PDA

View Full Version : Bouchette's Chat - 2.28

phillyesq
02-28-2012, 04:43 PM
At the end, he makes another comment about Ziggy at NT.

Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 2.28.12 Tuesday, 28 February 2012 14:49 Written by Ed Bouchette Ed Bouchette: Good afternoon, let's begin
Dude_From_Cali: Ed: you're in charge of draft. Stay put or trade up and lose a second round pick or worse?

Ed Bouchette: I'm not big on moving, although the Steelers have made some good moves on several occasions in the first round, up and down.

SW OH STEELER FAN: I thought I read somewhere that the cap number was going to be lower than what was previously mentioned. Do you have any info?

Ed Bouchette: They haven't come up with it yet (do they have computers?) but everything I've seen is about $120 M. That's a tad lower than last year.

GjSteel: Hi Ed, did you get a chance to talk to Tomlin at the combine..and what does he believe the priority should be on offense..getting an OL or doing what they have been doing

Ed Bouchette: Gerry Dulac covered the combine and no, he did not talk to Mike Tomlin because Tomlin will not talk at the combine.

daver10: Ed, I read where you think Poe may have performed well enough at the combine to put him off the board for the Steelers at #24. Would he be worth moving up for? I questioned when they did it for Troy and boy was I wrong...

Ed Bouchette: We have two months before the draft, let's see if he moves back down in that time.

Bob: Does the weak tight end group in this years draft mean that the steelers will probably try to keep Saunders even with his 4 game suspension?

Ed Bouchette: I would think they will look for another tight end.

Okiesteelerfan: Ed with Dontari Poe bench pressing 44 times at the combine wouldn't he be a perfect #1 draft pick? Do you think we would have to trade up to get him?

Ed Bouchette: I don't think they will trade up to get him, but as I've said, let's see how this plays out. Maybe someone else will pop up that they would use their No. 1 draft pick on? I think they might have traded up had he bench pressed 45 times, though.

Dude_From_Cali: Ed: With new TV deal in 2014 -- is it possible to see some elite QB making 21 Million or higher??? -- my reaction to that number. 0_0

Ed Bouchette: Nice reaction. Wasn't Peyton due $28 million this season that he now will not get?

Clint: Colon and Gilbert seem to be the tackles for 2012, Pouncey at C.. who do you see as the starting guards?

Ed Bouchette: Right now, Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster. But as Tom Donahoe always reminded us, it's February.

nysteel: How about a CB in Round 1? The secondary did not face many elite QBs last year, just Tom Brady.

Ed Bouchette: I'm sure they would not pass on a CB in the first round if they deemed one worthy at that point.

Okiesteelerfan: What's your take on the Peyton Manning fiasco?

Ed Bouchette: I don't know that it's a fiasco. The Steelers have gone through similar fiasco's at many positions, including QB with Terry Bradshaw in 1983-84, although the money wasn't the issue.

Chooch: Are all the contract restructures just creating future cap problems?

Ed Bouchette: Maybe, but the new TV money should explode the cap in, I think, 2014, so that should help.

Clint: The ESPN blogger for the AFC North stated this week Heath Miller is on the decline.. I would argue he is underutilized.. how do you see his play

Ed Bouchette: I did not see that but I would not say he's on the decline. He too turns 30, in October, but I don't see any falloff and, yes, they don't throw to him the way others throw to their tight ends.

weegie thompson: Who will start at CB opposite Ike next year? Maybe a draft pick?

Ed Bouchette: No, I would not think a draft pick. Maybe William Gay will re-sign. If not, I would think you would see Keenan Lewis or one of the two rookies from last season there.

GjSteel: Ed, Colbert talked at the combine...does that mean the Steelers..let the coach do the talk during the season and the GM becomes the leader in the offseason?

Ed Bouchette: Kevin Colbert does not talk during the season for that very reason. I never heard that Mike Tomlin does not talk in the offseason for any reason other than he prefers not to talk and there is no requirement making him talk.

