PDA

View Full Version : Vincent Jackson: Impact on Wallace

phillyesq
03-12-2012, 01:18 PM
According to PFT, the Bears, Bucs and Redskins are all prepared to break the bank for Vincent Jackson. I couldn't help but think that this may impact the Steelers ability to keep Wallace.

I can't imagine the Bucs giving up #5, and the Redskins are absolutely not giving up #2 for Wallace. Would the Bears give up #19 if they strike out on Jackson? And, if so, would you want #19 overall for Wallace?

I'm in favor of keeping Wallace, but most of that consideration has been based on potentially getting a very late first round pick. From #19, I think the Steelers have a very good chance of getting a premium lineman, either from 19 or moving up a few slots. They could then use #24 in a variety of ways -- Hightower, trade down and take a NT, trade down and stockpile future picks, etc.

Thoughts?

Oviedo
03-12-2012, 01:37 PM
i would take the #19 pick in a nonosecond!!!!! Having two Round 1 picks would give us options we hsaven't seen in decades and would allow us to reinvent the roster effected by the recent cuts.

squidkid
03-12-2012, 05:41 PM
gimme any 1st round pick for him and his huge salary demands

Chadman
03-12-2012, 06:13 PM
"Thoughts?"

Fans seem to think Wallace is easily replaced. That without Mendenhall, Ward & Wallace that the Steelers will be able to produce an offense as effective, if not more-so with a small 6th round WR, an oft-injured 3rd round WR & an undrafted RB.

Chadman isn't convinced- even with 'the 19th pick'.

In the end- Chadman expects that wallace will wear Black & Gold despite the wishes of many fans.

steelblood
03-12-2012, 06:34 PM
I won't be thrilled if Wallace is not retained. But, I also do not like wrapping up all that money in a frail, duck footed receiver. I worry he will be injured. These pure speed guys often have short careers.

Chucktownsteeler
03-12-2012, 07:04 PM
I won't lose ant sleep if we get a #1 for Wallace. I think he is a great player, but another #1 could be used to trade down, garner some picks from rounds #2 - #4 and shore up both lines for the next 7 to 9 years. Sanders, Brown, Crotchery, and Miller can get the job done with a little Batch out of the backfield.

C-town

williar
03-12-2012, 07:20 PM
With Wallace, I think we have a great receiving core up there with GB and NYG (with Manningham). Without Wallace, I think our receiving core is average. I don't want an average receiving core. I am quite surprised at how quick some people want to ship out an exciting, proven playmaker on the rise to draft some unknown player that your probably going to have to wait 2 to 4 years for them to develop and pay any dividends. By that time they will be ready to move on.

Chadman
03-12-2012, 07:38 PM
With Wallace, I think we have a great receiving core up there with GB and NYG (with Manningham). Without Wallace, I think our receiving core is average. I don't want an average receiving core. I am quite surprised at how quick some people want to ship out an exciting, proven playmaker on the rise to draft some unknown player that your probably going to have to wait 2 to 4 years for them to develop and pay any dividends. By that time they will be ready to move on.

Completely agree

ikestops85
03-13-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure why so many are so cavalier about the possibility of Mike Wallace leaving. We haven't had a big play guy like Wallace since the days of Swann and Stallworth. There are a lot of very fast wide receivers in this league but the only one who comes close to having the same effect as MW is maybe DeSean Jackson and he is a head case. Just because a guy is fast doens't mean he can make plays. Look at Chad Jackson, a guy I wanted instead of Santonio :oops:, who was extremely fast but isn't even in football anymore. I think Willie Reid was supposed to be a speedster ... what happened to him?

Wallace has the football smarts to use his speed to get open. He knows how to play angles to give Ben a better target. He has pretty good hands and isn't afraid to go over the middle. Can he improve? Certainly, but he is still young and is still learning. I'd love to see him get more aggressive going to the ball when it's in the air. He will draw many more pass interferences when he learns how to do that. He is also one of the hardest workers on the team. The guy has a shot at being a great player and I don't want to lose him.

