PDA

View Full Version : Farrior Released

phillyesq
03-02-2012, 11:50 AM
James Farrior is the next veteran Steeler to go
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 2, 2012, 10:45 AM EST

Getty ImagesThe Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported on Friday morning that the Steelers had cut roughly $37.4 million off their salary cap figure with all their restructuring and releases over the last few weeks.

On Friday morning, they lopped off even more money.

James Farrior’s agent Ralph Cindrich tweeted on Friday morning — in classic Cindrich style — that Farrior had been cut.

“JamesFarrior has been a rock for the #Steelers but the #Turk takes no prisoners-he’s gone, A not so Good Morning from Cali,” Cindrich wrote.

Farrior joins Hines Ward, defensive end Aaron Smith, and guard Chris Kemoeatu as freshly minted ex-Steelers.

Tough to see all these guys go.

Steelers>NFL
03-02-2012, 12:18 PM

Getty ImagesThe Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported on Friday morning that the Steelers had cut roughly $37.4 million off their salary cap figure with all their restructuring and releases over the last few weeks.

James Farrior’s agent Ralph Cindrich tweeted on Friday morning — in classic Cindrich style — that Farrior had been cut.

“JamesFarrior has been a rock for the #Steelers but the #Turk takes no prisoners-he’s gone, A not so Good Morning from Cali,” Cindrich wrote.

Farrior joins Hines Ward, defensive end Aaron Smith, and guard Chris Kemoeatu as freshly minted ex-Steelers.

It is tough. But at the same time, it was time... Now we await hopefully for an exciting future with a younger and faster team.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Good things don't last forever.

Great things come to an abrupt end.

That is the reason it hits so hard..."Great".

grotonsteel
03-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Ouch..Cuts are coming thick and fast. Steelers are getting younger which is good.
Casey Hampton could be next.

Best of Luck Potsie..one of the greatest Steelers LB.

flippy
03-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Another huge loss. Farrior was the heart of this defense. Thanks for the memories.

Even though he only looked 200 lbs at times, he was always the one Steeler that I wouldn't want to tackle me. He hit so hard. Seriously, I'd rather get sacked repeatedly by Harrison or sat on by Casey than to take a clean shot from Farrior.

This cut a day trend has to stop soon. I need some positive news out of this team.

Dee Dub
03-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Excuse me Mr. D.J.....can I get some Martha and the Vandella's?....

Callin' out around the world, are you ready for a brand new beat?
Spring is near and the time is right for dancin' in the street.
Dancin' in Pittsburgh (dancin' in the street)
Down in Mckeesport (dancin' in the street)
In Mt. Lebanon

All we need is music, sweet music,
There'll be music everywhere
There'll be swingin' swayin', and records playin,
Dancin' in the street

Oh it doesn't matter what jersey you wear, just as long as you are there.
So come on every guy, grab a Terrible Towel,
Everywhere, around the world

There'll be dancin', they're dancin' in the street.
This is an invitation, across the Steeler Nation,
A chance for folks to meet.
There'll be laughin' singin', and music swingin'
Dancin' in the street

:tt2

RuthlessBurgher
03-02-2012, 01:11 PM
For what it's worth, Dont'a Hightower has a LONG LONG way to go before he even sniffs Farrior's jock. Now is time for respecting the careers of longtime gridiron warriors, not celebrating some unknown future.

Ward, Smith, and Farrior were bedrocks of this recent amazing Steeler run (3 Super Bowl appearances and 2 rings in a 6 year period). All will be sorely missed.

Best Steeler signing ever in free agency...Insane Clown Potsie!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/MrChromey/potsie.jpg

Dee Dub
03-02-2012, 01:25 PM
For what it's worth, Dont'a Hightower has a LONG LONG way to go before he even sniffs Farrior's jock. Now is time for respecting the careers of longtime gridiron warriors, not celebrating some unknown future.

Ward, Smith, and Farrior were bedrocks of this recent amazing Steeler run (3 Super Bowl appearances and 2 rings in a 6 year period). All will be sorely missed.

No offense Ruthless, but you be a fan the way you want, and I will be a fan the way I want. There is not wrong way and no right way. I am a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers way over any one or two players. This to me is a day to celebrate. It is a step in the right direction.

I will honor James Farrior in my own way and respect the way you do it. But please dont try to tell me how to be a fan of a team I have been loyal to since 1972.

Peace.

Oviedo
03-02-2012, 01:31 PM

Tough, but necessary "Generational Change" that must happen if we are to get right for the future. These guys are part of the past.

