PDA

View Full Version : Great quote from Aaron Smith

D Rock
03-02-2012, 05:48 PM
When asked if he would try to play with another team if let go by the Steelers:

“To (change teams) now would just taint the whole idea of being a Steeler,” Smith said. “You’re not really playing for the money at this point. How much is enough?”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... lers-moves (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ak3bY8X9tICkbugownl8B9pDubYF?slug=ap-steelers-moves)

That's what's up. I hope Hines and Farrior are listening when Smith talks.

SteelBucks
03-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Especially Hines....

Steelgal
03-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Indeed, a great quote!

Joey Porter was one of my favorite defensive players in recent years for the Steelers. When he left the Steelers, it was harder for me than with most other players. To see him go to Miami, then Arizona and not do much was too bad. Not every player can go out like Jerome or Elway, but moving to a few teams towards the end isn't the way to go out either.

pick6
03-02-2012, 06:49 PM

“To (change teams) now would just taint the whole idea of being a Steeler,” Smith said. “You’re not really playing for the money at this point. How much is enough?”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... lers-moves (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ak3bY8X9tICkbugownl8B9pDubYF?slug=ap-steelers-moves)

I kinda get this, yet to put this on other people at different points in their careers, as if they have to tow some amorphous company line, simply lacks intellect and fairness.
No matter what you or I think, Hines and Farrior might think they still have something left to give. I personally think Farrior is toast, and Hines has 1 year left but only with the Steelers but its about what they want to do. We must understand the desire in a man to leave it all out on the field. Hines is not a sheep, he hasn't come this far just to walk away, this guy wants to be carried off the field. I dont like it but I understand. If a guy doesn't want to stop playing but the Steelers think they cant use him anymore, he's supposed to stop living his dream to appease someone elses mythical understanding of what a Steeler is. Seriously. Hines, Farrior, and Aaron will always be Steelers to most of us.

And Im somewhat surprised at Aaron if he really said this because he has much less us a chance of being picked up by another team. So it seems a bit disingenuous to talk about "tainting" his Steeler legacy when no one will pick him up anyway. He has no option but to retire. He's been done for a while now, can you imagine if at the time when he first got hurt 2-3 years ago and if the Steelers told him, "Hey Aaron, we're going in another direction", do you really think he would be talking about this tainted legacy stuff. Heck no. He'd be on the Tampa freaking Bay Bucs as we speak, trying to play out the last drop of football in his body.

Aaron, everybodys with you already. No need to pull out the great American hero lines because you end up throwing your buddies under the bus if they want to do something else. If Im wrong let me know but please stick to what I said and don't put words in my post that are not there. GO STEELERS

Chucktownsteeler
03-02-2012, 06:58 PM

Thanks for all the memories, Aaron. A true class act!

:tt2

SteelBucks
03-02-2012, 07:00 PM
And Im somewhat surprised at Aaron if he really said this because he has much less us a chance of being picked up by another team.

I believe it. Smith has said publicly, many times the past few years, that he will never play for another team other than the Steelers (Hoke has said the same). I don't think it's disingenuous, just one player stating his opinion.

pick6
03-02-2012, 07:34 PM
And Im somewhat surprised at Aaron if he really said this because he has much less us a chance of being picked up by another team.

I believe it. Smith has said publicly, many times the past few years, that he will never play for another team other than the Steelers (Hoke has said the same). I don't think it's disingenuous, just one player stating his opinion.

Fair enough, I believe you. I just can't see Aaron pre injury, getting released by us and hanging up the cleats at 28 years old. For him to say he would never play for another team is great but I think these comments came at a time when he was under contract for the last years of his career and while he was suffering from an injury where there are doubts as to his ability to play effectively again thus precluding his real world marketability. Its easy to say you would never play for another team when you're at the end of the rode anyway. I just saying that its really not as altruistic as some of our Steeler brethren might imagine.

To your point Aaron may have just been expressing himself. Just don't want to hear all the crap about Hines should do this or that, and his legacy is tainted.

