PDA

View Full Version : Let's Simplify This

pick6
03-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Guys we had a major redzone issue last year. All things being equal if we punch the ball in once we got in the redzone who knows how far we could have gone last year. We moved the ball with relative ease between the 20's. The def was more than adequate.

That being said this years draft must address the redzone. Immediately remove 1st round ILBs from my draft board. And if you OL help is struggling to get 18 reps at the combine then I must look elsewhere.

Anything that will help us be dominant in a short field. Offensive line should be our first pick. The dilemma we face is in regard to what quality will be available at 1.24. We need a real player who will give Ngata and company something to deal with in the trenches. It would hurt but im looking to move up in the 1st.

If opponents have to respect our run game between the tackles and must fill the box with 8 because we are winning or neutralizing more one on one battles in the trenches instead of getting blown up every other play then things will open up for us and we will score more 7s than 3s. This is what it comes down to. Foote will be adequate at ILB and we'll draft a day 2 guy and try to groom him.

isonator07
03-03-2012, 03:53 PM
:Agree I would move ILB down to the 3rd or 4th position of need. Our biggest need IMO is the interior of the OL or NT. Right now we have McClendon at NT and nothing behind him. I don't see how Casey will be ready to go early.

I've read on here that we may move Ziggy inside but that doesnt leave us much depth on the outside. If we are gonna keep Sly and Foote why would we consider taking a guy like Hightower when we have minimal depth on the D-line?

hawaiiansteel
03-03-2012, 03:53 PM
maybe Todd Haley will call better red zone plays than Brucie did...

http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/steelersravens6.jpg

pick6
03-03-2012, 04:03 PM
maybe Todd Haley will call better red zone plays than Brucie did...

http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/steelersravens6.jpg

Excellent point Hawaiian. I totally meant to mention the addition of Haley. Redzone is one of the main reasons why Bruce is gone. Like I mentioned months ago, if Im a coach, about 40% of my practice will be redzone situations and execution. The "pansy" rules of Badall's NFL have made it easier to move the ball between the 20's, so an increased emphasis on redzone efficiency is in order. Either that or get Randy Moss and chuck it from midfield, you'll probably get a pass interference call depending on if your QB plays the great American hero role and the "class act" act well enough.

Chucktownsteeler
03-03-2012, 04:13 PM
I agree the redzone needs improvement. With that being I don't remember a year with as many fumbles and interceptions down in that area. We need to practice and preach "Ball Security" in the "zone". Better line push is a must.

I still go ILB first and OG in the second.

C-town

:2c

steelz09
03-03-2012, 04:29 PM
:Agree

I'm still convinced our red zone woes is from:

- Ben relying too much on his "backyard football" style
- Interior Offensive Line
- Play Calling

... I don't think skill positions are our problem on offense. We have weapons and IMO, more than most teams in the league.

RuthlessBurgher
03-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Offensive line should be our first pick. The dilemma we face is in regard to what quality will be available at 1.24. We need a real player who will give Ngata and company something to deal with in the trenches. It would hurt but im looking to move up in the 1st.

:Agree All aboard the DeCastro bandwagon! Trade up, baby!

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c1910342/media_center/images/rendered/blog/wysiwyg/DavidDeCastro.jpg

pick6
03-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Offensive line should be our first pick. The dilemma we face is in regard to what quality will be available at 1.24. We need a real player who will give Ngata and company something to deal with in the trenches. It would hurt but im looking to move up in the 1st.

:Agree All aboard the DeCastro bandwagon! Trade up, baby!

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c1910342/media_center/images/rendered/blog/wysiwyg/DavidDeCastro.jpg

Save a seat for me.

I'm just worried that even if we were willing to pull the trigger, there might not be any takers. Maybe the Seahawks. But who in the AFC wants us to get any better.

If push comes to shove and we don't get DeCastro or Glenn in the first, then we will be forced to move up in the 2nd because all of the starting OGs will be gone by our second pick, with maybe the exception of 1 or 2 borderline guys. We don't want a borderline guy.

I see you have Brooks in your mock. What is his latest draft round projection?