Dude Abides: You have to admit that drafting a guy named Poe and having him dominate the Ravens is almost too good to be true.

Ed Bouchette: Yes, unless the Ravens end up drafting him instead. Then he could be the author of their next Super Bowl win.

weegie thompson: Would the steelers like to play the giants on the Thursday night opener?

Ed Bouchette: The Steelers have always embraced that game and I believe, with the connections between the two franchises, they would love to do so.

trinisteel: Any more vets to be cut??

Ed Bouchette: Well, you know the names of those who could be. I'd guess that Aaron Smith might retire and they may have to decide between Larry Foote and James Farrior, but if you read my blog yesterday, you know that they can reduce the cap easily without making any more severe cuts for salary cap purposes.

Chooch: Should you know it's time to move on to your life's work when you are doing Oscar interviews for the NFL Network?

Ed Bouchette: Sorry, I missed those interviews. But what could be wrong with that kind of work? Seems to me, I'd rather interview Cameron Diaz than a big fat guy named Poe.

Mike: Ed, I know that Max Starks has an ACL injury, but what side of the organization seems intent on getting rid of him? Is it a coaching or front office point of view?

Ed Bouchette: I've always maintained it was the coaching staff, at least some coaches who no longer are here. The front office kept signing Starks to big contracts, and the coaching staff kept demoting him. Starks is a UFA with a torn ACL, so I don't see him signing anywhere anytime soon.

frank pollard: At Tomlin's next press conference, what are the chances that he actually answers questions about Arians?

Ed Bouchette: Well, those questions will be asked. It'll be up to him if he wants to answer them or not.

rich erenburg: When would you expect them to make a decision about Hines Ward?

Ed Bouchette: Within two weeks.

JamesinNYC: Poe, Hightower or Glenn if all three are available to you in the first round. With Poe's combine that looks shaky but who will the Steelers go for? I look at them as similar talent levels at three uniquely different positions.

Ed Bouchette: Poe's combine looked shaky? I wasn't there but everything I've read is just the opposite. I'm not big on drafting ILBs on the first round, but they did it with Lawrence Timmons.

Ryan: How do roster bonuses affect the cap number? is it prorated over the life of the contract like a signing bonus would be?

Ed Bouchette: Roster bonuses count in the year they are given.

Ryan: Whats the latest on Wallace?

Ed Bouchette: He's really, really fast, and he really, really wants to stay with the Steelers -- unless the money is better elsewhere. Nothing new, really. My guess now is that no one will sign him as an RFA -- I don't believe the Steelers will put the franchise tag on him -- and he will return to the Steelers for at least one more year.

Ken: Ed, do you see the Combine becoming something more resembling a TV event in the future? I sure do--complete with "up close and personal" features and obstacle course competitions. It'll go #1 in primetime too.

Ed Bouchette: It's already a TV event and, as they did with the draft, it will evolve into something more as they try to attract more viewers. There's nothing wrong with that, I just won't be among those viewers.

Okiesteelerfan: Since we lose Cotchery does Hines move to #4 if he restructures?

Ed Bouchette: At the moment, yes, but those moments tend to change quickly. For example, no one saw a Cotchery on the horizon this time last year.

Clint: The lack of turnovers last year, do you chalk it up to just a fluke, or do you see there Ed having been a legit cause behind it.. not being able to turn around field position this year hindered the offense

Ed Bouchette: I see a few reasons that we all can speculate about, such as the losses of turnover machines LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison for big chunks, and the continued inability of their defensive backs to catch a football. Also, don't underestimate the fines, etc., on having an effect on the big hits that sometimes cause those turnovers. Other teams, though, were able obviously to produce them so there really is no good explanation for a team that plays such good defense and historically has produced them.

GjSteel: Ed...has any of the PG writers talk to Haley yet...and how was it...?

Ed Bouchette: Well, there was that press conference, and I also chatted with him before that for about 15 minutes. Nothing since. Too early to tell but he comes across as a forthright coach and I have some friends in KC who vouch highly for him.