SteelBucks
03-02-2012, 07:38 PM

Fair enough, I believe you. I just can't see Aaron pre injury, getting released by us and hanging up the cleats at 28 years old. For him to say he would never play for another team is great but I think these comments came at a time when he was under contract for the last years of his career and while he was suffering from an injury where there are doubts as to his ability to play effectively again thus precluding his real world marketability. Its easy to say you would never play for another team when you're at the end of the rode anyway. I just saying that its really not as altruistic as some of our Steeler brethren might imagine.

To your point Aaron may have just been expressing himself. Just don't want to hear all the crap about Hines should do this or that, and his legacy is tainted.

I agree and don't think Hines' legacy will be tainted if he continues to play. The one thing I don't want to see is a broken down Hines hanging on well past his prime. I saw it with Franco in Seattle and Webster in KC....it wasn't pretty.

pick6
03-02-2012, 07:54 PM

I agree and don't think Hines' legacy will be tainted if he continues to play. The one thing I don't want to see is a broken down Hines hanging on well past his prime. I saw it with Franco in Seattle and Webster in KC....it wasn't pretty.

Yeah I guess that would suck. But todays NFL won't allow it. Way to competitive to allow broken down guys to take up space. Every roster spot must be solid. I think I'm just really frustrated that he's not getting one more year. And for the record I don't look forward to him being in a Chiefs jersey a la Montana.

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2012, 10:00 PM

Thanks for all the memories, Aaron. A true class act!

:tt2

Aaron Smith has always been a true professional and will always be remembered as one of the greatest Pittsburgh Steelers ever! :tt2

flippy
03-02-2012, 11:02 PM
If Aaron Smith is being completely honest, why hasn't he retired?

I heard the Pats might be interested in Smith if he's still interested in playing.

D Rock
03-03-2012, 11:17 AM
If Aaron Smith is being completely honest, why hasn't he retired?

I heard the Pats might be interested in Smith if he's still interested in playing.

I don't think any of those guys have technically been released yet. Everything I've seen is that they are 'to be released' before March 13, but that it hasn't happened yet.

NorthCoast
03-04-2012, 04:24 PM

I find it surprising that some on this board have a hard time with understanding 'loyalty' or the fact that some people are not motivated by money as much as other leaving a legacy that honors an organization.

StarSpangledSteeler
03-05-2012, 09:59 AM

I kinda get this, yet to put this on other people at different points in their careers, as if they have to tow some amorphous company line, simply lacks intellect and fairness.
No matter what you or I think, Hines and Farrior might think they still have something left to give. I personally think Farrior is toast, and Hines has 1 year left but only with the Steelers but its about what they want to do. We must understand the desire in a man to leave it all out on the field. Hines is not a sheep, he hasn't come this far just to walk away, this guy wants to be carried off the field. I dont like it but I understand. If a guy doesn't want to stop playing but the Steelers think they cant use him anymore, he's supposed to stop living his dream to appease someone elses mythical understanding of what a Steeler is. Seriously. Hines, Farrior, and Aaron will always be Steelers to most of us.

And Im somewhat surprised at Aaron if he really said this because he has much less us a chance of being picked up by another team. So it seems a bit disingenuous to talk about "tainting" his Steeler legacy when no one will pick him up anyway. He has no option but to retire. He's been done for a while now, can you imagine if at the time when he first got hurt 2-3 years ago and if the Steelers told him, "Hey Aaron, we're going in another direction", do you really think he would be talking about this tainted legacy stuff. Heck no. He'd be on the Tampa freaking Bay Bucs as we speak, trying to play out the last drop of football in his body.

Aaron, everybodys with you already. No need to pull out the great American hero lines because you end up throwing your buddies under the bus if they want to do something else. If Im wrong let me know but please stick to what I said and don't put words in my post that are not there. GO STEELERS

That's not what Smith is saying. He understands just as well as you do that all players have the "right" to play somewhere else. He's saying what do you gain? What did Jerry Rice gain playing elsewhere the end of his career? What did Joe Montana gain? A couple more years of "fun" playing at a washed up level? The point Smith is making is that you have a bigger prize to lose. Aaron wanted to play for the Steelers one more year, just like Hines. That option was not a possibility. They both had a choice of trying to play elsewhere. But realized Smith there is a cost to be paid for that decision. He would be losing something greater. I respect him for that choice. As do many others on this board. You obviously do not. To each there own. But at least listen to what Smith is saying and don't put words in his mouth. At no time did he say Hines doesn't have the right to play elsewhere. It just dampens his legacy slightly as a Steeler. Which I believe is true.

