PDA

View Full Version : I'm bored....Let's do a board mock draft

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-01-2012, 03:19 PM
I did this last year with varying results, but at least it allows us to move on beyond some of the other conversations.

I am going to use a 4 round mock draft from WalterFootball.com and we will vote based on players still available in each round. I will give 5 options per round....okay, maybe six, depends on my mood. I'll keep each round up a couple of days and then move on to the next round. This first post will keep track of our picks. I'll keep it going until either we get bored or finish the draft - whichever comes first. We can do one now then maybe another in the beginning of April and see what changes.

I should have included this already, but here is the mock that I am using for reference. Only players still on their board will be made available.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php

Anyways.........

Picks

Round 1 Dont'a Hightower
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4

And our choices for the second round are (* indicates Walter's pick).......

*Kevin Zeitler - G Wisconsin - Who is for a Wisconsin guard?

Brandon Thompson - DT Clemson - A big guy in our defensive middle

Brandon Washington - G/OT Miami - Did you know that we have a need at guard?

Jerel Worthy - DT Michigan St. - Another big man in the middle who several have already shown interest in

Isaiah Pead - RB Cincinnati - Mendy coming off of ACL surgery and entering a contract year

A WR of your choice - why not? I gave this as a choice last round too

There you have it....vote away

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2012, 03:26 PM
great idea! :Clap :Cheers

with Poe, DeCastro and Glenn off the board I went with Dont'a Hightower although he might be a liability in pass coverage... :stirpot

Dee Dub
03-01-2012, 03:41 PM
* Dont'a Hightower - ILB Alabama - do I really need to add anything here?

Yes please. Can you tell me a little about this player? :P

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2012, 04:14 PM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":i8z88m40]

* Dont'a Hightower - ILB Alabama - do I really need to add anything here?

Yes please. Can you tell me a little about this player? :P[/quote:i8z88m40]

I love your sense of humor Dee Dub... :D :Cheers

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Well...If I'm staying true to my board and I can't trade down it will be Hightower.

I can't believe he has Poe in the top 10. His combine solidifies him as a 1st rounder but not inside the Top 20. Wow.

Dee Dub
03-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Well...If I'm staying true to my board and I can't trade down it will be Hightower.

I can't believe he has Poe in the top 10. His combine solidifies him as a 1st rounder but not inside the Top 20. Wow.

Actually he isnt the only one. Steve Wyche from NFL.com thinks he will be a top 10 pick now.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-01-2012, 04:31 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":2lz439dk]Well...If I'm staying true to my board and I can't trade down it will be Hightower.

Actually he isnt the only one. Steve Wyche from NFL.com thinks he will be a top 10 pick now.[/quote:2lz439dk]

Well in case you didn't know I like Poe :wink: But I wouldn't be taking him that high.

RuthlessBurgher
03-01-2012, 04:46 PM
My first mock this draft season (without trades) threw a first round curveball, selecting Alshon Jeffery in the first round to help our red zone offense (that was before the Haley hiring). We know Ben likes big receivers and Haley's always had bigger receivers too (Fitz and Boldin in Zona, Bowe in K.C., T.O. in Dallas, even Keyshawn way back in his Jets days) and we don't have any wideouts with imposing size on our roster. There were worries about Jeffery, who played in the 230's last year, ballooning up close to the 250's recently, but that apparently was internet hogwash, since he was 216 lbs at the combine (measuring in at 6' 3 1/8" with big ol' 10 1/4" mitts). There are still questions about his speed since he did not run in Indy, but frankly, we already have speedsters to spread the field between the 20's. We need to add a guy who can go up an get the ball in the end zone once we get inside the 20, so we have less Suisham FG attempts and more Suisham PAT attempts. He may not be a Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson...but he may be a Sidney Rice or a Hakeem Nicks. I'd take a shot at a guy with 183 collegiate catches for 3042 yards and 23 touchdowns as a possible BPA pick. Although WR is far from our biggest need, he could potentially make more of an impact on our team than a thumper at ILB, a DT who really isn't a NT, a interior lineman who is likely a better center than a guard (and only put up 225 lbs 18 times), a backup tight end, or a tackle prospect who doesn't have elite feet (and only put up 225 lbs 19 times).

