PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith Thank You to Fans

phillyesq
03-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Aaron Smith ran this ad in the PG today:

Dear Steelers Fans,

As of today, I am no longer a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I leave the field and Steelers with no regrets, and am grateful to have played for such a tremendous organization. I feel truly blessed to have spent my entire professional career in the best town, playing for the most loyal fans who have loved and supported myself and my family.
The last 13 years of our lives have been special because of the people who cheered me on, and I am truly fortunate to have been a part of the Steelers, the City of Pittsburgh and the Steelers Nation. You have opened your arms and your hearts to us as a family and we will never forget that. Your support, enthusiasm, love and dedication are gifts I will carry with me my entire life.
I may no longer be on the Steelers active roster, but I will always be a Steeler and will never forget the people who made it all worthwhile -- the fans, the Rooneys, the front office, the equipment guys and trainers, my teammates and family. Thank you for supporting me over the last 13 years, and I hope you will support me in whatever future path life will take me on.
We plan on making Pittsburgh our home and I will endeavor for the rest of my days to find a way to thank each and every one of you personally for all that you have done and meant for me and my family. You cheered for me for 13 years and now I cheer for you for the rest of my life. You will always be in my heart, thoughts and prayers. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to have the job of a lifetime. You will always be in my heart.
Your friend always,
Aaron Smith and Family, No. 91

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12071/1215923-66.stm?cmpid=MOSTEMAILEDBOX#ixzz1oqLwBMWp

Crash
03-11-2012, 05:17 PM
The former Leader of the Wideouts should learn from Smith's (and before him Alan Faneca's) example.

Djfan
03-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Class. This guy just gets it. Too bad some guys can't play forever.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Aaron Smith--the feeling is mutual. "Class" is exactly the right word. Don't think he'll make the Hall of Fame in Canton, but he will forever be etched in my hall of fame. :tt2:tt2:tt2:tt2:tt2

pittpete
03-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Wow, thats how you go out..
What a class act.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-11-2012, 06:16 PM
gotta admit, gave me goosebumps when I read it.

that guy was special.

Jooser
03-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Love that, thanks Mr. Smith.

:tt2

hawaiiansteel
03-11-2012, 08:46 PM
What a class act.

:Agree Aaron Smith will always be one of my favorite all-time Steelers.

fordfixer
03-12-2012, 01:18 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-presents/09000d5d81c108fb/Aaron-Smith-Emerging-from-the-shadows

Oviedo
03-12-2012, 07:57 AM
The former Leader of the Wideouts should learn from Smith's (and before him Alan Faneca's) example.

Totally agree. Hines would be making a huge mistake being one of those "hanger ons"

Oviedo
03-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Class. This guy just gets it. Too bad some guys can't play forever.

You hit it right on the head "he gets it." He knows he has been blessed and you can tell he truly appreciates everything he has been given. Love that he is staying in the city to raise his family.

IMO he will show up in some capacity with the organization after maybe taking a year off to relax.

phillyesq
03-12-2012, 09:06 AM
You hit it right on the head "he gets it." He knows he has been blessed and you can tell he truly appreciates everything he has been given. Love that he is staying in the city to raise his family.

IMO he will show up in some capacity with the organization after maybe taking a year off to relax.

I hope you are right. I'd love to see him come back as a coach or in some other capacity.

feltdizz
03-12-2012, 09:14 AM

not trying to thug up the love but Aaron Smith played 16 games the last 3 seasons... what exactly did he "get" and why didn't he "get it" 2 years ago?

I only ask because you implied Hines shouldn't continue to "hang on"...

..and I would love to see Smith as a coach... he should have transitioned to coaching 2 years ago.

Oviedo
03-12-2012, 09:23 AM
not trying to thug up the love but Aaron Smith played 16 games the last 3 seasons... what exactly did he "get" and why didn't he "get it" 2 years ago?

I only ask because you implied Hines shouldn't continue to "hang on"...

..and I would love to see Smith as a coach... he should have transitioned to coaching 2 years ago.

Smith was always a starter going into to every one of the last three seasons ebacause skill wise he was the undisputed best at DE for us, but it was injuries that took him out of the line up. Hines lost his starting role and was far from the best even when healthy last year. It is very unlikely that he would be anything more than a #3 on any team that picks him up. IMO that is the difference.

If Hines really wants to play that is totally on him but it was just much classier the way Smith did it.

SteelBucks
03-12-2012, 09:54 AM
What a class act.

Alan Fanaca did the same a few years ago. Fanaca didn't go out on the best of terms with management but it was still a nice gesture to the fans.

Thank you Aaron Smith for 13 great years! :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
03-12-2012, 12:23 PM
:Clap

Hopefully the Rooneys have already begun constructing lockers for Smith, Farrior, and Ward to be placed in the Walk of Fame in the Great Hall at Heinz Field this season.

:tt2

feltdizz
03-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Smith was always a starter going into to every one of the last three seasons ebacause skill wise he was the undisputed best at DE for us, but it was injuries that took him out of the line up. Hines lost his starting role and was far from the best even when healthy last year. It is very unlikely that he would be anything more than a #3 on any team that picks him up. IMO that is the difference.

If Hines really wants to play that is totally on him but it was just much classier the way Smith did it.

I'm going to do the classy thing and let Smith have his due in this thread...