PDA

View Full Version : Dontari Poe from an Ex-NFL Scout....

Dee Dub
03-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Russell Lande ? @RUSSLANDE
After finishing film evaluation of Memphis Dontari Poe it seems clear to me that he is much more of a big 3 tech DT than a true NT.

Poe probably would fit best as a 5 tech DE in a 34 like San Diego or Pittsburgh plays, not in KC's 34 scheme as well though.

Who was it here that said He was better suited at a DT in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dee Dub
03-06-2012, 07:32 PM
@RUSSLANDE
Poe seems more comfortable using quicks to attacks gaps & penetrate. Doesn't play like a true 2-gap, run stuffing clogger

D Rock
03-06-2012, 08:20 PM
After finishing film evaluation of Memphis Dontari Poe it seems clear to me that he is much more of a big 3 tech DT than a true NT.

Poe probably would fit best as a 5 tech DE in a 34 like San Diego or Pittsburgh plays, not in KC's 34 scheme as well though.

some things never change...

Chadman
03-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Think we agreed about this on another thread- you could draft Poe & play him DE while moving Hood inside. So long as the best 3 DL are on the field- the alignment may not matter all that much.

Would you compare Poe to say, former Steeler Kimo Von Oelhoffen that way? The body of a NT, the style of a DE. The Steelers tried Kimo at NT for a year, then quickly drafted Casey the next season & pushed Kimo back to his better position.

Would be interested in your view of Michigan's Mike Martin...

Dee Dub
03-06-2012, 08:23 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":mlb5hal2]Russell Lande ? @RUSSLANDE

some things never change...[/quote:mlb5hal2]

Come on, Chadman told me to have fun. So I am having fun. Just playin.

Dee Dub
03-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Think we agreed about this on another thread- you could draft Poe & play him DE while moving Hood inside. So long as the best 3 DL are on the field- the alignment may not matter all that much.

Would you compare Poe to say, former Steeler Kimo Von Oelhoffen that way? The body of a NT, the style of a DE. The Steelers tried Kimo at NT for a year, then quickly drafted Casey the next season & pushed Kimo back to his better position.

Would be interested in your view of Michigan's Mike Martin...

Most people still think he is a 3-4 NT. I dont and haven't from day one.

isonator07
03-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Russ Lande was a scout for the browns :brownssuck

Dee Dub
03-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Russ Lande was a scout for the browns :brownssuck

Also the Rams and he worked for U.C.L.A in their recruiting department for a while.

By the way...a scout doesn't make the draft picks.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-06-2012, 08:44 PM
I've thought all along that Poe is too tall to play the nose.

hope he goes before our pick.

Dee Dub
03-06-2012, 08:48 PM
I've thought all along that Poe is too tall to play the nose.

hope he goes before our pick.

I dont think he is too tall. There are 3-4 NT's who are actually taller in the league and they are successful. I just think based on the tape I have seen of him, he is better outside than inside in the 3-4.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-06-2012, 08:52 PM
I don't agree.

low man wins.

I prefer a NT around 6'1, 6'2 like snack.

DukieBoy
03-06-2012, 09:05 PM
[quote="D Rock":26fdsa66][quote="Dee Dub":26fdsa66]Russell Lande ? @RUSSLANDE

some things never change...[/quote:26fdsa66]

Come on, Chadman told me to have fun. So I am having fun. Just playin.[/quote:26fdsa66]

Chadman was just playin' ya, DeeDub. :wink:

Dee Dub
03-06-2012, 09:10 PM
I don't agree.

low man wins.

I prefer a NT around 6'1, 6'2 like snack.

Oh no doubt...low man wins but Paul Soliai is 6 ft 4 and he has no problem at all with leverage/pad level.

Poe actually came in at 6ft 3 at the combine.

Chadman
03-06-2012, 09:12 PM
[quote="D Rock":2hfdb4iz][quote="Dee Dub":2hfdb4iz]Russell Lande ? @RUSSLANDE

some things never change...