phillyesq
03-01-2012, 04:54 PM
My first mock this draft season (without trades) threw a first round curveball, selecting Alshon Jeffery in the first round to help our red zone offense (that was before the Haley hiring). We know Ben likes big receivers and Haley's always had bigger receivers too (Fitz and Boldin in Zona, Bowe in K.C., T.O. in Dallas, even Keyshawn way back in his Jets days) and we don't have any wideouts with imposing size on our roster. There were worries about Jeffery, who played in the 230's last year, ballooning up close to the 250's recently, but that apparently was internet hogwash, since he was 216 lbs at the combine (measuring in at 6' 3 1/8" with big ol' 10 1/4" mitts). There are still questions about his speed since he did not run in Indy, but frankly, we already have speedsters to spread the field between the 20's. We need to add a guy who can go up an get the ball in the end zone once we get inside the 20, so we have less Suisham FG attempts and more Suisham PAT attempts. He may not be a Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson...but he may be a Sidney Rice or a Hakeem Nicks. I'd take a shot at a guy with 183 collegiate catches for 3042 yards and 23 touchdowns as a possible BPA pick. Although WR is far from our biggest need, he could potentially make more of an impact on our team than a thumper at ILB, a DT who really isn't a NT, a interior lineman who is likely a better center than a guard (and only put up 225 lbs 18 times), a backup tight end, or a tackle prospect who doesn't have elite feet (and only put up 225 lbs 19 times).

I read that he didn't interview well at the combine, and I've heard some concerns about his character/attitude:

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/7441/alshon-jeffery

RuthlessBurgher
03-01-2012, 05:18 PM
I read that he didn't interview well at the combine, and I've heard some concerns about his character/attitude:

Hmmm...news to me...I've always heard good things about the kid's work ethic. Thanks for the update.

phillyesq
03-01-2012, 05:54 PM

Hmmm...news to me...I've always heard good things about the kid's work ethic. Thanks for the update.

It's just one site, and with all the misinformation out there at this point, who knows...

steelblood
03-01-2012, 06:17 PM

I've seen him play quite a few times in the last few years. Not having a good QB this season hurt him. Garcia was good at throwing him open or giving him a good jump ball. He is not as fast as some of the other big WRs in this draft. Most of his catches in man coverage are contested.

Chucktownsteeler
03-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Chcuktown's Mock 1.1 is listed below:

I am realing starting to think we take (if he is there) Donta Hightower at #24. Farrior is 37 years old and not much behind him, long term. Hightower is a tackling beast, has the SEC pedigree, and just enough nasty to join the brotherhood of Steeler linebackers. Here is my updated draft:

1. Donta Hightower ILB from Alabama 6 Foot 4 260 LBs - This pick is just starting to make too much sense to me. A high need pick (Farrior 37 years old) and not much after him. The Steelers go ILB, Round 1 If not Hightower is not there trade down maybe with Redskins, who covet a QB at #24 (they want Taneyhill).

2. Kevin Zeitler OG - Wisconsin, OK we shore up the OL and get our guard from Wisconsin. Not Konz, but Zeitler not far behind in talent. Works on the second best line in college football, and is tied for their best prospect with center Konz.

3. Derek Wolfe - DE - Cincy - 6'5" - 302lbs Need to develop some depth on the DLine behind Ziggy and Heyward. Need to develop a rotation to keep guys fresh and going after the QB. Might be one of the best 3-4 DEs in the draft.

4. Shea McClellin, DE, Boise State - 6'3" - 248lbs
McClellin improved his draft stock with a quality season. He recorded 46 tackles with six sacks, 12.5 tackles for a loss and a blocked kick. Aside from playing as a traditional defensive end, McClellin has lined up as both a stand-up rush linebacker and an inside linebacker. Love this kid's motor (next Aaron Smith)?

