PDA

View Full Version : A. Brown's trade value

steeler_george
03-05-2012, 05:14 AM
First of all, don't get me wrong. I love this kid, he has that big play ability on any given down, and he is still learning the game.

That being said, if he were on the FA market today, would he be equal or a little bit less value than Wallace. Think about it, Brown is younger, actually goes after the ball, can play the outside, the slot, go deep, go short, and don't forget his return ability. And if we do sign Wallace this year are we going to be able to afford both of them long term.

I wonder would he be worth trading for a late first or early second.

Keep in mind if we do this, We sign Wallace long term, bring back Crotchery, have Sanders as the 3rd wide.

D Rock
03-05-2012, 07:36 AM
First of all, don't get me wrong. I love this kid, he has that big play ability on any given down, and he is still learning the game.

That being said, if he were on the FA market today, would he be equal or a little bit less value than Wallace. Think about it, Brown is younger, actually goes after the ball, can play the outside, the slot, go deep, go short, and don't forget his return ability. And if we do sign Wallace this year are we going to be able to afford both of them long term.

I wonder would he be worth trading for a late first or early second.

Keep in mind if we do this, We sign Wallace long term, bring back Crotchery, have Sanders as the 3rd wide.

We should trade Pouncey too. He probably has high trade value.

NottinghamForest_UK
03-05-2012, 07:45 AM
You keep your best players, end of debate surely? The Kid could be a star !!!

steeler_george
03-05-2012, 08:04 AM
your 100% correct you keep your best players especially young ones; however, just thinking of that after reading all the let Wallace walk threads. Was just thinking outside of the box, considering we are going to weak in many positions starting off the year and need draft picks to replace the holes.

Add in our cap this year, and next year.

Steelgal
03-05-2012, 09:54 AM
I don't know if you're going to get that high of a pick for AB because this was his break-out year. MW has a longer history of making big plays.

that being said, there is NO WAY I'd trade him for a late first round pick. Between Wallace, Sanders, and AB our team is set at WR for years. Add Cotchery to the mix and it adds a veteren to the mix. I think about it this way. If we don't trade them, we'll be able to ignore WR in drafts for years to come (or atleast high round picks).

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2012, 11:47 AM

:lol:

Brown can be kept next year with a high RFA tender (like Wallace will get this year). After that, I believe the cap will go up substantially because of the new TV contracts, meaning that we will no longer be in salary cap jail, so signing guys like Pouncey and Brown long-term should be feasible (even after giving Wallace a long term deal this year).

Oviedo
03-05-2012, 11:58 AM

Brown can be kept next year with a high RFA tender (like Wallace will get this year). After that, I believe the cap will go up substantially because of the new TV contracts, meaning that we will no longer be in salary cap jail, so signing guys like Pouncey and Brown long-term should be feasible (even after giving Wallace a long term deal this year).

The challenge is the year after that. Do you really think this organization will want to pay two WRs each $6m+ per year at the same time. I don't see that in the cards regardless of what the cap is because any cap increase will be offset by all the backended money they put in place during all these renegotiations.

IMO it really will get down to Wallace or Brown if they both continue to perform to 2011 standards or get better. I would keep the more complete WR with better hands...Brown!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2012, 12:23 PM

The challenge is the year after that. Do you really think this organization will want to pay two WRs each $6m+ per year at the same time. I don't see that in the cards regardless of what the cap is because any cap increase will be offset by all the backended money they put in place during all these renegotiations.

IMO it really will get down to Wallace or Brown if they both continue to perform to 2011 standards or get better. I would keep the more complete WR with better hands...Brown!!!!

They had no problem investing heavily in multiple young talented LB's at the same time. The only reason that we jettisoned young talented wideouts like Burress and Holmes in the past were for attitudinal issues, which are not the case for these young bucks. The team will do what it can to keep these guys. The cap increase (plus further purging of a roster that will continue to age over the next couple of season) should be sufficient to allow us to keep the young, talented guys that we want to keep. Because we pushed money forward when restructuring deals, we will not be under the cap to the point that we would be able to be major players in free agency (but we never were anyway). The goal, as always, is to resign our own players who have proven to be successful in our system.

steelblood
03-05-2012, 01:33 PM
1. Brown's talents are great and his work ethic is fantastic, but he is not and will likely never be as valuable as Wallace because he does not have Wallace's elite speed (probably the best in the game right now).

2. Brown's trade value may be good, but he is a fantastic value for the Steelers right now. He will play this season out at about 560k. You don't trade a production to price ratio like that if you are trying to win a Super Bowl. Even if he plays next season at the RFA high tender. We should be able to keep him for 2 season at less than 3.5 million (or 1.75 mil per). This is as good as it gets and the Steelers are reaping the benefits of making an excellent late round selection.