Come on, Chadman told me to have fun. So I am having fun. Just playin.[/quote:2hfdb4iz]

Chadman was just playin' ya, DeeDub. :wink: [/quote:2hfdb4iz]

Chadman is The Puppetmaster!

D Rock
03-06-2012, 10:40 PM
That's an interesting ChadMock you have there. Certainly different from most others. I would be happy to see that happen, especially in rounds 2 and 3.

Chadman
03-06-2012, 10:58 PM
That's an interesting ChadMock you have there. Certainly different from most others. I would be happy to see that happen, especially in rounds 2 and 3.

Thanks D.

It's still in it's infacy at this point. Once Chadman has completed Chadman's 2012 Pre-Draft etc thread, he'll produce the finished product.

Oviedo
03-07-2012, 08:56 AM

I'm all for him playing DT in our 4-3 defense :stirpot

See all this talk you guys are doing about too tall, this and that is exactly the point I have been making about the 3-4 for two years now. If you get just the right people it will work great, but replenishing the talent makes it problematic because the "just right" NT is too hard to find (and 20 other teams want the same player) and the time it takes to convert DEs to OLBs is inefficient.

Slapstick
03-07-2012, 09:57 AM
And yet, the Steelers field top defenses year in and year out...

Oviedo
03-07-2012, 10:24 AM
And yet, the Steelers field top defenses year in and year out...

We'll see after this generational change of the roster we have just embarked upon. I hope that it remains true although our "rankings" didn't seem to effect the outcome of the Broncos play-off game or two losses to the Ravens.

But I'm sure any decrease in our "rankings" will be blamed on Colbert and Tomlin for cutting past their prime players than any inflexibility on the part of any other coach.

Slapstick
03-07-2012, 11:40 AM
I said nothing about "rankings".

I said that the Steelers field a top defense every year...

You disagree?

birtikidis
03-07-2012, 12:16 PM
we had such a difficult time with the last generational change.. I mean how could we ever replace Steed, Buckner and Seals? I mean we were bottom of the league defense forever because we couldn't replace them!
<sarcasm>

phillyesq
03-07-2012, 12:41 PM
we had such a difficult time with the last generational change.. I mean how could we ever replace Steed, Buckner and Seals? I mean we were bottom of the league defense forever because we couldn't replace them!
<sarcasm>

We also couldn't replace Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene. Or Joey Porter and Jason Gildon.

Just because a few people prefer a shot NT doesn't mean that it is an essential part of the 3-4. Jamal Williams was 6'3" and was a monster in his prime. Taller NTs and DTs can be fine.

steelerkeylargo
03-07-2012, 12:44 PM
For the record I have spent alot of time with Russ Lande over the years discussing scouting and football. I consider him a friend and one of the top evaluators of talent on the media side. I also believe Poe will be a top 15 pick.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-07-2012, 12:51 PM
For the record I have spent alot of time with Russ Lande over the years discussing scouting and football. I consider him a friend and one of the top evaluators of talent on the media side. I also believe Poe will be a top 15 pick.

I feel you may be right.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-07-2012, 02:10 PM

@CZabielski @evansilva - Everyone in NFL had Poe as 1st Rd pick before Combine & based on need for NT's in 34 he is going to go high.

That is a tweet by your guy too. There are varying opinions on Poe and many from some more renown individuals. Guys like Mayock, Brandt, Lombardi, Casserly, Kiper, Bunting all fell he is a zero tech with the ability to play 3 & 5 because of his athletic ability. He did that alot at Memphis because offenses picked up tempo in their gameplan to spread out there front. Keeping a DL on the field because of his versatility is a growing importance. Many teams speed up the game and limit your substitutions to keep you in base. When your base guys can be productive playing in an audible package in base it a huge plus. Colbert agrees.

"Versatility is huge," Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said. "You have to be able to play in a base defense first. But if thereís other things they can do from an athletic standpoint, thatís obviously a boon. It gives the coaches a lot more flexibility in what they can do. Is it necessary? No. Is it a bonus? Yes."

