PDA

View Full Version : Come on is the media kidding?

SS Laser
03-03-2012, 03:24 AM
Is Mike Wallace worth the 5th pick?

Buccaneers | May consider pursuing Mike Wallace
Fri, 02 Mar 2012 12:54:55 -0800

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers could consider pursuing Pittsburgh Steelers restricted free-agent WR Mike Wallace if they believe adding him is worth losing their first-round draft choice in the 2012 NFL Draft
Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=1#ixzz1o2FrwPnT

I love Wallace already, But come on I would jump for joy to have the 5th over all pick.
I might take Claiborne. Or try and trade it for more picks.

Add Claiborne and Hightower oh my! Or trade back from 5 if possible and take Decastro and Hightower. Or even Luke Kuechly. Oh my. :Boobs

Yes I know it will NEVER happen! But it is fun. What would you guys do if you had 5th and 24th picks?

steelblood
03-03-2012, 08:31 AM
That is simply nutty nut bars.

TallyStiller
03-03-2012, 08:55 AM
The Bucs didn't become the Bucs by making smart decisions... outside of the Tony Dungy era, there haven't been many good days for that organization. Vastly overpaying for Mike Wallace wouldn't be completely out of character for them given their track record. Here's hoping.

Shawn
03-03-2012, 09:13 AM
I would be so happy that you couldn't wipe the smile off my face for weeks.

7 UP
03-03-2012, 09:56 AM
I want to keep Wallace. But if the Bucs want to give up the 5th pick in the draft to sign him Im all for it. We have a lot of holes to fill.

DukieBoy
03-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Wallace's speed kills. His other tricks are ordinary, and his killer speed won't last forever. Picking up a high #1 choice in this draft gives us a chance to solidify the trenches for years to come.

Steel Life
03-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Oh the possibilities!

NJ-STEELER
03-03-2012, 11:28 AM
why wouldnt they just take or trade down a bit Blackmon

they would have to pay him maybe half (if that) of what wallace is going to get

SidSmythe
03-03-2012, 11:41 AM
at this point right now MIKE WALLACE is a safer pick than any COLLEGE KID who's never played in the NFL.

I really have no idea why NFL Teams are so reluctant to give up a unproven DRAFT PICK for a proven NFL Player.

...the ONLY reason the Steelers are in the dilemna they are in is b/c they have ANTONIO BROWN becoming a Free Agent soon. If it wasn't for the emergence of BROWN, then I wouldn't trade MIKE WALLACE for a COLLEGE Kid.

AkronSteel
03-03-2012, 11:45 AM
I want Mike Wallace back!!! He is the guy that takes the top off the defense and allows all the underneath stuff to Antonio, Manny and Heath....but, if the Buccaneers are really considering giving up the #5 pick for Mike Wallace then by all means have at it. The Steelers can find a player in the first or second round that can fill that role. Heck, the team could legitimately have a shot at Justin Blackmon at that spot. Add to that a NT and OG with the next two picks and you will probably spend about as much for those 3 players as it would cost to pay Mike Wallace. A pick like that cannot be considered a step back!!!

:2c

phillyesq
03-03-2012, 12:26 PM
I want to keep Wallace. But if the Bucs want to give up the 5th pick in the draft to sign him Im all for it. We have a lot of holes to fill.

:Agree

D Rock
03-03-2012, 02:31 PM
That #5 could potentially be turned into two 1's this year, or some sort of awesome package like the Browns got from Atlanta last year.

That would be very tempting after this house-cleaning that just went down.

pick6
03-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Id take an early 2nd rounder for Wallace at this point. Correct me if I'm wrong but he will be an UFA next year. If that is true we will lose him to someone overpaying a guy who can't catch. Then we will get nothing for him. I guess we would lose an explosive highly motivated (contract year) player for this upcoming year but that's probably all. He wants the money and he is looking at the door. Pay Brown in the future not Wallace now.

The reality is that the market is flooded with awesome receivers, many of whom are clearly better than Wallace. So these teams, many of whom have plenty of cap space will seek to sign a better player and keep there first round pick.

Any first round pick would be great to exchange for Wallace, but only a foolish opposing GM would make that move, especially in this market.

flippy
03-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Can't say I'd definitely want to use the #5 pick. But I'd take it and try to trade down.

