PDA

View Full Version : Per Art Rooney, Hines Ward will be released

toddjammin
02-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Art Rooney made the announcement today. Hines, you will be missed.

Chadman
02-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Although we kinda knew it was coming- still leaves that hollow feeling in the stomach.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-29-2012, 06:41 PM
what a warrior.

just loved watching this man play football.

LordVile
02-29-2012, 06:43 PM
cheers! :Beer
my fav STEELER of all time.... thanks for the inspiration.. gona buy me another Ward Jersey when they sell em' on the cheap...

phillyesq
02-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Although we kinda knew it was coming- still leaves that hollow feeling in the stomach.

:Agree

If Hines wants to spend a year in AZ with the old gang, I can handle that, but otherwise, I hope that he walks away.

I don't think I'll ever enjoy watching another WR as much as I enjoyed Hines.

hawaiiansteel
02-29-2012, 06:48 PM

that's exactly how i first felt upon hearing of the official announcement this morning.

Hines, you will be missed (except by Crash, of course) :roll:

JAR
02-29-2012, 06:50 PM
A sad day, I hope he just retires a Steeler.

The Steelers announced today that they will sever ties with receiver Hines Ward.

"We had a conversation today with Hines Ward and informed him that we plan to release him of his contract prior to the start of the 2012 NFL calendar year," Steelers president Art Rooney II said in a report on the team's website. "Hines has been an integral part of our success since we drafted him in 1998, and we will forever be grateful for what he has helped us achieve. He has meant so much to this organization, both on and off the field, and we appreciate his efforts over the past 14 years. Hines' accomplishments are numerous, and he will always be thought of as one of the all-time great Steelers. We wish him nothing but the best."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 84165.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_784165.html)

Steelgal
02-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Got a tweet announcing it. Definately a sad day for Steeler nation, but most knew it was coming. Hopefully he retires, but something tells me he still wants to play.

Steelgal
02-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Across the bottom on NFLN, there's quotes from HInes thanking the Rooneys, teammates, coaches and fans. He also said he's still interested in playing in the NFL next season.

Dee Dub
02-29-2012, 06:59 PM
It is sad but this is what is best for the Pittsburgh Steelers. This makes them better. They need to do the same with James Farrior.

I do not want to see a 37 year, 8 month old LB on the field next year. He is done.

Sugar
02-29-2012, 07:04 PM
A class act and a great player. I'm sure his locker room leadership will be missed and hope that the young guys can step up.

RuthlessBurgher
02-29-2012, 07:05 PM
I will be sure to wear my Ward #86 to Heinz to honor Hines for the home opener this year.

Thanks for everything, Psycho Ward.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1161382_o.gif

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/106531_o.gif

http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/126521/hines-ward.gif

I expect the team to keep Wallace and bring back Cotchery, but if they are unable to do those things, I'd imagine that the team would be bring Ward back to "Hines" Field again.

Steelgal
02-29-2012, 07:10 PM
John Clayton just spoke on ESPN and talked about the Hines release. He said there's also a few other cuts expected, but didn't speculate who. Don't know if he has any inside information or just guessing.

hawaiiansteel
02-29-2012, 07:27 PM
It is sad but this is what is best for the Pittsburgh Steelers. This makes them better. They need to do the same with James Farrior.

I do not want to see a 37 year, 8 month old LB on the field next year. He is done.

who do you suggest we draft to take Farrior's place at ILB? :D :stirpot

LordVile
02-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Via Hines Twitter: This isn't how I wanted this chapter of my career to end. I did everything in my power to remain a Steeler and finish what I started here 14 years ago. I want to thank the organization, my teammates and coaches and everyone who made my run as a Steeler the best years of my life. To Mr. Rooney, thank you for allowing me to play for one of the greatest organizations in the world. To my fans and in particular, Steeler Nation, thank you for your support and all the great memories. I gave my heart and soul for you every down and I will always bleed black and gold. I do feel that I still have more football left in me and I am looking forward to playing in the NFL, again, this upcoming season.

hawaiiansteel
02-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Via Hines Twitter: This isn't how I wanted this chapter of my career to end. I did everything in my power to remain a Steeler and finish what I started here 14 years ago. I want to thank the organization, my teammates and coaches and everyone who made my run as a Steeler the best years of my life. To Mr. Rooney, thank you for allowing me to play for one of the greatest organizations in the world. To my fans and in particular, Steeler Nation, thank you for your support and all the great memories. I gave my heart and soul for you every down and I will always bleed black and gold. I do feel that I still have more football left in me and I am looking forward to playing in the NFL, again, this upcoming season.

what's up LordVile, how have you been my man? :Cheers

kindlecatsb'ng
02-29-2012, 07:55 PM
I am saddened. :(

Wish only the best for Hines but it will not be the same with him off the team.

