PDA

View Full Version : This makes no sense: Steelers want to sign Gaither

BigRob
02-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Tony Pauline with www.tfydraft (http://www.tfydraft) and si.com is putting this rumor out there:

Look for the Pittsburgh Steelers to make a move for free agent tackle Jared Gaither.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6165

I don't like Pauline's draft analysis, but the man is incredibly connected. What say you? Could the the Steelers make a run at Gaither who may want to return to the AFC North and play against a coach he hates (Harbaugh).

steelz09
02-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Tony Pauline with http://www.tfydraft and si.com is putting this rumor out there:

Look for the Pittsburgh Steelers to make a move for free agent tackle Jared Gaither.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6165

I don't like Pauline's draft analysis, but the man is incredibly connected. What say you? Could the the Steelers make a run at Gaither who may want to return to the AFC North and play against a coach he hates (Harbaugh).

I've always like Gaither to be honest. Granted, I didn't watch him extremely closely but I was surprised when the Ravens let him go.

focosteeler
02-27-2012, 03:17 PM
would he be our backup tackle? or would he be a starter

BigRob
02-27-2012, 03:20 PM
would he be our backup tackle? or would he be a starter

When healthy, he's a better left tackle than anything we've had since Marvel Smith was healthy in the early 2000's.

Steel Life
02-27-2012, 03:29 PM
This is interesting because he fills a position of need & is still young but...Haley cut him from the Chiefs after he had a bad game. He then got picked up by the Chargers & played well in place of Marcus McNeil - whom the Chargers are considering cutting.

Slapstick
02-27-2012, 04:04 PM
He was cut from the Chiefs because he had a bad play...apparently...

Perhaps it wasn't Haley who cut him...after all, wasn't Haley "cut" just a short time later?

steelblood
02-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Gaither was nothing short of dominant for the Chargers down the stretch. But, his back will always be a question mark so he won't be able to break the bank with anyone.

If we could sign him for 4 million or something like that, I'd be all for it. It would give us good depth at tackle.

TallyStiller
02-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Insurance against another Willie Colon injury? Competition so we're not just handing over LT to Marcus Gilbert? One thing that has always impressed me about the Steelers is their ability to keep solid veterans in place so that they're not giving away positions... Depth? If the last few years have taught us ANYTHING, it's that you can never have enough quality depth on the O Line. Also: what was the timing of Gaither's release from KC last year? If Haley liked him and he worked well with Haley it could explain a lot.

fezziwig
02-27-2012, 04:24 PM
With Gilbert getting the nod to play left tackle, does that mean Gaither would be considered a backup ? Also, is it safe to assume Starks won't be on our team this up and coming season ? Is there any chance Starks, can be signed at the minimum to retain him ?

Oviedo
02-27-2012, 04:30 PM
With Gilbert getting the nod to play left tackle, does that mean Gaither would be considered a backup ? Also, is it safe to assume Starks won't be on our team this up and coming season ? Is there any chance Starks, can be signed at the minimum to retain him ?

I like the idea of signing Gaither for all the reasons mentioned. He is experienced and if Gilbert falters he can do the job. Also, maybe this gives them the option of moving Colon inside to RG and putting Gaither at LT and giving Gilbert another year to develop at RT. This opens up things for lots of options.

I am still going to have Max Starks on speed dial though!!!!

fezziwig
02-27-2012, 04:34 PM

I like the idea of signing Gaither for all the reasons mentioned. He is experienced and if Gilbert falters he can do the job. Also, maybe this gives them the option of moving Colon inside to RG and putting Gaither at LT and giving Gilbert another year to develop at RT. This opens up things for lots of options.

that's the first time i heard starks and speed used in the same sentance

hawaiiansteel
02-27-2012, 06:14 PM

me too, i agree that this would give us a lot more options and better OT depth.

phillyesq
02-27-2012, 06:20 PM

me too, i agree that this would give us a lot more options and better OT depth.

:Agree

Having 3 starting caliber OTs, and one with proven ability at LT, can only be a positive. It gives the team depth and options on the OL.

pittpete
02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
You never invest $$$$ into a guy dealing with a bad back.:idea:
Dont bring up Harrison because he is not human

fezziwig
02-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Oh yeah, we've kind of learned with these bad back guys. Probably not a good idea if he has the slightest issues.

hawaiiansteel
03-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Chargers, Jared Gaither talking about new deal

Posted by Josh Alper on March 5, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/610x24.jpg?w=250

Jared Gaither was a pleasant surprise for the Chargers after they claimed him off waivers from the Chiefs last season and San Diego seems interested in keeping him around.

Gaither’s agent Kevin Pompey spoke to Aaron Wilson of Scout.com and said that he and the Chargers have spoken about a new contract for the impending free agent. Gaither stepped in and started the final five games of the year at left tackle for the Chargers, solidifying a spot left open when Marcus McNeill went down with a serious neck injury. Gaither missed the 2010 season with the Ravens with a back injury and then got cut by the Chiefs after a costly false start penalty in a loss to the Steelers.

“Jared has got everything going in the right direction now,” Pompey said. “He’s excited about the Chargers. If that doesn’t work out, then we look forward to free agency. The fact that they want him back is a very positive thing.

With doubts that McNeill can pass a team-mandated physical for his $10 million salary this month and a weak free agent market at tackle, Gaither might be the Chargers’ best option for the spot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -new-deal/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/05/chargers-jared-gaither-talking-about-new-deal/)