Oviedo
03-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Many continue to miss the point of many on the Wallace subject. I have heard no one say they WANT Mike Wallace to leave. This discussion falls into two camps:

1. Those who think that the Steelers will resign Wallace, who many believe will want Top 5 WR money to the tune of $7-8M per year.
2. Those who don't think the Steelers will pay $7-8M per year on a WR and after next year we would lose Wallace for nothing but a comp pick in 2014.

Those in "1" are optimistic that the Steelers will do something they have never done for a WR because Wallace is such unique talent. Those in "2" don't think that they will and that getting a #1 to replace Wallace this year is far better than a comp pick in 2014. I think, and include me in this group, that those in "2" do want Wallace to stay but also think it is unlikely that if he does the Steelers will also be able to keep Antonio Brown who most in "2" believe is already a more complete player that Wallace. Because of his return capabilities in addition to his receiving capabilities, one could argue that Brown is actually more valauable.

I think that this really gets down to who do you think brings more total value on game day...Wallace or Brown. No one however has ever said they hope Wallace leaves.

ikestops85
03-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Many continue to miss the point of many on the Wallace subject. I have heard no one say they WANT Mike Wallace to leave. This discussion falls into two camps:1. Those who think that the Steelers will resign Wallace, who many believe will want Top 5 WR money to the tune of $7-8M per year.2. Those who don't think the Steelers will pay $7-8M per year on a WR and after next year we would lose Wallace for nothing but a comp pick in 2014.Those in "1" are optimistic that the Steelers will do something they have never done for a WR because Wallace is such unique talent. Those in "2" don't think that they will and that getting a #1 to replace Wallace this year is far better than a comp pick in 2014. I think, and include me in this group, that those in "2" do want Wallace to stay but also think it is unlikely that if he does the Steelers will also be able to keep Antonio Brown who most in "2" believe is already a more complete player that Wallace. Because of his return capabilities in addition to his receiving capabilities, one could argue that Brown is actually more valauable.I think that this really gets down to who do you think brings more total value on game day...Wallace or Brown. No one however has ever said they hope Wallace leaves.I think you are wrong about that. Many have said they would rather have the extra first rounder instead of Mike Wallace. If my boring conference call continues to drone on I will look for some examples. :p

Chadman
03-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Conversely Ovi, the "1" group has been trying to point out that Brown only achieved his success once Wallace started drawing the extra coverage, opening up the field. Without Wallace, Brown isn't as effective as his 2011 form. In fact- no Steeler WR will be until they can find another way to replace a Mike Wallace.

Is Wallace worth the money, as an individual player? Probably not. But when you combine his ability to open the field for the other guys to the abilities of the other WR's on the roster, he's worth the money.

Chadman has seen the argument that Wallace isn't "in Fitz/Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson" class. Yet his stats will show that he has been just as effective in his first 3 years- more so in fact- than nearly all your supposed "Top 5" WR's. Is he as complete? No, not at all.

But he's just as dangerous.

Slapstick
03-13-2012, 10:40 AM
If Antonio Brown starts the year as the flanker, I don't think he will continue to return punts and kicks as frequently...

grotonsteel
03-13-2012, 10:43 AM
1. Those who think that the Steelers will resign Wallace, who many believe will want Top 5 WR money to the tune of $7-8M per year.
2. Those who don't think the Steelers will pay $7-8M per year on a WR and after next year we would lose Wallace for nothing but a comp pick in 2014.

6-8 million dollar for Mike Wallace would be a good deal for Steelers. I hope Steelers sign him long term if Mike Wallace asking price is in 6-8 million dollars/yr range.

Slapstick
03-13-2012, 10:43 AM
I heard the same argument with Ward and Burress...

After Burress was gone, Ward was still good...I believe it will be the same with Brown...

ikestops85
03-13-2012, 10:44 AM
If Antonio Brown starts the year as the flanker, I don't think he will continue to return punts and kicks as frequently...

You are correct. They already talked to Sanders about returning punts and kicks. They will probably only put Antonio back there in special situations ... much like they used to do with Woodson.

Shawn
03-13-2012, 10:49 AM
I won't be thrilled if Wallace is not retained. But, I also do not like wrapping up all that money in a frail, duck footed receiver. I worry he will be injured. These pure speed guys often have short careers.

And that is where I am with all of this...we have several issues.