Good luck, Hines, and thank you! You and your brilliant smile will be missed.

Kindle

Mister Pittsburgh
02-29-2012, 08:11 PM
I would take Hines inside the 20's any Sunday over Wallace.....Wallace may stretch the field when there is a field to stretch, but inside the 20's there isn't much field to stretch.

DukieBoy
02-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Highest regards to Hines, a Steeler for the Ages, one true Great one. Many thanks for what he has given us.

pittpete
02-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Would love it if Hines retired a Steeler and then joined the Steelers staff as some kind of coach.
Perhaps he could become a WR coach one day or at least teach the O-line how to block :wink:

TD386Steel
02-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Thank You Hines Ward

williar
02-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Very sad :cry: :cry: :cry: Hines was my favorite player..... But if it means keeping Wallace, Brown, Sanders together and maybe adding Cotchery? Well, I guess you gotta take the good with the bad :Beer

Jooser
02-29-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm depressed now. :cry:

Flasteel
02-29-2012, 08:35 PM
I will be sure to wear my Ward #86 to Heinz to honor Hines for the home opener this year.

Thanks for everything, Psycho Ward.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1161382_o.gif

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/106531_o.gif

http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/126521/hines-ward.gif

I expect the team to keep Wallace and bring back Cotchery, but if they are unable to do those things, I'd imagine that the team would be bring Ward back to "Hines" Field again.

Thanks for posting those snippets RB. I had that same hollow feeling in my stomach until I saw some of his greatest hits. That kind of put it in perspective for me and placed an appreciative smile on my face.

Slapstick
02-29-2012, 08:36 PM
This blows.

SteelBucks
02-29-2012, 09:02 PM
WOW. It was the right move but this still sucks.

Thanks for the memories Hines!

steelfin
02-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Say it ain't so...I guess the business side of football dictates when players come and go. The odds of a player ready to retire at the same time the team wants him gone are slim to none...

The question now is do we have any veteran leadership in the WR corp? Surely not one of the 3 youngsters....I am thinking the team will resign Cotchery based on todays announcement. If we lose Wallace and don't resign Cotchery, the WR corp will be marginal at best.

One of my favorite Steeler players of all time....Hines will be missed in the Burg.

Definitely will miss the hard nosed, hard hitting, play with everything you got style of football....

Good luck Hines and thanks for all the great memories!!

SF

Oviedo
02-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Hines Ward = Class Act = Warrior = what a Steeler player should be

Learn from Franco and please don't go and be an afterthought somewhere else. Retire with dignity

hawaiiansteel
02-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Hines Ward = Class Act = Warrior = what a Steeler player should be

Learn from Franco and please don't go and be an afterthought somewhere else. Retire with dignity

Hines won't retire, he has already expressed an interest to play this upcoming season.

I suppose Hines can always play another season for Pittsburgh West... :roll:

pfelix73
02-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Congratulations to #86 on a Super Steelers career. You will be missed!

Maybe if he's unsigned this summer, we'll bring him back...... One can hope....

:tt1

Northern_Blitz
02-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Hines is my favourite Steeler ever.

I will miss the heart he brings to the game. I'm sure he will be missed by team mates as well as fans.

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Steelers make tough but right call on Ward

February, 29, 2012
By Jamison Hensley

The Steelers announced they plan on releasing wide receiver Hines Ward, a situation that was never going to end happily.

Ward was going to either get cut or disappear on the Steelers' bench. The only way there is a perfect ending is when the player decides to retire, and that rarely happens.

"This isn't how I wanted this chapter of my career to end," Ward said in a statement released by his manager. "I did everything in my power to remain a Steeler and finish what I started here 14 years ago."

This is the painful side of sports. Jerry Rice went to the Oakland Raiders and Seattle Seahawks. Tim Brown finished with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Art Monk bounced from the New York Jets to the Philadelphia Eagles. And now, Ward likely will complete his career in a uniform that doesn't have the colors black and gold.