Thanks for the memories but this is all about looking forward and not looking back. I respect the organization for swollowing this bitter pill in such a big way instead of trying to spread this out.

The way I see this is that those still on the roster will have lots of opportunity to prove themselevs instead of being blocked. It's up to them now to prove they belong or whether they too should be on the street.

Oviedo
03-02-2012, 01:33 PM

No offense Ruthless, but you be a fan the way you want, and I will be a fan the way I want. There is not wrong way and no right way. I am a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers way over any one or two players. This to me is a day to celebrate. It is a step in the right direction.

I will honor James Farrior in my own way and respect the way you do it. But please dont try to tell me how to be a fan of a team I have been loyal to since 1972.

Peace.

To paraphrase: It's about the shied on the side of the helmet not the name on the back of the jersey.

If the heroes of the 70s can move on so can any group of players. Players are temporary, the Steelers are forever.

Slapstick
03-02-2012, 01:34 PM

Peace.

If being a fan involves rejoicing when good people lose their jobs, you have a strange idea of being a fan.

Players being cut is a reality in the NFL. Acknowledging that is one thing. Rejoicing is a little sick.

squidkid
03-02-2012, 01:47 PM

Peace.

If being a fan involves rejoicing when good people lose their jobs, you have a strange idea of being a fan.

they lost their jobs because they didnt produce at the level of their pay...............it's their fault that they are umemployed. plus, those jobless ones have millions of dollars in the bank and never have to work again. sad to see them go but no sorry for them

Players being cut is a reality in the NFL. Acknowledging that is one thing. Rejoicing is a little sick.

Dee Dub
03-02-2012, 01:48 PM

Peace.

Negative. Those players hurt the Steelers last year. They didnt help them. I choose to rejoice.

Ok i'll say a little memorial for them if you think it will justify my fanship.

Bow your heads please. In the words of Cheech and Chong...

A philly me boney fabisco fa selimi for all his dominos.

Now let's move on.

Slapstick
03-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Nobody said "feel sorry for them".

I merely said, "it isn't a reason to celebrate."

But, you're right though. They should have found a way to retard their respective aging processes.

Slapstick
03-02-2012, 01:52 PM
I choose to rejoice.

And that is why you're a little bit messed up in the head.

I fully believe that you are a fan, so no need to justify anything to me.

But, among other things, it isn't very Christian to derive glee from the misfortunes of others...

flippy
03-02-2012, 01:53 PM
I think we can all agree we're celebrating that Kemo's gone.

Dee Dub
03-02-2012, 01:54 PM

Slap, you are a great poster and I respect you but your definition of "sick" is a little strange.

These are millionaires. I dont think they are going to suffer as result of being cut in the NFL, after all of them having long successful careers.

And if wanting my favorite team to be better is your definition of being sick...then sick I am.

squidkid
03-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Nobody said "feel sorry for them".

I merely said, "it isn't a reason to celebrate."

But, you're right though. They should have found a way to retard their respective aging processes.

nobody said 'should have found a way to retard their aging process' either.
they were productive players up until the last couple years and milked as much money out of the organization as they could during their time. it is now time to rejoice in the fact that the team will now find their replacements that will without a doubt be cheaper and more than likey be more productive......thast is reason enough to celebrate their release

Slapstick
03-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Okay. Whatever you say.

If you don't get it, no amount of explanation will do.

Carry on with the merry making...

Dee Dub
03-02-2012, 01:57 PM

Which is interesting in itself, how we can pick and choose who we feel deserves to be cut and be happy with it...but for the good players we cant.

How funny.

:lol:

feltdizz
03-02-2012, 01:59 PM

Which is interesting in itself, how we can pick and choose who we feel deserves to be cut and be happy with it...but for the good players we cant.

How funny.

this makes no sense at all...

unless you think Kemo was a good player :stirpot

squidkid
03-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Okay. Whatever you say.

If you don't get it, no amount of explanation will do.

Carry on with the merry making...

:roll:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-02-2012, 02:01 PM

I agree. I think Farrior & Hartings were the best FA signings.

Steelers>NFL
03-02-2012, 02:05 PM

R u a Juggalo?...

Dee Dub
03-02-2012, 02:09 PM
I choose to rejoice.

And that is why you're a little bit messed up in the head.

I fully believe that you are a fan, so no need to justify anything to me.

But, among other things, it isn't very Christian to derive glee from the misfortunes of others...