Bill6: Forget the Patriots and Ravens. I see an NFC team like the Bears wanting to keep up with the Packers and Saints and blowing away Wallace (and the Steelers) with a major offer. Possible?

Ed Bouchette: Have at it then, Chicago.

Ryan: I know it's only February....but what if Mike Adams is best available at 24? Do Steelers take him? And move Colon to guard?

Ed Bouchette: If he is available, from everything I've seen, the Steelers certainly would consider him strongly. And if they did take him, and if he showed he could handle starting immediately, they probably would move Willi to guard. A lot of ifs in those sentences

Jon from Robinson: What's your take on wide receiver? Are the Steelers able to keep Wallace, Brown and Sanders?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, they can do so easily for 2012 keep all three, and if they choose to pay Wallace a big contract, they can keep them all in 2013 because Brown and Sanders will be RFA next year.

lupe sanchez: If they don't bring back Hines, aren't they short at WR depth? Who thinks he isn't even valuable as a 4th or 5th WR?

Ed Bouchette: That is among my arguments for keeping him. They have the Young Money Trio, provided someone does not sign Wallace in free agency. There is room for two more spots and they are not both likely to be filled by rookies.

JerseySteel: Ed, if Wallace ends up on another team, do you take those two 1st round draft choices to move up for a better quality player like maybe DeCastro, move down for extra picks or stand pat?

Ed Bouchette: Can't tell what the Steelers will do, but I'd stand pat, or perhaps move up with one by packaging my No. 2 or No. 3 pick.

Mike: Is it silly to believe that with Harrison, Woodley, and Timmons in place at LB the steelers could get rid of both Farrior and Foote and go with a B-list UFA or somebody already on the roster?

Ed Bouchette: Then, who is your other starter at ILB?

Jon from Robinson: In a weird kind of way I want the Steelers to get a first round pick for Wallace now. If that unfolds, any chance Cotchery sticks for number 3 receiver money?

Ed Bouchette: The problem with that is, free agency begins for both players on March 13. Usually, it takes awhile for a team to sign a RFA. Once they do, the Steelers have 7 days to decide if they want to match or not. Would Cotchery wait around that long if he has a decent offer quickly on the table?

Mike: Would the steelers entertain letting Wallace go and getting an additional first round pick and focusing on re-signing Antonio brown instead?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I believe they would, but they won't re-sign Brown this year.

JerseySteel: Ed, Hightower = Leon Kirkland? They seem to be around the same height and weight and want to see what Hightower runs in the 40.

Ed Bouchette: Except Kirkland lasted until the second round. That's not going to happen with Hightower.

Clint: Who was the last guy the Steelers traded up for other than Troy P. in Round 1?

Ed Bouchette: Santonio Holmes

mikeflores16: Does the coaching staff not believe Sylvester has what it takes to be a full-time starter?

Ed Bouchette: It doesn't appear so, no.

charlie: pretty sure the earlier comment about Poe being "shaky" was referring to the likelihood he'd be available at 24

Ed Bouchette: Okay, if so I misunderstood.

WW: Ed, who's the fastest Steeler of all time? Wallace? Dwight Stone? Woodson?

Ed Bouchette: There was only one with the name, Fast Willie Parker. Woodson was an Olympics-quality hurdler. Stone, I believe, was the fastest.

Lambertlunatic: Ed, I know you're a big fan of the 70's uniforms with the "block" numbers, etc. Do you think Nike will pursue this style as the Steelers new throwback?

Ed Bouchette: No because they are too close to their current uniforms.

Dave: They want Ben to tweak his game, but after the Denver debacle, do they want LeBeau to tweak his defense?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, he wold like to tweak it by having Ryan Clark and a healthy LaMarr Woodley and Casey Hampton able to play.

Ryan: McClendon's listed weight is 280, so why the talk of him being the successor to Hampton as a 3-4 NT?

Ed Bouchette: I don't know if we've heard that talk here. He's the only real backup now, but if they don't get someone else, I'd say Ziggy Hood is more logical.