1) The amount of money MW will demand.
2) He is a pure speed guy, average hands, average route running but stupid speed. Those guys usually have very short careers unless they can learn to do other things well.
3) Next season we may lose him anyhow with no compensation. The Steelers will not pay him like a top 5 WR.

So, I will be doing flips if we can get a top 20 pick for Wallace. I believe Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery can be very effective.

With all of that said, if Wallace is willing to sign a reasonable contract...top 15 money this would be my preference. I just don't want to break the bank on him, and I don't want to lose him without significant compensation.

feltdizz
03-13-2012, 10:56 AM
I heard the same argument with Ward and Burress...

After Burress was gone, Ward was still good...I believe it will be the same with Brown...

We always hear that argument.... we were predicted to go 0-4 once they suspended Ben, our running game would suffer without Aaron Smith... losing Burress and Holmes would expose us...

Chadman
03-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Chadman hopes this remains a theoretical debate for years to come...

williar
03-13-2012, 11:31 AM
I understand that fans want to maintain optimism in the case that we lose Wallace. I look at like this, Wallace is probably the ONLY player on our offense that puts any fear in defenses. I don't care if he is a one trick pony. Defenses are still going to respect that trick. Our receiving core without the threat of Wallace isn't going to scare anybody. Sanders is an injury waiting to happen. Miller is as slow and unathletic as a professional athlete can be and no one knows how Brown will emerge as a #1 receiver. Cotchery isn't the most durable either and he's only proven to be serviceable. Good luck with that.

Slapstick
03-13-2012, 12:18 PM
I understand that fans want to maintain optimism in the case that we lose Wallace. I look at like this, Wallace is probably the ONLY player on our offense that puts any fear in defenses. I don't care if he is a one trick pony. Defenses are still going to respect that trick. Our receiving core without the threat of Wallace isn't going to scare anybody. Sanders is an injury waiting to happen. Miller is as slow and unathletic as a professional athlete can be and no one knows how Brown will emerge as a #1 receiver. Cotchery isn't the most durable either and he's only proven to be serviceable. Good luck with that.

While I can see your point, I have to disagree somewhat...

While teams may fear Wallace, what good does that do unless he catches the ball? And, please don't try to tell me that the only reason Brown was good is because teams were paying attention to Wallace...I heard the same arguments about Hines Ward after Plaxico went to NY...in the 5 years after Burress left, Ward averaged nearly 1,000 yards and 7 TDs per year...if Brown had success, it was because he's good...

While it's a nice luxury to have a player that threatens a defense, it's better to have players who execute consistently when called upon...while you may believe Heath Miller to be slow and unathletic somehow, he's a player who consistently steps up and delivers when his number is called...hopefully, with Todd Haley on record as a big fan of Miller, his number will be called more...

Oviedo
03-13-2012, 12:33 PM
6-8 million dollar for Mike Wallace would be a good deal for Steelers. I hope Steelers sign him long term if Mike Wallace asking price is in 6-8 million dollars/yr range.

If you think that is a good deal, then what are you willing to pay Antonio Brown next season when he has another great season as both a receiver and returner. I'm pretty sure if his success of 2011 continues he will have a strong case to make at least as much as Wallace because he can do more.

My point is that $6-8M is a whole bunch of money to pay someone to draw coverage if he can't consistently beat the double coverage. The last half of last year showed he gets respectby drawing coverage but can any team afford to pay a decoy $6-8M?

williar
03-13-2012, 12:47 PM

While teams may fear Wallace, what good does that do unless he catches the ball? And, please don't try to tell me that the only reason Brown was good is because teams were paying attention to Wallace...I heard the same arguments about Hines Ward after Plaxico went to NY...in the 5 years after Burress left, Ward averaged nearly 1,000 yards and 7 TDs per year...if Brown had success, it was because he's good...

While it's a nice luxury to have a player that threatens a defense, it's better to have players who execute consistently when called upon...while you may believe Heath Miller to be slow and unathletic somehow, he's a player who consistently steps up and delivers when his number is called...hopefully, with Todd Haley on record as a big fan of Miller, his number will be called more...