It will go down as one of the toughest decisions the Steelers have ever had to make. But it's the right call.

Don't blame the Steelers for making a logical business move. The Steelers can't pay a fourth-string wide receiver $4 million even if they had the salary-cap room.

The brutal reality is the Steelers no longer needed Ward, who turns 36 in nine days. The Steelers' top three wide receivers -- Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders -- each averaged more than 13 yards per catch. Ward, who ranked fourth on the team with 46 receptions, averaged 8.3.

In his statement, Ward thanked team officials and his fans. "I gave my heart and soul for you every down and I will always bleed black and gold," he said.

But Ward doesn't appear ready to retire as a Steeler.

"I do feel that I still have more football left in me and I am looking forward to playing in the NFL, again, this upcoming season," he said.

There is no guarantee Ward will play in 2012. The only chance Ward has to continue playing is if a team values his leadership and wants a veteran to be its No. 3 receiver.

The Steelers will now turn their attention toward re-signing Jerricho Cotchery (15 catches and two touchdowns in the final eight games) or another free-agent wide receiver.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... -with-ward (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/43242/steelers-make-tough-but-right-call-with-ward)

grotonsteel
03-01-2012, 01:02 AM
Sad to see Hines Ward go..but i thought it was a right decision. Hopefully Steelers can sign Wallace and Cotchery now.

Good Luck Hines in all your future endeavors.

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2012, 02:20 AM
Thank you Hines Ward

by seton hall and steelers on Feb 29, 2012

Hines, I know you probably don't read this but I want to express all the reasons why you are my favorite Steeler of all time and why you will be greatly misses by Steeler's nation.

The first reason why you are my favorite Steeler is because of the way you played football. As a young football player, I always admired your toughness and attitude towards the game despite what you lacked in speed and athleticism. The way you would go over the middle and take a huge hit and still hang on to the ball would always make me smile. The way you would smile after taking a big hit and on the next possession, you go and lay out the player who laid you out. I will always remember your destruction of Keith Rivers and Ed Reed. I will always remember your TD catch in the Super Bowl. I will always remember your great statistics.

However, what I will remember even more was your great attitude towards the game and how you epitomized what being a Steeler is about. The way you would talk about the game was great. However, my favorite attribute about you was the fact that you were willing to teach and mentor people who could potentially take your job. You tried to do it with Plaxico Buress and Santonio Holmes but they would not listen. However, you kept trying and have now taught Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, and Emmanuel Sanders the Steeler's way. Thanks to you, the Steeler's future is bright and we will continue to compete for Super Bowls. Thanks to you, the Ravens, Bengals and every other team was scared of facing our offense because they did not want to get laid out by you. Your contributions to this organization and this league go way beyond your stats and many people will fail to appreciate how great you are as a player.

I can't wait to see you put into your proper place in Canton. Thank you for helping us win two Super Bowls and thank you for being a class act and a perfect representation for this organization. Thank you for helping to shape me as a person and a football player today and best of luck wherever you play and coach in the future. I wish you nothing but the best.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... hines-ward (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/2/29/2834138/thank-you-hines-ward)

flippy
03-01-2012, 06:06 AM
I have a feeling eerily similar to when we lost our last SuperBowl.

Oviedo
03-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Sad to see Hines Ward go..but i thought it was a right decision. Hopefully Steelers can sign Wallace and Cotchery now.

Signing Cotchery becomes more of a priority now. His experience and skill would be a great benefit to a still young WR group with lots of questions:

1. Can Brown put two good seasons together?
2. Can Wallace become a more complete WR?
3. Can Sanders make it through a season healthy?

Never thought I would see this day with Ward, but it was clear last season this was going to happen. I just hope he doesn't go somewhere to be a 3rd or 4th string receiver and retires.

They need to release Farrior and Smith now and start the new era and see if the new generation of players have what it takes. We'll never know holding on to over the hill veterans.

NC Steeler Fan
03-01-2012, 09:54 AM
OMG.

I am officially in mourning.

Actually, I think I'm kinda numb. And, maybe a little sick.

My head knows it's football and it will happen many times over again.

But, my heart is broken... :(

RKSteel
03-01-2012, 09:58 AM

Signing Cotchery becomes more of a priority now. His experience and skill would be a great benefit to a still young WR group with lots of questions:

Never thought I would see this day with Ward, but it was clear last season this was going to happen. I just hope he doesn't go somewhere to be a 3rd or 4th string receiver and retires.

