PDA

View Full Version : Where Will Peyton Go?

flippy
03-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Now that the Colts are separating ways, wonder where Peyton will land?

I hope he doesn't land in Baltimore. That could be problematic for us.

Then again, Joe Flacco become problematic for us last year.

SteelBucks
03-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Jets.

D Rock
03-07-2012, 09:03 AM
To which ever team has the money available to sign Manning, Reggie Wayne, Anthony Gonzalez, Pierre Garcon, Jacob Tamme, and Jeff Saturday all at the same time.

The Redskins.

Oviedo
03-07-2012, 09:04 AM
IMO Arizona is the perfect landing spot:

1. Premier WR in the NFL
2. Dome like weather
3. One of the easier Divisions in the NFL
4. Decent OL
5. Uncertain situation at QB

Interesting to see how this plays out.

Steelers>NFL
03-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Dallas

Here is how, Homo Romo will suffer a torn rotary cuff playing too much golf. And Jerry Jones will panic and offer Peyton Manning a 1 year deal for $30m. And every media and football experts will pick the Cowgirls to win the Super Bowl with Peyton at helm.
Dallas will go 13-3, with Peyton injured next to the last game of the season. Romo comes back in time to save the Cowgirls, and Dallas loses in the first round of the playoffs because Homo Romo throws 4 ints.

Eich
03-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Peyton will land where he wants to land.

No way he'd end up in Baltimore. First, I seriously doubt the Rats would even go after him. Second, it's too cold in Baltimore for Peyton. Third, I doubt he would want to play in the physical AFC North.

Redskins are a possibility and they definitely want him. But Peyton will want to win now and the Redskins aren't really built to win now.

I'd also go with Arizona as a likely landing spot. Or Miami. Warm weather and better chances of winning.

ramblinjim
03-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Agree with Arizona. He'll play indoors, has a pretty good team already around him and an offensive minded coach.

It almost sounds like the Redskins will give St. Louis all of their draft picks for the next five years to try and take RGIII with the second round pick. (some sarcasm here, some).

feltdizz
03-07-2012, 09:34 AM
a coworker said Texans could be an option since TJ Yates showed a little something last year. That would be scary...

BradshawsHairdresser
03-07-2012, 09:34 AM
He'd make a fine backup in the 'Burgh.

'Course, then we'd probably have a hard time coming up with enough $$ to re-sign Wally. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Slapstick
03-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Manning will want to play for a team that can contend for the Super Bowl this year...

With all of the other factors, AZ sounds about right...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-07-2012, 10:11 AM
1. Arizona
2. Seattle
3. Miami
4. San Fran
5. Washington

phillyesq
03-07-2012, 10:31 AM
The Jets fans that I know have been clamoring for him, but I have a hard time seeing Manning voluntarily jumping into that situation. Arizona makes sense, and I could see a Manning/Wayne combo going to San Fran.

I can see Manning being very interested in control. I can see him going to a place that will allow him to bring Wayne with him as a package and where he will pretty much be given the keys to the offense.

Djfan
03-07-2012, 10:33 AM
The boradcast booth.

Oviedo
03-07-2012, 10:34 AM
The Jets fans that I know have been clamoring for him, but I have a hard time seeing Manning voluntarily jumping into that situation. Arizona makes sense, and I could see a Manning/Wayne combo going to San Fran.

I can see Manning being very interested in control. I can see him going to a place that will allow him to bring Wayne with him as a package and where he will pretty much be given the keys to the offense.

IMO Manning and Jim Harbaugh would not work. I don't think Harbaugh as a former QB could just turn the offense over to Manning. Not in his nature.

phillyesq
03-07-2012, 10:46 AM

IMO Manning and Jim Harbaugh would not work. I don't think Harbaugh as a former QB could just turn the offense over to Manning. Not in his nature.

The more I think about it, you're probably right. I could see a big personality clash between the two.

I just saw that Seattle is planning to throw a ton of money at Manning. They have a solid D, a dome, and an easy division. They don't have the best options on offense, but Lynch would keep defenses honest. Could be an interesting fit.

