PDA

View Full Version : Will Farrior be Next?

phillyesq
03-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Farrior's agent speculates that he may be released.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_784327.html#ixzz1ntBEIwKA

I would like to see one of Foote/Farrior return for next year, ideally at a reduced rate. However, especially if the Steelers grab a young ILB, I don't think that they can or will carry both.

SteelBucks
03-01-2012, 02:41 PM
I'd rather keep Farrior for one more year and release Foote. A depth chart of Foote, Sylvester and possibly a draft pick isn't too comforting.

Dee Dub
03-01-2012, 02:46 PM
I sure hope so. Farrior is done. And now for next year he'll be 37 years 8 months at the start of next season. He will be worse next year than he was this year.

I would rather keep Foote. He has a little more in the tank and he would be adequate on occassion to spell Hightower. :wink:

Steelers>NFL
03-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Yes, he needs to go. Love Farrior. But it is time to move on.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-01-2012, 04:11 PM
I sure hope so. Farrior is done. And now for next year he'll be 37 years 8 months at the start of next season. He will be worse next year than he was this year.

I would rather keep Foote. He has a little more in the tank and he would be adequate on occassion to spell Hightower. :wink:

I think the last thing you said is the plan no matter who they take in the draft.

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2012, 04:17 PM
the Steelers will definitely need to address ILB early in the draft.

anyone know of any good ILB prospects to be had in this year's draft? :D :stirpot

Dee Dub
03-01-2012, 04:26 PM

anyone know of any good ILB prospects to be had in this year's draft? :D :stirpot

ILB would be not the way to go...in my opinion. :P

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-01-2012, 04:29 PM

DD has this sleeper pick he has been training at his house who he ordered not to do all the work outs at the combine because he will be selling tickets to each individual event and having a jugs football machine flinging balls at him as he does suicides and dodges bullets while jumping over hurdles wearing a blinfold and a big foam number #1 while he has one hand tied behind his back wearing roller skates in a crimson tu tu wearing a hard hat painted black and yellow with a #30 on it.

He goes by the alias Donte Hightower but his true identity is Big Al. :Beer

steelz09
03-01-2012, 04:46 PM

dangit! I was hoping to be the first one to make that smart@ss response.

Oviedo
03-01-2012, 05:00 PM
I'd rather keep Farrior for one more year and release Foote. A depth chart of Foote, Sylvester and possibly a draft pick isn't too comforting.

Or we could actually play a young player and see that he would perform no matter how much the DC hated doing it.

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2012, 05:05 PM

Or we could actually play a young player and see that he would perform no matter how much the DC hated doing it.

come on Ovi, now you're just plain being silly...

don't you know how complex our defense is? :stirpot

ikestops85
03-01-2012, 05:30 PM

I heard of some guy down south. I think his name is Lofence. He seems to be a thumper but a little slow in his lateral movements. :lol:

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2012, 02:22 AM
Chances are Steelers inside linebacker Farrior won't be back

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, March 2, 2012

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2012-03-01/0302FarriorCAP-b.jpg

James Farrior's agent said the inside linebacker could be the next Steeler to go.

"It's not a done deal, but the percentages just aren't there," Ralph Cindrich said about Farrior's return.

Farrior knows no player is safe while the Steelers shed salary to create flexibility under the 2012 salary cap.

Farrior, who turned 37 in January, is entering the final year of his contract. He is scheduled to make about $2.8 million.

Cindrich said he has not had discussions with the Steelers regarding Farrior or whether the two-time Pro Bowler would be willing to restructure his contract or take a pay cut. Farrior plans to play elsewhere if released.

"James wants to play and wants to play with the Steelers," Cindrich said. "The question is, 'Do they have room for him?' "

Farrior finished fourth on the team with 90 tackles last season, but the Steelers spelled him at times with Larry Foote, who is also entering the final year of his contract.

Farrior has been one of the Steelers' most durable and productive players over the past decade.

The 6-foot-2, 243-pounder has started 153 games since signing as an unrestricted free agent in 2002. He missed two games last season with a calf injury, snapping a streak of 93 consecutive games played.

Contract talk

The agent for receiver Jerricho Cotchery said he had "productive talks" with the Steelers at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Cotchery, an unrestricted free agent, caught 16 passes for 237 yards and two touchdowns last season. The eight-year veteran would play a more prominent role in the offense next season with Hines Ward's departure. Cotchery, 29, is seeking a multiyear contract.

"Jerricho Cotchery would very much like to be back," agent Jack Scharf said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1nvzfYdQx (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_784441.html#ixzz1nvzfYdQx)

Oviedo
03-02-2012, 08:52 AM

come on Ovi, now you're just plain being silly...

don't you know how complex our defense is? :stirpot

Sorry...I forgot the union mandated three year apprenticeship that must be served on defense.

I sometimes think the so called complexity of our defense only fools us at times. It definitley fooled us the last play of the Denver game and the long passes Denver completed before then.

I actually like the fact we are shedding veteran defenders. It may force LeBeau out of his comfort zone. The guy has a great mind, but IMO he has been on cruise control the past couple of years with the veterans he had. We need new, fresh and innovative to match what offenses are doing.

Chucktownsteeler
03-02-2012, 09:04 AM
It certainly appears time for Farrior to hang them up. He is 37 years old and a lot of mileage on that body.

He just might be the most under-rated Steelers of all-time. His stats year in and year out are amazing. I don't think he has missed many games or been on the IR. I still really believe he should have been the defensive MVP the year they gave it to Ed Reed.

James - Thanks for the memories!

C-town

Djfan
03-02-2012, 10:17 AM
He is one of my all time favorite Steelers. I get the age and production drop thing, but it will be a sad day when he is gone.

I'll still wear his jersey on game days.

feltdizz
03-02-2012, 10:41 AM
It's Farrior or Foote and I thought Farrior would get the nod but I guess not.

How much younger and cheaper is Foote?

RuthlessBurgher
03-02-2012, 04:20 PM
It's Farrior or Foote and I thought Farrior would get the nod but I guess not.

How much younger and cheaper is Foote?

Foote's 31 and Farrior is 37.

I believe Foote actually was due to make more than Farrior this year, actually ($3 million vs. $2.85, if I recall correctly).

NorthCoast
03-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Sadly, Farrior in the last quarter of the past two seasons faded badly. Sixteen games takes a toll even on young guys and it was clear more than a few times Farrior was at least two steps too slow to the play.

This may be a 'soft rebuild' season for the Steelers, so I expect some very uneven play early in the season.