Ed Bouchette: Thanks for the questions. I believe we're moving the chat next Tuesday to 3:30 p.m. because I have another assignment. Check my blog and the PG for the precise time.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Mike: Ed, I know that Max Starks has an ACL injury, but what side of the organization seems intent on getting rid of him? Is it a coaching or front office point of view?

Ed Bouchette: I've always maintained it was the coaching staff, at least some coaches who no longer are here. The front office kept signing Starks to big contracts, and the coaching staff kept demoting him. Starks is a UFA with a torn ACL, so I don't see him signing anywhere anytime soon.

Don't remember who the discussion was with, but a few months ago or so I was going back and forth with another poster regarding what I said was unfair demotion of Max. I said that he was not given a fair shake wrt playing time, and that when he was replaced by Colon at RT (and we still had Marvel at LT) it was not on merit that he lost his job, he was being worked at LT and did not get a fair chance to compete in front of new coaches for his incumbent position.

The poster did not remember the scenario - too young I think - but said that it must not have been so because the coaches would not do this to a player who had received a franchise tag and was getting paid so much money.

hawaiiansteel
03-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 3.6.12

TUESDAY, 06 MARCH 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Ed Bouchette: Good afternoon, let's begin.

Adam: With Poe rising out of reach of the Steelers, I have seen many mock drafts with the Steelers taking Hightower. Is he a good fit in your opinion?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, although you'd probably rather see them take a nose tackle.

Mike: If the Patriots or 49ers were to make a play for Mike Wallace, would the steelers consider releasing Larry Foote and/or Casey Hampton in an attempt to keep him (Wallace)?

Ed Bouchette: Hampton is recovering from torn ACL surgery, so to release him would cost at least half of his salary. I think if either team signed Wallace, if the contract is too high, they will let him go and take the first-round draft pick in return.

mikeflores16: Any chance Steelers try to pick up G or ILB via free agency?

Ed Bouchette: yes, there's always a chance that in their trolling at the bottom of the free agency pool they could snag one for not-too-much. Not a good chance, though.

Taz: Hi Ed, When will RFA tags be made known? I see that Wallace will get a 1st round RFA tender, but I haven't seen anywhere that it's become official. Seems like they must still be trying to come to a real multi-year deal.

Ed Bouchette: The tender must be placed on him from now until 4 p.m. Tuesday. Don't think it's been issued yet on any of their RFAs.

Lorax: If the steelers are unable to sign Wallace might they turn their attention to Antonio Brown?

Ed Bouchette: Not until after next season.

Taz: Hi Ed. Thanks for chatting. The Steelers have announced that they WILL cut Smith, Farrior, Ward, and Kemoeatu, but HAVE they actually done so? If not, when do the cuts become official so that those players can begin to seek other teams?

Ed Bouchette: Even if they cut them today, they cannot sign anywhere until March 13 starting at 4 p.m. I don't think they've actually released them yet. The suspense, though, is killing me.

Steel Curtain Rising: Ed, do you agree with the conventional wisdom that the Steelers would have little or nothing to fear of a league-wide bounty investigation?

Ed Bouchette: Truly, I have no idea. I have never heard a hint of such a thing, but reporters in those other cities may not have heard either. It's not like the players were talking openly about it.

Adam: Which is more likely: The Steelers match a big contract offered by another team to Wallace or the Steelers offer a long extension to Wallace?

Ed Bouchette: They've probably already offered him a long extension, or at least talked to his agent about one.

Steel Curtain Rising: It came down to Farrior or Foote, based on what you know what was the determining factor in the nod towards Foote?

Ed Bouchette: I was told awhile ago that the decision would come down to whether they wanted to keep the old guy or the slow guy.

Adam: With the current Defensive lineup (pre draft) can the Steelers continue to stop the run and pressure the QB?

Ed Bouchette: It's become more important to stop the pass and with Woodley and Harrison healthy, yes, I think they can pressure the QB.

mikeflores16: How concerned is the staff about Sanders' ability to stay healthy?