feltdizz
03-05-2012, 10:25 AM

That's not what Smith is saying. He understands just as well as you do that all players have the "right" to play somewhere else. He's saying what do you gain? What did Jerry Rice gain playing elsewhere the end of his career? What did Joe Montana gain? A couple more years of "fun" playing at a washed up level? The point Smith is making is that you have a bigger prize to lose. Aaron wanted to play for the Steelers one more year, just like Hines. That option was not a possibility. They both had a choice of trying to play elsewhere. But realized Smith there is a cost to be paid for that decision. He would be losing something greater. I respect him for that choice. As do many others on this board. You obviously do not. To each there own. But at least listen to what Smith is saying and don't put words in his mouth. At no time did he say Hines doesn't have the right to play elsewhere. It just dampens his legacy slightly as a Steeler. Which I believe is true.

I don't think it dampens a legacy to play for another team when you get to the end of your career. I understand the whole loyalty, fan angle but some guys have that itch and won't be able to live with themselves unless they scratch it before they retire.

Hines may suit up and have an awful year... or he may suit up and put up stats that show why he will be in the HOF.

Nothing wrong with a player having that competitive fire and wanting to prove the naysayers wrong. I think these guys gain a sense of closure and going out on their terms and not the teams. I think most players at the end of their career understand a FO moving on... but I also think we need to understand these guys want to call it quits when they want to call it quits and not when the Steelers pull the plug.

I'm getting older so maybe I'm misremembering but I could have swore Montana beat Young when he went to KC. I'm sure Montana remembers that day and looks back with fond memories...

I understand what you are saying about Aaron Smith but his last 3 years here dampened his legacy as well. I could see if A. Smith was benched for performance but 16 games in the last 3 years is a hard sell when it comes to asking why Hines or Rice didn't retire when they were let go by their respected franchises.

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm getting older so maybe I'm misremembering but I could have swore Montana beat Young when he went to KC. I'm sure Montana remembers that day and looks back with fond memories...

Your memory is not as bad as you thought:

San Francisco 49ers (17) at Kansas City Chiefs (24)

Sunday, September 11, 1994

Steve Young 24-34 for 288 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT

Joe Montana 19-31 for 203 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199409110kan.htm

feltdizz
03-05-2012, 01:25 PM
That was the game Young tied it late and Montana drove them down in the last minute and threw a TD in the right front corner of the end zone.

Don't know why but I'll never forget the way that game ended...

pick6
03-05-2012, 01:26 PM

I find it surprising that some on this board have a hard time with understanding 'loyalty' or the fact that some people are not motivated by money as much as other leaving a legacy that honors an organization.

If you actually read my post you will see how it is made clear as day that Aaron decision has less to do with loyalty than it has to do with the reality that HE WILL PROBABLY NOT BE PICKED UP BY ANOTHER TEAM. Somebody mentioned 16 games in 3 seasons not because he lost his job but because of repeated injury. And all of this at the twilight of his career. He is done. So for him to come out and try to say he will not play for another team is ridiculous. After all you have seen in this league with the lock out and the way things are done in professional sports, to come out and talk about loyalty is childish. This is business. Are the Steelers being disloyal because they cut our favorite players, no, they have that right. But then you seem to think its OK to question a players loyalty if he decides to keep playing after the team cuts him. The pinnacle of contradiction. Absolutely amazing.

"He is not motivated by money." Are you serious. I need to see some ID. This is exactly what I was trying to prevent the guys from going down this misguided rode. Once again, if Smith was cut during the height of his strength he would be going to another team. To play......for millions. No problem, its just that simple. For some, this is difficult to understand because they have a predetermined would view that doesn't allow them to face reality that opposes this view.

Aaron Smith is not some angel sent down from heaven who at the height of his career was cut by the Steelers and out of loyalty to the organization and fans, and forsaking millions decided to hang it up because he just couldn't taint his legacy.
No, Aaron is a great Steeler who is hanging it up because he is done and the rest of the league and his agent thinks that he is done.

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2012, 01:30 PM
That was the game Young tied it late and Montana drove them down in the last minute and threw a TD in the right front corner of the end zone.

