012, 03:37 PM
I tend to prefer a back that doesn'tlose yardage when he runs. Many prefer the 'home run' sitters. But they drag down the offense too much. Mendy is GREAT some and downright abizmal at other times. Almost fetal position. As for a black/white issue. I'd like Tolbert too, didn't know he was available. I think he's black but not sure. And I rejoiced when they got rid of the white pretend FB/TB that we had a few years ago. Waste of space.But Hillis was a beast early and never gave up on plays. But those backs often bask themselves out of the league early. I loved Marion Barber3. But he was another one that trashed his body for 4 years and when it was his time to shine, he had nothing left. Redman could suffer a similar fate. But I like him today.

Snatch98
03-16-2012, 05:34 PM
I tend to prefer a back that doesn'tlose yardage when he runs. Many prefer the 'home run' sitters. But they drag down the offense too much. Mendy is GREAT some and downright abizmal at other times. Almost fetal position. As for a black/white issue. I'd like Tolbert too, didn't know he was available. I think he's black but not sure. And I rejoiced when they got rid of the white pretend FB/TB that we had a few years ago. Waste of space.But Hillis was a beast early and never gave up on plays. But those backs often bask themselves out of the league early. I loved Marion Barber3. But he was another one that trashed his body for 4 years and when it was his time to shine, he had nothing left. Redman could suffer a similar fate. But I like him today.

Kuhn? He starts for the Packers and is actually pretty good seeing as he made the Pro Bowl in 2012 for the NFC.

aggiebones
03-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Now you made me go look it up since I didn't want to look that foolish.

Frank Summers. Bleh, glad he's gone.