You are not understanding. My rejoice has nothing to do with these players. Yes I feel sadden by their leaving the Steelers. But my rejoicing is all about the Steelers being able to improve. That is not connected in any way with them having to find new jobs.

It is ok for anyone at any time to throw the "it isnt very Christian" thing in my face at any time. I can take it. See I actually understand what it means to be a Christian. The very first step is the understanding and acceptance that I am flawed. And always will be regardless of my hearing and accepting the call of Salvation (which you can find in Mark 16:16). That doesnt change by becoming a Christian. The Lord knows what is in my heart. See when I rejoiced over the Steeler cuts, He knew I meant no malice towards those who were cut.

flippy
03-02-2012, 02:10 PM

How funny.

It's really pretty simple. Hines, Aaron, and James brought me fond memories as I'm sure they did for many others. We'll always have a nostalgic connection with their past performance.

Kemo probably drove his own mother nuts as much as he drove us crazy.

At the end of the day we take pride as fans in winning, but we've really only won 6 out of 46 SuperBowls. That's 13%.

Reality is there is no real winners out there. There is no real consistency. There's just the competition and the game.

And if you don't enjoy the greatest of the competitors, is there any other joy to be found in the game.

I personally hate the business side of football. I just care about the game we played when we were kids.

Dee Dub
03-02-2012, 02:15 PM

How funny.

yes..it does. Some of those who are happy and rejoicing over Kemo being cut are the same ones who are offended by those who are happy to see the likes of Farrior, Hines, and Smith being cut.

If they are done and no longer a productive part of this team then who cares whether they were great or not so good?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-02-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm not rejoicing the cuts were made. I'm not upset they were made. I'm thankful for knowing all of them as a Steeler and what they did for me as a fan. I am also happy a new era is on the horizon where I will gain new heroes and watch my beloved Steelers rise to the top with fresh new faces. I can shake the hands and thank the ones who are leaving and quickly turn and shake the hands of the new ones coming in. My loyalty doesn't leave with them...It stays where it belongs...Whomever wears the black & yellow.

Dee Dub
03-02-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm not rejoicing the cuts were made. I'm not upset they were made. I'm thankful for knowing all of them as a Steeler and what they did for me as a fan. I am also happy a new era is on the horizon where I will gain new heroes and watch my beloved Steelers rise to the top with fresh new faces. I can shake the hands and thank the ones who are leaving and quickly turn and shake the hands of the new ones coming in. My loyalty doesn't leave with them...It stays where it belongs...Whomever wears the black & yellow.

Good post JPN. Here's how I feel using how you worded it and putting into my own words..

I am rejoicing the cuts were made. :tt1 I am totally not upset they were made. I'm thankful for knowing all of them as a Steeler and what they did for me as a fan.

feltdizz
03-02-2012, 02:46 PM
[quote=flippy]I think we can all agree we're celebrating that Kemo's gone.

How funny.

yes..it does. Some of those who are happy and rejoicing over Kemo being cut are the same ones who are offended by those who are happy to see the likes of Farrior, Hines, and Smith being cut.

If they are done and no longer a productive part of this team then who cares whether they were great or not so good?[/quote:i465qoxf]

I think Flippy said it best regarding the difference between Kemo and these other players.

steelblood
03-02-2012, 03:30 PM
http://www.geocities.ws/ktlola/zoolander1.jpg
You guys are really really good at giving a eugoogly

Djfan
03-02-2012, 03:35 PM
This thread reminds me of why I took a long time off.

Save the middle school stupid stuff for other boards.

That being said, this last cut SUCKS!!!

I think that Farrior's loss will be harder to replace than Ward's.

I guess I saw his last game live, too.

NC Steeler Fan
03-02-2012, 03:37 PM
I'll never forget seeing Farrior in that first Super Bowl documentary and that
catchy phrase on the sidelines he was heard saying...

The following year in training camp, I was on the field for Women's camp and
yelled out "LINEBACKERS GONE WILD!!" at the defense about 20 yards away.

Farrrior turned around and gave the thumbs up! :lol:

He had a great attitude at autographs sessions and was a really charismatic
player. I'll definitely miss him! :(

Slapstick
03-02-2012, 03:47 PM
I didn't do a happy dance when Kemo was released.

I certainly won't miss him but it doesn't bring me joy either...

SteelBucks
03-02-2012, 03:52 PM

:Agree

feltdizz
03-02-2012, 04:07 PM

I'm sorry but the Kemo cut brings me some joy... dude was getting Ben killed anytime there was a stunt and his 15 yard late hits were killing us.

