PDA

View Full Version : Combine invitees that intrigue me

steelblood
02-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Here are some less talked about guys that intrigue me.

OL

Amini Silatolu G Midwestern State. Apparently, some scouts believe he could start as a rookie. Played tackle in college and is known for his brute strength and nasty attitude. He does not have good foot speed (will run a poor 40), but he is an explosive athlete.

Lamar Holmes OT Southern Miss. Holmes caught my eye at the Shrine game. He has good size and a strong base. He has some athleticism. If he cant make it as a right tackle, he could be a good guard prospect. It will be interesting to see how well he moves and how fluid his kick slide is.

TE

Emil Igwenagu FB UMass. At the Shrine game, Igwenagu really impressed with his pass catching. He showed great hands and body control. As a FB, he fit on linebackers well. It will be interesting to see him at the combine as he will be working out with the tight ends. Could be a good FB especially as a pass protector and receiver.

WR

Junior Hemingway WR Michigan. Hemingway may qualify as a big school sleeper. This is a deep WR draft. Hemingway is not thought of as an elite athlete, but he does play well in big games and is very effective with the ball in his hands. He is built like a running back. He does not have great long speed, but I feel he is big enough and explosive enough to be an effective WR who can play inside or outside the numbers.

Stephen Hill WR Ga Tech. Underclassmen. Hill averaged over 29 yards a catch this season and made some highlight grabs in Ga Tech's gimmicky triple option offense. Hill is a very raw receiver who does have some issues with drops (though he is a clutch performer). He is a tall (65), thin athletic long strider with good build up speed. He is a good leaper with long arms. He would make an excellent complementary receiver and red zone threat for the Steelers. Right now he is thought of as a late 2nd to early 4th round pick.

RB

Bernard Pierce RB Temple. Underclassmen. Had 27 touchdowns in 2011 and averaged 5.4 yards per carry. Pierce is about 6 tall and 215 pounds. He is still adding bulk to his frame. Some say that he is a little stiff, lacks an extra gear, and runs a bit upright. However, all agree he is a slippery runner who has done all he can at Temple. Is he a late second round pick or a fifth rounder?

DL
Jonathan Massaquoi DE Troy. Underclassmen. Wed be looking at this guy as a OLB. Seemed quicker when a little lighter than the 270 pounds he played at this season. Has elite pass rushing quickness and athleticism. Not great against the run.

J.R. Sweezy DT North Carolina State. Sweezy has a great frame for a 3-4 DE and was an effective interior pass rusher for the Wolfpack (6 sacks in 2011). He appears to have good short area quickness. Could be a good late round developmental DE.

LB

Caleb McSurdy ILB Montana. McSurdy has a good frame for an 3-4 ILB. He was a highly productive collegiate linebacker. He has the intelligence and instincts. But, his speed and athleticism are thought to be marginal. If he can impress at the combine, he can be a late round ILB prospect in the Steeler mold.

DB

Joseph Bethel CB Presbyterian. Has decent size and speed. He was a special teams star who specialized in blocking kicks. Very good punt returner. Set a conference record for career solo tackles as a cornerback!

Christian Thompson FS South Carolina State. Great size and speed. Team leader. Natural ball skills. Questionable instincts. Some character concerns.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-24-2012, 01:59 PM
I would add janzen jackson, mcneese state to that list.

had some character concerns and washed out of tennessee, but the guy is a great natural athlete.

very good ball skills, which we badly need in the back.