PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Johnson will save Steelers Mike Wallace

BigRob
02-23-2012, 12:51 PM
This would be fantastic for the Steelers. If Stevie Johnson hits the market why would any team give up a first round pick for Wallace?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-johnson/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/22/report-bills-wont-play-tag-with-stevie-johnson/)

Report: Bills wonít play tag with Stevie Johnson

The Buffalo Bills and receiver Stevie Johnson continue to be far apart on negotiations. But if the team and the player canít worked out a deal to replace a rookie contract that expires at 12:01 a.m. ET on March 13, Johnson will be permitted to hit the open market.

Rodney McKissic of the Buffalo News recently reported that the Bills wonít use the franchise tag on Johnson. Doing so would require the Bills to extend to Johnson a one-year contract worth roughly $9.4 million.

And so Johnson would join a deep class of unrestricted free agent wideouts, which will include (barring the franchise tag and/or a new contract) DeSean Jackson, Vincent Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Brandon Lloyd, Laurent Robinson, Mario Manningham, Josh Morgan, Robert Meachem, Eddie Royal, Steve Smith (Eagles), and Wes Welker.

In other words, Randy Moss picked the wrong year to unretire.

Johnson has been solid for the Bills, even though he has committed a couple of high-profile drops and has gotten himself flagged for some foolish touchdown celebrations. He gave Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis fits this year, which would make him attractive to one of the other two teams that play the Jets twice per season.

phillyesq
02-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Johnson is just one of many, but I generally agree that more UFA wrs increases the Steelers chances of retaining Wallace.

BigRob
02-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Johnson is just one of many, but I generally agree that more UFA wrs increases the Steelers chances of retaining Wallace.

I am speaking more specifically to the deep threat that Johnson represents. He can do the same thing for a team without having to give up a first round pick.

NW Steeler
02-23-2012, 01:48 PM
It may be more likely that Wallace will be playing with the Steelers under a first round tender next season, then walk as a free agent in '13. I don't know that the Steelers will be willing nor able to pay him what he wants long-term. But who knows.

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2012, 02:17 PM

I am speaking more specifically to the deep threat that Johnson represents. He can do the same thing for a team without having to give up a first round pick.

Stevie only averages about 13 yards a catch...on the list of potential FA wideouts listed above, DJax and VJax are greater deep threats than Stevie.

BigRob
02-23-2012, 02:36 PM

Stevie only averages about 13 yards a catch...on the list of potential FA wideouts listed above, DJax and VJax are greater deep threats than Stevie.

The question is: How much does the Quarterback who threw him the ball play into this?

squidkid
02-23-2012, 02:41 PM
funny how a team like buffalo is not willing to tag their wr for 9.4 million next year who i would say is a much bigger piece to their overall team success compared to wallace and our team success.

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2012, 02:50 PM
funny how a team like buffalo is not willing to tag their wr for 9.4 million next year who i would say is a much bigger piece to their overall team success compared to wallace and our team success.

On the other hand, the Eagles appear to be set to franchise Desean Jackson. Wallace and Jackson have very similar skill sets as speed demon deep threats (but Mike Wallace is a better overall player than Desean Jackson...and Stevie Johnson, for that matter).

BigRob
02-23-2012, 02:55 PM

On the other hand, the Eagles appear to be set to franchise Desean Jackson. Wallace and Jackson have very similar skill sets as speed demon deep threats (but Mike Wallace is a better overall player than Desean Jackson...and Stevie Johnson, for that matter).

I do not agree that Wallace is the better overall player than Desean Jackson. Jackson gives you much more than Wallace in that he is also a pro-bowl punt returner. You get nothing else out of Wallace. Jackson's problem is that he is a ten cent head.

Wallace is a one dimensional player more similar to Stevie Johnson than to either Vincent Jackson or Desean Jackson.

squidkid
02-23-2012, 03:05 PM

I do not agree that Wallace is the better overall player than Desean Jackson. Jackson gives you much more than Wallace in that he is also a pro-bowl punt returner. You get nothing else out of Wallace. Jackson's problem is that he is a ten cent head.