They need to release Farrior and Smith now and start the new era and see if the new generation of players have what it takes. We'll never know holding on to over the hill veterans.
This maybe a wake up call to Smith and Farrior to retire, if the Steelers can release Ward, there are not untouchable.

feltdizz
03-01-2012, 10:08 AM

This maybe a wake up call to Smith and Farrior to retire, if the Steelers can release Ward, there are not untouchable.

Was Farrior benched last year? Is there 2 or 3 ILB's on our team outplaying him? Has he played 16 games the last 3 years?

I don't think Farrior has any reason to wake up.... he isn't as fast as he used to be but he isn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be. I think he has one more year before we let him go.

feltdizz
03-01-2012, 10:14 AM

I understand your thoughts on Smith but I'm not sold on Farrior being over the hill. It's not like he doesn't practice and looks lost out on the field. The guy gets beat a few times in coverage by RB's that beat the best of the best and all of a sudden it's time for Farrior to go.

I'm all about the youth movement but I think Farrior's knowledge and grasp of the playbook buys him a little more time with us.

As far as Crotchery is concerned... we may need him for depth but he isn't going to teach the young kids anything they don't already know. I think Hines did a fine job with these guys and they play at a high level.

I would like to see Farrior's replacement play at a high level before getting rid of him.

steelnation
03-01-2012, 12:09 PM
I wish the Rooney 's would show a little more compassion for the all-time leading reciever in steelers history. Hines will be missed.

BDESteel
03-01-2012, 12:15 PM
I may be the biggest Hines fan of all. I know winning games will help make things better, but I don't know if I can show up on Sunday's and cheer with the same enthusiasm knowing Hines won't be there.

I'm gonna miss you Homie!

:( :( :( :x

RKSteel
03-01-2012, 12:28 PM

Was Farrior benched last year? Is there 2 or 3 ILB's on our team outplaying him? Has he played 16 games the last 3 years?

I don't think Farrior has any reason to wake up.... he isn't as fast as he used to be but he isn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be. I think he has one more year before we let him go.When he starts losing playing time to Foote, yeah, he might not be as good as he once was. How do you know if another ILB can be as good when rookies or 1-2nd yr players never get a chance? If the Steelers draft an ILB in the first rd, no matter who, does anyone here really think he will start?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks for everything Hines...You will always be in my heart.

Just please don't try to paint a picture that the Steelers are the bad guys. It is just the business and they were in a tight spot based upon your production and cap number. Saying you will take a cut and playing for 1.5 mil wasn't going to happen. You still want to play but it isn't only the coaching staff that doesn't think you can play anymore. You own a phone and could have reached out to the Steelers and found out if you were in there plans. When they told you they were moving on...You could have taken the right way out with the fireworks & parades and said you were hanging it up. You still think you could play and want to play and that is your right. I'm a Steelers fan first & always. It was your choice not to retire a Steelers. What else can you achieve that would make you anymore of hall of famer? Nothing. The End.

NorthCoast
03-01-2012, 01:53 PM
While we have sadness for the moment, this announcement is all about the future for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Hines is not the future. Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Cotchery are the future.
We can honor him for his past deeds, but no one realistically believes those deeds can be matched or even approached by Hines anywhere else. At best, he is a No.2 elsewhere, but more likely he is a No. 3. Our current No. 3 is better than Hines.

Eich
03-01-2012, 01:58 PM
I wish the Rooney 's would show a little more compassion for the all-time leading reciever in steelers history. Hines will be missed.

MORE COMPASSION?? !!! The last contract they gave to Ward made him the highest paid receiver in the team's history at the time. How much compassion do you want for a receiver that can no longer compete with our current stable of guys?

Hines has made far more money by his mid 30's than 99.99% of us will ever come close to earning in our lifetime. He's rich, he's famous, he's got 2 super bowl rings and a super bowl MVP. He'll be enshrined at Heinz field and likely enshrined in the Hall of Fame one day.

