PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall's price tag probably just went up

D Rock
03-05-2012, 07:51 AM
The Seahawks have re-signed Marshawn Lynch for 4 years, $31 million, with $18 million guaranteed.

Mendenhall is better than Lynch. Mendenhall is going to want at least $8 million/per year I'd bet. Mendenhall is not worth that.

steelblood
03-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Mendenhall may be better than Lynch when healthy. That is debatable in the least. But, he is going to have to prove himself healthy after an ACL tear. ACL tears are a big deal for running backs and usually lead to more ACL tears. This was his 4th year in the league and his second season ending injury (not the best average). His value at the end of the year will depend on how and if he is playing at the end of the season.

I will say that unless his value is relatively low, he will be gone.

SteelBucks
03-05-2012, 09:50 AM
The Seahawks have re-signed Marshawn Lynch for 4 years, $31 million, with $18 million guaranteed.

Mendenhall is better than Lynch. Mendenhall is going to want at least $8 million/per year I'd bet. Mendenhall is not worth that.

What Mendenhall wants and what he receives are two different things. With his injury, the Steelers are in the drivers seat regarding his next contract.

feltdizz
03-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Mendenhall isn't nearly as important to our offense as Lynch is to Seattle... at least he doesn't appear to be IMO.

Mendenhall is in a bad place IMO as far as negotiations are concerned.

SidSmythe
03-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Mendenhall is NOT better than LYNCH.
Mendenhall needs blocking ... Lynch does NOT.
as for pure talent .... Lynch is a TOP 5 Running Back in the NFL.

feltdizz
03-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Mendenhall is NOT better than LYNCH.
Mendenhall needs blocking ... Lynch does NOT.
as for pure talent .... Lynch is a TOP 5 Running Back in the NFL.

I think this is part of the problem... Steeler fans love their players so much it's hard to put their talent in perspective when looking a the rest of the league.

It comes down to the eye test and when I watch Lynch run I see a better RB...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Even if you believe that Lynch is better....and I do not - timing is everything.

Lynch the last half of 2011

Week 9 - 135 yards, 1 TD
Week 10 - 109 yards, 1 TD
Week 11 - 88 yards, 1 TD
Week 12 - 111 yards
Week 13 - 148 yards, 2 TDs
Week 14 - 115 yards, 1 TD
Week 15 - 42 yards, 2 TDs
Week 16 - 107 yards, 1 TD
Week 17 - 86 yards

Mendenhall

Week 9 - 52 yards, 1 TD
Week 10 - 44 yards, 2 TDs
Week 11 - BYE
Week 12 - 57 yards
Week 13 - 60 yards, 2 TDs
Week 14 - 76 yards
Week 15 - 64 yards
Week 16 - 116 yards, 1 TD
Week 17 - 38 yards - injured ACL

The only advantage here is age.....he is one year younger than Lynch (which I was surprised about, thought it was more).

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
I am one who does feel the ACL injury does not sit well with Mendy's running style. I wouldn't spend too much on retaining his services.

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2012, 11:03 AM
I am one who does feel the ACL injury does not sit well with Mendy's running style. I would spend too much on retaining his services.

I suppose you meant that you wouldn't spend too much. :wink:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-05-2012, 11:08 AM
I am one who does feel the ACL injury does not sit well with Mendy's running style. I would spend too much on retaining his services.

I suppose you meant that you wouldn't spend too much. :wink:

Thanks Ruthless. Big Fingers & spell check on iphone always give me problems. :wink:

feltdizz
03-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Even if you believe that Lynch is better....and I do not - timing is everything.

Lynch the last half of 2011

Week 9 - 135 yards, 1 TD
Week 10 - 109 yards, 1 TD
Week 11 - 88 yards, 1 TD
Week 12 - 111 yards
Week 13 - 148 yards, 2 TDs
Week 14 - 115 yards, 1 TD
Week 15 - 42 yards, 2 TDs
Week 16 - 107 yards, 1 TD
Week 17 - 86 yards

Mendenhall

Week 9 - 52 yards, 1 TD
Week 10 - 44 yards, 2 TDs
Week 11 - BYE
Week 12 - 57 yards
Week 13 - 60 yards, 2 TDs
Week 14 - 76 yards
Week 15 - 64 yards
Week 16 - 116 yards, 1 TD
Week 17 - 38 yards - injured ACL

The only advantage here is age.....he is one year younger than Lynch (which I was surprised about, thought it was more).

I think Lynch is better... I'm hoping we can get Mandenhall going in our tweaked offense to show he is better but IMO we are just going on college highlights when praising Mendenhall.

I truly think Mendenhall as been a disappointment thus far...

Oviedo
03-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Let's see how Mendenhall comes back from this ACL injury. The whole discussion may be rendered moot if he doesn't come back and excel.

