PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Brooks blows up his pro-day

BigRob
03-01-2012, 03:45 PM
How did this guy not get a combine invite. I think he will end up being a late second round pick and could be a day one starter. Perhaps for the Steelers? Yes, the Steelers were at his pro-day.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... index.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/03/01/pro.days/index.html)

The big offensive lineman measured 6-foot-5 and weighed 346 pounds. He completed 36 reps on the bench press, a number exceeded by just one offensive lineman at the combine. The same can be said for Brooks' 4.98 40 time, which included a 10-yard split of 1.71 seconds. Only Donald Stephenson ran faster at the combine. His vertical jump of 32 inches and broad jump of 8-feet, 9-inches were also superb. The 4.52 short shuttle time beat all marks from the offensive linemen who ran in Indianapolis.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... z1ntcXQhUn (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/03/01/pro.days/index.html#ixzz1ntcXQhUn)

Dee Dub
03-01-2012, 03:50 PM
He was also very impressive at the East West Shrine game.

BigRob
03-01-2012, 04:03 PM

I haven't seen any of his film, but he's seems to be a "plus" athlete. He carries his 346 like a brick ****e house. Could he be the next Carl Nicks?

Also per Tony Pauline:

evidently Brooks pancaked a Steelers coach in bag drills

http://twitter.com/#!/TonyPauline

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxMQ9uYgOW_OAv_5ledfZBofqktIbNt TpRqk1PzDHa_uftNYi0

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-01-2012, 04:10 PM

He was. That game put him the 3rd round in my opinion.

phillyesq
03-01-2012, 04:48 PM

Just out of curiosity, have you seen any other film of him?

RuthlessBurgher
03-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Me likey some Brandon Brooks (he's been in my mock for a while as our RG of the future, after trading up for our LG of the present in DeCastro). If that Steeler coach he knocked around was Koogs, I hope he didn't hurt him too badly. :lol:

steelblood
03-01-2012, 06:04 PM
I liked him first! :lol: Being in the Cincitucky-diana area, I've seen him play a few times. The offense is gimmicky but, you can't miss him out there as he is massive. He has very good feet for his size and carries all of that weight so well. He doesn't even have much of a belly. His thighs are like average player's torsos. Glad to hear a Steelers scout was there.

He has to be a solid day two pick now.

focosteeler
03-01-2012, 06:44 PM
im starting to like this guy more and more. I wouldnt be upset if we took him. What round is he projected for now?

Dee Dub
03-01-2012, 07:05 PM

Just out of curiosity, have you seen any other film of him?

No, I cant even find any youtube clips.

RuthlessBurgher
03-01-2012, 07:09 PM
im starting to like this guy more and more. I wouldnt be upset if we took him. What round is he projected for now?

NFLDraftScout.com (a very respectable site...CBSSports has been using this site for its draft info for years) lists him as a 4th round prospect. He is their #10 rated guard overall behind David DeCastro (1), Cordy Glenn (1-2), Kelechi Osemele (2), Kevin Zeitler (2), Amini Silatulo (2-3), James Brown (3), Brandon Washington (3), Senio Kelemete (3), and Lucas Nix (3-4).

I'd love to double my pleasure, double my fun with two of these guys (one for the present at LG and one for the future at RG), since we have had some success drafting certain positions of need in pairs within the same draft (LB's Timmons and Woodley, WR's Sanders and Brown, CB's Brown and Allen).

BigRob
03-01-2012, 07:15 PM

NFLDraftScout.com (a very respectable site...CBSSports has been using this site for its draft info for years) lists him as a 4th round prospect. He is their #10 rated guard overall behind David DeCastro (1), Cordy Glenn (1-2), Kelechi Osemele (2), Kevin Zeitler (2), Amini Silatulo (2-3), James Brown (3), Brandon Washington (3), Senio Kelemete (3), and Lucas Nix (3-4).

Nah, He'll go between our second round pick and our 3rd round pick. He won't be there in the 3rd for us. I would be ok with him in the second.

Snatch98
03-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Man what a huge difference trading up and grabbing a LG like DeCastro and then a guy like Brooks would make. Our offensive line would be set for the next decade and at this juncture I hope something like this happens. We've got our bases just about covered everywhere else. The only biggie being ILB especially if Farrior is released and even then I'm perfectly fine with Larry Foote as the replacement.