Oviedo
03-03-2012, 06:22 PM
:Agree I would move ILB down to the 3rd or 4th position of need. Our biggest need IMO is the interior of the OL or NT. Right now we have McClendon at NT and nothing behind him. I don't see how Casey will be ready to go early.

I've read on here that we may move Ziggy inside but that doesnt leave us much depth on the outside. If we are gonna keep Sly and Foote why would we consider taking a guy like Hightower when we have minimal depth on the D-line?

I would actually say that a two-down NT is not something we need to look at in the first two rounds. Especially given that any rookie will likely be rotating with a vet.

isonator07
03-03-2012, 07:18 PM

I would actually say that a two-down NT is not something we need to look at in the first two rounds. Especially given that any rookie will likely be rotating with a vet.

I know thats how you feel. I've read you say that a few times on here. I don't agree with you at all. I also believe the right young NT could stay on the field on 3rd downs. If you feel a rookie NT would be a 2 down player, I still think it would be a position that needs a very good rookie. We won't have to worry about a NT being a 2 down player if we can stop an offense on 1st and 2nd downs.

Slapstick
03-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Umm...stopping an offense on 1st and 2nd is what leads to an NT coming off the field on 3rd down...

While the right NT may be a 3 down player, I don't believe that such a player will be available for the Steelers in this draft...

Mister Pittsburgh
03-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Wonder what a LB Corp of Woodley & Harrison on the outside with Worilds in reserve, and then Timmons with a mix of Foote, Sylvester, and maybe a move of trying to draft Shea Mclellen and seeing if he could play inside, and have that crew battle it out in mini/ training camps. Shea has decent height, weight, speed to play inside & stuff the run or cover RB's or TE's across the middle.

Any opinions?

isonator07
03-04-2012, 12:58 AM
Umm...stopping an offense on 1st and 2nd is what leads to an NT coming off the field on 3rd down...

While the right NT may be a 3 down player, I don't believe that such a player will be available for the Steelers in this draft...

Exactly...and im a little worried about McClendon on 1st and 2nd down. I think we need to find the longterm answer at NT in this draft. I personally hope its Poe if we cant swing a deal to get Glenn or have him fall in our lap at 24.

NJ-STEELER
03-04-2012, 01:31 AM
hasnt colbert already come out and said ziggy is gonna play some nose. and what that will do is allow last year's #1 pick to start at the other end.

drafting an NT in round 1 puts last year's #1 (heyward) on the bench for a 2nd year and i hope the FO doesnt want to do that. its time for him to play

phillyesq
03-04-2012, 03:01 AM
hasnt colbert already come out and said ziggy is gonna play some nose. and what that will do is allow last year's #1 pick to start at the other end.

drafting an NT in round 1 puts last year's #1 (heyward) on the bench for a 2nd year and i hope the FO doesnt want to do that. its time for him to play

Bouchette has repeatedly speculated it, but I'm not sure that Colbert has said that.

An early NT would give the Steelers 4 very good players to rotate in on the defense line, plus McClendon. Whether he starts or is a rotational player, Heyward will play more this year.

phillyesq
03-04-2012, 03:05 AM

I know thats how you feel. I've read you say that a few times on here. I don't agree with you at all. I also believe the right young NT could stay on the field on 3rd downs. If you feel a rookie NT would be a 2 down player, I still think it would be a position that needs a very good rookie. We won't have to worry about a NT being a 2 down player if we can stop an offense on 1st and 2nd downs.

Isonator, I agree with you. NT is a key position. Also, a good NT can help keep the LBers clean.

pfelix73
03-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Yup, NG and ILB are the biggest needs on this team. With so many good OG's in this draft, that can be addressed in rounds 2,3, or 4. And I'd only take 1, not 2 or 3 like some of these crazy mocks have in them..

:tt1

NJ-STEELER
03-04-2012, 02:07 PM
i'm pretty sure i saw it on here that colbert has said as of right now, ziggy would see some snaps at NT

pfelix73
03-04-2012, 04:26 PM
He will. He played some there last year, and the year before that too. But def. more last year. But we need another NG up there to really solidify that position now for the long term. We had Joel Steed there, then Casey. Now we need another one to take over for the next 8-10 years.

:tt1