I think the other 3 hurt because the chances of them playing again is slim to none... and no one wants to see Hines getting benched/smashed in a different uni.

Dee Dub
03-02-2012, 04:13 PM

That being said, this last cut SUCKS!!!

I think that Farrior's loss will be harder to replace than Ward's.

I guess I saw his last game live, too.

Sorry you feel this way Djfan. I am glad you are back. You are a solid poster but what you may think is stupid some may not. But I dont think you should be calling it middle school and suggest that some post on other boards just because you dont agree with it. This is just a football discussion board. It isnt a from of art, anything sophisticated, of higher learning, or anything to be taken all that serious. Chill and have some fun. And give your opinion any way you want. It's yours and it should be different from others. And vice versa.

Oh..I I disagree about Farrior. He really hurt the Steelers last year. It isnt going to be all that hard to replace him. He was once one of the best and I too will miss him but it is time to turn the page on him.

Peace.

Dee Dub
03-02-2012, 04:14 PM

I'm sorry but the Kemo cut brings me some joy... dude was getting Ben killed anytime there was a stunt and his 15 yard late hits were killing us.

I think the other 3 hurt because the chances of them playing again is slim to none... and no one wants to see Hines getting benched/smashed in a different uni.

Me too felt. I am very happy about it. This is like Kemo-therapy to me. :lol:

Lebsteel
03-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Some of you guys are just WAY too sensitive. I guess it could be the way you perceive every DD post as being bad, but I didn't take his post as being insensitive at all. He wasn't celebrating the demise of these great players, but merely looking forward to a bright future for the Steelers.

Smith, Farrior, Ward all needed to go, I would have hoped via retirement, but obviously they weren't interested in that route, so the Steelers did what they had to do and I applaude them for it. I'd let Hampton go as well.

GO STEELERS!! :tt2 :tt2

Chucktownsteeler
03-02-2012, 04:44 PM
This is the ugly, business side of football. He will be definately be missed more than Ward, but would almost be 38 years old when the season starts. You had to know it was coming.

Thanks for a great job well done.

Not many remember he started his career a Jet.

C-town

RuthlessBurgher
03-02-2012, 04:52 PM
This is like Kemo-therapy to me.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lricmoj8nl1qzhfhqo1_500.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
03-02-2012, 05:00 PM

Have you heard that they are coming out with a sequel in 2014?

Derek and Hansel, no longer relevant in the modelling world, 10 years later.

"How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read if they can't even fit inside the building?"

steelblood
03-02-2012, 06:03 PM

Have you heard that they are coming out with a sequel in 2014?

Derek and Hansel, no longer relevant in the modelling world, 10 years later.

"How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read if they can't even fit inside the building?"

Awesome. I love it when those guys get together.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-02-2012, 06:17 PM
One of if not the best free agent signings the Steelers ever made. Thanks for the memories James.

Slapstick
03-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Some of you guys are just WAY too sensitive. I guess it could be the way you perceive every DD post as being bad, but I didn't take his post as being insensitive at all. He wasn't celebrating the demise of these great players, but merely looking forward to a bright future for the Steelers.

Smith, Farrior, Ward all needed to go, I would have hoped via retirement, but obviously they weren't interested in that route, so the Steelers did what they had to do and I applaude them for it. I'd let Hampton go as well.

It has nothing to do with being sensitive. It has nothing to do with perceiving another poster as "evil". I've never told another member that they should not post, nor have I told another member that they are not entitled to their opinion.

But, posting one's opinion on a message board has an inherent danger: someone may disagree with you. While everyone is entitled to have an opinion and post it, no one should be immune to disagreement, questioning, etc.

I disagree with the notion that someone should rejoice at another's misfortune. Especially people who not only have done nothing wrong, but who have brought a lot of good memories and two recent championships to Steelers fans. In my opinion, there is something very sick about that.

The reality is that the organization made several necessary yet unpleasant business decisions. If there was no such thing as a salary cap, these guys would be Steelers forever. Why is anyone happy about that?

Please, feel free to disagree...

pittpete
03-02-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm happy that the Steelers realized that Farrior wont be able to positively contribute any more.
I'm sad that Farrior will no longer wear the #51 Ive grown accustomed to seeing every Sunday.

Lebsteel
03-02-2012, 08:01 PM

It has nothing to do with being sensitive. It has nothing to do with perceiving another poster as "evil". I've never told another member that they should not post, nor have I told another member that they are not entitled to their opinion.