They even went the extra mile to get Hines his 1000 receptions with the Steelers when that really wasn't in team's best interest. What more would you really want the Rooney's to do? !! Pay him another $4M to sit the bench for another year?

ikestops85
03-01-2012, 02:53 PM

Just please don't try to paint a picture that the Steelers are the bad guys. It is just the business and they were in a tight spot based upon your production and cap number. Saying you will take a cut and playing for 1.5 mil wasn't going to happen. You still want to play but it isn't only the coaching staff that doesn't think you can play anymore. You own a phone and could have reached out to the Steelers and found out if you were in there plans. When they told you they were moving on...You could have taken the right way out with the fireworks & parades and said you were hanging it up. You still think you could play and want to play and that is your right. I'm a Steelers fan first & always. It was your choice not to retire a Steelers. What else can you achieve that would make you anymore of hall of famer? Nothing. The End.

Hines has only said good things about the Steelers. I'm not sure where you are going with this. The guy is class and exemplifies everthing we want in a Steeler player. If he still wants to play another year then more power to him. I wish him well everytime he steps on the field except when he plays us.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-01-2012, 03:49 PM

Hines has only said good things about the Steelers. I'm not sure where you are going with this. The guy is class and exemplifies everthing we want in a Steeler player. If he still wants to play another year then more power to him. I wish him well everytime he steps on the field except when he plays us.

"This isn't how I wanted this chapter of my career to end. I did everything in my power to remain a Steeler and finish what I started here 14 years ago. I want to thank the organization, my teammates and coaches and everyone who made my run as a Steeler the best years of my life. To Mr. Rooney, thank you for allowing me to play for one of the greatest organizations in the world. To my fans and in particular, Steeler Nation, thank you for your support and all the great memories. I gave my heart and soul for you every down and I will always bleed black and gold. I do feel that I still have more football left in me and I am looking forward to playing in the NFL, again, this upcoming season."

You don't have to tell me about Hines Ward. The classy Hines Ward I knew would have left out the part in the red and not try to paint a picture where the Steelers were the bad guys. The coaching staff didn't want him because he can't play anymore. It isn't there fault. You had a HOF career for the Steelers. Don't seperate your gesture from the business of the game. You understand it is a business decision and want to thank the Steelers. You want to play somewhere else. Very good. Don't try and gain the appeal of the Steeler fans when the right decision was made based upon where you are at in your career. Move on with the class we remember.

feltdizz
03-01-2012, 04:23 PM
he was sincere... nothing wrong with being frustrated it didn't end the way he wanted it to.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-01-2012, 04:40 PM
he was sincere... nothing wrong with being frustrated it didn't end the way he wanted it to.

I could understand the frustration. I just have a problem with him taking that jab. Let it be.

Eich
03-01-2012, 05:17 PM

I could understand the frustration. I just have a problem with him taking that jab. Let it be.

I didn't see it as a big deal. But I would have prefered that he was more positive in the opening of the statement, if not the entire statement.

ikestops85
03-01-2012, 05:35 PM

Wow ... all the great stuff he said about the organization and the fans and this is what you pick out. Amazing!! :Binky

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Report: Ward wasn't offered a pay cut by Steelers

By Dan Hanzus NFL.com
Published: March 1, 2012

Hines Ward might be remembered as an all-time Steeler, but it appears the team didn't waver over ending its relationship with the 14-year veteran.

One day after the Steelers announced their plans to release the durable wideout, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Thursday that Ward wasn't offered a chance to take a pay cut.

Ward had two years and $8 million remaining on his contract. The Steelers dropped him out of their starting lineup Nov. 13 in Cincinnati, and he played sparingly for the remainder of the season.

The plan to replace Ward already might be in place, as Jerricho Cotchery's agent told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he has had "productive talks" with the team regarding his client.

Ben Roethlisberger, the quarterback in both of Pittsburgh's Super Bowl seasons during Ward's tenure, praised the wideout's contribution to the Steelers.

"Hines is Black and Gold," Ben Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette on Thursday. "I see him and wonder what it'll be like for me late in my career, things like that. It's hard. Two of my favorite players growing up, Joe Montana and Jerry Rice, they're still 49ers. Hines will always be a Steeler."

Ward, 35, could conceivably try to catch on with another team, but Roethlisberger is right: Some guys will only be remembered in one uniform.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... y-steelers (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827510ca/article/report-ward-wasnt-offered-a-pay-cut-by-steelers)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-02-2012, 12:26 PM

Wow ... all the great stuff he said about the organization and the fans and this is what you pick out. Amazing!! :Binky

There is exactly the classy Hines Ward from "I want to thank my teammates". I luv Hines Ward and always will but...he he took a jab at the organization before he thanked them. It was a sneer before he said the right things. I don't think any less of him...Just shaking my head at it. You don't have to acknowledge it or agree with it. There have been several beloved Steelers released...We will see if they say the right things.