If he doesn't come back and look like a great RB who hasn't lost anything then he won't command anywhere near what Lynch got with us or anywhere else. RB is probably the most easy to replace position in the NFL and the highest risk for a long term contract because the shelf life of an NFL RB is really only about 5 years.

aggiebones
03-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Lynch has a personality that I prefer. Harder runner, gets sheet done. He's coming into his own.
Mendy has some great tools to work with, but just rubs me the wrong way as a runner. Sometimes, he disappears effortwise.

Today, I'd trade for Lynch straight up with each having a 6 year contract at the same price. Maybe pre-ACL injury, I take Mendy.

But Mendy is going to be a shell of himself for about 1.5 seasons. Hopefully towards the back of season 2013-14, he'll get back to most of what he was.

But frankly, Mendy will sign cheaply, because he won't get a big contract outside the Steelers. His contract time did not come during a good situation with his injury. He is CERTAINLY not worth what he would have been pre-ACL.

Alas, the price you pay for not negotiating earlier and getting guaranteed solid money, versus trying to break the bank.

williar
03-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Include me in the, Lynch is better than Mendenhall, column. I've always liked Lynch's tough style of running and had one of those fantasies that we would acquire him when he was available for dirt cheap. I would take a runner like Lynch over Mendy (aka the tiny dancer) any day. You think Lynch would have gotten stuffed three times at the one yard line? I hope Mendy comes back healthy and shows something to make me believe he's worth the contract.

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Lynch has a personality that I prefer.

Lynch's "personality" was his one-way ticket out of Buffalo (multiple off-the-field incidents resulted in them dumping former first round pick for below market value a la Santonio Holmes).

Hard runner, sure (beast mode in the playoffs against New Orleans last year was awesome), but he is somewhat of a head case that I would steer clear of.

feltdizz
03-05-2012, 01:22 PM

Lynch's "personality" was his one-way ticket out of Buffalo (multiple off-the-field incidents resulted in them dumping former first round pick for below market value a la Santonio Holmes).

Hard runner, sure (beast mode in the playoffs against New Orleans last year was awesome), but he is somewhat of a head case that I would steer clear of.

Mend is a head case on game day IMO. You never know if hard running Mend or DWTS Mendenhall will show up.

steelz09
03-05-2012, 01:47 PM

Mend is a head case on game day IMO. You never know if hard running Mend or DWTS Mendenhall will show up.

:Agree

Obviously, our OL has hurt Mendenhall's productivity but I don't think the guy is THAT good and I don't think he is better than Lynch. Maybe he would be in some other offense though but not ours.

With that being said, I don't think Mendenhall has good field vision or anticipation on inside runs. It's like he closes his eyes right before hitting the hole on inside runs.

feltdizz
03-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Mendenhall only started 1 year at Illinois and he was in a spread offense. He's used to running through 5 yard holes and being out in space.

I think if we put him in the flat on screens and swing passes we will see Mend flourish. Leave the pounding to Redman.

steelz09
03-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Mendenhall only started 1 year at Illinois and he was in a spread offense. He's used to running through 5 yard holes and being out in space.

I think if we put him in the flat on screens and swing passes we will see Mend flourish. Leave the pounding to Redman.

I agree but you couldn't convince Arians of that. The entire world could see that Redman is the better short yardage / inside runner but yet he never saw enough carries.

I swear if Arians was ever the Saints OC, he would probably use Sproles as his short yardage / goal line back and Ingram as his outside running / receiving threat...

Why? Because that is what Arians would do... defy all logic. :)

SidSmythe
03-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Personally I hope MENDENHALL makes a comeback and some NFL teams gives him a Big contract and we get a 3rd Round Comp. Pick for him!!!

hawaiiansteel
03-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Should the Pittsburgh Steelers Release Rashard Mendenhall? Fanís Opinion

By Lee Andrew Henderson, Yahoo! Contributor Network

The Pittsburgh Steelers continue to make tough decisions about the players on their team. The latest casuality is James Farrior. Farrior spent 10 seasons on the Steelers and accumulated 100+ tackles six of those seasons. Farrior was a tough decision to makeóas was Hines Ward before himóbut there are more decisions to make. Like for example, shouldn't the Steelers also part ways with Rashard Mendendall?

Mendenhall has played well for the Steelers as the starting running back for the past three seasons and the former Illinois running back is only 24-years old. Mendenhall has rushed for 3,367 yards in three years, has scored 29 rushing touchdowns and has fumbled just six times in 813 carries. Under normal circumstances Mendenhall would be welcomed back for several seasons.

This isn't normal circumstances though. The Steelers had to reconstruct several players' contracts for the second year in a row and even after they did that they still had to cut several veteran players. When players reconstruct their contract it does not mean the amount of total money or the amount of years changes. It just means the money shifts to later years. All of the players that reconstrcuted their contracts will get paid more and more each year, leaving less and less room under the salary cap each year. That's when Mendenhall's future becomes less clear.

First, there is the fact that the Steelers seem doubtful that Mendenhall will play at all in 2012. He suffered a torn ACL late in the regular season and was unable to compete in the playoffs. Releasing Mendenhall may be a scary proposition because we're unsure how Isaac Redman will fare as a full-time running back but that is going to be the scenario next year even if Mendenhall comes back because he's injured.