Okay, maybe the memory's not so good after all. :wink:

San Fran was up 14-9 at the half. In the 3rd quarter, a Montana TD to Keith Cash (plus a 2 point conversion pass from Montana to J.J. Birden) put the Chiefs up 17-14, and then a Marcus Allen TD run later in the 3rd quarter extended the Chiefs' lead to 24-14. Doug Brien's chip-shot FG was the only scoring in the 4th quarter...24-17 final.

ikestops85
03-05-2012, 01:47 PM

San Fran was up 14-9 at the half. In the 3rd quarter, a Montana TD to Keith Cash (plus a 2 point conversion pass from Montana to J.J. Birden) put the Chiefs up 17-14, and then a Marcus Allen TD run later in the 3rd quarter extended the Chiefs' lead to 24-14. Doug Brien's chip-shot FG was the only scoring in the 4th quarter...24-17 final.

I like Felt's ending better. :lol:

feltdizz
03-05-2012, 01:57 PM

yeah.. i guess I pushed it a little too far. Well, I'll never forget the TD in the front right corner of the endzone... I just have to remember who it was too and who it was against. :lol:

feltdizz
03-05-2012, 02:04 PM
If you actually read my post you will see how it is made clear as day that Aaron decision has less to do with loyalty than it has to do with the reality that HE WILL PROBABLY NOT BE PICKED UP BY ANOTHER TEAM. Somebody mentioned 16 games in 3 seasons not because he lost his job but because of repeated injury. And all of this at the twilight of his career. He is done. So for him to come out and try to say he will not play for another team is ridiculous. After all you have seen in this league with the lock out and the way things are done in professional sports, to come out and talk about loyalty is childish. This is business. Are the Steelers being disloyal because they cut our favorite players, no, they have that right. But then you seem to think its OK to question a players loyalty if he decides to keep playing after the team cuts him. The pinnacle of contradiction. Absolutely amazing.

"He is not motivated by money." Are you serious. I need to see some ID. This is exactly what I was trying to prevent the guys from going down this misguided rode. Once again, if Smith was cut during the height of his strength he would be going to another team. To play......for millions. No problem, its just that simple. For some, this is difficult to understand because they have a predetermined would view that doesn't allow them to face reality that opposes this view.

Aaron Smith is not some angel sent down from heaven who at the height of his career was cut by the Steelers and out of loyalty to the organization and fans, and forsaking millions decided to hang it up because he just couldn't taint his legacy.
No, Aaron is a great Steeler who is hanging it up because he is done and the rest of the league and his agent thinks that he is done.

great post!!!

I understand what Aaron Smith is saying but he isn't in a position to put that out there like that...

16 games in 3 seasons... one could say Aaron Smith was just as "selfish" as these other players who want to keep playing.

He also said he was willing to take a pay cut to stay with the team when he thought he was on the chopping block last season.

I don't think he meant any ill will towards Hines with that statement...

pick6
03-05-2012, 02:13 PM

Another poster has already exposed the fallcies upon which you base your feckless ideas. But I will reiterate. Montana and Rice went to the playoffs with the Chiefs and Raiders respectively. You say, "They both had a choice of trying to play elsewhere." They could both try but Aaron will not be picked up as he has spent the majority of the last 3YEARS injured and in street clothes. So to say that the options are the same for both players is completely false. You continue to drink the kool aid by thinking that his decision was based on having the same realistic chioce as Hines. You really think Aaron had a decision to make. Im just not so sure. Your acting like he's rejecting something that in realty he DOES NOT HAVE, a chance to play for another team. He hasn't really played in 3 years. You guys really need your heros and to elevate people beyond what is due. Then you like to castigate others based on your silly and contradictory views about loyalty and legacy. For whatever its worth, I respect Aaron's decision to retire, but I know as a thinking person that he really had no choice.

You tell me not to put words in Aaron's mouth when I have never done this in any post. I never said that he said Hines doesn't have a right to play. Are you kidding. Please qoute me on that. You can't.

You have every right to live in this fantasy world of loyalty to football teams who cut you, and 80 year old men in traction lamenting about retiring and never playing for another team, "To hell with the money and the fame", Im a Steeler forever, dag nabbit, Rah rah rah.
"But hey dude, nobody was going to hire you anyway, you probably couldn't pass a team physical."

"Hey, be quiet, the sheep need heros to exalt and lesser thans to loathe and degrade."

Hines' legacy isn't changed in the least, whatever he decides.

hawaiiansteel
03-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Aaron Smith Had the Perfect Attitude for a 3/4 Defensive End

by Anthony Defeo on Mar 7, 2012

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/3289469/67215_Aaron_Smith.jpg

"He'll go out the way he went in -- wearing camouflage, and being the great guy he always was, with no attention drawn to him. That's who he is. No matter what happens, there will never be an announcement. Aaron is class and humility. The mere thought of drawing attention to himself is contrary to everything he stands for."

That is a quote from Aaron Smith's agent in a Post Gazette article announcing Smith's release after 13 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

That pretty much sums up who Aaron Smith was as a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Ever see the movie Reckless starring Aidan Quinn and Daryl Hannah? Probably not--not too many people have--but in the beginning of the film, Quinn's character, a fullback on his high school football team, throws a key block that springs the star running back for the winning touchdown. After the play is over, fans and teammates rush into the end zone to mob the running back while Quinn's character sat all alone up field, his contributions to the play going completely unnoticed.

The pretty much sums up what it must be like to be a 3/4 defensive end in the NFL--occupy as many blockers as possible so the linebackers can make the sacks and get the glory--and that's why Aaron Smith was the perfect man for the job. Not only did he play his position better than just about anyone during most of his career, he handled the lack of notoriety that is typical for a 3/4 defensive end better than anyone could possibly imagine.

Can you imagine being the best at what you do and not getting noticed for it? I know I couldn't handle it. When I do something great in one of my recreational sports that I play, I write entire blogs about it and make sure that everyone and their mother knows about my accomplishments.

Smith played football at the highest level and excelled. Yet, during an era when touchdown celebrations are planned in advance and sack dances are almost expected, Smith only cared about doing his job and putting his team first.

As our own Neal Coolong mentioned last week in his article following Smith's release, this character trait was evident many years ago when Neal went to cover one of Smith's college games. After the game, when Neal interviewed Smith, he asked him about his draft prospects, and Smith said, "I'm not worried about the draft right now, I'm just playing this season, helping our team win."

At the time, one might think that Smith was just saying all the right things, but he carried that character trait with him to the pro level, and his "team-first" attitude never wavered one time with the Steelers.

For as good as Aaron Smith was, he only made one Pro Bowl in his entire career. But if that bothered him, you would never know it.

Aaron Smith didn't care about the glory. He only cared about his team and representing the Steelers the best way he could.

Smith's teammates recognized how important he was to their success, and that, and the way he carried himself throughout his career, is why he was so beloved and respected in the Steelers locker room.

One could make a case that Aaron Smith was the most important piece to the Steelers recent championship puzzle, at least on defense. In four of Smith's last five seasons, he missed a significant amount of time due to injury. However, the one season he didn't miss any significant time--2008--the Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII.

Smith was every bit as important to the team as Troy Polamalu, Ben Roethlisberger, James Harrison and Hines Ward.

Today, most Steelers fans realize what Smith meant to the Steelers organization, and how important he was to the team's recent Super Bowl success. Sadly, however, Smith's contributions might get lost over time due to the position that he played, and the lack of stats and splash plays that he was able to accumulate throughout his career.

Hopefully, Smith's legacy will be as big 30 years from now as it is today, and people will still remember just how important he was to this new golden era of Steelers football.

A few years ago, Stan Savran hosted a little Steelers tribute show on FSN, and many former Steelers greats were on-hand to share stories and talk about the glory days.

Stan shared the stage with Dan Rooney, Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris and "Mean" Joe Greene while the rest of the Steeler greats sat in the audience.

Maybe, years from now, if someone has a similar show, Aaron Smith will be one of the Steeler immortals lucky enough to be on stage because he would deserve to be. Knowing the kind of man Aaron Smith is, however, he'd probably be just as happy sitting in the back-row, watching his teammates bask in the glory.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... ensive-end (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/3/7/2852084/aaron-smith-had-the-perfect-attitude-for-a-3-4-defensive-end)