RuthlessBurgher
03-03-2012, 05:03 PM
The reality is that the market is flooded with awesome receivers, many of whom are clearly better than Wallace.

Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, and Larry Fitzgerald are not on the market...who are all of these awesome receivers who are clearly better than Wallace that are currently flooding the market?

Steel Life
03-03-2012, 05:39 PM
I want Mike Wallace back!!! He is the guy that takes the top off the defense and allows all the underneath stuff to Antonio, Manny and Heath....but, if the Buccaneers are really considering giving up the #5 pick for Mike Wallace then by all means have at it. The Steelers can find a player in the first or second round that can fill that role. Heck, the team could legitimately have a shot at Justin Blackmon at that spot. Add to that a NT and OG with the next two picks and you will probably spend about as much for those 3 players as it would cost to pay Mike Wallace. A pick like that cannot be considered a step back!!!

:2c
You could take the top off the defense with Stephen Hill (who also has height) & with extra picks gained by trading down OLinemen like Brooks, Silatolu & Osemele are now in play in the 2nd along with our original pick. This could be a really good thing...

Oviedo
03-03-2012, 06:14 PM
The 5th pick in the NFL draft is one I'll take everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. That pick could translate to about three really good picks that could fix lots of holes that existed and were created with all the cuts.

Anyone else thinking after this week's events that Colbert is playing this really hoping that Wallace gets signed????

pick6
03-03-2012, 06:52 PM
The reality is that the market is flooded with awesome receivers, many of whom are clearly better than Wallace.

Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, and Larry Fitzgerald are not on the market...who are all of these awesome receivers who are clearly better than Wallace that are currently flooding the market?

Well maybe "clearly" was a bit ambitious but here goes, Desean Jackson (might be tagged), Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson are better receivers to me. Then you've got guys who can make a big play in the redzone or any other time with awesome route running and football IQ, not to mention real catching skills. Those include, Marques Colston, Meachem, Garcon, Manningham (see this years playoffs), ohh I forgot the bum umm what's his name, oh yeah, Reggie Wayne.
Wallace is fine but never would I come near to breaking the bank for this guy. His sideline awareness is weak and his hands are still suspect. Yeah he's made some catches but our success dies not hinge on him. He is one of our great players that we can afford to lose if need be.

SS Laser
03-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Wow, I am shocked. After all the years of our CB's suck except Ike. Heck maybe even Ike a little. No one wants Claiborne? Is he not Revis good? Or just not 5th pick good.

I still would trade out for more picks. Even extra picks next year.

williar
03-03-2012, 08:00 PM
at this point right now MIKE WALLACE is a safer pick than any COLLEGE KID who's never played in the NFL.

I really have no idea why NFL Teams are so reluctant to give up a unproven DRAFT PICK for a proven NFL Player.

...the ONLY reason the Steelers are in the dilemna they are in is b/c they have ANTONIO BROWN becoming a Free Agent soon. If it wasn't for the emergence of BROWN, then I wouldn't trade MIKE WALLACE for a COLLEGE Kid.

Agreed. It's not so unreasonable. TB has been picking in the top 5 for about the past 10 or so years. Where has it got them. Some teams just don't know how to draft and even if you are picking in the high five that doesn't guarantee you anything. Mike Wallace is a sure thing. He's a big play machine. If you got the QB who can throw the long ball, Mike Wallace is instant offense and ready to step in and be your number one receiver... TB has a boatload of money too. They need to do something different.

winwithd
03-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Mike Wallace was a sure what, the second half of the season? Decoy? Non-factor?

If we could get the number 5 pick for him I'd try to package it with some of our other picks to move around to get Glen and DeCastro. #5 and #24 equal # 11 and #12. We might not have to go that high to get both of them so we might pick up some later picks. Then address the defense or maybe trade our 2 and 3 to move up and take Fleener.

I dont think the FO likes to move around that much so they probably wouldn't do something like that. But it would sure up the line for the rest of Ben's career.

Gilbert, DeCastro, Pouncey, Colon, Glen - Legs and Foster in reserve, with Miller, Saunders, and Fleener at TE

squidkid
03-03-2012, 09:50 PM
if wallace did so much for this offense, why again did we rank 21st in scoring?