Why do some of you think that Wallace can't catch the ball? I know he's dropped a few, what receiver hasn't. Jerry Rice dropped balls. I've seen enough of Mike Wallace to know that he is a reliable playmaker and only will get better as he and Ben get better timing. If we're fortunate enough to hold onto Wallace for another season, with Todd Haley running the offensive show(thank GOD!) and a full plethora of off season activities, I believe your going to see a much better, more polished version of Mike Wallace.

Chadman
03-13-2012, 12:52 PM
The Plaxico leaving comparison is slightly skewed- when Plax & Ward were #1 & #2 WR's in pittsburgh- the focus on the Offense was on running the ball. The impact of losing Burress was not felt so badly because the Steelers didn't focus on using the passing game as much.

The same cannot be said for the Pittsburgh Steelers of 2011.

ikestops85
03-13-2012, 12:53 PM

Why do you think Wallace doesn't catch the ball? I think his hands are as good as Santonio when he was here and they are as good as AB's are. I don't know why people don't consider Wallace a top flight receiver. I guess I should say I don't know why Steeler fans don't consider Wallace a top flight receiver. Fans from other teams certainly think he is a top 10 receiver.

No, he doesn't have the hands of a Fitz or the physicality of both Johnsons (Andre and Calvin) but he does get open and when he catches the ball he can take it to the house. A lot is being made of his drop off in production the second half of last season but I think much of that had to do with Ben and his injuries. Look at the game Batch started and Wallace was back with 4 catches for over 80 yards. A nice average of 20 ypc.

I'm not going to say that Wallace made AB better. I think they both made each other better and each on his own merits are good receivers. They complement each other well. I've yet to hear Wallace say he wants top 5 money as a receiver so as long as he doesn't want us to break the bank it is a no brainer for us to sign him long term.

phillyesq
03-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Many continue to miss the point of many on the Wallace subject. I have heard no one say they WANT Mike Wallace to leave. This discussion falls into two camps:

Those in "1" are optimistic that the Steelers will do something they have never done for a WR because Wallace is such unique talent. Those in "2" don't think that they will and that getting a #1 to replace Wallace this year is far better than a comp pick in 2014. I think, and include me in this group, that those in "2" do want Wallace to stay but also think it is unlikely that if he does the Steelers will also be able to keep Antonio Brown who most in "2" believe is already a more complete player that Wallace. Because of his return capabilities in addition to his receiving capabilities, one could argue that Brown is actually more valauable.

I think that this really gets down to who do you think brings more total value on game day...Wallace or Brown. No one however has ever said they hope Wallace leaves.

As I mentioned on the other thread, there is a third option. Wallace plays this year on a tender and next on a tag. That's approximately $12 million for 2 years and keeps a top weapon on the offense. After that, maybe Wallce walks and the Steelers get a third round comp pick. Or maybe he is resigned long term. Even if he is tagged next year, he can still be traded.

If you can get a moderately high pick in the draft, I think you can consider letting Wallace leave. I'm less interested in a late first rounder. Would you let Wallace go for Ziggy Hood? I wouldn't.

Oviedo
03-13-2012, 01:41 PM
As I mentioned on the other thread, there is a third option. Wallace plays this year on a tender and next on a tag. That's approximately $12 million for 2 years and keeps a top weapon on the offense. After that, maybe Wallce walks and the Steelers get a third round comp pick. Or maybe he is resigned long term. Even if he is tagged next year, he can still be traded.

If you can get a moderately high pick in the draft, I think you can consider letting Wallace leave. I'm less interested in a late first rounder. Would you let Wallace go for Ziggy Hood? I wouldn't.

For Ziggy alone...No. However, for Ziggy and another first round draft pick...ummmmmmm. Got to think about that one if I think I can't keep him long term.