5. Nick Jean-Baptiste, NT, Baylor; Comes out of nowhere and finds himself somewhere on every team's draft board; We get him in the middle of the draft;

6. Rhett Ellison - TE - USC - 6'5" - 245lbs
Just a TE to replace DJ. Nothing more, nothing less.

7. Robert Golden, CB/S Arizona - A Steeler-sized DB, I see him more as a safety prospect but he can certainly cover the slot. aka "The Golden Steeler", we need a "Golden" on the Steeler

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2012, 12:00 AM

I am realing starting to think we take (if he is there) Donta Hightower at #24. Farrior is 37 years old and not much behind him, long term. Hightower is a tackling beast, has the SEC pedigree, and just enough nasty to join the brotherhood of Steeler linebackers. Here is my updated draft:

1. Donta Hightower ILB from Alabama 6 Foot 4 260 LBs - This pick is just starting to make too much sense to me. A high need pick (Farrior 37 years old) and not much after him. The Steelers go ILB, Round 1 If not Hightower is not there trade down maybe with Redskins, who covet a QB at #24 (they want Taneyhill).

2. Kevin Zeitler OG - Wisconsin, OK we shore up the OL and get our guard from Wisconsin. Not Konz, but Zeitler not far behind in talent. Works on the second best line in college football, and is tied for their best prospect with center Konz.

3. Derek Wolfe - DE - Cincy - 6'5" - 302lbs Need to develop some depth on the DLine behind Ziggy and Heyward. Need to develop a rotation to keep guys fresh and going after the QB. Might be one of the best 3-4 DEs in the draft.

McClellin improved his draft stock with a quality season. He recorded 46 tackles with six sacks, 12.5 tackles for a loss and a blocked kick. Aside from playing as a traditional defensive end, McClellin has lined up as both a stand-up rush linebacker and an inside linebacker. Love this kid's motor (next Aaron Smith)?

5. Nick Jean-Baptiste, NT, Baylor; Comes out of nowhere and finds himself somewhere on every team's draft board; We get him in the middle of the draft;

7. Robert Golden, CB/S Arizona - A Steeler-sized DB, I see him more as a safety prospect but he can certainly cover the slot. aka "The Golden Steeler", we need a "Golden" on the Steeler

nice mock Chucktown, I really like it! :Clap

Steel Life
03-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Why are you assuming Glenn is off the board?...If he's there I'd take him over all others listed.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-02-2012, 01:25 AM
If SS Mark Barron was sitting there at 24, would he be worth our pick? Troy is no spring chicken & Mundy is not a long term answer.

Chucktownsteeler
03-02-2012, 02:45 PM
If SS Mark Barron was sitting there at 24, would he be worth our pick? Troy is no spring chicken & Mundy is not a long term answer.

It might be (no it is) a tab bit early for this, but prognosticator's are predicting a bounty year of safeties in the 2013 draft. They have as many as 6 or 7 listed as #1 material. Maybe we can squeeze another year out of what we have and see what's available next year:

Matt Elam
T.J. McDonald
Tyrann Mathieu
David Amerson
Xavier Rhodes
Tony Jefferson
Bacarri Rambo

I like Bacarri Rambo and thought he mike come out this season, but went back to Georgia. I am intrigued by Tyrann "The Honey Badger" Mathieu of LSU. Still young (and a little short) but this kid is a game changer. Want to see him one more year and he would make a great heir apparent to Troy.

:tt2 :tt1

steelblood
03-02-2012, 03:35 PM

It might be (no it is) a tab bit early for this, but prognosticator's are predicting a bounty year of safeties in the 2013 draft. They have as many as 6 or 7 listed as #1 material. Maybe we can squeeze another year out of what we have and see what's available next year:

Matt Elam
T.J. McDonald
Tyrann Mathieu
David Amerson
Xavier Rhodes
Tony Jefferson
Bacarri Rambo

I like Bacarri Rambo and thought he mike come out this season, but went back to Georgia. I am intrigued by Tyrann "The Honey Badger" Mathieu of LSU. Still young (and a little short) but this kid is a game changer. Want to see him one more year and he would make a great heir apparent to Troy.