RuthlessBurgher
03-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Man what a huge difference trading up and grabbing a LG like DeCastro and then a guy like Brooks would make. Our offensive line would be set for the next decade and at this juncture I hope something like this happens. We've got our bases just about covered everywhere else. The only biggie being ILB especially if Farrior is released and even then I'm perfectly fine with Larry Foote as the replacement.

I think we could get by for a year with Timmons and Foote starting, and Sylvester and Ivy as backups for now. Could we improve upon that? Sure...but if the best value means that we spend premium picks to build a potentially dominant OL in lieu of a top rated backer right now, I could certainly live with that. Not everything can be fixed at once...we'll see what the board dictates for us.

Snatch98
03-01-2012, 07:27 PM

I think we could get by for a year with Timmons and Foote starting, and Sylvester and Ivy as backups for now. Could we improve upon that? Sure...but if the best value means that we spend premium picks to build a potentially dominant OL in lieu of a top rated backer right now, I could certainly live with that. Not everything can be fixed at once...we'll see what the board dictates for us.

Gilbert, DeCastro, Pouncey, Brooks, Colon looks damn nice to me and say Brooks isn't ready to start sit him behind Ramon Foster and I'm still a-okay with that line up. I'd love for them to invest heavily in the line as it will extend Ben's career AND get our run game back on track. I can't imagine the holes the left side of our line would create with Gilbert, DeCastro and Pouncey. Man oh man.

flippy
03-01-2012, 07:35 PM
With that size and athleticism, why is he projected as a G?

RuthlessBurgher
03-01-2012, 07:55 PM

The scouting reports I have read describe somewhat heavy feet in space (understandable for a man with his considerable bulk; even though it's amazing that he can carry over 350 lbs without looking the least bit fat), but he's sufficiently stout to control blocks at the point of attack with the strength to drive defenders out of the way...better to use his raw power in a "phone booth" than attempting to mirror speed rushers on an island outside.

BigRob
03-01-2012, 08:21 PM
More from Tony Pauline on Brooks:

http://twitter.com/#!/TonyPauline

Hearing after today scouts say no later than third round with the second round now possible for Brandon Brooks

I think he would be a good late 2nd round pick. His short shuttle was the best among participating guards at the combine to which he didn't even get an invite.

focosteeler
03-01-2012, 10:09 PM
does anyone have a link to any film on him? Im very curious to see some him in some games

Chucktownsteeler
03-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Could be an interesting pick, would like to see more film.

C-town

Chadman
03-01-2012, 11:33 PM
Here's betting he won't be within the Steelers first or second rounds picks. If he's there in the 3rd, maybe..

But his level of competition doesn't match with the Colbert-Tomlin Big Program/Big Production mantra..

Steel Life
03-02-2012, 12:40 AM

The scouting reports I have read describe somewhat heavy feet in space (understandable for a man with his considerable bulk; even though it's amazing that he can carry over 350 lbs without looking the least bit fat), but he's sufficiently stout to control blocks at the point of attack with the strength to drive defenders out of the way...better to use his raw power in a "phone booth" than attempting to mirror speed rushers on an island outside.
Whats being said is that he needs help with the technical aspect of the position...i.e. - he lunges & over-commits too much & whiffs on a lot of blocks. Also is said that his feet aren't that nimble & once engaged he has trouble peeling off to pick up stunts & blitzers.

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2012, 06:25 PM
By Len Pasquarelli | NFLDraftScout.com
March 3, 2012

Last week, we documented the regimen of Miami (Ohio) guard Brandon Brooks, arguably the mostly highly regarded prospect -- almost certainly the best offensive line candidate -- not invited to the Indianapolis combine.

At his pro day on campus Thursday, Brooks may have cemented his status, and perhaps worked his way to as high as the third round, with a very solid audition for NFL scouts.

At 6-feet-5 and 346 pounds, Brooks ran a sub-5.0 time (scouts to whom The Sports Xchange spoke pegged it in the 4.98 range) and performed 36 reps in the bench press.

"A lot of people told me they couldn't believe I wasn't in Indy," Brooks said, "but who's fault was it [that] I wasn't there? Maybe it's all worked out for the best, though. Like I said before, it just made the chip that much bigger for me. Maybe I worked that much harder."

Brooks, who spent two months at the renowned API facility in Phoenix to prep for his pro day, will have an individual workout for scouts on March 8, and perform line-specific drills then.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/stor ... d-dlinemen (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/17568347/clemson-looks-to-continue-tradition-of-highround-dlinemen)