Let me ask you this: Do you keep Wallace and risk losing Brown?

williar
03-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Forgive me if I offend anyone, but I think that part of the reason many fans are so slanted toward WR's in general is that pervasive blue collar/pick up truck mentality that a lot of steeler fans have. I mean, it was the same way with Santonio, Plaxico, Nate Washington etc.. and now Wallace. A lot of fans have no use for WR's no matter how good they are. It's like, why do I need a ferrari when I can get there just the same with my blue, beat up truck with the hatch on the back.....Like, Wallace is too sleak and flashy to be a real steeler... His game does not represent "steeler football". Get rid of him so we can go out and draft a bunch of guards so we can protect Ben :rolleyes:

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2012, 01:55 PM
I won't be happy if Wallace leaves (well, if someone like Minnesota feels the need for a deep threat and gives us the #3 pick, then I'll relent and accept Matt Kalil for Mike Wallace, but otherwise, I'd prefer to keep him). Some may consider Antonio Brown to be more "complete" than Wallace, but it is easier to replace that level of "complete" receiver than a guy who is truly elite in a particularly valuable aspect of football (deep speed to make big play TD catches). To say that Brown is more valuable because of the added dimension of return ability, that may have been true for this past season (hence the team MVP vote for Brown), but now that he is a full time starter, the team will not risk him on special teams on a regular basis (likely only special occassions, few and far between). I believe that this front office will be able to figure out a way to keep Wallace, Brown, and Pouncey on long-term deals within the next few seasons...have faith in the magic of Colbert & Khan...they have never lost a young, talented player that they truly wanted to keep.

That being said, Chadman's original post asked about what we could do if we got the #19 pick from Chicago, so I'll indulge with an idea (even though my ultimate preference would be keep Wallace). My sig indicates that I'd be willing to sacrifice our 2nd round pick to move up from #24 to get DeCastro. Well, with the #19 pick, the possibility could exist for us to keep that valuable 2nd round pick and use our 3rd round pick to move up from #19 to get DeCastro. Then we could possibly trade back from #24 to recoup the lost 3rd round pick in the DeCastro trade (actually getting a higher 3rd round pick than our original 3rd). We could possibly trade back with, say, Jacksonville, giving up our #24 pick in exchange for their 2nd and 3rd round picks. With Jacksonville's early 2nd rounder, take South Carolina WR Alshon Jeffery (since we now have a hole at wideout after losing Wallace). He's a different player than Wallace certainly and provides something that none of our other receivers offer (rather than a burner, you'd get a big-bodied guy who will fight for the ball and will be able to come down with fade passes for TD's while in the red zone). Then with our own 2nd round pick, take our NT of the future with Alameda Ta'Amu. And with our 3rd round pick from Jacksonville, we can upgrade our o-line even further with our RG of the future, Brandon Brooks from Miami of Ohio.

All told, that would give us a two-day haul of:

1.16 OG David DeCastro
2.38 WR Alshon Jeffery
2.56 NT Alameda Ta'Amu
3.71 OG Brandon Brooks

Our o-line of the future would be Gilbert-DeCastro-Pouncey-Brooks-Colon.
Our d-line of the future would be Heyward-Ta'Amu-Hood.
Our wideouts of the future would be Brown-Jeffery-Sanders-Cotchery.

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Let me ask you this: Do you keep Wallace and risk losing Brown?

Yes, that is a risk that I would be willing to take (although I would bet that Colbert and Khan would be able to work out something to keep both of them).

Oviedo
03-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Forgive me if I offend anyone, but I think that part of the reason many fans are so slanted toward WR's in general is that pervasive blue collar/pick up truck mentality that a lot of steeler fans have. I mean, it was the same way with Santonio, Plaxico, Nate Washington etc.. and now Wallace. A lot of fans have no use for WR's no matter how good they are. It's like, why do I need a ferrari when I can get there just the same with my blue, beat up truck with the hatch on the back.....Like, Wallace is too sleak and flashy to be a real steeler... His game does not represent "steeler football". Get rid of him so we can go out and draft a bunch of guards so we can protect Ben :rolleyes:

Some points but I think you miss the essence of the debate. Allow me to use a baseball analogy since it is the right time of the year.

Who do you want? Willie Stargell (Wallace) or Roberto Clemente (Antonio Brown)? Do you prefer the good power hitter who gets you a home run very 10-12 times up and gets intentional walks in critical situations or the "Five- tool" outfielder who is consistent and gives you some homeruns but gets you high BA, lots of doubles, Stolen bases and plays Gold Glove in the field.

