PDA

View Full Version : Glazer: Rams, Redskins strike deal for No. 2 pick

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2012, 01:24 AM
Glazer: Rams, Redskins strike deal for No. 2 pick

Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/robert-griffin-iii-baylor.jpg?w=250

The Dolphins would be wise to offer Peyton Manning (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1493/peyton-manning) more money, because their Plan B has now evaporated.

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that the Rams and the Redskins have agreed to terms on a deal that will send the second overall pick in the 2012 draft to Washington (http://www.twitlonger.com/show/gbhvr8). The Redskins undoubtedly will pick quarterbackRobert Griffin III (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7406/robert-griffin-iii). (Or, at the very worst,Andrew Luck (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6439/andrew-luck).)

Glazer says that the teams will swap first-round picks in 2012, with St. Louis taking the No. 6 pick. The Rams also get two future first-round picks and additional selections, one of which is believed to be a second-rounder.

The trade can’t be finalized until the new league year begins on Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. ET.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/09/glazer-rams-redskins-strike-deal-for-no-2-pick/

Dee Dub
03-10-2012, 01:48 AM
This has the makings of a disaster. If you can't build around a young QB you are asking for problems. Giving up their second round this year, and their first round picks in both 2013 and 2014 is not very smart. But this is the Daniel Snyder Washington Redskins. Thank God the Pittsburgh Steelers are run by men who know what they are doing.

Snatch98
03-10-2012, 02:02 AM
Man they gave up a ton. 3 firsts and a 2nd to move up 4 spots. Hell of a deal for the Rams and typical Dan Synder. Although I think both RG3 and Luck are franchise QB's. IF they find a way to sign Manning it could be a franchise changer for the positive if they can hit on their later round picks.

7 UP
03-10-2012, 09:14 AM
This deal will ensure that the Redskins are a NON-contender for the next 10 years. The Skins have an awful line, receiving core, and 4 mediocre running backs. Throw a rookie QB in to that mix and you have a perfect recipe for disaster.

pfelix73
03-10-2012, 11:38 AM
LOL- HAHAHA- When I saw this on ESPN, I about fell off my chair laughing. I am just sooooo glad that our team doesn't do stupid things like this. Trading 3 1st round picks for an unknown dude is just so funny and insane.. Not very smart if you ask me. In fact, Shanahan is a lunatic. I am now convinced that the only reason he was successful in Denver was solely because of Elway who someone else drafted. He was lousy in Oakland, and now he's lousy in DC. This RG3 dude is no franchise QB. Can we say Akili?

:D

chiken
03-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Skins should have kept those picks and Rolled with the QB out of Boise. (I think he is a sleeper)

williar
03-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Redskins had to do something.. I knew they weren't getting Manning. He'd be a fool to come here to this team as constructed. I doubt if they would have attracted any meaningful offensive FA because they have no weapons, no OL. Nobody worth a hoot was coming here. I live here in the DC area and I'm kind of excited for them that they will have the opportunity to draft RG3. This fan base is starved for some excitement and I think RG3 will invigorate things a little bit. If they manage to win six games with Rex Grossman and John Beck, surely they will do no worse with RG3.

Crash
03-10-2012, 05:36 PM
They have $40 million in cap room. They can build around him with PROVEN TALENT quicker than just waiting picks to develop. Risky, aggressive move, but with $40 mil in cap room? I would do it if we were in the same situation.

Dee Dub
03-10-2012, 05:55 PM
They have $40 million in cap room. They can build around him with PROVEN TALENT quicker than just waiting picks to develop. Risky, aggressive move, but with $40 mil in cap room? I would do it if we were in the same situation.

Sorry Crash, that stategy has never worked for this organization. Spending big money on fat cat free agents get's you the Albert Haynesworth's of the league. What makes you think that is all of a sudden gonna work with a young inexperienced QB?

They need young talent to build around him. Hungry, hard working, dedicated to proving themselves, talent.

You reap what you sow. This is going to kill this franchise for a long time to come.

williar
03-10-2012, 06:19 PM
QB-wise, I still think the skins were better off drafting RG3. Peyton Manning would have been another Haynesworth-like move to me. FA come here to cash out and die. Matt Flynn is no more of a sure thing than RG3. The consensus here being they can attract more FA with a guy like RG3. I'm excited about what this kid has to offer.

