PDA

View Full Version : Steelers tender Mike Wallace, five others

SteelCrazy
03-12-2012, 08:18 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers assigned restricted free agent tenders to wide receiver
Mike Wallace, cornerback Keenan Lewis, safety Ryan Mundy, tight end David
Johnson, offensive guard Doug Legursky and offensive guard Ramon Foster.

Wallace got the high tender of $2.7 million.

If he signs with
another team, the Steelers have the right to match any offer sheet. If they opt
not to match, then the Steelers would obtain a first-round draft pick as
compensation for losing Wallace.

. A long-term deal is their eventual
goal for Wallace.

The Steelers aren't expected to lose Wallace because
it's a strong receiver market in free agency and the draft is regarded as a good
group of incoming receivers.

For more coverage of the NFL, go to
profootball.scout.com.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-12-2012, 11:57 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers assigned restricted free agent tenders to wide receiver
Mike Wallace, cornerback Keenan Lewis, safety Ryan Mundy, tight end David
Johnson, offensive guard Doug Legursky and offensive guard Ramon Foster ...

Another sign that the apocalypse is upon us ...

Jooser
03-13-2012, 06:28 AM
Eh, DJ will surely get signed by another team (sarcasm). :rolleyes: On the Mike Wallace front, the games begin at 4. Stay tuned folks....

steelblood
03-13-2012, 09:20 AM
I'm surprised that Legs and Foster only got the low tender. The second round tender would have only cost about 700k more for either. Since both were UDFAs, it won't cost anyone a draft pick to take them and all they need to do is offer them more than 1.2 mil (or a second year on that contract). I don't think either is a pro bowl material, but they both have value (especially Legursky who can be serviceable at 3 positions). The Steelers obviously are not as enamored with either player as they claim to be.

phillyesq
03-13-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm surprised that Legs and Foster only got the low tender. The second round tender would have only cost about 700k more for either. Since both were UDFAs, it won't cost anyone a draft pick to take them and all they need to do is offer them more than 1.2 mil (or a second year on that contract). I don't think either is a pro bowl material, but they both have value (especially Legursky who can be serviceable at 3 positions). The Steelers obviously are not as enamored with either player as they claim to be.

The Steelers have the opportunity to match any offer made to Foster or Legursky, and I can't imagine that either would command a significant salary on the open market. There is little risk, and this saves approximately $1.4 in cap space.

Slapstick
03-13-2012, 09:27 AM

I like Legursky and Foster...don't get me wrong...but, what have they done on the field for other teams to pursue them in free agency? What have they done that is special, that could not be replaced by another player or a draft pick?

At any rate, the Steelers have ensured that they will have the option of matching any offer that Legursky or Foster receive...

pittpete
03-13-2012, 11:33 AM
The fact that Legursky can play center is a positive.
Other wise hes been pretty banged up.

Crash
03-13-2012, 12:05 PM
I like Foster more than Legursky but am shocked they didn't 2nd round tender both.

Re-work Harrison and Miller, and go get Carl Nicks and stop dicking around your franchise QB.

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2012, 01:19 PM
I like Foster more than Legursky but am shocked they didn't 2nd round tender both.

Re-work Harrison and Miller, and go get Carl Nicks and stop dicking around your franchise QB.

Nicks will cost a lot more than the immediate cap relief you'd get from restructuring James and Heath. Nicks is on record as saying that he is looking for more than the Saints gave Jahri Evans a couple of seasons ago (seven-year, $56.7 million contract with a $12 million signing bonus).

Crash
03-13-2012, 01:28 PM
So what would his first year cap hit be? When the new TV money kicks in the cap is going to sky-rocket.

They could sign Nicks if they WANTED to. I guess they'd rather turn Ben into Carson Palmer.

steelblood
03-13-2012, 01:29 PM
The Steelers have the opportunity to match any offer made to Foster or Legursky, and I can't imagine that either would command a significant salary on the open market. There is little risk, and this saves approximately $1.4 in cap space.

Legursky could get a deal. He is valuable. 700k more for a sure thing is nothing. Finding another LG/swing backup that knows our offense and can play when Pouncey goes down is not as easy as you may think. It is a risk (not a huge one), but still a risk.

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2012, 01:19 PM

Nicks just signed an insane 5 year $47.5 million dollar contract with $31 million guaranteed.

Crash
03-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Nicks just signed an insane 5 year $47.5 million dollar contract with $31 million guaranteed.

That's what the best OG in the NFL commands. You have to spend on quality OLs.

When you don't? You get stuck with UDFA's starting like we do.

Oviedo
03-14-2012, 01:57 PM

But we have stars like Lugursky and Foster. What else do we need? Unless we get rid of them no Offensive Coord has a chance of success here.

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2012, 02:29 PM

Earlier in this thread, you suggested restructuring Heath and Harrison in order to sign Nicks...my response was that he was looking for WAY too much money for that to be even remotely feasible. This contract he signs confirms that.

Crash
03-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Earlier in this thread, you suggested restructuring Heath and Harrison in order to sign Nicks...my response was that he was looking for WAY too much money for that to be even remotely feasible. This contract he signs confirms that.

In two years Nicks' contract will be a bargain. The price always goes up. Faneca got $20 million guaranteed in 2008. $31 million guaranteed FOUR YEARS LATER isn't that much of a price hike for a guard who is only 26 years old and considered the best at his position.

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2012, 04:08 PM
In two years Nicks' contract will be a bargain. The price always goes up. Faneca got $20 million guaranteed in 2008. $31 million guaranteed FOUR YEARS LATER isn't that much of a price hike for a guard who is only 26 years old and considered the best at his position.

My argument was there was no way that we could afford him. We'll barely be able to afford to bring back Cotchery on our shoestring budget this year, so any thought that we could potentially be a player for the top guard available on the market was pure fantasy.

Crash
03-14-2012, 04:11 PM
My argument was there was no way that we could afford him. We'll barely be able to afford to bring back Cotchery on our shoestring budget this year, so any thought that we could potentially be a player for the top guard available on the market was pure fantasy.

If they want ANYBODY, they can work the cap to get them in. The key is do they WANT to sign someone that costly?

We were allegedly in cap hell last season too. Then they shelled out $139.5 million in contracts for THREE players on defense.

Oviedo
03-14-2012, 04:19 PM
If they want ANYBODY, they can work the cap to get them in. The key is do they WANT to sign someone that costly?

We were allegedly in cap hell last season too. Then they shelled out $139.5 million in contracts for THREE players on defense.

That is part of the problem. We have spent like drunken sailors on the defensive side of the football and now that we need resources on the offense for retaining Wallace and improving the OL they aren't there.

They can restructure but all that does is push things down the road, it doesn't change the fact that we have a very high proportion of our total cap tied up on the defense in a league that is becoming much more offensive oriented. Weren't last years Super Bowl teams ranked near the bottom of the league in defense???? Maybe they know something we don't????

feltdizz
03-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Pats needed a drop in the end zone and a shanked extra point to make the SB. Flacco had 300 on the Pats and drove them to the 5 yard line.

The whole bad D still gets you to a SB is a myth... D wins games.. except when Lebeau and Ike play the worst football known to man.

Crash
03-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Pats needed a drop in the end zone and a shanked extra point to make the SB. Flacco had 300 on the Pats and drove them to the 5 yard line.

The whole bad D still gets you to a SB is a myth... D wins games.. except when Lebeau and Ike play the worst football known to man.

What were the Giants and Pats ranked in defense in 2011?