Obviously a great team has both and they are complementary (situation we have now) however it is not always possible to keep both because of free agency (situation we may have). My preference would be Roberto, however some prefer the "spash" occasionally to the routine but steady.

feltdizz
03-13-2012, 03:08 PM
both of you have good points... I think Steeler fans do value the blue collar WR over the flashy guy. It's the reason Ward is a fan favorite. Not fast, not big, not the ideal WR but he laid people out and worked his butt off.

People see Wallace and love the big gains but aren't fans of the "if it ain't perfect, it ain't gettin caught... knock him over with a gust of wind" style of Wallace.

If Wallace would draw a freaking PI flag or go up and snatch the ball out of the air one time.. just once, I think he would become the most loved Steeler WR of all time. I know that's not his game but after watching Ward, Stallworth and Swann I think Steeler fans don't trust Wallace yet. All 3 of those WR's would take a crushing hit to catch the football or make sure the defender doesn't intercept it... but Wallace is the type of WR who will leave Ben out to dry on a pass that isn't perfect.

Everytime we go deep and I see Wallace with a step I know it's a TD... but anytime I see us go deep and the DB is on Wallace I know for a fact he isn't coming down with it. Once he shows Steeler fans he can catch the ball in tight spaces and won't hang Ben out to dry I think more Steeler fans will be in his corner.

That being said.. I don't think fans want Wallace to get snatched up but if he does, the attitude is "oh well, at least we got a 1st for him"

Slapstick
03-13-2012, 03:17 PM
So, who has said that they don't want Wallace?

I would love to have Mike Wallace in a black helmet for a long time...but, only if he's going to catch the ball...

If he's going to drop passes that hit him in the breadbasket, we can get Limas Sweed back for that...

What I'm hoping is that the Mike Wallace of the 2nd half of the 2011 season is not the Mike Wallace for whom the Steelers will be backing up the Brinks truck...

If opposing defenses have figured out how to defend him and he is unwilling/unable to adjust...:(

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2012, 03:39 PM
It's not as if the only catches that he ever makes are when a defender is 5-10 yards behind him...

http://steelerstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Mike-Wallace2.jpg

D Rock
03-13-2012, 03:42 PM
I hope he plays for the Steelers in 2012 and the offense doesn't focus on him a whole lot but does awesome with great balance and the way to winning the Super Bowl. Then he signs a 6 year deal next offseason relatively cheaply...and then the offense EXPLODES and he becomes the best WR to ever play the game.

Or he just signs a fair market long term deal this offseason. I'll take either.

Oviedo
03-13-2012, 03:55 PM
I won't be happy if Wallace leaves (well, if someone like Minnesota feels the need for a deep threat and gives us the #3 pick, then I'll relent and accept Matt Kalil for Mike Wallace, but otherwise, I'd prefer to keep him). Some may consider Antonio Brown to be more "complete" than Wallace, but it is easier to replace that level of "complete" receiver than a guy who is truly elite in a particularly valuable aspect of football (deep speed to make big play TD catches). To say that Brown is more valuable because of the added dimension of return ability, that may have been true for this past season (hence the team MVP vote for Brown), but now that he is a full time starter, the team will not risk him on special teams on a regular basis (likely only special occassions, few and far between). I believe that this front office will be able to figure out a way to keep Wallace, Brown, and Pouncey on long-term deals within the next few seasons...have faith in the magic of Colbert & Khan...they have never lost a young, talented player that they truly wanted to keep.

That being said, Chadman's original post asked about what we could do if we got the #19 pick from Chicago, so I'll indulge with an idea (even though my ultimate preference would be keep Wallace). My sig indicates that I'd be willing to sacrifice our 2nd round pick to move up from #24 to get DeCastro. Well, with the #19 pick, the possibility could exist for us to keep that valuable 2nd round pick and use our 3rd round pick to move up from #19 to get DeCastro. Then we could possibly trade back from #24 to recoup the lost 3rd round pick in the DeCastro trade (actually getting a higher 3rd round pick than our original 3rd). We could possibly trade back with, say, Jacksonville, giving up our #24 pick in exchange for their 2nd and 3rd round picks. With Jacksonville's early 2nd rounder, take South Carolina WR Alshon Jeffery (since we now have a hole at wideout after losing Wallace). He's a different player than Wallace certainly and provides something that none of our other receivers offer (rather than a burner, you'd get a big-bodied guy who will fight for the ball and will be able to come down with fade passes for TD's while in the red zone). Then with our own 2nd round pick, take our NT of the future with Alameda Ta'Amu. And with our 3rd round pick from Jacksonville, we can upgrade our o-line even further with our RG of the future, Brandon Brooks from Miami of Ohio.