But, posting one's opinion on a message board has an inherent danger: someone may disagree with you. While everyone is entitled to have an opinion and post it, no one should be immune to disagreement, questioning, etc.

I disagree with the notion that someone should rejoice at another's misfortune. Especially people who not only have done nothing wrong, but who have brought a lot of good memories and two recent championships to Steelers fans. In my opinion, there is something very sick about that.

The reality is that the organization made several necessary yet unpleasant business decisions. If there was no such thing as a salary cap, these guys would be Steelers forever. Why is anyone happy about that?

Yea, I think it does have something to do with being a little too sensitive OR maybe being predisposed to negative opinion because it was from Dub. I see no post where Dub was celebrating the misfortune of a great Steeler. I took it as if he was celebrating the future of the Steelers. You read it a different way. If Dub was celebrating the misfortune of Farrior, Ward and Smith as individuals, then I would take offense to that as well, but I really don't think that was his intention at all. I think certain people on this board look at Dub's posts and immediately disagree before they even open the post. I don't know if that is your view or not, just an observation from a guy who is not one of the more frequent posters. Oh...of course, please feel free to disagree...

Djfan
03-02-2012, 08:05 PM
It's not about disagreeing. It's about disagreeing in an offensive way, designed to insult the other poster(s). This board was able to dodge this cancer for a long time.

Insulting another persons faith because you disagree is REALLY offensive.

Steel Life
03-02-2012, 08:39 PM
What it boils down to is respect...or lack of respect for the great contributions these guys made to the team. Celebrating their accomplishments should be easy & natural & seeing their departures should be a bit maudlin. But it isn't hypocrisy to celebrate the careers of Hines, Farrior & Smith & not Kemo or Bmac - their contributions were greater - & it's because of their contributions that endear them to us. In the end, there are no guarantees that the next generation of players will reach the heights of this core group of players & to celebrate their departure for an uncertain future is premature at least & insensitive at worst.

Slapstick
03-02-2012, 08:45 PM
It's not about disagreeing. It's about disagreeing in an offensive way, designed to insult the other poster(s). This board was able to dodge this cancer for a long time.

I agree.

flippy
03-02-2012, 11:19 PM

When in doubt, feel free to insult me. I don't mind. I literally take nothing serious.

Dee Dub
03-03-2012, 12:01 AM

Thanks Lebsteel. Very nice of you. You are a good man. I definitely dont mean any disrespect by any of this. I'm just really excited that these are moves in the right direction. I think the right re-tooling could lead to another long run for the Steelers.

Honestly I think this is the start of something big for the Steelers.

Slapstick
03-03-2012, 12:07 AM

Thanks Lebsteel. Very nice of you. You are a good man. I definitely dont mean any disrespect by any of this. I'm just really excited that these are moves in the right direction. I think the right re-tooling could lead to another long run for the Steelers.

Honestly I think this is the start of something big for the Steelers.

I agree. In a strange way, this is akin to the birth (or rebirth) of the team. Labor hurts. It's necessary, but it's painful.

Dee Dub
03-03-2012, 12:08 AM

Yea, I think it does have something to do with being a little too sensitive OR maybe being predisposed to negative opinion because it was from Dub. I see no post where Dub was celebrating the misfortune of a great Steeler. I took it as if he was celebrating the future of the Steelers. You read it a different way. If Dub was celebrating the misfortune of Farrior, Ward and Smith as individuals, then I would take offense to that as well, but I really don't think that was his intention at all. I think certain people on this board look at Dub's posts and immediately disagree before they even open the post. I don't know if that is your view or not, just an observation from a guy who is not one of the more frequent posters. Oh...of course, please feel free to disagree...

Thank you again. Lebsteel. You said exactly what I was getting sat. I dont understand why others dont understand it. But I think you hit the nail on the head about why.

Thanks Brother.

Dee Dub
03-03-2012, 12:12 AM

How do you figure? When did I disagree in an offensive way? Hey..if that is what you got from what I said about these cuts, then I apologise. That was no where near my intention. Sorrry man. Honestly didnt mean to come off that way.

And when did I ever insult some ones faith? Not sure where that cam from??

Djfan
03-03-2012, 09:36 AM

How do you figure? When did I disagree in an offensive way? Hey..if that is what you got from what I said about these cuts, then I apologise. That was no where near my intention. Sorrry man. Honestly didnt mean to come off that way.

Then the shoe doesn't fit you. Don't wear it.

