PDA

View Full Version : As long as our collective focus seems to be on ILB presently

RuthlessBurgher
02-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Let's say we don't take Dont'a Hightower in round 1 (maybe someone else takes him before us, maybe he's available but we take someone else we have rated higher, whatever)...how long would you wait until you considered drafting Vontaze Burfict as the ILB to replace Farrior instead? Once upon a time, he looked like he could potentially be the next Ray Lewis...in my best Stephen A. Smith voice...HOW-EV-AH...there have been too many personal foul penalties, a dip in performance last season, fighting with teammates on the practice field and in the locker room, subpar showing in combine drills, and blaming his coaches during media sessions this weekend. Would you use either of your day two picks on him? Mid-round, late-round, off your board entirely? Just curious...

steelz09
02-29-2012, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't pick him at all. I wouldn't mind Poe, DeCastro, Glenn, or Hightower in the 1st though.

So if we picked Poe, DeCastro, or Glenn rather than Hightower then I would seriouslly consider the LB from Boise State.

I like Vontaze Burfict's aggessive style. I really do and I could overlook his "issues" from last year. However, I recently read an article form the Tribune or Gazette where they had several quotes from an interview.

Every comment was placing blame on "others" like his coaches and whatnot. That was a big red flag to me and shows how immature the guy really is. He's about to become a professional football player and I would have thought he'd at least take a little responsibility for his actions instead of casting blame on everything else except himself.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-29-2012, 02:59 PM
If ILB was not addressed in rounds 1 - 3, I would consider him in the 4th "IF" he interviewed well. That being said, I don't think the Steelers wait outside of the 3rd to draft an ILB so I am S.O.O.L.

Oviedo
02-29-2012, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't pick him at all. I wouldn't mind Poe, DeCastro, Glenn, or Hightower in the 1st though.

So if we picked Poe, DeCastro, or Glenn rather than Hightower then I would seriouslly consider the LB from Boise State.

I like Vontaze Burfict's aggessive style. I really do and I could overlook his "issues" from last year. However, I recently read an article form the Tribune or Gazette where they had several quotes from an interview.

Every comment was placing blame on "others" like his coaches and whatnot. That was a big red flag to me and shows how immature the guy really is. He's about to become a professional football player and I would have thought he'd at least take a little responsibility for his actions instead of casting blame on everything else except himself.

I'd also consider Audie Cole from UNC a round or two later.

NW Steeler
02-29-2012, 03:16 PM
I think Burfict's plus 5.0 40 at the combine dropped him in the toilet.

Steel Life
02-29-2012, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't draft him at all...he's a trouble magnet who lacks self-discipline & accountability - ergo not a Steeler lind of guy.

hawaiiansteel
02-29-2012, 03:51 PM

:Agree

squidkid
02-29-2012, 04:09 PM
he still looks like he could be the next ray lewis. this guy has future murderer written all over him

phillyesq
02-29-2012, 04:14 PM
The lack of accountability is a major red flag. The knock on him is also that he is an explosive hitter, but can't fight through blockers or do much other than deliver an explosive hit.

Maybe you take a flyer in round 5 or later. Maybe.

Shawn
02-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Not even in the 7th.

isonator07
02-29-2012, 06:08 PM
I would take a chance on him if he falls as expected. I expect him to slide the way Lagerrette Blount did a couple years ago. I think we have enough veteran leadership to work with a guy like him. The teams that draft the best get great value out of their picks. Getting a guy like Burfict late in the draft would be great value.

As Dub pointed out (about Hightower) in the Hightower thread. Burfict plays faster than his 40 time. If we land him in the 4th or 5th round or later, and comes in with an attitude and is a problem we can cut him. We've cut late picks before.

Chadman
02-29-2012, 06:34 PM
There are so many non-red flag type options that it would be difficult to justify picking him higher than say, 5th or 6th round.

This is a good year for LB- no need to pick up a guarenteed risk.

focosteeler
02-29-2012, 06:35 PM
I would take a chance on him if he falls as expected. I expect him to slide the way Lagerrette Blount did a couple years ago. I think we have enough veteran leadership to work with a guy like him. The teams that draft the best get great value out of their picks. Getting a guy like Burfict late in the draft would be great value.

As Dub pointed out (about Hightower) in the Hightower thread. Burfict plays faster than his 40 time. If we land him in the 4th or 5th round or later, and comes in with an attitude and is a problem we can cut him. We've cut late picks before.

:Agree watching some of his tape he plays much faster. I would love a guy like that to put fear into people, be a emotional leader. If there in the 5th or later I have no issue whatsoever taking him. At that point the positive possiblities completely outweight the negative

hawaiiansteel
02-29-2012, 07:29 PM
he still looks like he could be the next ray lewis. this guy has future murderer written all over him

:D :D

mainesteel83
03-01-2012, 01:49 PM
The Steelers just don't waste their time on guys that have this many problems. If he was a good team player, and just a psychopath, maybe, but otherwise I'd say no. Steelers want guys that play and shut up.