PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Zeitler can open up some holes!

Dee Dub
03-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Look at his push straight ahead. He consistently drives his man back. Also, not too bad at pulling. Would like to see a lower pad level on some of those pulls but he still seems to get the job done. At 1:20 into this clip you see he gets stood up a little yet doesnít give away any ground, which is impressive in itself (strong). And starting at 2:26 into the clip he is going up against Devon Still (#71), of Penn State. He does a nice job versus him as well. Look at his pull on the clip at 4:07. Very impressive. Getís to the second level and blows out the ILB. A TD block too. And again at 4:31 into the clip (this one from their own 1 yard line).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phahBI8uxKw

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Look at his push straight ahead. He consistently drives his man back. Also, not too bad at pulling. Would like to see a lower pad level on some of those pulls but he still seems to get the job done. At 1:20 into this clip you see he gets stood up a little yet doesnít give away any ground, which is impressive in itself (strong). And starting at 2:26 into the clip he is going up against Devon Still (#71), of Penn State. He does a nice job versus him as well. Look at his pull on the clip at 4:07. Very impressive. Getís to the second level and blows out the ILB. A TD block too. And again at 4:31 into the clip (this one from their own 1 yard line).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phahBI8uxKw

Hey....We agree on something!:wink:

Dee Dub
03-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Hey....We agree on something!:wink:

:D Yes we do. My fear though is Zeitler is gone early second round.

BigRob
03-09-2012, 02:18 PM
:D Yes we do. My fear though is Zeitler is gone early second round.

Trade back and take him? 24 seems to be a spot where teams trade up to and trade back from. Konz has more flexibility, but Zeitler would be the bruiser we need.

focosteeler
03-09-2012, 07:57 PM
I wouldnt mind taking him in the second if we couldnt trade up for DeCastro....also wouldnt mind Bradie Ewing in the 7th

Shawn
03-10-2012, 12:12 AM
You do remember not being fond of Zeitler when he was in my mock. :)

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2012, 01:39 AM
BTSC Seven Round 2012 Mock Draft: Post NFL Combine Edition

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/profile_images/429854/IMAG0299_tiny.jpg by Michael Bean (http://www.sbnation.com/users/Michael Bean) on Mar 9, 2012 (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/3/9/2858177/btsc-seven-round-2012-mock-draft-post-nfl-combine-edition)

56. Pittsburgh Steelers Ė Kevin Zeitler OG, Wisconsin

If the Steelers bypass taking an offensive lineman in the first round they simply have to here. If heís available Iím sure that Zeitler is going to be a fan favorite among those in Steelers Nation. Not only would he fill the teamís biggest need but heís also a powerful road grader who can start from day one.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/3/9/2858177/btsc-seven-round-2012-mock-draft-post-nfl-combine-edition

Dee Dub
03-10-2012, 01:43 AM
You do remember not being fond of Zeitler when he was in my mock. :)

Saying that he probably wont start or give you much of a return in year one doenst make one not fond of the player. ;) But the more I watch tape of him the more I realize I could be wrong about that. He is growing on me big time....as you can see by my sig. :D

steelblood
03-10-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks for posting. These are good highlights. I've watched him for full games and he is generally consistent in getting push in the run game. His pass blocking is adequate though not outstanding in any way. He does get beat occasionally.

He does a nice job against NFL talent (mostly Steinkuhler #55 for Nebraska-probably a 3rd rounder in next year's draft, Jordan Hill #47 for Penn State-probably a 1st or 2nd rounder in 2013 and on one or two plays Devon Still). Most of the second half of the highlights are pulls and counters. He shows plenty of quickness to be effective pulling.

Ogelsby and Konz's backup (72) both looked excellent in those highlights as well. That line was pretty special.

pfelix73
03-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Zeitler in round 2 is more like it. Even if we have to trade up in the 2nd to get him. Poe- who at this point probably won't be there at #24- or Hightower makes sense at #24. Use that 2nd or 3rd for a OG.

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Bengals Reached for Kevin Zeitler

Published May 2, 2012
By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

The Cincinnati Bengals have gotten very positive reviews for their 2012 NFL Draft class. That is understandable and deserved with where they landed some of their mid-round picks. The Bengals were able to land defensive tackles Devon Still and Brandon Thompson along with wide receiver Mohamed Sanu on Day 2. Still was a potential first-round pick who Cincinnati acquired at No. 53 overall. Thompson was considered to be a second-round prospect, yet they snagged him with No. 93 at the end of the third round.

Cincinnati acquired that selection from New England after it traded down in the first round from No. 21 to No. 27. Sanu was another potential second-rounder whom the Bengals grabbed late, using the No. 83 selection during the third round. All three of those players were excellent value picks for the team.

The Bengals continued the trend on the final day of the draft. They took tight end Orson Charles in the fourth round and landed three good picks in the fifth with cornerback Shaun Prater, wide receiver Marvin Jones and safety George Iloka. All three of those players could have been selected earlier, especially Jones and Iloka.

While Cincinnati really did well with those seven players, there is one reach that stands out, and that is in the first round. The Bengals snagged guard Kevin Zeitler with the 27th pick after trading down with the Patriots. If Cincinnati had stayed at No. 21, the team could have landed the top guard in the draft, David DeCastro. Many considered him to be the top guard prospect to enter the NFL in the past decade.