Slapstick
03-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Seattle no longer has a dome...

grotonsteel
03-07-2012, 11:59 AM
I think it will be ESPMZ or NBC.

I find it hard to believe Peyton Manning will be playing football after 4-5 neck surgeries.

And if he is playing he won't be playing in AFC North. All teams from AFC North have good defense and they play in cold weather not in dome.

He will be better of taking his talent to South Beach or Pittsburgh West.

williar
03-07-2012, 01:59 PM
He should go to Dallas. They need a QB and some leadership. The problem is Peyton would outshine Jerry Jones so in that case Jones would have nothing to do with him. I hate the cowboys but if I had anything to do with it I would make a run at Peyton and drop Romo like a bad habit.

When Jerry Jones ever realizes he's not winning anything with Tony Romo and send him packing maybe then I will take him seriously as a GM.

hawaiiansteel
03-07-2012, 02:03 PM
ESPN just got done analyzing this very subject and they narrowed it down to the following five teams:

1. Miami
2. Washington
3. Arizona
4. NY Jets
5. Seattle

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Seattle no longer has a dome...

Thanks Slapstick. My list was based on that and I forgot Quest Field isn't dome. REVISED!

1. Arizona
2. Miami
3. San Fran
4. Washington
5. Seattle

Oviedo
03-07-2012, 02:26 PM
A dome team that no one is metioning is Minnesota. He could mentor Ponder for a few years. They have good pieces. Think about it.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-07-2012, 02:38 PM
A dome team that no one is metioning is Minnesota. He could mentor Ponder for a few years. They have good pieces. Think about it.

Good possibility. Ponder could still benefit from watching. Alot of offensive weapons there. I would have said Jacksonville because of the weather and Gabbert could benefit. Jones-Drew and Lewis are nice players but Manning would need alot of WR help there. I'm thinking he will go to a team that has the best chance to get him to a SB to prove everyone wrong first, dome/warm enviroment, & then money. I feel Arizona & Miami have both but if the Vikings feel sitting Ponder is the best interest of the team...They are definately in that same category.

RuthlessBurgher
03-07-2012, 02:54 PM

Good possibility. Ponder could still benefit from watching. Alot of offensive weapons there.

What weapons? Sidney Rice is in Seattle, Percy Harvin is a threat to sit out any game due to unpredictable migraines, and Adrian Peterson blew out his ACL one week before Rashard Mendenhall did. If Mendenhall's knee injury on New Year's Day will prevent him from being ready to go in 2012, why wouldn't Peterson's knee injury on Christmas Eve do the same thing?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-07-2012, 03:27 PM

Good possibility. Ponder could still benefit from watching. Alot of offensive weapons there.

What weapons? Sidney Rice is in Seattle, Percy Harvin is a threat to sit out any game due to unpredictable migraines, and Adrian Peterson blew out his ACL one week before Rashard Mendenhall did. If Mendenhall's knee injury on New Year's Day will prevent him from being ready to go in 2012, why wouldn't Peterson's knee injury on Christmas Eve do the same thing?

Peterson had surgery 3 weeks before Mendy. Peterson is more of a put your foot in the ground and hit runner. I think he will be ready for 2012. Gerhart is there too. Harvin still put up 87 cathces with a rookie QB. Don't forget Jenkins is there too. Stick Wayne in there and that is a good WR core. They also have Shiancoe (If they resign him) & Rudolph at the TE position so they have offensive talent. There is alot there for Manning to work with.

I feel Arizona & Miaimi are the front runners.

Dee Dub
03-07-2012, 05:59 PM
I know this may sound crazy, but what if he went the the Browns? They have two first round picks (#4 and #22), this year and a second round at #37. Plus they are about 30 million under the cap. Maybe Holmgren comes back to coach?

They pick Justin Blackmon at #4, Cordy Glenn at 22? Sign Carl Nicks? Sign Reggie Wayne?

Wayne------Thomas--Nicks--Mack--Pinkston--Glenn------Blackmon

The AFC North would be one tough division.

feltdizz
03-07-2012, 06:44 PM
I don't think Peyton wants to play in cold windy weather. Dome team or warm weather. Sports radio said he didn't want to go out west so AZ isn't high on the list. They also said Denver contacted his agent.

Miami seems like an ideal fit.

Slapstick
03-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Per Adam Schefter, Manning has an offseason home in Miami...

Also, there is speculation that Manning wants to stay in the AFC so that he could possibly play against Eli in the SB...

phillyesq
03-07-2012, 08:26 PM
I know this may sound crazy, but what if he went the the Browns? They have two first round picks (#4 and #22), this year and a second round at #37. Plus they are about 30 million under the cap. Maybe Holmgren comes back to coach?

They pick Justin Blackmon at #4, Cordy Glenn at 22? Sign Carl Nicks? Sign Reggie Wayne?

Wayne------Thomas--Nicks--Mack--Pinkston--Glenn------Blackmon

The AFC North would be one tough division.

Interesting thought. The Browns D was actually pretty good, but their offense was putrid. They need at least 2 WRs, which they'd get with your scenario above. Would they change from attempting to run a west coast offense to accommodate Manning?

Djfan
03-07-2012, 10:35 PM
My local Bronco fan friends have been telling me that he may come to Denver.

papillon
03-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Pittsburgh and here's how...

Trade Ben to Indy for #1 pick overall (Indy gets Ben in his prime years)
Sign Peyton to a two year contract
Draft Luck or RGIII to learn for two years

The Steelers contend for Super Bowl for two years with Peyton until Peyton is 35 going on 36 and they have the best QB prospect on the roster ready to step in for the next 12 years after Peyton is done. Just sayin... :D

Pappy

williar
03-07-2012, 11:10 PM

The Steelers contend for Super Bowl for two years with Peyton until Peyton is 35 going on 36 and they have the best QB prospect on the roster ready to step in for the next 12 years after Peyton is done. Just sayin... :D

Pappy

I knew you were smarter than you were letting on. Now, where do I sign!!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Manning will not take his old, beaten up butt to a northern climate where he might have to get hit in the cold in December.

Take the following teams off of your list:

Washington
NY Jets
Cleveland
Pittsburgh - sorry Pappy
Although it is not cold, I think goodbye to Seattle too.

I think that Miami might not get him either due to the risk of playing in Buffalo, New York, and New England late in the season. But if he does sign in Miami take note to see if surprisingly the Fish have no division road games after Dec. 1.

Two favorites IMO: Arizona, San Fran

SteelBucks
03-08-2012, 12:19 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again, Manning will be a Jet. The Jets are built to win now except for the turnover machine at QB. Peyton can help stabilize that position rather quickly. Plus the media attention in NY...Peyton will eat that up.

Two Manning's in Manhattan, God help us all!!!

RuthlessBurgher
03-08-2012, 12:19 AM

Pappy

In that case, we'd definitely take RG3 over Luck...can't have any white backup QB's. :stirpot :D

papillon
03-08-2012, 07:14 AM
In that case, we'd definitely take RG3 over Luck...can't have any white backup QB's. :stirpot :D

That would be fine with me both of this years premier quarterbacks seem to have everything it takes to be very good NFL quarterbacks.

Pappy

kindlecatsb'ng
03-08-2012, 08:38 AM
I hope not. He has a terrible voice for media. Sounds like he is talking with food in his mouth to me.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-08-2012, 11:53 AM
I've got to believe he's going to the Dolphins. :)

Jooser
03-08-2012, 05:43 PM
From a strategic stand point, I have to go with a team by whom Peyton's helping hand will benefit the Steelers the most. IMHO, that team would be Miami. The Jets and Buffalo have started to give NE a loss or two here or there, but are far from consistent. Put Peyton in Miami vs Brady and I'd say he's good for one more NE loss each season. Look how close the playoff seeds have been the last 5 years or so and see how valuable that could be to us if we take care of business and win our division. Peyton also likes playing in a comfortable setting (like domes) and Miami is nice and cushy for him, at least playing there at home for at least half the cold season. Then, he travels north during the playoffs and loses. Perfect.

:tt2

Sword
03-09-2012, 09:24 AM

Pappy

WOW... before I logged in this is exactly what I was thinking...they could even add to the deal besides Ben to sweetin the deal....
I'm for this!!!!

Sword

hawaiiansteel
03-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Report: Peyton Manning meeting with Broncos, then Cardinals and Dolphins

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/HBpFWsALHes9yzOUzRstrw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTQwO3E9ODU7dz00MA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/388/2011/12/03/03-us-blog-avatar-40x40_070937.jpg

By Doug Farrar (http://sports.yahoo.com/author/doug-farrar/) | Shutdown Corner (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/)

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/CML9Wm22n.FLLHTMu5H0lw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/yahoo_manningtebow.jpg (http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/yahoo_manningtebow.jpg)Well, THIS could get interesting... (Getty Images)

Not long after Peyton Manning became a free agent, the suitors lined up, and now, visits are taking place. Mike Klis of the Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_20138824/peyton-manning-visit-john-elway-broncos-today) reports that Broncos VP of Football Operations John Elway and general manager Brian Xanders, fresh from Oklahoma State's Pro Day, will fly to Miami, pick Manning up at his south Florida residence, and try to sell him on the idea of becoming the Broncos' next franchise quarterback. Klis also reports that Manning has visits lined up with the Arizona Cardinals and Miami Dolphins after he spends some time in Denver.

Of course, the Broncos already have a franchise quarterback in Tim Tebow -- at least, the fans think so. But if Elway is still hesitating on Tebow as the long-term solution, as has been reported and intimated for years, getting Manning on board would be one of the few things that would keep those very same fans from burning Elway in effigy -- no matter how much you love Tebow, how could you possibly turn down an opportunity to have a healthy Peyton Manning at the helm for a few years?

Miami is still the favorite in most pools, given the full-court press they plan to put on, but ESPN's Adam Schefter recently reported that Manning might be turned off by the media circus that will inevitably become -- when Manning returned to Florida following his release from the Indianapolis Colts, he had paparazzi following him by car and helicopter (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=1197mgvtm/EXP=1332529355/**http%3A//yhoo.it/xgGt67).

(Of course, having Manning replace Tebow in Denver wouldn't be a media circus. No -- not at all!)
Meanwhile, Kansas City Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said Friday on NBC-TV that his team will pursue Manning with all the franchise's resources. No visit to Kansas City has been reported at this time.

"He's one of the greatest players in the history of the league," Hunt said. "He's also an incredible person. We feel really good about the team we have in Kansas City going into the 2012 season, but we'll look for any opportunity to improve and, of course, that includes Peyton Manning. I would think that he will be looking for the situation that fits him best. I don't know how important money will be to him, but I'm sure it will be part of the equation. But he's going to be looking for an environment that he's comfortable in."

The Arizona Cardinals also present an interesting possibility, given their indoor stadium, warm-weather climate, and the fact that Larry Fitzgerald is on the roster. Other competition for Manning's services may include the Seattle Seahawks and Washington Redskins, though a Thursday report from (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/03/report-redskins-out-of-peyton-manning-sweepstakes/1?csp=34sports&utm_source=twitterfeed&%2338;utm_medium=twitter&%2338;utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TP-TheHuddle+(Sports+-+The+Huddle)%23.T1l98jEgcRE)Chris Russell of Yahoo! Sports Radio -- who lives in the D.C. area -- indicated that the Redskins are out of the picture, and that was primarily Manning's call.

"A couple of different sources inside the organization have told me that Manning's camp made it pretty clear to Redskins officials he doesn't want to come here," Russell said on Thursday's SportsCenter.

"There's lots of reasons for that. His brother Eli, the colder weather, the whole situation down in Miami and so on and so forth. But unless that changes -- and I'm taking my sources at their word -- I don't think Manning's coming here to D.C."

Klis' report said that Manning intends to make a decision by next Tuesday, which is when NFL teams may make formal overtures to non-released free agents. Receiver Reggie Wayne, Manning's longtime teammate in Indianapolis, has said that he would love to play with Manning again no matter where he goes -- though Miami would be a preference (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/reggie-wayne-love-play-peyton-manning-again-miami-002332673.html).