Crash
03-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Sorry Crash, that stategy has never worked for this organization. Spending big money on fat cat free agents get's you the Albert Haynesworth's of the league. What makes you think that is all of a sudden gonna work with a young inexperienced QB?

They need young talent to build around him. Hungry, hard working, dedicated to proving themselves, talent.

You reap what you sow. This is going to kill this franchise for a long time to come.

It's two #1 picks to GUARANTEE a franchise QB. Those picks won't matter much if they use their free agent dollars wisely.

Albert Haynesworth is what he is, a fat, lazy, defensive tackle.

Name an offensive skill player who can be lazy and yet produce? It's not possible. In fact I've always felt that to be successful in free agency you spend on offense, draft defense and teach them your scheme.

$40 million in cap room cures a lot of problems. But they have to do it right.

SS Laser
03-11-2012, 01:58 AM
Wonder if the Redskins next step is the Saints guard Carl Nicks who wants to be the highest paid guard in the league from what I read. Wonder how much cap that eats? Will he get paid and be fat an lazy?

hawaiiansteel
03-11-2012, 03:36 AM
Wonder if the Redskins next step is the Saints guard Carl Nicks who wants to be the highest paid guard in the league from what I read. Wonder how much cap that eats? Will he get paid and be fat an lazy?

signing Carl Nicks would go a long way towards helping out their OL. I've also heard the Redskins might make a run at WR Vincent Jackson so they will undoubtedly be big players in free agency once again.

Crash
03-11-2012, 11:27 AM

He could be, and then you know what? If he's fat and lazy and starts getting his QB killed? Shanahan would yank him.

ikestops85
03-11-2012, 08:48 PM
and the redskins are once again in the running for winning an off season Super Bowl. Reminds me of the days they released Ryan Clark after signing Adam Archuleta for millions. What a joke of an organization. :lol::lol:

Ghost
03-12-2012, 01:52 PM
The SKins have a rookie GM - Les Snead. He basically made the decision that "there is no value for a franshise QB." Who knows, maybe 5 or 6 years from now he'll be considered a genius.

Worse move: Skins giving up the picks or the Jets giving Sanchez some big up front money and extending him 3 years?

Oviedo
03-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Just saw on the ESPN website that the Redskins lost $36M in cap space because of some of the ways they did contracts in 2010. That will hamstring them for sure.

Dallas also had $10M of cap space taken away from them too. Seems like the Giants will be looking pretty good in the NFC East again.

Dee Dub
03-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Just saw on the ESPN website that the Redskins lost $36M in cap space because of some of the ways they did contracts in 2010. That will hamstring them for sure.

Dallas also had $10M of cap space taken away from them too. Seems like the Giants will be looking pretty good in the NFC East again.

Yep! This is a huge blow!! Now the trade looks even worse.

The salary cap is projected to be $120.6 million in 2012, but the Cowboys will lose $10 million, while the Redskins will be docked $36 million in cap space, sources said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7677375/sources-dallas-cowboys-washington-redskins-lose-millions-cap-space

:p

Chadman
03-12-2012, 07:46 PM
$36 million! Holy moly! Welcome to the NFL rookie...

aggiebones
03-12-2012, 07:52 PM
I rarely agree so whole-heartedly with Dub like I do here.
This spells disaster for 'Skins for at least a decade.
For one, RG3 is NOT a can't miss prospect. Not even close. He's talented for sure, but not cqan't miss.
Two, they are NOT going to go to FA and get a bunch of stars. Good players get resigned. FA ALL have some sort of problems. You can get a couple to mix in, but when you live with them, you die ugly.
Three, Its THREE 1st rounders and a second.

aggiebones
03-12-2012, 07:57 PM
weird, this is the post I tried to make yesterday. Retyped a better one today and its now lost...?

ikestops85
03-13-2012, 09:45 AM

I'm a bit confused by this. Living in the DC area I am a healthy foreskin hater but when they front-loaded a lot of contracts in 2010 because it was an uncapped year I thought they were smart. I was hoping the Steelers would make a move like that. Now, for some reason, they are being penalized for this. I'm not sure how they can go back and grandfather a rule in that will penalize clubs for having a little ingenuity. I think this is another uneven decision by our hypocritical commissioner.