Slapstick
03-02-2012, 01:29 PM
You're being kind of silly.

What was Hines supposed to say?

"Thank God, the Steelers let me out of this hellhole."

Hines wanted to remain a Steeler. He indicates that in the very first line of his statement. It has nothing to do with taking a jab at anyone as much as lamenting the abrupt end of his 14 year tenure with the team.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-02-2012, 01:53 PM

Hines wanted to remain a Steeler. He indicates that in the very first line of his statement. It has nothing to do with taking a jab at anyone as much as lamenting the abrupt end of his 14 year tenure with the team.

Has anyone else said "I told them I would have taken a pay cut." No. If you don't see it...So be it. They didn't contact him about a paycut even after he said he would be willing to. Only one who went to the media because he knew it was coming. He is bitter. I get it...but be a professional. He could have said his whole statement without the first sentence. If you don't see leading off with that sentence for what it is you are probably someone who feels scornful towards the Steelers for what went down. I see it for what it is.

feltdizz
03-02-2012, 01:57 PM

Has anyone else said "I told them I would have taken a pay cut." No. If you don't see it...So be it. They didn't contact him about a paycut even after he said he would be willing to. Only one who went to the media because he knew it was coming. He is bitter. I get it...but be a professional. He could have said his whole statement without the first sentence. If you don't see leading off with that sentence for what it is you are probably someone who feels scornful towards the Steelers for what went down. I see it for what it is.

Nothing wrong with Hines being bitter... and after that sentence everything else was professional.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-02-2012, 02:12 PM

Nothing wrong with Hines being bitter... and after that sentence everything else was professional.
So you agree with me. Like I said, after the first sentence. I also said "I get it" about being bitter. I could think of many words to describe his first sentence...None of them would be "professional".

"The organization has always been good to me. It was a great run in Pittsburgh. I have no problem with them at all. I think it was a tough decision that they had to make, and it was one they had to make and they did it in the right way."

You know who said that? You want to know what it is like to bite your tongue and show respect for the organization that you praise and have nothing but good things to say. Being a professional on the way out the door. I give him Respect right back.

Joey Porter

Slapstick
03-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Hines: "You know what? Actually, this is how I wanted this chapter of my career to end! I'm actually super-duper pleased that the Steelers decided to release me, because I never actually enjoyed being here."

Would that be better?

feltdizz
03-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Hines trailer for the new batman movie was a pretty good indicator that his time was coming to an end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yh6SriA ... _embedded# (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yh6SriAjdE&feature=player_embedded#)!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Hines: "You know what? Actually, this is how I wanted this chapter of my career to end! I'm actually super-duper pleased that the Steelers decided to release me, because I never actually enjoyed being here."

Would that be better?

I want to thank the organization, my teammates and coaches and everyone who made my run as a Steeler the best years of my life. To Mr. Rooney, thank you for allowing me to play for one of the greatest organizations in the world. To my fans and in particular, Steeler Nation, thank you for your support and all the great memories. I gave my heart and soul for you every down and I will always bleed black and gold. I do feel that I still have more football left in me and I am looking forward to playing in the NFL, again, this upcoming season."

That would have been better. He took a jab at the team. Try to make them out to be the bad guys in the face of the fans. It didn't start there...It started when he went public to say he was willing to take a pay cut because he knew it was coming. The coaches didn't want him anymore. Sorry it hurts you so much he is gone. You will get over it. If you were a Steelers fan, the slap in the face before he said "I love you" would pi$$ you off too.

feltdizz
03-02-2012, 05:01 PM

Would that be better?

I want to thank the organization, my teammates and coaches and everyone who made my run as a Steeler the best years of my life. To Mr. Rooney, thank you for allowing me to play for one of the greatest organizations in the world. To my fans and in particular, Steeler Nation, thank you for your support and all the great memories. I gave my heart and soul for you every down and I will always bleed black and gold. I do feel that I still have more football left in me and I am looking forward to playing in the NFL, again, this upcoming season."