Instead of taking DeCastro, Cincinnati moved down with New England and saw the rival Steelers grab DeCastro. The Bengals will have their hands full with DeCastro combining with Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey to lead Pittsburgh's rushing attack for years to come. The DeCastro-Pouncey tandem will also make it extremely difficult to get any pass rush up the middle of the Steelers' line.

Meanwhile, Zeitler was projected to go in the second round, and there was a huge drop off from DeCastro to the Wisconsin guard. The Bengals also could have traded down and probably have still landed him. Minnesota and Tampa Bay were trying to move up back into the first round and eventually were successful. Even if Cincinnati missed out on Zeitler, it would've had its choice of guards in Cordy Glenn (No. 41 to Buffalo) and Amini Silatolu (No. 40 to Carolina). In speaking with another NFL team, they had a second-round grade on Zeitler, so by both their draft board and the consensus draft board, he was a reach.

Overall, it was a good draft for the Bengals, but it would look better if they had taken DeCastro as a first-round pick (along with Dre Kirkpatrick) rather than acquiring Zeitler and Thompson in the trade down.

It will be interesting to see how DeCastro's career compares to that of Zeitler and Thompson in the years to come. One can be sure that the Steelers and Bengals fans will be paying attention to the comparison.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

Djfan
05-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Nice youtube. The guy looks like a road grader. SO GLAD to see them work on our O line. VERY excited for the upcoming year!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Nice youtube. The guy looks like a road grader. SO GLAD to see them work on our O line. VERY excited for the upcoming year!!!!

That guy was drafted by the Bengals, though.

Oviedo
05-07-2012, 01:50 PM
I still think that the Bumgals have done more right in the past two years than they did the previous ten. They are going to be a hard out everytime we play them from here on out. I'm actually more worried about them than the Ravens as I expect the Ravens to take a step back especially with Suggs out. Ray Ray can't hide as much and get credit for piling on tackles that Suggs makes.

Djfan
05-07-2012, 02:04 PM
That guy was drafted by the Bengals, though.

Well, I read that wrong! I guess I shouldn't post on PS during class, huh?

I'm still excited for our moves. We did much work improvement on our line.

fordfixer
05-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Nice youtube. The guy looks like a road grader. SO GLAD to see them work on our O line. VERY excited for the upcoming year!!!! closet Bengals fan:p:p:p

Djfan
05-07-2012, 02:57 PM
closet Bengals fan:p:p:p

We are no longer friends. Until antelope season, that is.

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2012, 03:36 PM

Watch he doesn't "pull a Cheney" on you, FF! :p

Djfan
05-07-2012, 04:48 PM

So, are you backing out of the "Cheney payoff offer" you made me, Ruth?

Shoe
05-07-2012, 10:53 PM
I still think that the Bumgals have done more right in the past two years than they did the previous ten. They are going to be a hard out everytime we play them from here on out. I'm actually more worried about them than the Ravens as I expect the Ravens to take a step back especially with Suggs out. Ray Ray can't hide as much and get credit for piling on tackles that Suggs makes.

OK... I'm not one of those rose-colored-glasses wearing Steeler fans, who blindly dismiss Brownstains/Bengals every year. However... let me just point out how many teams over the past 20 years, I've heard (teams like) the Bengals "won the draft", "get an A" on their draft (like other also-rans around the league).

fordfixer
05-08-2012, 02:33 AM

I Should be okay, Cheney just shoots attorneys from Texas.

RuthlessBurgher
05-08-2012, 12:30 PM
So, are you backing out of the "Cheney payoff offer" you made me, Ruth?

No Halliburton stock will be changing hands today...:D

Djfan
05-08-2012, 03:41 PM
No Halliburton stock will be changing hands today...:D

You're a man of my word.

fordfixer
05-08-2012, 08:33 PM

Does that apply to me, Mrs. Ford Fixer?

Djfan
05-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Does that apply to me, Mrs. Ford Fixer?

Be it known: Mrs. Fixer will always be one of my heros. I am the better man for knowing her.

That should do it!

RuthlessBurgher
05-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Interesting tidbit from ESPN.com AFC North blogger Jamison Hensley's most recent chat:

Pete (Cincy): Jamison keep up the good work. I am still not understanding why the Bengals moved from #21 in the draft. DeCastro is/was supposedly the best G prospect since Hutchinson, so why did they move back?

Jamison Hensley (ESPN): The Bengals had Kevin Zeitler rated higher than DeCastro. From what I hear, the Bengals would have selected Zeitler at No. 21 if they didn't trade back. We'll see up close whether Zeitler or DeCastro will become the better guard.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/43750/nfl-with-jamison-hensley

Oviedo
05-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Interesting tidbit from ESPN.com AFC North blogger Jamison Hensley's most recent chat:

It was always my opinion that Zeitler was a legit Round 1 talent. IMO he will be every bit as good as DeCastro. He just didn't have Luck as his QB bring the team all the attention. Both should be very good for a long time.

Shoe
05-17-2012, 01:03 AM

I trust the Steeler brass over the Bengals'.

RuthlessBurgher
05-17-2012, 12:14 PM
I trust the Steeler brass over the Bengals'.

Just a little. :lol: It helps to pay more than just 3 full time scouts. :bungalssuck