Oviedo
03-13-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm a bit confused by this. Living in the DC area I am a healthy foreskin hater but when they front-loaded a lot of contracts in 2010 because it was an uncapped year I thought they were smart. I was hoping the Steelers would make a move like that. Now, for some reason, they are being penalized for this. I'm not sure how they can go back and grandfather a rule in that will penalize clubs for having a little ingenuity. I think this is another uneven decision by our hypocritical commissioner.

Adam Schefter said on Mike and Mike this morning that is would be $18M off this year and the other $18M next year. he also said that he has heard that the Redskins are going to fight this because there were numerous othef teams (mentioned Green Bay) that did the same thing and this might get real ugly.

Crash
03-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Good. I hope Snyder sues Goodell.

Don't blame Snyder for working the rules. The Jags purged payroll because they had no cap penalties with no cap. Why isn't that a problem?

This is why Goodell sucks. He makes up rules as he goes along. Like a kid with a toy doctor set who thinks he's a brain surgeon.

Dee Dub
03-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Good. I hope Snyder sues Goodell.

Don't blame Snyder for working the rules. The Jags purged payroll because they had no cap penalties with no cap. Why isn't that a problem?

This is why Goodell sucks. He makes up rules as he goes along. Like a kid with a toy doctor set who thinks he's a brain surgeon.

You couldnt be more off Crash. This situation for Dallas and Washington is happening because 30 other owners are unhappy with what they did during the uncapped year. Roger Goodell doesnt work for Roger Goodell. He works for the owners. If 30 of the 32 owners are unhappy with what 2 owners did you can bet that Goodell has to side with them.

You really think he is making up rules? Wow...:rolleyes:

ikestops85
03-13-2012, 01:14 PM
You couldnt be more off Crash. This situation for Dallas and Washington is happening because 30 other owners are unhappy with what they did during the uncapped year. Roger Goodell doesnt work for Roger Goodell. He works for the owners. If 30 of the 32 owners are unhappy with what 2 owners did you can bet that Goodell has to side with them.

You really think he is making up rules? Wow...:rolleyes:

Not making them up but playing fast and loose with them. He told the teams to watch how they handled contracts for the 2010 year but then the NFL approved every contract the the Redskins and Cowboys signed for that year. Also, why aren't the teams like Jacksonville who fell far below the floor for salaries being punished? The guy is so inconsistent in his rulings on anything its ridiculous.

Crash
03-13-2012, 01:15 PM
The other owners didn't suspend Ben, Goodell did. Or does he only work for the owners when it serves him?

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17gb6h4c1kqc6png/original.png

Look at those examples. Look at Julius Peppers specifically. Why weren't the Bears punished?

Look at Tyson Jackson's contract from 2010 to 2011. $15 MILLION dip from 2010 to 2011.

Don't penalize two owners when others were doing the same thing.

ikestops85
03-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Nice chart Crash. Damn, what has Tyson Jackson ever done to deserve that much money?

hawaiiansteel
03-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Not making them up but playing fast and loose with them. He told the teams to watch how they handled contracts for the 2010 year but then the NFL approved every contract the the Redskins and Cowboys signed for that year. Also, why aren't the teams like Jacksonville who fell far below the floor for salaries being punished? The guy is so inconsistent in his rulings on anything its ridiculous.

hey what's up ikestops85...

love your sig, too funny! :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2012, 03:14 PM
The SKins have a rookie GM - Les Snead. He basically made the decision that "there is no value for a franshise QB." Who knows, maybe 5 or 6 years from now he'll be considered a genius.

Worse move: Skins giving up the picks or the Jets giving Sanchez some big up front money and extending him 3 years?

Actually, Les Snead is the rookie GM for the Rams. He looks like a genius already, getting three first rounders and a second rounder in exchange for the #2 overall pick.

The GM for the Redskins is Bruce Allen (former Redskin head coach George Allen's kid).

ikestops85
03-13-2012, 03:50 PM
hey what's up ikestops85...

love your sig, too funny! :lol:

Thanks ... I found it on Google and thought it accurately portray's our Commish :wink: