aggiebones
03-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Will we lose 'it' with the loss of this list:

Ward
Farrior
Hoke
ASmith
Starks?

Hopefully some of the 4-6 year veterans on the team are picking up the history and meaning of being a Steeler to pass it down.
We don't want to go through a similar meltdown in the 80s.

Very soon ... (1-2 yr)
Troy
Clark
Ike
Harrison
Keisel
Hampton
...Will be leaving the defense. I understand the need to get younger, but this is a purge of epic proportions.

I'm VERY worried.

flippy
03-02-2012, 01:02 PM
I've been concerned since the way they treated Max last offseason.

The thing that worries me most is the people that are left have to see the manner in which the team let go of guys. And the reality of the business can quickly take precedence over the game of football.

Granted, it will motivate some to be better. But it will stick in the mind of all.

rpmpit
03-02-2012, 01:07 PM
http://www.doggiestylish.com/store/images/wordpress/uploads/2011/11/110-zoolander_mugatu_crazy_pills.jpg

focosteeler
03-02-2012, 01:21 PM

Ward
Farrior
Hoke
ASmith
Starks?

Hopefully some of the 4-6 year veterans on the team are picking up the history and meaning of being a Steeler to pass it down.

Very soon ... (1-2 yr)
Troy
Clark
Ike
Harrison
Keisel
Hampton
...Will be leaving the defense. I understand the need to get younger, but this is a purge of epic proportions.

I'm VERY worried.

:Agree I am worried as well. But its not like we didnt know it was coming eventually. We were lucky to get a group of guys like that to stay together like they did. Hopefully we can have a great draft this year and next year

Dee Dub
03-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Not me. I am excited. To me these guys...

Ward
Farrior
ASmith
Kemo

..where holding the Steelers back (last year).

This is a step in the right direction for the Steelers. And I am embracing it.

RuthlessBurgher
03-02-2012, 01:38 PM
True, we are losing leadership. But in terms of on the field production right now, what are we losing?

Farrior was the only starter of the group, but he was splitting snaps with Foote and was only a shell of his former self. We are left with Timmons, Foote, Sylvester, Ivy inside...I hate mentioning the possibility of a rookie draft pick as well and having this morph into yet another "massive brilliance" thread.

Ward was our #5 wideout at the end of the year last year. Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and hopefully Cotchery here.

Smith's been injured for all but a few games for the last 3 seasons. Keisel, Hood, Heyward.

Hoke's been a solid backup, but fell behind McLendon and was injured. Hampton, McLendon.

Kemoeatu was a long time starter, but mistake after mistake led to him falling behind the likes of UDFA's like Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster. An upgrade will be needed here, but of all of the guys listed, Kemoeatu will not be missed...he is the only one who departs without leaving fond memories.

Although most of these guys were great players in their prime and solid leaders to the end, the truth is that at this point in their careers they were overpriced aging backups. It happens. The guys who will (or have already) replaced them, will improve upon their performance on the field.

jerseyfresh
03-02-2012, 01:39 PM
:Agree Amen Dee Dub!

Oviedo
03-02-2012, 01:41 PM
I have no worries at all because I trust the best organization in football. Everyone of these guys they are releasing replaced someone at one time. Their time just came and be honest, for several it was past due!!

Instead of angst, I'm really excited about this because it is opportunity!! We have players who now can prove that they really belong and I'm excited for them. If they don't meet the standard then they will be replaced too.

Fixing the cap situation was imperitive if we are going to retain good young players and possibly add more pieces that we need. For too long we flirted with being at the limit of the cap every year to keep established veterans. I'm gald they are doing this in one big chop versus a thousand cuts of the knife.

May we take a step back? Sure, but if it sets us up for two steps forward than it is the right thing to so.

Dee Dub
03-02-2012, 01:41 PM
True, we are losing leadership. But in terms of on the field production right now, what are we losing?

Farrior was the only starter of the group, but he was splitting snaps with Foote and was only a shell of his former self. We are left with Timmons, Foote, Sylvester, Ivy inside...I hate mentioning the possibility of a rookie draft pick as well and having this morph into yet another "massive brilliance" thread.

Ward was our #5 wideout at the end of the year last year. Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and hopefully Cotchery here.

Smith's been injured for all but a few games for the last 3 seasons. Keisel, Hood, Heyward.

Hoke's been a solid backup, but fell behind McLendon and was injured. Hampton, McLendon.

Kemoeatu was a long time starter, but mistake after mistake led to him falling behind the likes of UDFA's like Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster. An upgrade will be needed here, but of all of the guys listed, Kemoeatu will not be missed...he is the only one who departs without leaving fond memories.

Although most of these guys were great players in their prime and solid leaders to the end, the truth is that at this point in their careers they were overpriced aging backups. It happens. The guys who will (or have already) replaced them, will improve upon their performance on the field.

:Clap

Great post Ruthless.

Chucktownsteeler
03-02-2012, 02:39 PM

:Agree

TallyStiller
03-03-2012, 12:53 AM
Last time the Steeler franchise had a long run of excellence, the powers that be fell in love with the guys who brought them there... and Joe Greene, Mel Blount, LC Greenwood, Jack Lambert, Terry Bradshaw, et al. played out their injury filled declining years in Pittsburgh for sentimental reasons. The result was a whole bunch of mediocre to downright bad football during what amounted to a lost decade in the 1980's. I like to think some in the braintrust who witnessed these events learned from them.

Chadman
03-03-2012, 02:34 AM
While it's certainly true that the transition from old to new has to happen- having it happen in such a short timeframe will certainly effect the locker room leadership of this group.

Wouldn't surprise Chadman if a majority of our draft picks this season have "team captain" or "team leader" written in their college bios...

Steelerphile
03-03-2012, 05:54 AM
This is step one. I'm not surprised at any of these cuts. I would have been more than surprised if they had been kept for another season. Maybe, I thought they might give Ward another year, but the rest had to go. Most of these guys were on the roster for past performances, not what they did last year.

The next step will be determined by how the younger players left on the roster develop, and who they draft and bring in. If things go well the Steelers will still be the Steelers and be one of the best teams in the AFC. I do think they have a good eye for talent. It will just be a matter of the talent getting playing time much sooner than normally has been the case.

Snatch98
03-03-2012, 06:56 AM

Ward
Farrior
Hoke
ASmith
Starks?

Very soon ... (1-2 yr)
Troy
Clark
Ike
Harrison
Keisel
Hampton

I'm VERY worried.

I'm not worried. We've been gradually working our way through the roster drafting replacements for the aging positions. As long as Colbert and Co. continue to hit through the draft we'll continue to restock. We've got two young LB's and Harrison is still capable of playing at an elite level. Our defensive line is restocked outside of Hampton and who knows maybe Hood bounces inside to the nose. We have several young corners, 3 young wr's. Our offensive line is getting younger and will continue to get younger. I'd say by the time your second wave is getting ready to hang em up we'll be getting restocked there as well. The Steelers draft far too well and we have youth at all the right positions. I don't foresee a fall off anytime soon.

TallyStiller
03-03-2012, 09:03 AM
As long as #7 is lining up behind center, this is a potential playoff team for each of the next 5 to 7 seasons. The question isn't if, it's how deep... and turning the roster over now means the team rebuilds on the fly without taking a significant step backwards in the W - L record, just like New England and Baltimore have done the last few years, plus it means getting back in position to contend for more Lombardis before Ben is gone.

NorthCoast
03-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Aaron Smith said it right: "they will have to tell me when it is time to go, because I probably won't know that time".

Many players, and people in general, try to hold onto their dream jobs as long as they can even though they know at the end they are not the same player they once were. There is no easy or pleasant way to let go a dedicated employee. In the professional athlete world it usually comes down to money, but sometimes about production (or more precisely 'productivity').

As many of you pointed out, many of these cuts were coming because the productivity just wasn't there anymore. With millions at stake, no team can afford the luxury of carrying these salaries. Look where Peyton Manning is today...

Tomlinator
03-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Well, a sad couple of days to see the old guard sent off like that, but most knew it was coming sooner rather than later. Like taking off a bandaid, you know it'll probably sting so best to tear it off quick.

Great memories of some great Steelers is something we can all share. Lets hope the next group can give us many more.

Now, what I cant find is where exactly are the Steelers with the cap?

Starlifter
03-04-2012, 01:29 AM
it was a great core group of players and we road that train probably longer than we should have expected. It's been dang near a decade. In the NFL that's pretty amazing. truth be told they were starting on the downside 2 years ago - but they showed character and drive and with a little luck put it all together for one last failed shot at a 3rd lombardi. tomlin knew he needed to get younger - but how do you make a purge after an appearance in the SB?

no surprise here - and no regrets. this was a great era of steeler football. it's just as likely the next great era is about to start. we win 11-12 games and make a run, and no one will be talking about this purge anymore.

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Well, a sad couple of days to see the old guard sent off like that, but most knew it was coming sooner rather than later. Like taking off a bandaid, you know it'll probably sting so best to tear it off quick.

Great memories of some great Steelers is something we can all share. Lets hope the next group can give us many more.

Don't know the exact numbers, but I believe all of the restructures and anticipated cuts will bring us from around $25 million over the cap to nearly $10 million under the cap (which we'll certainly need to extend Wallace, tender our other RFA's, and hopefully make a reasonable offer to retain Cotchery). It remains to be seen if any additional housecleaning will need to be done in order to eventially sign our draft picks.

hawaiiansteel
03-07-2012, 02:11 AM
Larry Foote understands why his friends are leaving

Monday, March 05, 2012
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers linebacker Larry Foote started the cell phone conversation on a sad note by saying "all my friends are leaving." He called the team's termination last week of Hines Ward, Aaron Smith and best pal James Farrior "devastating." Then, he put into poignant words the agony a veteran player experiences when his team sets aside all sentimentality -- as it must -- and makes a purely business decision. "We're all grown men, but we've been lucky enough to make a good living playing a kids' game. Most of us have been playing since we were 8 years old. When they tell you it's time to hang up your cleats, it's tough."

It's the brutal reality of professional sports.

No one plays forever.

"I know my day is coming, too," Foote said.

Maybe next offseason.

Foote appears to have survived this Steelers' purge. He is expected to take over Farrior's inside linebacker spot, which the two shared last season. He would call the defensive signals and make sure everyone is lined up properly.

"Without a doubt, I can do it. My play speaks for itself," said Foote, who, at 31, is 5 1/2 years younger than Farrior. "I'm sure they'll draft a young guy and there will be a lot of competition. That's fine. I can hold my own."

Foote made the same prediction about the Steelers defense. "We're still going to have a talented team, without a doubt. We were the No. 1 defense in the league last season. I don't know why people forget that."

I'm not sure I'm buying what Foote is selling there. That defense gave up a 92-yard drive in the final 2 1/2 minutes to the Baltimore Ravens in a killer loss at Heinz Field and allowed the NFL's worst quarterback -- Denver's Tim Tebow -- to throw for 316 yards and two touchdowns in the playoffs. I'm also not sure the leadership void left by the departures of Ward, Smith and Farrior will be easy to fill. "We've got a bunch of leaders," Foote insisted. "The young guys have to step up and take a bigger role. I've got to step up."

Foote said he was prepared for Smith to retire because he had major neck surgery in October, the fourth time in five years that Smith's season ended prematurely because of an injury. But the news about Ward and Farrior hit him hard. "We're entering uncharted water now. Hines has been around since '98, Farrior since 2002. Man, I've been with those guys for 10 years. There never will be a time in my life again that I spend so much time with a group of guys. It's going to be different."

Not having Farrior on the team will be especially difficult for Foote. "I'm definitely going to miss him. You know how good people are good people? He's good people. Everybody liked him. He's 37, but he acted like he's 15. And I mean that in a good way."

Foote said it wasn't awkward being in a battle with Farrior for one roster spot. "We both understand it's a business. We heard talk they had to do stuff for the salary cap and to sign other players. This is how it played out."

Ward has said he hopes to play next season. Farrior said many times that the Steelers "will have to drag me out of here to get rid of me" -- which they did -- and believes he still can play. But he might not want to start over with another team. "I just talked to him about it for a minute," Foote said. "He's not sure what he's going to do. I'm sure he'll make up his mind in the next few weeks. If he wants to play, I have no doubt he can do it. I didn't see any drop off in his play last season."

Foote said it would be strange to see Ward and perhaps Farrior in another uniform. But he said they always will be remembered fondly as Steelers.

"It's like the guys from the '70s, their names are always remembered for football around here," Foote said. "We didn't quite reach that level as a team, but those three guys will be at the top of the list when it comes to great players in the Steelers organization. That's the way you want to go out."

Foote ended the conversation on a happier note by talking about the birth of his fourth child. "He was born at halftime of the Super Bowl. His timing was perfect. He came out right before Madonna came out."

You'll never guess the baby boy's name.

Trammell, after former Detroit Tigers shortstop Alan Trammell.

"I just always really liked him," said Foote, who grew up in Detroit and still lives there.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Can Farrior Foote be far behind?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12065/12 ... z1oPAtEuIU (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12065/1214566-87-0.stm#ixzz1oPAtEuIU)

RuthlessBurgher
03-07-2012, 01:25 PM

Don't know the exact numbers, but I believe all of the restructures and anticipated cuts will bring us from around $25 million over the cap to nearly $10 million under the cap (which we'll certainly need to extend Wallace, tender our other RFA's, and hopefully make a reasonable offer to retain Cotchery). It remains to be seen if any additional housecleaning will need to be done in order to eventially sign our draft picks.

Peter King included the following in his MMQB this week:

Factoid of the Week That May Interest Only Me

Call it the Month of Living Dangerously for the Pittsburgh Steelers. A month ago, on Super Bowl Sunday, they were $25 million over the projected 2012 salary cap. This morning, they are approximately $12 million under.

How they got there: They shaved $25.86 million by restructuring contracts of five veterans -- Ben Roethlisberger ($8.03m savings), LaMarr Woodley ($6.56m), Lawrence Timmons ($5.14m), Ike Taylor ($3.28m) and Willie Colon ($2.85m). The Steelers then saved $14.26 million by cutting five players -- Hines Ward ($3.39m), James Farrior ($2.83m), Bryant McFadden ($2.50m), Chris Kemoeatu ($2.39m) and Aaron Smith ($2.11m).

Total cap savings in one month: $40.12 million.

But you say, If the Steelers were $25 million over the cap and they cut $40 million, why are they only $12 million under and not $15 million under? Do the math, King!

Because to replace the five players that were cut, the Steelers have to put five players in their place. The cap is based on the top 51-salaried players on your roster. So let's assume that the five new players on the cap --and I'm being generous here -- have second-year NFL minimum salaries of $540,000. (Some probably would have first-year numbers.) Those five players, combined, would make about $2.7 million total, meaning that you'd subtract that number from the cap savings of $40 million and come up with a number close to $37 million. That means they're about $12 million to the good, assuming there are no more re-signings or restructurings.

That doesn't mean the Steelers will be able to sign a lot of players, or any players, to improve their team. It does means the Steelers will have the money to sign their restricted and unrestricted free agents to the tender numbers they'll need to use. For instance, the first-round receiver tender on invaluable restricted free agent Mike Wallace is $2.75 million, meaning if a team signs him to a contract, the Steelers have the right to match the offer, and if they don't, the signing team would forfeit its first-round pick to Pittsburgh.

Could it happen? Theoretically yes. If the 49ers signed Wallace to a front-loaded five-year, $40 million contract, and the Steelers didn't match, the Steelers would either agree to pay Wallace an onerous contract that would force more cap restructuring, or get the Niners' first-round pick in this year's draft, the 30th overall.

In other words, the Steeler worries aren't over. Wallace is a 25-year-old speed demon with good hands who runs good routes and has been productive, averaging 57 catches and 18.7 yards per catch in his first three years as a Steeler.

http://www.cnnsi.com/2012/writers/peter_king/03/05/offseason/2.html