NorthCoast
03-03-2012, 09:47 AM

Wasn't Bettis a FA signing? or was that a trade?....my memory fails me again.

Slapstick
03-03-2012, 09:55 AM

Wasn't Bettis a FA signing? or was that a trade?....my memory fails me again.

Bettis was a draft day trade in 1996. The Steelers were projected to take Mike Alstott in round 1, but traded for Jerome and took Jamain Stephens instead. Two steps forward, one step back, I guess...

Shawn
03-03-2012, 10:14 AM

:Clap

hawaiiansteel
03-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Analysis: Steelers' release of Farrior, others was standard procedure

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, March 3, 2012

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2012-03-02/0303stfarrior-a.jpg

What they saved
Releasing Farrior: About $3 million

Total saved this offseason against 2012 salary cap: About $40 million

Where Steelers stand related to estimated $120 million cap: $10 million to $15 million under

The purge started Wednesday with receiver Hines Ward. It ended Friday when the Steelers told linebacker James Farrior, a towering figure during a championship run surpassed in franchise history by only the 1970s Steelers, that he, too, would be released.

The Steelers appear to be finished -- at least for now -- shedding salary and getting younger.

A flurry of activity rid them of three stalwarts (Farrior, Ward and defensive end Aaron Smith) who played a combined 37 seasons in Pittsburgh and helped the Steelers win two Super Bowls and appear in three NFL title games during a six-year span.

It was the organization's biggest shakeup in recent memory, yet the team remained remarkably intact.

The four players with whom the Steelers cut ties -- they also released guard Chris Kemoeatu -- started on the 2008 team that won an NFL-record sixth Super Bowl. But by the end of last season, only Farrior was a starter due to a confluence of injury, age and ineffectiveness.

And the seemingly ageless Farrior had slowed down enough that he shared time at left inside linebacker with Larry Foote.

The Steelers no doubt have significant questions at inside linebacker. But that was the case before they decided to release Farrior, who turned 37 in January and had one year left on his contract.

The Steelers need to find a long-term successor to Farrior in the draft. Foote, 31, appears to be the short-term answer unless the Steelers think third-year man Stevenson Sylvester is ready.

Replacing Farrior won't be easy.

Farrior quarterbacked the defense for a decade, making on-field adjustments as skillfully as he plugged running lanes. He started all 154 games he played for the Steelers, made two Pro Bowls, earned team MVP honors in 2004 and served as a defensive captain for eight consecutive seasons.

Not that Farrior had hard feelings over how his Steelers tenure ended, said Farrior's Pittsburgh-based agent, Ralph Cindrich.

"He's a professional. He knows the score," Cindrich said. "The Steelers were up front and honest with us."

Put another way, the Steelers didn't stray from what has made them one of sport's most successful franchises.

The Steelers may be a family-owned operation whose patriarch, Dan Rooney, waits in the lunch line at team headquarters and interacts easily with the players. But the Rooneys long have separated emotion from business.

It is never easy bidding farewell to a player who has meant so much to the organization for so long. The Steelers did it three times in three days. But the releases were standard-operating procedure: Just look at the lengthy list of Steelers greats the organization released or let sign elsewhere.

And so at the end of a week that felt like the end of an era, Steelers president Art Rooney II saluted Smith and Farrior, as he had done earlier with Ward. But he also made it clear the Steelers are moving forward.

"(Smith) has done so much for the Steelers on and off the field," Rooney said. "We will always hold him in high regard for helping us to so much success over his 13 years with the team.

"(Farrior) has been a leader for our defense on the field and an ambassador for the Steelers in the community. We appreciate everything James has done and truly wish him nothing but the best."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1o5Vdbc6g (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_784643.html#ixzz1o5Vdbc6g)

Oviedo
03-03-2012, 06:20 PM

Dee Dub has exactly the right attitude about these cuts "The kings are dead, long live the kings"

This is a time to remember the past but be excited about the future. I never read anything in Dee Dubs posts that indicated anything else.

Dee Dub
03-03-2012, 11:06 PM

Then the shoe doesn't fit you. Don't wear it.

Ok sorry Djfan. My mistake I thought you were talking about me. Good to have you back. :Cheers

Dee Dub
03-03-2012, 11:08 PM

Dee Dub has exactly the right attitude about these cuts "The kings are dead, long live the kings"

This is a time to remember the past but be excited about the future. I never read anything in Dee Dubs posts that indicated anything else.