Honey Badger is 5'9 and 180 pounds. He is a corner. Probably a nickel corner. How does he project to safety at that size?

Dee Dub
03-02-2012, 04:00 PM

Matt Elam
T.J. McDonald
Tyrann Mathieu
David Amerson
Xavier Rhodes
Tony Jefferson
Bacarri Rambo

Love me some Bacarri Rambo!! He is more of a free safety/cover guy. But he'll hit ya too. He was on my first mock then had to change it as he stayed in school.

I would love to get Harrison Smith this year in round two. He is going to be a pro bowler.

Honey Badger? No thank you. He likes to smoke weed. I would rather have Tony Jefferson of Oklahoma.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Okay guys, since our first place pick has more votes than the others combined, I guess we can move on to round 2.

Round 1 pick - Dont'a Hightower

Check the poll to find our potential second round picks.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Hey admin. The poll is supposed to reset itself when you change the options, can someone see about that please.

Dee Dub
03-02-2012, 04:29 PM
I'd rather pick Harrison Smith FS of Notre Dame. But if I had to choose from this group, to me, the highest rated is Brandon Thompson.

RuthlessBurgher
03-02-2012, 05:16 PM

Dude! EPIC Mock draft.. That is BEAST!

RuthlessBurgher
03-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Hey admin. The poll is supposed to reset itself when you change the options, can someone see about that please.

I think I fixed it. When I edited the original post, there was a box for deleting the poll, which I did, then hit submit. Went back in to edit it again, added the new poll, and it looks like the values have now reset to zeroes.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-04-2012, 11:30 AM

I think I fixed it. When I edited the original post, there was a box for deleting the poll, which I did, then hit submit. Went back in to edit it again, added the new poll, and it looks like the values have now reset to zeroes.

Thanks RB

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2012, 06:20 PM
I'd rather pick Harrison Smith FS of Notre Dame. But if I had to choose from this group, to me, the highest rated is Brandon Thompson.

Saturday March 03, 2012

Clemson looks to continue tradition of high-round D-linemen

By Len Pasquarelli | NFLDraftScout.com

http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/nfl/2002/draft/img17568532.jpg

Clemson's Brandon Thompson may be selected towards the bottom of the draft's first round. (Getty Images)

In each of the past five drafts, Clemson has had at least one defensive lineman selected, including four players in the first two rounds, and the streak won't end this year, despite pretty uneven results so far by the former Tigers' stars.

End Andre Branch and tackle Brandon Thompson both are highly regarded prospects, each of whom scored some points at the combine, and they can be perceived as players on the rise.

Part of what makes both attractive is their shared versatility, a quality NFL scouts clearly have not overlooked.

"The way the game is played now, with people jumping in and out of [multiple] fronts, it's a big plus for them," said one NFC area scout whose territory includes the ACC.

Branch, who had 17 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks in 2011, is a hybrid-type edge defender, who might be able to play end in a 4-3 or some 3-4 outside rush linebacker. Timed at 4.70, Branch looks to have great upfield burst, and his 77 tackles last season indicate he is also active versus the run.

He could go off the board in the first round.

Maybe more surprising is Thompson, a player who some teams said might still squeeze into the very bottom of the first round.

The second round is more realistic, but Thompson seems to be growing on people. The key for the 314-pound Thompson, who had an excellent week at the Senior Bowl but did not run in Indianapolis, is that a few clubs, like New England, feel he can play the pure "five-technique" end spot in a 3-4, and perhaps slide inside to tackle to log some 4-3 snaps.

Thompson had only 4.5 sacks in his college career, but scouts contend there is some pass-rush potential there, and that Thompson isn't just a nose tackle-type player.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/stor ... d-dlinemen (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/17568347/clemson-looks-to-continue-tradition-of-highround-dlinemen)