PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Rod Woodson Questions Todd Haley Hiring by Steelers

hawaiiansteel
03-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Ed: Woodson Questions Haley Hiring by Steelers (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115288-ed-woodson-questions-haley-hiring-by-steelers)

FRIDAY, 09 MARCH 2012 17:43
WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTEhttp://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/templates/pg_twn/images/emailButton.png (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=6eea1d9bb0a95fff52abe855213f7c3bcd06df48)

Just received this item from the NFL Network on a Rod Woodson interview in which he questioned why the Steelers would hire Todd Haley as their offensive coordinator:

Former Steelers safety Rod Woodson appeared on The Rich Eisen Podcast this week which aired on NFL Network and is available for download on NFL.com and iTunes. Woodson spoke about the relationship between Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and new offensive coordinator Todd Haley. Here is a link to the podcast and his comments on Roethlisberger and Haley:

On the relationship between Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and offensive coordinator Todd Haley:

Woodson: “It’s a little interesting to see what happens because Bruce [Arians] and Ben [Roethlisberger] had a great relationship. Todd, he hasn’t had a great relationship with anybody ever. It just seems like he doesn’t have a great relationship with anybody that I know. That’s what is a little confusing because the one thing that’s always worked in Pittsburgh is that the coaches and the players always had great relationships. That’s one of the main reasons they won for so many years. This is the first time going into it where on the offensive side you’re questioning the relationship between your new offensive coordinator – which Ben didn’t really want – and your star quarterback. I’m a little confused about why they would do something like that because it seems like that goes against everything that they are in Pittsburgh in that organization – family, caring for each other, everything is working in one harmony and one unit. This year it’s not, so it’s going to be interesting to see what happens.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115288-ed-woodson-questions-haley-hiring-by-steelers

Eich
03-12-2012, 08:46 AM
I see Rod's point BUT I don't think the Steelers coach-player relationship has ALWAYS been, "family, caring for each other, everything is working in one harmony and one unit". Bradshaw and Noll didn't exactly have a caring relationship. Neither did Whiz and Ben.

That said, I hope that Haley isn't the across-the-board A-hole that people have made him out to be.

Oviedo
03-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Woodson's recent history has to come out and criticize the Steelers about something because he knows it gets more run because he is a former Steeler.

As far as I'm concerned I could care less about what others think about Haley in the past. I only care about Haley in the future and what he does to improve the offense. I could care less iif he is buddy-buddy with "the guys" as long as he gets them to perform. The so called "great relationship" that Arians had with Ben was part of the problem. ben was never forced to evolve or get out of his comfort zone. I hope that happens now and if it cause Ben a little discomfort that is probably a good thing.

pfelix73
03-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Well, Haley sort of is 'family'. He's a Pittsburgher and grew up in the organization. People make mistakes and can change. If Haley had bad relationships in the past- that's the past. I'm glad they are giving the guy a chance. This is his dream job, and I doubt he'll screw that up.

:tt2

Ghost
03-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Rod's been away from the Steelers a good bit of time to know what's really happening inside the organization. And he's wrong - Kurt Warner spoke highly of Haley and said he enjoyed working with him. Yeah he yelled, but KW said there was never a question that it wasn't in an effort to get the very best out of the payers and the team. I care very little what Rod thinks of this hire.

Crash
03-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Rod doesn't know anything about the Steelers unless they give him a free meal and he flies in for some function.

feltdizz
03-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Maybe Haley has a rocky past because he has a Steel City roughness to him? LOL...

Snatch98
03-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Kurt Warner didn't and doesn't have a problem with him. Neither did Larry Fitzgerald and for me Fitz is one of the few "be all end all" pros in the National Football league. Coaches aren't supposed to be your "friends" they're supposed to be your coaches. I think Haley is EXACTLY what Ben needs and exactly what this offense needs. If you're working hard, playing hard and contributing to the win column I don't think you're going to have a problem with Haley. He expects more from everyone from what I've read, give him more or show you're trying. Potential problem solved.

Dee Dub
03-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Rod Woodson knows what I have been saying from the beginning. Todd Haley never played a down of any type of football...and that is probably where the..."It just seems like he doesn't have a great relationship with anybody that I know" quote comes from.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Rod Woodson knows what I have been saying from the beginning. Todd Haley never played a down of any type of football...and that is probably where the..."It just seems like he doesn't have a great relationship with anybody that I know" quote comes from.
Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald played under Haley as a coach; both of them thought he was just fine. Rod Woodson and Dee Dub have never played under him, and don't think he will do a good job. Hmmm....on this matter, I think I'm inclined to give a little more weight to the opinion of the first two.:D

Dee Dub
03-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald played under Haley as a coach; both of them thought he was just fine. Rod Woodson and Dee Dub have never played under him, and don't think he will do a good job. Hmmm....on this matter, I think I'm inclined to give a little more weight to the opinion of the first two.:D

I have never said Haley wont do a good job. Where did you get that from? I am just stating fact. This is not my opinion. I have not given an opinion on him as a coordinator. My guess is he will do well. How could he not? He has one of the best QB in the NFL now.