PDA

View Full Version : Does UFA WR signings make it less likely Wallace gone?

BigRob
03-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Moss signed with the 49'ers. Colston re-signed with the Saints.Your opinion, does it make it more likely that someone takes a look at Wallace? or not?

phillyesq
03-13-2012, 01:14 PM
I think the Moss signing makes it less likely that Wallace leaves. The 49ers, with a need for a deep threat and a late first round pick, were among the bigger threats to sign Wallace.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-13-2012, 01:15 PM
I don't know the answer to your question, but I heard Ryan Clark on NFL Network say that he thinks Wallace will LEAVE the Steelers. Not sure if Clark has actually talked to Wallace about this, though.

BigRob
03-13-2012, 01:40 PM
It's 50/50 to me. Teams are not going to give up a top 20 pick.

Crash
03-13-2012, 01:47 PM
I still think NE will make a play for him.

Field turf, fast track, weak division.

He'd be a slightly less version of Randy Moss 2007 there.

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2012, 02:30 PM
I think the biggest threats to take Wallace in exchange for a late round pick were New England, San Francisco, and Baltimore. Baltimore's money will be used on extensions for Flacco and Rice (likely meaning they won't be able to keep Ben Grubbs this year after signing Yanda to an extension last year)...besides, they are likely still hoping that Torrey Smith turns into their version of Wallace. New England franchised Welker, so I doubt they also fork over a huge contract that we are unable to match and give up a 1st round pick (which I'm sure they'd rather trade for a 2nd rounder and a future 1st from some stupid team like they always seem to do). I'd guess that they'll go after Brandon Lloyd instead, since he'll cost less than Wallace (in money and no draft compensation), plus he's had success under Josh McDaniels in his last 2 NFL stops. The Moss signing by San Fran gives them their deep threat at a reasonable price. All good news for those of us who want to keep Wallace.

hawaiiansteel
03-13-2012, 02:39 PM
I still think NE will make a play for him.

Field turf, fast track, weak division.

He'd be a slightly less version of Randy Moss 2007 there.

I was initially worried about the Pats* signing Wallace to an offer sheet also but I now doubt they would want to invest that much $ into the WR position after franchising Welker.

aggiebones
03-13-2012, 10:14 PM
I think 'some' team at the bottom of the draft will make a 'sturdy' contract offer for Wallace. No teams wants the Steelers to get off scott free with this move that they pulled. Someone will be happy to offer him a legit contract and lose a low 1st rounder for Wallace. But they know the Steelers will match a reasonable offer...but they want to put some pressure on the Steelers. But it might get us out of having to negotiate for him. Someone else will do the work for us. And I don't think it will be back breaking. I think all teams know we are 'willing' to walk away and take a 1st rounder...versus eating a brutal contract. And no team wants Wallace for a brutal contract AND a no.1

Chadman
03-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Chadman reckons the Chargers might be looking for a WR...

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2012, 01:50 AM
I think the Moss signing makes it less likely that Wallace leaves. The 49ers, with a need for a deep threat and a late first round pick, were among the bigger threats to sign Wallace.

:Agree of all teams, I was most afraid of the 49ers signing Wallace away.

SS Laser
03-14-2012, 02:01 AM
I agree with chadman. Chargers are a player now. But would they give up a pick 18 and give big money to Wallace. They did not want to give big enough money to Vincent Jackson. How much less will Wallace want?

The Wallace saga will be interesting.

Snatch98
03-14-2012, 02:32 AM
The chargers signed Robert Meachem

D Rock
03-14-2012, 07:50 AM
The chargers signed Robert Meachem

yep...looks like a 4 yr deal for 25.6 mil

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012WR.php

D Rock
03-14-2012, 07:55 AM
SF is bringing in Brandon LLoyd and Chaz Schillens for visits. Looks like they don't want to pony up for Wallace. Jason Cole is tweeting that with all the WRs signed, the Rams may look to trade for someone.

ramblinjim
03-14-2012, 08:43 AM
We'll take the Rams sixth pick. I for one will assume that Wallace and Steelers will work something out if it is indeed possible.

SteelBucks
03-14-2012, 09:36 AM
I was initially worried about the Pats* signing Wallace to an offer sheet also but I now doubt they would want to invest that much $ into the WR position after franchising Welker.

I still think the Pats may make an offer. Branch and 85 are about done, so I think they will try to improve at WR. Franchising Welker is the only sticking point.

Oviedo
03-14-2012, 10:42 AM
I still think the Pats may make an offer. Branch and 85 are about done, so I think they will try to improve at WR. Franchising Welker is the only sticking point.

Don't be shocked if the Bumgals make a run at him. They have the two Round 1 picks and they have tons of cap space. Plus they would immediately give their fans the thrill of their pathetic lifetimes by sticking it to the Steelers. They are the up and coming team in the AF C North and combining Wallace with AJ Green could put them over the top.

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Don't be shocked if the Bumgals make a run at him. They have the two Round 1 picks and they have tons of cap space. Plus they would immediately give their fans the thrill of their pathetic lifetimes by sticking it to the Steelers. They are the up and coming team in the AF C North and combining Wallace with AJ Green could put them over the top.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/8/16/2366817/rick-reilly-mike-brown-is-cheaper-than-your-local-goodwill

Oviedo
03-14-2012, 02:03 PM
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/8/16/2366817/rick-reilly-mike-brown-is-cheaper-than-your-local-goodwill

He'll have no choice real soon when the CBA provision kicks in (2013 I think) that requires him to spend at least 90% of the cap.

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2012, 02:06 AM
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 14, 2012

Market for Wallace being set

There as a flurry on wide receivers getting new contracts on Tuesday as the free agent period began in the NFL.

But none of the receivers signing deals was named Mike Wallace.

That doesn't mean, however, that it wasn't a big day for Wallace, as the market was set for a receiver of his skills.

Let's take a look at some of the deals that were completed.

Vincent Jackson, who is one strike short of getting a year's suspension, signed a five-year $55 million contract with Tampa Bay.

Washington went crazy - there's a shock - and gave Pierre Garçon $42.5 million for five years and Josh Morgan essentially $6 million per year.

Robert Meachem(!) got $25.9 million for four years from San Diego to replace Jackson.

And just before the free agency period began, New Orleans re-signed Marques Colston to a five-year, $40-million deal.

That's some crazy money being thrown around for a group of receivers, many of whom aren't in Wallace's class.

So what will this mean for the Steelers?

That $9.4 million figure it would have cost them to place the franchise tag on Wallace might have been a bargain.

Then again, with so many teams dipping their toes into the receiver waters, there aren't a lot of teams out there still looking for receivers.

And, as I've said all along, it's one thing to sign a receiver to a big deal. It's another to do so AND give up a first-round pick, which is what a team would have to do to pry Wallace away from the Steelers.

The question is, however, can the Steelers afford to sign Wallace to a long-term deal?

The answer, at least right now, is no. But the salary cap will be increasing in 2013, which is good news considering Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders are going to reach their restricted free agent year following the 2012 season.

posted by Dale Lolley

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/