Ed Bouchette: Until he shows he can stay healthy, I would think there is some concern, especially since both of his feet have had problems, in addition to a knee, and at his young age.

Chooch: Since no restricted FA with a 1st round tender has signed an offer sheet league-wide in over 10 years, isn't all of the talk about Mike Wallace possibly getting an offer just a bunch of hot air?

Ed Bouchette: I'm on record as believing no team will sign him. However, the rules were different before this year, requiring draft picks in the first and third rounds for the high tenders. So, maybe there is some team out there who believes the Mike Wallace of the first half of last season will put them over the top.

Steel Curtain Rising: Ed, in year's past Mike Tomlin went out of his way to sing Hines Ward's praises, yet as you pointed out Tomlin did not tell Hines about his bench and Tomlin made no statement upon Hines release. What changed in their relationship?

Ed Bouchette: Coaches say -- and don't say -- things that often fit their purpose more than anything.

HotRod: do they have legit interest in Plaxico? or he is only an option if they lose Wallace & Cotchery?

Ed Bouchette: I would think if they lost Wallace and Cotchery, they would have an interest in all kinds of receivers, including Burress.

Horton: Any names that you are hearing through the grape vine with regards to draft prospects?

Ed Bouchette: Only from the media and fans, because the Steelers have not come close to formulating their draft board.

Guest: What's the latest on Kirby Wilson and who will be his replacement?

Ed Bouchette: Per a tweet by Marcus Gilbert the other day, Kirby is walking and ready to soon leave the burn unit. That is all I know. I think they hope to have him back on staff in time for the season.

Chooch: Do you see any teams making an offer on any Steeler FAs besides Wallace?

Ed Bouchette: Possibly William Gay, but maybe as a No. 3. Byron Leftwich could go elsewhere as a No. 2 but he wants to stay here in that role.

Adam: I keep seeing Alemeda Ta'amu fall to the Steelers in the second round of Mock Drafts. As second rounds don't usually receive as much attention, is this DT from Washington a good value or will he be average at best?

Ed Bouchette: I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure who might fall to them on the fifth round. You might want to check back, though, because I haven't yet told the Steelers about my inside information on this.

mikeflores16: Any word on whether Keenan Lewis will attract any interest?

Ed Bouchette: Haven't heard any, no, but a team could take a flyer on him because he should not demand a big price.

Horton: Do you think that Cotchery will now re-sign with the steelers?

Ed Bouchette: The Steelers are negotiating with him and if they cannot sign him by Tuesday, look for him to go elsewhere.

Emperor Chaz: Hines Ward will be wearing who's uniform next year?

Ed Bouchette: Maybe the NFL Network's.

Taz: Ed, why the uproar about the Saints now, but when Suggs said in 2008 that they had a bounty on Rashard and Hines, the league basically did nothing? Is the lesson here that the Saints should have just lawyered-up like Suggs did?

Ed Bouchette: No, it probably wasn't politically correct enough back then to crack down on bounties as it is now. Or, maybe the NFL did investigate and found nothing. Who heard about this investigation until the NFL revealed what it had found?

Rob: Ed, what are the chances that Chris Kemo or James Farrior sign with another team?

Ed Bouchette: I think someone will sign Chris K, not sure Farrior will find another team.

Roy Gerela: Ed What do make of the Browns using their Tag on Phil Dawson?

Ed Bouchette: Why not? It's cheap to tag a kicker. Remember that the Steelers did it to Jeff Reed the year before they released him.

Scott: What is your sense about what the Steelers will do about ILB now that Farrior is gone?

Ed Bouchette: Foote and Timmons, and draft one.

Horton: Are the coaches feeling comfortable with Cameron Heyward's progress and that he will be able to be a bigger contributor next season?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I believe they do.

chuck: Will the released Steelers will be replaced with draft picks only??

Ed Bouchette: Aaron Smith and Hines Ward were replaced by draft picks long before they were released. They do need to find another inside linebacker for Farrior. And they have to find some guards because they are thin there.