Thanks Ovi. I appreciate that. :D

Djfan
03-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Ok sorry Djfan. My mistake I thought you were talking about me. Good to have you back. :Cheers

Thanks. I really debated returning. Still am, honestly.

Truth be known, my faith is really my focus right now, along with my family. It's been a fun ride the last few months.

Dee Dub
03-04-2012, 11:40 AM

Thanks. I really debated returning. Still am, honestly.

Truth be known, my faith is really my focus right now, along with my family. It's been a fun ride the last few months.

A couple years ago I decided to put God first in all that I do. I can tell you that my life has never been better. I respect and appreciate what you are doing. Too me, that is far greater than what any athlete has ever shown me on the field.

In a thread where one of the great Steelers is being honored, I look at what you are doing as far more honorable! Great job Brother!!

steelblood
03-04-2012, 12:09 PM

I don't disagree with you. But, you contradict yourself a bit when you make the above statement and then get involved in the middle school stuff and calling folks out.

And, it IS nice to have you back. You are a great poster. I enjoy reading what you have to say.

DukieBoy
03-04-2012, 02:21 PM
[quote=flippy]I think we can all agree we're celebrating that Kemo's gone.

How funny.

If they are done and no longer a productive part of this team then who cares whether they were great or not so good?

I think Flippy said it best regarding the difference between Kemo and these other players.[/quote:3m8oafw5]

:Beer Agree with Dizz who agrees with Flippy (does that make me unbalanced? :wink: ).

DukieBoy
03-04-2012, 02:23 PM

:Agree

:Clap :Clap :Clap

DukieBoy
03-04-2012, 02:26 PM

Well-said DJ. This is one of many reasons why this board is all the better for you being an active part of it. Thanks.

NorthCoast
03-04-2012, 04:15 PM
this thread is beginning to bore me.....

can we take disagreements offline?

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Sayonara, Potsie.

FRIDAY, 02 MARCH 2012 WRITTEN BY DAN GIGLER

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/images/stories/Dan_Gigler/potsie_cutler.jpg

As Ed Bouchette reported a short while ago, James Farrior becomes the latest Steeler to slated for release.

Farrior, a captain for the past eight seasons, will leave a leadership void in the Steelers locker room as big as any they've ever felt. While he had neither the acrobatic flare of a Troy Polamalu or the menacing presence of a James Harrison, Farrior, or "Potsie" as he is called, was the unquestioned leader of the Steelers defense.

LaMarr Woodley said as much to Ron Cook in this excellent column about Farrior's ability to deliver at an advanced age -- and that was three years ago -- and it wasn't any less true when Cook wrote about Farrior in 2005, then the defending team MVP determined to lead his squad to a Super Bowl title. He did. Two of them.

With the releases of Farrior, Hines Ward, Aaron Smith, Chris Kemoeatu, Bryant McFadden, and the retirement of Chris Hoke, the Steelers only have six starters remaining frrom the Feb. 6, 2006 roster of Super Bowl XL -- Ben Roethlisberger, Heath Miller, Max Starks, Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Larry Foote and Casey Hampton -- and four other members of that team: Charlie Batch, James Harrison, Trai Essex, Brett Keisel. Starks, Batch and Essex could all become unrestricted free agents on March 13.

Something of an ageless wonder, prepare yourself for the sting of seeing Farrior in another team's uniform in 2012.

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/ind ... ara-potsie (http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/blog-n-gold/33316-sayonara-potsie)

Djfan
03-05-2012, 12:24 AM

I don't disagree with you. But, you contradict yourself a bit when you make the above statement and then get involved in the middle school stuff and calling folks out.

And, it IS nice to have you back. You are a great poster. I enjoy reading what you have to say.

I am open to ideas about how to have said it more appropriately.

Thanks Dukie and DeeDub.

Chadman
03-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Chadman would suggest there are more important & advantagous ways of spending your time than forcing yourself to do something you're not sure you want to do.

Would hate to lose you again DJ, but if you're not enjoying your time...

hawaiiansteel
03-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Chadman would suggest there are more important & advantagous ways of spending your time than forcing yourself to do something you're not sure you want to do.

how can anyone not enjoy their time here on this board when such amazingly funny and intelligent posters like me and Chadman are here posting our brilliant opinions and ideas all the way from Australia and Hawaii? :D :Cheers

Chadman
03-05-2012, 02:00 AM

how can anyone not enjoy their time here on this board when such amazingly funny and intelligent posters like me and Chadman are here posting our brilliant opinions and ideas all the way from Australia and Hawaii? :D :Cheers

We're pretty good, ain't we?

