PDA

View Full Version : Steel-Life's Pre-Combine Mock

Steel Life
02-23-2012, 04:35 PM
I'll throw this out before the combine actually starts & different combine results start to sway opinion. I'm not going to rehash the team needs as we all know what they are, but in general, the mock is defense-heavy & big on high-motor players. I'm assuming we keep Wallace, no trades occur, there are no compensation picks...& our TE corps stays. Obviously if Wallace goes then this will need to be reconsidered.

And with that - in what is a sure sign I watch too much football...

1. Dontari Poe, NT Memphis - Too much raw physical talent to pass up at a position of need. He's the kind of player that could make everyone around him better.
2. Amini Silatolu, OG Midwestern St. - Get ready to learn about this dominant small-school prospect that might not make it this far in the draft.
3. Shea McClellin, OLB Boise St. - He's got the size & the motor that the Steelers like in their OLBs & will blow up on STs until he cracks the line-up...love this kid.
4. Miles Burris, LB San Diego St. - I know...he's a OLB now, but I like him as an athletic ILB & he just makes plays.
5. Robert Golden, CB/S Arizona - A Steeler-sized DB, I see him more as a safety prospect but he can certainly cover the slot.
6. Kelvin Beachum, OL, SMU - Played LT but I think he'd be better as RT or RG. Is strong & athletic, just needs some help on technique.
7. Trevor Guyton, DE Cal - We need DL back-ups & he projects well as he's played in the 3-4 as both NT & DE.

Some UDFA's to Consider:
Michael Smith, RB Utah St. - Played behind Robert Turbin, but was very impressive in limited role.
James Carmon, OT Miss. St. - Another athletic OL project (to jettison Jamon Meredith).
Ryan Davis, OLB Bethune-Cookman - Size/speed prospect with a good motor.
Delano Johnson, OLB Bowie St. - Ditto...
Chandler Harnish, QB N. Illinois - MAC QB with a schoolyard game & a good arm...sound familiar?
Gino Gradowski, OG Delaware - Another good lower division OL prospect.
Nate Eachus, RB Colgate - Brian Leonard-style RB...hard runner, good receiver.
Kris Burd, WR Virginia - WR in the Hines Ward mold with some speed...goes over the middle, blocks everyone.

RKSteel
02-23-2012, 04:43 PM
An excellent mock. :D

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Dude! EPIC Mock draft.. That is BEAST!

TallyStiller
02-24-2012, 08:08 PM
I like McClellin in the B & G, but I see him as the guy we move inside to take Farrior's lineup spot. Smart, tough football player with the size to be the thumper in the middle so we can let Timmons move over and be the cover backer originally envisioned when we picked him.

grotonsteel
02-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Nice Draft. Like your Rd 3 - Rd 7 picks but i am not sure Steelers will take Poe in Rd 1.

Colbert has said that Casey being back next season. I think they might spend a draft pick on NT maybe in Rd 2 - Rd 3.

Also Poe is not from a big school program.

Keyplay1
02-25-2012, 04:10 AM
Really like it when someone posts some lesser known players. Especially those UDFA's. It gives us casual fans something to do looking them up.

Since the OL drills were supposed to start Saturday I figured it would be timely to take a look at the OL you mentioned. There were 4. 2 of them were combine invites and 2 were not. Those 2 were

479 James Carmon OT 37 Mississippi State Sr 6-6 334 [Not a combine invite. Pro-day a big day for this type player.] and

Name: Gino Gradkowski (Transfer from West Virginia)
College: Delaware Number: 56
Height: 6-3 Weight: 295
Position: OG Pos2: C
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2012
40 Time: 5.32 40 Low: 5.14 40 High: 5.45
Projected Round: Stock:
Rated number 42 out of 239 OG's 999 / 2820 TOTAL

Wow! Talk about sleepers. This one was not even on the list. They only went to 40 with the OG's.] That was on the cbs.com/nfldraftscout grid.

Hmm! And I thought I dug deep finding an OL/OT ranked overall between 450-500. I think I will wait to see some of the combine results before posting my sleeper. I'm not sure he can even pick up the freaking bar yet. But for me this is the only fun in the draft. Seeing any of these UDFA types emerge is a big plus for any team.