All told, that would give us a two-day haul of:

1.16 OG David DeCastro
2.38 WR Alshon Jeffery
2.56 NT Alameda Ta'Amu
3.71 OG Brandon Brooks

Our o-line of the future would be Gilbert-DeCastro-Pouncey-Brooks-Colon.
Our d-line of the future would be Heyward-Ta'Amu-Hood.
Our wideouts of the future would be Brown-Jeffery-Sanders-Cotchery.

That would truly be an awesome two day haul that would really accelerate our youth movement.

Crash
03-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Vincent Jackson deal in Tampa: 5 yrs, $55.55 million, including $26 million guaranteed

Lebsteel
03-13-2012, 09:10 PM
It's not as if the only catches that he ever makes are when a defender is 5-10 yards behind him...

http://steelerstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Mike-Wallace2.jpg
Whatever happened to THAT Mike Wallace?

NJ-STEELER
03-13-2012, 09:19 PM
so we're ready to base our passing offense around a guy who started 4 games? couldnt beat out and old and done ward for the first 12 games.

i like AB as much as the next guy, i just dont get why everyone is crowning as the next great Wr with his small sample size

21st in scoring last year. wally having more TDs in his "2nd half dive" then AB all year and now if wallace is gone that extra attention goes to Brown. cant wait to see the monday morning b!tching about the offense this year

NJ-STEELER
03-13-2012, 09:26 PM
why is there doubt whether wallace can stay healthy? he's done it the last 2 years. starting 16 games in each (IIRC).

what we dont know is if a smaller player in AB can stay healthy for a full season. especially if he's going to play the slot and be faced with getting hit by bigger defenders all the time

Chadman
03-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Chadman has said it before & been critisized, but...

Wallace's first 3 years in the NFL compare very favourably with the likes of Andre & Calvin Johnson & Fitz...

grotonsteel
03-13-2012, 09:33 PM
why is there doubt whether wallace can stay healthy? he's done it the last 2 years. starting 16 games in each (IIRC).

what we dont know is if a smaller player in AB can stay healthy for a full season. especially if he's going to play the slot and be faced with getting hit by bigger defenders all the time

I am not a big fan of Mike Wallace because of his play in 2nd half of last year and also in SB but looking at MW stats its still one of the best in the league. I also think he helps AB a lot.

With current FA WR signing 9-10 million/yr would be great signing.

williar
03-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Wow! Jackson got a TON of money.. I guess it ain't looking for MW in the B&G.

Oviedo
03-14-2012, 08:02 AM
I am not a big fan of Mike Wallace because of his play in 2nd half of last year and also in SB but looking at MW stats its still one of the best in the league. I also think he helps AB a lot.

With current FA WR signing 9-10 million/yr would be great signing.

The only problem is that we don't have $9-10M per year to give him until 2014 when the cap is projected to jump significantly. As good as the front office and Omar Kahn are they can't make 1 equal 10. Math is a pretty precise discipline.

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2012, 12:19 PM
The only problem is that we don't have $9-10M per year to give him until 2014 when the cap is projected to jump significantly. As good as the front office and Omar Kahn are they can't make 1 equal 10. Math is a pretty precise discipline.

Yes, they can. A large signing bonus (which is spread evenly over each year of the deal), with veteran minimum salaries for the first couple of seasons gets it done. If he gets a $20 million signing bonus on a 5 year contract, his cap hit would be $4,685,000 if we give him a veteran minimum salary of $685,000 in the first year (his cap hit is already $2,700,000 with the RFA tender, so it's not a monumental increase). His base salaries would have to be much more than that in later years, but the increase in salary cap should be able to handle that.

D Rock
03-14-2012, 12:24 PM

yeah, but cap math is not.