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/report-peyton-manning-meeting-broncos-then-cardinals-dolphins-185853576.html

phillyesq
03-12-2012, 10:35 AM
I saw reports this morning that Manning won't be making any more visits. I'm surprised that he isn't considering Tennessee. They always seem to have a solid defense, they have Chris Johnson and Kenny Britt, and it gives him a few shots each year against the Colts. I'm also a bit surprised to see that Denver is considered the front runner now, they they seem to have a stronger overall team than Arizona.

Oviedo
03-12-2012, 11:21 AM
I saw reports this morning that Manning won't be making any more visits. I'm surprised that he isn't considering Tennessee. They always seem to have a solid defense, they have Chris Johnson and Kenny Britt, and it gives him a few shots each year against the Colts. I'm also a bit surprised to see that Denver is considered the front runner now, they they seem to have a stronger overall team than Arizona.

I don't think that Manning is the type to select a team to be vindictive towards the Colts. As far as the Titans, Johnson really fell back to the pack last season and Britt is a headcase who could be suspended at anytime because of a boneheaded move.

No one lese offers what the Cards do...Larry Fitzgerald. Besides they have the dome, the weather and a comparitively easy Division. I also think they have a good amount of cap space which means he could add Reggie Wayne with Fitzgerald. That would be an awesome combination.

feltdizz
03-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Just read a story on the Denver post thatthe Texans are now in the picture. They have it all in place and he gets to play the Colts twice a year... definitely not a done deal but don't put it past Peyton to go on a revenge tour.

Also hearing rumors the Texan talk could be nothing mores than a way to get Tennessee to make a move. Sure sounds like 3 teams turned into 6 and a ton of people are putting on conflicting stories.

I miss Favre already.

hawaiiansteel
03-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Report: Manning to visit with the Titans and Dolphins

By MJD (http://sports.yahoo.com/author/mjd/) | Shutdown Corner (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/)

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/9PrUzkZMaRxgYklGcIUtqg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTE1MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/Peyton-at-Press-Conference.jpg (http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/Peyton-at-Press-Conference.jpg)

Getty Images

Despite reports that the Denver Broncos were heavy favorites to lock up the services of Peyton Manning (https://twitter.com/#!/VicLombardi/status/179050029015773184), Manning is planning to make visits to at least a couple more teams. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that, in the next few days, Manning will meet with head coach Joe Philbin of the Miami Dolphins and head coach Mike Munchack of the Tennessee Titans (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7677247/miami-dolphins-tennessee-titans-talk-peyton-manning-sources-say).

Here's Mort:

The meetings are scheduled to be away from the teams' facilities.

Manning, a free agent, definitely will not be choosing a team by 4 p.m. Tuesday, the commencement of the new league year.

His meeting with Philbin, the Dolphins' new coach, likely will be Monday night or Tuesday morning. His meeting with Munchak is expected to take place no later than Wednesday.

Maybe Peyton was influenced by Titans' owner Bud Adams public love letter on Sunday (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/titans-owner-bud-adams-wants-peyton-manning-doing-141345434.html). Robert Redford was not as brazen in his pursuit of Demi Moore in "Indecent Proposal (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/indecent-proposal/)." If a feeling of being genuinely wanted was a concern of Peyton's, I'd say Bud Adams took care of that pretty well. Who knows what Peyton would think of the twice-yearly media circus that would result from playing in the same division as his former employers, the Colts.

As for the Dolphins, they must be relieved that they're getting a chance. Heading into this thing, they seemed to have the biggest jones for Manning, and yet to even secure a meeting. They'll at least get their courtesy meeting to promise him the moon.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/report-manning-visit-titans-dolphins-222135203.html

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2012, 10:07 AM
You also have to take into account that it would be the "prodigal son has returned" if he signed with the Titans and returned back to where he played his college ball (albeit in Nashville instead of Knoxville, but still).

Oviedo
03-13-2012, 10:17 AM
You also have to take into account that it would be the "prodigal son has returned" if he signed with the Titans and returned back to where he played his college ball (albeit in Nashville instead of Knoxville, but still).

From a PR standpoint it would be a windfall for the Titans to get manning back in Tennessee. Jersey sales, etc would go through the roof.

I'm just not sure that the Titans meet the standard of play off ready even with Manning.