There's also the little fact that Mendenhall becomes an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2012 season. He's not the only one though. The Steelers will also be looking for enough money to sign Mike Wallace and Heath Miller and Antonio Brown will be a restricted free agent as well. With all the problems the Steelers have with the salary cap it's hard to imagine that the Steelers will be able to afford Wallace, Brown, Miller and Mendenhall.

As much as I like Miller and Mendenhall, it's more important that the Steelers bring back Wallace and Brown. The receivers are simply better than the running backs and with a porous offensive line quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is more likely to scramble and make a passing play than the running backs are able to escape rushers. That's assuming Mendenhall even completely recovers from his ACL injury. Nobody knows when he'll be the same or if he'll ever be the same.

The Steelers would love to have a well-balanced offensive attack but if you have to choose one or the other then the Steelers would be smart to choose a passing game. The question has to be asked. If Mendenhall isn't playing all season in 2012 and he then becomes a free agent that the Steelers might not be able to sign then why not release Mendenhall now?

What would be the incentive for releasing Mendenhall? The Steelers running back is owed $3.4 million this season but if the Steelers release him then Mendenhall will only be owed $1.1 million. That saves the Steelers $2.3 million in cap space. It's nice that the Steelers players are willing to reconstruct their contracts but that isn't fixing their problems. Reconstructing contracts is just delaying the problem for another year. What will fix the problem is releasing players. That's why Farrior had to go, that's why Ward had to go and that's why Mendenhall needs to go.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11063936

Sword
03-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Trade
Mendenhall ....easy decision

Sword

BradshawsHairdresser
03-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Trade
Mendenhall ....easy decision

Sword

He's not likely to be healed up until near the end of the season. Anyone who traded for him would only be getting him for a few games, and then would have to re-sign him. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think you'd get much more than a box of rocks for him at this time.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-09-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm thinking he will start on PUP and come off it. He won't start if Redman is healthy. The Steelers will let him walk next year.

aggiebones
03-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Sorry, not referring to Lynch's off field personality. I should have clarified because I do think that is a concern. But Lynch's game day personality is strong. He 'seems' to have matured a bit over the last couple years and has might have a new respect for the game and how easily it could be lost. Someone may have gotten to him.
That say, I haven't dug too deeply into this. I don't really like Mendy, he's hurt now and was never used properly probably. I think he's a bit of a game day headache too. We'll see when he gets back. Pretty sure Seattle isn't going to offer us Lynch for Mendy straight up now anyway. :)

calmkiller
03-09-2012, 08:24 PM
It will only affect how much someone else will pay for Mendy. Not how much we will pay. Let him walk.

Snatch98
03-09-2012, 08:45 PM
I think our fan base values Mendenhall A LOT less than the Steelers front office does and if he's healthy and capable after his healing process he will get paid to stay. I also don't think he's going to want a ridiculous deal.

hawaiiansteel
03-09-2012, 11:31 PM
I think our fan base values Mendenhall A LOT less than the Steelers front office does and if he's healthy and capable after his healing process he will get paid to stay. I also don't think he's going to want a ridiculous deal.

:Agree Mendy's injury has definitely lowered his market value.

JPbucco
03-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Mendenhall will NOT get another contract from the Steelers.

Snatch98
03-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Mendenhall will NOT get another contract from the Steelers.

Lol what makes anyone so sure? He had a down year and his lowest carry total. Arians was a total moron with the run game and despite it all Mendenhall has had success and a couple of damn good seasons. He's also carried our team a few times when Ben was down. Give the guy a competent offensive line and he's an elite talent. Our line is getting there and a healthy Mendenhall is only going to improve. The front office values him more than a lot of people in our fan base do. I've read as much from the horses mouth a few times. Enough with the arm chair contract guru stuff. Let's see how he returns from his injury.

feltdizz
03-12-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm sorry but even if the Steeler value Mendenhall he can't do anything about it right now... once Redman shows the FO how a RB is supposed to run behind the OL that we have Mendenhall's value will plummet in the FO.

I also think BA was Mendenhall's biggest fan.... Mendenhall had success when Mendenhall had his head in the game and ran angry... unfortunately that rarely happened and he spent most of his career tap dancing for no gain.

Chadman
03-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Mendy is probably the most 'talented' RB the Steelers have had in years, but for reasons that could be too numerous to really accurately pinpoint- he's never completely become all that he can be.

We've seen flashes. Someone will pay for him & he'll probably perform down the line. If nothing else, the only thing this has proven is that 1st Round RB's are not a good 'value' investment. You can get similar production from much later rounds.

Ghost
03-13-2012, 12:44 PM
You can get similar production from much later rounds. - You don't even have to draft someone. After a year behind Bettis and Mr. Sweatpants (aka Staley); FWP had three seasons over 1000 yards (1 season a hair under 1500), with all of them more yards than Mendy has had.