Well as it turns out, they did the 225 bench press today and the results are in. The two players you mentioned did

70 Amini Silatolu OG 6 Midwestern State Sr 6-4 311 2-3
Silatolu, Amini OL46 OT Midwestern St 6040 311 32 10 1/8 28

280 Kelvin Beachum OG 19 Southern Methodist rSr 6-2 303 7-FA
Beachum, Kelvin OL5 OT Smu 6020 303 33 1/4 9 3/8 19

My darts at the board sleeper pick did okay too

436 Paul Cornick OT 33 North Dakota State rSr 6-5 310
Cornick, Paul OL11 OT North Dakota St 6050 310 35 10 1/4-------------25

Steel Life said:

2. Amini Silatolu, OG Midwestern St. - Get ready to learn about this dominant small-school prospect that might not make it this far in the draft.

6. Kelvin Beachum, OL, SMU - Played LT but I he'd be better as RT or RG. Is strong & athletic, just needs some help on technique

James Carmon, OT Miss. St. - Another athletic OL project (to jettison Jamon Meredith).

Gino Gradowski, OG Delaware - Another good lower division OL prospect.

-----It should be interesting to see how any of these players fare in the draft or as UDFA's. Although Silatolu is expected to go in the 2-3 rd.

SidSmythe
02-25-2012, 10:58 AM

He already filed a lawsuit against you, why you gotta push it??? :D

RuthlessBurgher
02-25-2012, 05:54 PM

He already filed a lawsuit against you, why you gotta push it??? :D

MJG gave us up for lent, and bequeathed the EPIC BEASTIALITY to me (wait...that came out wrong). :wink:

Dee Dub
02-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Poe very well could be a force but you probably wont get much out of him for year one. If has been said that he is a little challenged and struggles with adaptation/play book. And for me, I personally want something from pick #24 in year 1.

While discussing Poe during a recent conference call, Mike Mayock of NFL Network said Poe might not make a tackle during his rookie season, but at the same time his physical skills remind him of Haloti Ngata. Talk about a wide-ranging assessment.

Here's what Mayock had to say recently about Poe.

"This (Dontari) Poe from Memphis is 350 pounds. He's got a physical skill set that reminds me of Haloti Ngata. Don't think he's Haloti Ngata. He's that big and he's got those kind of movement skills. But he's so raw, it's scary. He might not make a tackle year one. You know what I mean? He's one of those guys." - Mike Mayock

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans- ... ontari-poe (http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-draft-watch-dt-dontari-poe)

I dont want "one of those guys", at 24.

For NT i'd rather take a chance on guys like Brandon Thompson, or Alameda Ta'Amu in round two or Josh Chapman in round 3. Especially knowing now that Casey Hampton is expected to be brought back.

Steel Life
02-25-2012, 07:19 PM
I can appreciate the perspective Dub...but I think Mayock has over-simplified the projection. I don't think most have seen just how athletic this kid is & they're in for a shock. My opinion is that Poe would open things up by being dynamic, just not simply trying to clog the middle. And I'm in agreement with you - I want more from my 1st AND 2nd round picks - specifically, I want more than a 2 down player at NT, which includes the other NT candidates you mention. To be clear - if Glenn is the choice, I'm all for it provided we get the next most dynamic NT out there.

Being a west-coast guy, what are your thoughts on Burris, McClellin, Golden & Guyton?

Keyplay1
02-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Since the primary focus today was on the OL, the DEPOT has everything on it already.

PLAYER CAMP # POS COLLEGE HGT WGT ARMS HANDS 40 TIME 10 TIME 225 REPS VERT JUMP 20 S 3 CONE

This info is up for all 55 vites. Check it out. eg:

Silatolu, Amini OL46 OT Midwestern St 6035 311 32 10 1/8 5.43 28 31.5 8'11 4.87 7.95

Glenn, Cordy OL18 OT Georgia 6056 345 35 3/4 10 1/8 5.15 1.76 31 23.5 7'9 5.00 8.13