Djfan
03-05-2012, 10:23 AM

No my third-personed friend. It's not about that, it's about making sure my priorities are correct. I find rest in being aligned correctly. (Hold the chiropractor jokes.) Hard to explain, I guess.

At this point in my life, just about everything is on the table, being negotiated. PS is one fo them. It's rather freeing, really.

NorthCoast
03-05-2012, 08:07 PM

Funny thing is, the word "great" is not very useful in describing the future of a football team. It is more often used to describe the past. When people say the Steelers are a great franchise, they are usually referring to the past achievements.

To describe the future you need to another adjective; "potentially".

Chadman
03-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Larry Foote understands why his friends are leaving
Monday, March 05, 2012
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Steelers linebacker Larry Foote started the cell phone conversation on a sad note by saying "all my friends are leaving." He called the team's termination last week of Hines Ward, Aaron Smith and best pal James Farrior "devastating." Then, he put into poignant words the agony a veteran player experiences when his team sets aside all sentimentality -- as it must -- and makes a purely business decision. "We're all grown men, but we've been lucky enough to make a good living playing a kids' game. Most of us have been playing since we were 8 years old. When they tell you it's time to hang up your cleats, it's tough."

It's the brutal reality of professional sports.

No one plays forever.

"I know my day is coming, too," Foote said.

Maybe next offseason.

Foote appears to have survived this Steelers' purge. He is expected to take over Farrior's inside linebacker spot, which the two shared last season. He would call the defensive signals and make sure everyone is lined up properly.

"Without a doubt, I can do it. My play speaks for itself," said Foote, who, at 31, is 5 1/2 years younger than Farrior. "I'm sure they'll draft a young guy and there will be a lot of competition. That's fine. I can hold my own."

Foote made the same prediction about the Steelers defense. "We're still going to have a talented team, without a doubt. We were the No. 1 defense in the league last season. I don't know why people forget that."

I'm not sure I'm buying what Foote is selling there. That defense gave up a 92-yard drive in the final 2 1/2 minutes to the Baltimore Ravens in a killer loss at Heinz Field and allowed the NFL's worst quarterback -- Denver's Tim Tebow -- to throw for 316 yards and two touchdowns in the playoffs. I'm also not sure the leadership void left by the departures of Ward, Smith and Farrior will be easy to fill. "We've got a bunch of leaders," Foote insisted. "The young guys have to step up and take a bigger role. I've got to step up."

Foote said he was prepared for Smith to retire because he had major neck surgery in October, the fourth time in five years that Smith's season ended prematurely because of an injury. But the news about Ward and Farrior hit him hard. "We're entering uncharted water now. Hines has been around since '98, Farrior since 2002. Man, I've been with those guys for 10 years. There never will be a time in my life again that I spend so much time with a group of guys. It's going to be different."

Not having Farrior on the team will be especially difficult for Foote. "I'm definitely going to miss him. You know how good people are good people? He's good people. Everybody liked him. He's 37, but he acted like he's 15. And I mean that in a good way."

Foote said it wasn't awkward being in a battle with Farrior for one roster spot. "We both understand it's a business. We heard talk they had to do stuff for the salary cap and to sign other players. This is how it played out."

Ward has said he hopes to play next season. Farrior said many times that the Steelers "will have to drag me out of here to get rid of me" -- which they did -- and believes he still can play. But he might not want to start over with another team. "I just talked to him about it for a minute," Foote said. "He's not sure what he's going to do. I'm sure he'll make up his mind in the next few weeks. If he wants to play, I have no doubt he can do it. I didn't see any drop off in his play last season."

Foote said it would be strange to see Ward and perhaps Farrior in another uniform. But he said they always will be remembered fondly as Steelers.

"It's like the guys from the '70s, their names are always remembered for football around here," Foote said. "We didn't quite reach that level as a team, but those three guys will be at the top of the list when it comes to great players in the Steelers organization. That's the way you want to go out."

Foote ended the conversation on a happier note by talking about the birth of his fourth child. "He was born at halftime of the Super Bowl. His timing was perfect. He came out right before Madonna came out."

You'll never guess the baby boy's name.

Trammell, after former Detroit Tigers shortstop Alan Trammell.

"I just always really liked him," said Foote, who grew up in Detroit and still lives there.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Can Farrior Foote be far behind?

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/12065/121 ... z1oISeX0pZ (http://www.postgazette.com/pg/12065/1214566-87-0.stm#ixzz1oISeX0pZ)