FoolBack: Ed, don't you think this "bounty" issue is actually less concerning than "Spygate"? If I'm the Saints, I'd be livid if my penalty was more harsh than what the Pats received.

Ed Bouchette: Spygate gave the New England Patriots and illegal and unfair advantage over opponents. Bountygate merely paid players for what they do anyway, albeit illegal under NFL rules.

Mungo Jerry: If Larry Foote is released will Rex Ryan pick him up since he has such an obsession with feet?

Ed Bouchette: What makes you think Foote will be released? They released Farrior; they CAN'T release Foote too.

Ryan: What are Troy Smiths chances of making the team?

Ed Bouchette: Only chance would be as a No. 3 QB, and he'd have to knock out Charlie Batch for that.

Fed Up Steeler Fan: NFL and Steelers are making record profits and they raise ticket prices. I'm done!

Ed Bouchette: Good bye. Hope you find some place that doesn't raise ticket prices. Oh, and if you are a season ticket holder who will be giving up your seats, they will be gobbled up by the next guy who has been on their waiting list to buy them for 25 years. It's all about supply and demand.

Adam: How many compensatory picks do you suspect the Steelers will get and in which rounds?

Ed Bouchette: It's hard to figure out that system, but if they get any I would figure one in the seventh round.

Okiesteeler fan: Any 2012 schedule release date from the NFL offices yet?

Ed Bouchette: it's usually in April.

The Wiz: Am I crazy for thinking Wallace leaving and getting a first round pick in exchange is a good thing for the Steelers? I thought he regressed quite a bit in the 2nd half of last year, and I would rather spend that kind of money on other needs. If they can resign Cotchery, we have bigger needs. Thoughts?

Ed Bouchette: My thoughts? Call me crazy too.

columbusjack: Ed, I don't remember seeing MT in the audience during last year's Dancing with the Stars - what do make of that?

Ed Bouchette: You cannot call him crazy.

Harry: Will the steelers lobby to play or not to play in the league opener at the Giants?

Ed Bouchette: That is not something the Steelers would lobby for or against.

ben: What o-lineman do you like that maybe in the steelers grasp in the draft

Ed Bouchette: The kid from Georgia.

Chooch: What do you think will be the penalty given to the Saints and their coach over the bounty investigation?

Ed Bouchette: Listening to all the over-the-top commentary, I would think nothing short of the death penalty.

rob from thomaston,ct: ed do you feel coach Tomlin might be mad or upset that some of the important decision making this year was done by the Rooney's and not Tomlin. its like the Rooney's are creating there team not Tomlin's as a coach

Ed Bouchette: You really should learn to spell just a little if you are going to chat. There is only one instance in which I believe Art Rooney put his foot down, and that was firing Bruce Arians.

Adam: Do you see Mendenhall in a Steelers uniform for the 2013 season?

Ed Bouchette: No.

mikeflores16: Do you see either Hood or Heyward developing into All-Pros?

Ed Bouchette: I'd like to see them start for a full season first.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... cript-3612 (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115236-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-transcript-3612)

Chadman
03-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Chooch: What do you think will be the penalty given to the Saints and their coach over the bounty investigation?

Ed Bouchette: Listening to all the over-the-top commentary, I would think nothing short of the death penalty.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shoe
03-07-2012, 01:26 AM
This chat is so funny... some of the favorites from my younger days (when we were sorry), logging in to shoot questions at Bouchette: Frank Pollard, Lupe Sanchez, even Rich Erenberg!

RuthlessBurgher
03-07-2012, 02:22 PM
You really should learn to spell just a little if you are going to chat.

I realize he's a douche and all, but dayum!!!

hawaiiansteel
03-07-2012, 05:13 PM
my favorite line:

Steel Curtain Rising: It came down to Farrior or Foote, based on what you know what was the determining factor in the nod towards Foote?

Ed Bouchette: I was told awhile ago that the decision would come down to whether they wanted to keep the old guy or the slow guy.