That would have been better. He took a jab at the team. Try to make them out to be the bad guys in the face of the fans. It didn't start there...It started when he went public to say he was willing to take a pay cut because he knew it was coming. The coaches didn't want him anymore. Sorry it hurts you so much he is gone. You will get over it. If you were a Steelers fan, the slap in the face before he said "I love you" would pi$$ you off too.

I didn't read it that way...

I read it as Hines letting the fans know that he was willing to do anything to stay here.

I really respect your football knowledge JPN but I'm not sure why you needed to throw in the "If you were a Steeler fan, because someone appreciates Hines honesty.

As far as J.Porter goes... I loved dude but he talked real dirty about the FO on NFLN before his last season. He was way more disrespectful then those 2 lines you are using against Hines.

"That was just the only argument I didn't feel comfortable with. Here I am the leader of the team, so you say, and I just want to know what my long-term future is going to be.

I'm telling you right now I don't want to leave. I don't want to go nowhere. Am I wrong for asking for an extension? Does that make you a bad guy because you want to secure your future? You're telling me he (Maddox) can do it. I want to do it, too. I go to work every day like they do. It's just a tough situation when you have all these players on the team fighting just as hard as everybody else, and you're going to have one rule for one person and not the rest of the team."

These are grown men and there is nothing wrong with letting the fans and FO know how you feel when you want to stay and they are moving on without you.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-02-2012, 08:52 PM
I will have to respect everyone's opinions and interpretation of what Ward said. I feel he didn't need that first sentence. I understand his frustration but I am also sure none of these cuts were easy for the FO and the Rooneys. Maybe my perspective is different, because I am taking into consideration who didn't want him and who was forced to make the decision. Maybe what bothers me is that his comment in theory is directed to the decision makers who are not on the sideline but I know the bitterness is towards the coaching staff. The reason I feel this was now is because I realized that his first sentence bothered me but I would not have had a problem with him adding to that sentence, "but the coaching staff didn't feel I could still play this game." So feeling that wouldn't have bothered me...Makes me feel perhaps he just chose the wrong words and I just needed to fill in the blanks that maybe his words were not said to be deliberate. If I bad mouth or offended anyone I appologize.

Felt- I remember Porter's interviews when there was speculation. I referred to after it was all said and done....When the mud slinging was done...The Mr Peezy...Who was such a vocal player and expressed his feelings leading up to it....Took the high road which was refreshing to hear. I guess he set a bar too high for me to expect everyone else to hit.

Slapstick
03-03-2012, 12:02 AM
What Porter did was no different. It may have actually been worse.

We all saw this coming, but I would guess that 99% of the board didn't want this chapter of Hines' career to end this way, but I, for one, am not insulting the Steelers when I say that.

I didn't interpret that as some kind of shot at the Steelers. I took it as an expression of regret.

hawaiiansteel
03-03-2012, 01:47 AM
Lasting memories of Hines Ward

posted by Dale Lolley

The Steelers made the tough, but logical, choice on Wednesday and announced their plans to release wide receiver Hines Ward.

Perhaps it's fitting that it occurred on Feb. 29, Leap Year.

One of my lasting memories of Ward and there are plenty will be his half-skip, half-leap in the end zone after catching the game-clinching touchdown pass from Antwaan Randle El in Super Bowl XL.

For 14 seasons, Ward has personified the Steelers organization. He was tough. He was gritty. He was a football player.

In an age when many wide receivers have been me-first prima donnas, Ward worked his tail off in all facets of the game.

When he was a special teams player, he was the best special teams player he could be. When he was needed as a blocker, he threw himself into it with reckless abandon. When he was relegated to being a backup, he did so gracefully.

Here's hoping he takes the giant hint the Steelers gave him Wednesday and doesn't attempt to try and come back another season elsewhere.

The Steelers made it quite obvious that they don't feel he can play any longer.

Their concerted effort to get him 1,000 receptions made their intentions obvious. They didn't want the season to end with Ward short of his goal because they were pretty sure they weren't going to bring him back.

And now that's the case.

Some will say that because of what Ward has meant for the team, the Steelers owed him the opportunity to come back.

But that's ridiculous. The Steelers took care of their debt to Ward in Week 17 in Cleveland when they got him his 1,000th catch.

They told him they didn't think he could play any longer.

He is choosing not to believe them.

And that's a shame.

Maybe Ward will come to his senses soon and realize that at 36, he not only can't, but doesn't need, to play football any longer.

The thought of Ward finishing out his career in another city playing for another team just isn't right.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/