What I see on tape, Poe struggles to get down the line from the 5 tech backside against the run. He is athletic but he is also a big target against the grain getting through the trash. He is more productive tackle to tackle. Playing inside narrows the field for him and he is more of a factor. Putting him outside on college at 5 tech in passing situations created mismatches. If we are going to debate if Poe is a better 0 tech or 3 tech right now...I believe his athleticism and power make him a better 1 gap penetrator. However, what he does have isn't coachable and what he would need to be a dominant NT is.

I find it is a trend for you DD to create post of other 1st round mock picks in this forum if it isn't named Hightower or they don't sgree with you. I am curious to know why? Of course this is a forum for everyone to voice their opinion and who they like but you seem to take it as personal if someone doesn't like your guy. It is like fishing when you create these topics. So I will throw out my line to see how you respond. To really see how you wheels turn. How do you feel about guys like Brandt & Brooks having Hightower ranked #38 & #33? Curious to see what you say about someone who isn't as high on Hightower as you. The bigger one...Which you opened yourself up to would be about Russell Lande. I saved this for last for a reason. You should find out how your "example" feels about your own guy before you try to put other people's guy under your foot and grind them into the dirt.

Just a little somethin....Your thoughts?

@SigmundBloom @nfldraftupdate - Hightower is not a 1st Rd player as he is not aggressive or good vs blockers & lacks top coverage ability.

birtikidis
03-07-2012, 02:18 PM
<sarcasm>

We also couldn't replace Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene. Or Joey Porter and Jason Gildon.

Just because a few people prefer a shot NT doesn't mean that it is an essential part of the 3-4. Jamal Williams was 6'3" and was a monster in his prime. Taller NTs and DTs can be fine.
that's exactly my point. just bc a great player is past his prime and on his way out does not automatically mean the end of the defense.

Oviedo
03-07-2012, 02:31 PM
<sarcasm>

The difference is how many teams were playing a 3-4 defense back then compared with today. We had a much greater ability to pick and choose.

phillyesq
03-07-2012, 03:27 PM
<sarcasm>

that's exactly my point. just bc a great player is past his prime and on his way out does not automatically mean the end of the defense.

Oh, I completely agree with you ... just adding a few more names.

phillyesq
03-07-2012, 03:29 PM
<sarcasm>

The difference is how many teams were playing a 3-4 defense back then compared with today. We had a much greater ability to pick and choose.

To some extent that is true, but even back then, a guy the Steelers saw as an OLB another team would see as a situational rush end.

Also, premium defense tackles were always at a premium and probably always will be. Look at Pat and Kevin Williams from MN -- those guys could have easily been 3-4 DTs.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-07-2012, 03:47 PM
one point you guys seem to be missing in questioning finding quality NT because more teams are running the 34 is the simple fact when you do, they seem to last awhile.

we haven't drafted one since 2001.

feltdizz
03-07-2012, 04:01 PM
one point you guys seem to be missing in questioning finding quality NT because more teams are running the 34 is the simple fact when you do, they seem to last awhile.

which is odd because most NT's are fat lazy obese slobs. :D

They probably last so long because the only time they run is when they are leaving the field on 3rd down.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-07-2012, 04:21 PM
They probably last so long because the only time they run is when they are leaving the field on 3rd down.

yeah, but a lot of those times its 3rd and 8 because there was nothing gained the first two downs.

just an observation.

feltdizz
03-07-2012, 04:34 PM

yeah, but a lot of those times its 3rd and 8 because there was nothing gained the first two downs.

just an observation.

That was a joke for all the "Casey is obese and oh so fat" posters who think he is lazy and don't realize NT's are typically obese and oh so fat for a reason.

phillyesq
03-07-2012, 05:54 PM

Good point. With the exception of KVO for a year, the Steelers have pretty much manned the position with Hampton and Steed for the past two decades.