Steelers>NFL
03-03-2012, 11:41 PM

:Agree
^x2

williar
03-04-2012, 08:26 PM

You know, I would say the same thing for our QB. If he's elite, why can't we put points on the board. But that doesn't stop many from believing he's great....Go figure....

I guess that is one of the reasons Arians is in Indy right now...

SS Laser
03-05-2012, 12:07 AM

You know, I would say the same thing for our QB. If he's elite, why can't we put points on the board. But that doesn't stop many from believing he's great....Go figure....

Ben hurt, Wallace double covered?, bad offensive line and bad play calling all was the reason for 21st in scoring. Even if you are a Ben hater you have to say he is a top 10 QB right now. And yes I think Wallace is a top 10'ish.

But I still agree with most on here that Wallace has holes in his game. And what if no deal can be worked out next year and he walks for nothing. I would like him to stay but would not be sad if we get the 5th overall pick.

skyhawk
03-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Wallace is still young. He can still improve, no?

So he was invisible the last half of the season. He was flat out dominant the first half. Top 5 picks in the 1st round scare me. They can be home runs or they can be turds. We know what we have in Wallace.

SS Laser
03-05-2012, 03:39 AM

So he was invisible the last half of the season. He was flat out dominant the first half. Top 5 picks in the 1st round scare me. They can be home runs or they can be turds. We know what we have in Wallace.

Thats why most here want the 5th pick then trade back. More high picks the better. Also with more picks the Steelers could move around in rd 2 or 3 if need be.

Wallace will stay for this year at least I think.

Oviedo
03-05-2012, 10:00 AM

Thats why most here want the 5th pick then trade back. More high picks the better. Also with more picks the Steelers could move around in rd 2 or 3 if need be.

Wallace will stay for this year at least I think.

Any 1st Round pick for Wallace would be great for this team given our needs. Like I said before, if Wallace is looking for Top 5 WR money then hope that someone signs him and be thankful for the pick because we won't pay him that kind of money and he doesn't deserve it.

WR is not a difficult position to treplenish talent wise.

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2012, 02:51 PM
If we could get the number 5 pick for him I'd try to package it with some of our other picks to move around to get Glen and DeCastro. #5 and #24 equal # 11 and #12. We might not have to go that high to get both of them so we might pick up some later picks.

The whole idea of getting the #5 pick is silly to begin with, but anyway, how exactly do you turn the #5 pick and the #24 pick into the #11 and #12 pick? The Chiefs and Seahawks are intereseted in what percentage of each of those picks they would get in return. Perhaps if Morris Claiborne gets taken at #5 and Dont'a Hightower gets taken at #24, the Chiefs would get Claiborne for 9 games per year and Hightower for 7 games per year, with the Seahawks getting Hightower for 9 and Claiborne for 7. That's fair, right? :lol:

squidkid
03-05-2012, 04:12 PM

i'll give ben a pass because of his injury. the same injured qb was throwimng the ball to wallace and brown the second half of the season, only 1 produced

skyhawk
03-05-2012, 05:30 PM

i'll give ben a pass because of his injury. the same injured qb was throwimng the ball to wallace and brown the second half of the season, only 1 produced

Wow. Ben injured? Gee, I wonder why?

SS Laser
03-06-2012, 03:26 AM
Ok another thread came up with this idea.
If Tampa wants Wallace and trades out of the 5th pick with someone and drops back to there pick what is a realistic slot for them to drop back to from the 5th pick (1700 points)? Anyone good at the trade values to give us a good idea? I am just curious at this point.

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Ok another thread came up with this idea.
If Tampa wants Wallace and trades out of the 5th pick with someone and drops back to there pick what is a realistic slot for them to drop back to from the 5th pick (1700 points)? Anyone good at the trade values to give us a good idea? I am just curious at this point.

If the Bengals wanted to move up to get Trent Richardson to replace Cedric Benson (remember Cincy DC Mike Zimmer was on the Cowboys back in their Aikman-Irvin-Smith triplets heyday...Cincy might want their own young talented QB-WR-RB triumvirate with Dalton-Green-Richardson), they could give Tampa their two first round picks at #17 (950) and 21 (800).