PDA

View Full Version : Another Draft Thread...

steelz09
03-06-2012, 04:05 PM
But w/ a slight twist....

It seems like the general consensus is Poe, Glenn, DeCastro, and Hightower.

If all are gone then who do we draft? Do you have a hunch? List it here!

Could the Steelers throw everyone a curve ball and select a FS or CB? What about a OT?
What about Upshaw from Alabama?

Since I live in SC, let me mention two South Carolina players (no, not Alshon)

Stephon Gilmore - Appears to be a playmaker and ballhawk but sometimes I questioned his "football" intelligence.

Melvin Ingram - Two things... yes, we'd likely need to trade up. Secondly and for the record, I'm not a South Carolina Gamecock fan but I do watch a lot of their games. IMHO, I can't say that I've seen a more disruptive / playmaking player in all of college football last year. On a consistent basis, I've watched South Carolina football and I would ask myself ..... OMG, who just made that player? And it seems like Melvin Ingram was the answer, 90% of the time.

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2012, 04:18 PM
I think Gilmore is a second round talent, and I think that we'd need to trade up even higher for Ingram than we would for DeCastro, so that's out of the picture (I think Ingram's a top 10 type of guy...elite pass rushers are always in high demand).

Oviedo
03-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Courtney Upshaw would be in reach if those others are gone and he fits Tomlin's "run and hit" LB preference. I wouldn't hesitate to pick him if the others were gone and still might take him ahead of Hightower if both were there.

I agree that Gilmore is likely early 2nd Round. Not a great year at the top end for CBs.

steelz09
03-06-2012, 04:36 PM
I think Gilmore is a second round talent, and I think that we'd need to trade up even higher for Ingram than we would for DeCastro, so that's out of the picture (I think Ingram's a top 10 type of guy...elite pass rushers are always in high demand).

Ingram is a top 10 talent but is he a top 10 pick. What if Miami doesn't select him at #10?

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Ingram is a top 10 talent but is he a top 10 pick. What if Miami doesn't select him at #10?

He could possibly go to Jacksonville at #7, Miami at #8, Buffalo at #10, Arizona at #13...top notch pass rushers almost never fall in the draft (I'm hoping that interior o-linemen fall, but I'm not holding my breath there either).

Chadman
03-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Chadman will play along jhansle->

If the top 4 guys are gone, Fletcher Cox, Mark Barron or even Zebrie Sanders might come into calculation in Chadman's opinion. Brandon Thompson probably gets a mention too.

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Among o-linemen, I keep hearing about Kalil being penciled in at #3, and Riley Reiff also going in the top 10. DeCastro is mentioned as a sure-fire prospect, but questions have come up about when to draft a pure guard, since tackles are considered to be a more valuable asset. Cordy Glenn is talked about as a versatile guy who is rising up draft boards, but there remain questions about his best position. Mike Adams has gotten play as his rose up boards, then slid back down again. Peter Konz has been discussed concerning whether his center skills also translate to a starting NFL guard or not.

The one guy who seems to be invisible is Jonathan Martin. He seems to be the consensus #3 OT with a solid 1st round grade, but you never hear anything about him. In recent years, tackles that we thought would be gone well before we picked just happened to slide down the board and were there if we wanted them in the first round (Brian Bulaga, Derek Sherrod). What if the forgotten man Martin (outshined by teammates like Andrew Luck, David DeCastro, Coby Fleener, etc.) is the man who tumbles this year?