Wallace is a one dimensional player more similar to Stevie Johnson than to either Vincent Jackson or Desean Jackson.

i totally agree. the one thing that really grinds my arse about wallace is the guy is so soft. you never see him go up and fight for a ball that is up for grabs or come back for an underthrown pass. i would be more able to consider him elite or franchise tag worthy if he fought for those balls. until he does, he's just a guy that runs straight and fast.

steelblood
02-23-2012, 03:15 PM
I really don't think anyone is going to give Wallace 9 or 10 million per year and give up a 1st round pick. It is a good gamble for the Steelers to take. We get a great value this year and we can then franchise him next season if he continues to develop.

squidkid
02-23-2012, 03:19 PM
I really don't think anyone is going to give Wallace 9 or 10 million per year and give up a 1st round pick. It is a good gamble for the Steelers to take. We get a great value this year and we can then franchise him next season if he continues to develop.

i would have to agree with that statement. what i dont want to see happen is the steelers tag him this year, tag him the next year and then watch him walk and get nothing out of it.

steelz09
02-23-2012, 04:52 PM
agreed..

If we can't sign him now... just tend him as a RFA.

If someone pulls the trigger... so be it. At least we get a 1st rounder. I'd rather see that then get nothing for him next year.

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 05:10 PM

:Agree

NJ-STEELER
02-23-2012, 06:11 PM
nobody remembers the sure TD johnson dropped vs. us that would have gave them the win in OT.

how about the celebration he had vs. the jets that propelled the jets to come back and win...only after another dropped pass that johnson could have taken into the end zone

why would we want this guy over wallace again?

Slapstick
02-23-2012, 06:38 PM
We wouldn't...

Teams searching for a WR would...

Oviedo
02-23-2012, 06:44 PM

I agree with your not agreeing. I think Jackson is a much more complete player than Wallace, but he is much more of a problem child. I'd still take Wallace but at no where near $9M

hawaiiansteel
02-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Bires: Steelers make most dollars, sense for Wallace

Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/b8/2b87797d-63d3-54a2-8b5b-10fab93f7624/4f4596db894ed.preview-300.jpg

Throughout Steeler Nation, there's fear that Mike Wallace is ready to move on.

There's growing speculation that a number of teams will try to steal away the speedy wide receiver who's a restricted free agent.

Among the potential buyers are the Patriots, 49ers and Ravens, each championship contenders in the market for an upgrade at wideout. For everyone with a vested interest in the Steelers -- from management down to fans -- Wallace playing for archrival Baltimore is such a painful idea.

And on Wednesday, Wallace himself fueled the uneasiness regarding his future in Pittsburgh during an interview on Sirius Radio.

Although he did say that his "heart is definitely in Pittsburgh," he let it be known that business is business and he'll do what's best for him. If the money is right, he has no problem playing for someone else, even the Ravens.

"I have to do what I have to do," he said.

Well, I don't think Wallace is going anywhere.

There will be change in 2012 for the Steelers. But the change won't include Wallace.

Over the years, the Steelers have never been major players in the free agent market.

They allow other teams to throw around big bucks at high-profile free agents.

The Steeler Way is to take care of their own free agents, especially when it comes to young talent like Wallace.

Two weeks ago, team president Art Rooney II said that re-signing Wallace was the Steelers' top priority.

There has been some talk about putting a franchise tag on Wallace. If that's the case, he would get a one-year deal worth $9.6 million. But considering that the Steelers are still around $5-10 million over the salary cap despite re-negotiating contracts of several players, tagging Wallace isn't feasible.

The Steelers could put a first-round tender on Wallace worth $2.7 million for the year.

But that would be risky business. That would allow other teams to lure him with a lucrative offer the Steelers couldn't match considering their cap restrictions. If that would be the case, the Steelers would get a first-round draft pick.

And if Wallace were to wind up with the Ravens, 49ers or Patriots, those teams own the 29th, 30th and 31st picks in the first round.

So look for the Steelers to sign Wallace to a long-term deal before the salary cap deadline in mid-March.

It's a move that makes the most sense.

Wallace has put up numbers that match any receiver in franchise history in the first three years of their careers. He still has much to improve on -- particularly in the postseason -- but without Wallace that electrifying receiving corps that includes Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders loses its best deep threat who opens things up for others in the passing game.

In his Sirius interview, Wallace also said that his agent and the Steelers have been negotiating. So despite Wallace's admission that he wouldn't mind playing in New England, San Francisco or Baltimore, it's not going to happen.

I believe Art Rooney II when he says Wallace is the Steelers' No. 1 priority.

Wallace will play for the Steelers next season.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... 93eca.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/bires-steelers-make-most-dollars-sense-for-wallace/article_4b4484aa-4e6d-5629-8552-d76aaa793eca.html)