PDA

View Full Version : OT: Joe Flacco’s agent targets top-five QB money

hawaiiansteel
02-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Flacco’s agent targets top-five money

Posted by Mike Florio on February 16, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/flacco-e1329400527669.jpg?w=250

Though many Ravens fans have expressed relief over the fact that the team and quarterback Joe Flacco will begin negotiations on a contract to replace the one that expires after the 2012 season, talking about Flacco’s value could lead to some sharp differences of opinion.

Flacco’s agent, Joe Linta, recently set a high bar.

“If the game is about wins and losses, he has to be in the top five [quarterbacks],” Linta told Matt Vensel of the Baltimore Sun. “He is a player who has been extremely durable, never missed a game. And he’s done something that no one has ever done. In his four years in the league, he has never missed a game and has more wins than any other quarterback.”

Talks will commence at next week’s Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Linta says it will be a “brief chat over coffee,” and not a “Hatfield and McCoy thing.”

Still, folks shouldn’t get their hopes up.

“We’re not going to have a press conference next Saturday to announce his extension,” Linta said. “In order to do Joe Flacco’s contract extension, we have to start somewhere. And that’s sitting down and chatting, and that’s what we’re doing.”

We’ve got a feeling that it will be many Saturdays before an extension is announced, especially if Flacco wants to be paid among the top five quarterbacks in the game. We like him and we believe he’s underrated and overcriticized, but to put him with guys like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger seems to be a little premature and/or presumptuous.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ive-money/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/16/flaccos-agent-targets-top-five-money/)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-23-2012, 12:17 AM
He wouldn't be a good agent if he didn't point out the strengths - 4 straight years in the playoffs, win/loss percentage, durable. Doesn't mean that he expects to get anywhere near the kind of money that a top 5 QB is paid.

fezziwig
02-23-2012, 09:10 AM
I hope they make him the highest paid QB in the NFL.

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 10:15 AM
whether people want to admit it or not Flacco is worth top 5-ish money....

A dropped pass from the SB... playoffs every year.... swept us and looked good doing it.

phillyesq
02-23-2012, 10:26 AM

A dropped pass from the SB... playoffs every year.... swept us and looked good doing it.

I hope he is paid very well, but he is not a top 5 QB.

Rodgers
Brees
Brady
Eli
Peyton (if healthy)
Ben
Stafford
Rivers

Would you take Flacco over any of them? Over Cam Newton?

Flacco is in the conversation with guys like Matt Ryan and Tony Romo as maybe a fringy top 10ish QB. Yes, he wins, with that D and Ray Rice, he should.

Against the Steelers, Flacco, at least lately, has played like a top 5 QB. Against the rest of the league, not so much.

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 10:43 AM

Rodgers
Brees
Brady
Eli
Peyton (if healthy)
Ben
Stafford
Rivers

Flacco is in the conversation with guys like Matt Ryan and Tony Romo as maybe a fringy top 10ish QB. Yes, he wins, with that D and Ray Rice, he should.

Against the Steelers, Flacco, at least lately, has played like a top 5 QB. Against the rest of the league, not so much.

I don't think he is top 5 talent wise but I think he will be paid "top 5-ish" money....

This isn't about who I would take on a list... we are talking about what he is worth to the Ravens FO.

I don't think it's fair to say Flacco should win with what he has around him...
All QB's "should win"....

phillyesq
02-23-2012, 10:52 AM

Rodgers
Brees
Brady
Eli
Peyton (if healthy)
Ben
Stafford
Rivers

I don't think he is top 5 talent wise but I think he will be paid "top 5-ish" money....

This isn't about who I would take on a list... we are talking about what he is worth to the Ravens FO.

I don't think it's fair to say Flacco should win with what he has around him...
All QB's "should win"....

The more I think about it, an interesting question is whether Flacco should be paid more than Ben. Personally, I prefer Ben and I don't think it's really close, but Flacco and the ravens did beat the Steelers twice this year. If I'm his agent, I certainly make that pitch.

In a world where Matt Cassel makes more than $10 million per year, I suppose that Flacco could end up in the $12-$15 million range annually.

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2012, 11:05 AM
They are dealing with this as well. Gotta love it.

Report: Ray Rice Wants An Adrian Peterson Sized Contract

Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice would like his next deal to be similar to the seven-year, $100 million contract running back Adrian Peterson signed with the Minnesota Vikings last year, according to Sports Illustrated’s Peter King.

Rice, 25, is likely to be given a franchise tag by the Ravens this month in order to keep him from becoming an unrestricted free-agent. That would open up negotiations over the course of next season on a possible long-term deal for the Pro Bowl running back.

Last season Rice ran for 1,364 yards and 12 touchdowns. He also hauled in 76 passes for 704 yards and three touchdowns through the air. It marked the third consecutive season that Rice has ran for 1,200 or more yards and caught 60-or-more passes.

In the three-years prior to signing his $100 million deal, Peterson averaged 1,480 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/02/20/report-ray-rice-wants-a-adrian-peterson-sized-contrct/

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 11:12 AM
The more I think about it, an interesting question is whether Flacco should be paid more than Ben. Personally, I prefer Ben and I don't think it's really close, but Flacco and the ravens did beat the Steelers twice this year. If I'm his agent, I certainly make that pitch.

In a world where Matt Cassel makes more than $10 million per year, I suppose that Flacco could end up in the $12-$15 million range annually.

Yep... Flacco is a franchise QB in the Raven's system. His agent can make a ton of pitches with his resume....

The first time we played Flacco I knew he was was going to be a thorn in our backside for the rest of his career.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Also, keep in mind that being paid top 5 QB money is not necessarily about who is best as much as who is next. Timing is key.

It is Flacco's turn up at the pay window, contracts rise with time, and he is talking to a team with no real alternative at the moment if they want to exploit their current window. Talk about the salaries of Rodgers, Brady, Brees all they want, but none of those players are available to them today (although Brees is a FA he won't go anywhere). Either pay Flacco the big bucks, draft a QB and wait for him to develop, or go after a guy like Matt Flynn, Kyle Orton, or Alex smith. Ball is in your court Ravens.

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Also, keep in mind that being paid top 5 QB money is not necessarily about who is best as much as who is next. Timing is key.

It is Flacco's turn up at the pay window, contracts rise with time, and he is talking to a team with no real alternative at the moment if they want to exploit their current window. Talk about the salaries of Rodgers, Brady, Brees all they want, but none of those players are available to them today (although Brees is a FA he won't go anywhere). Either pay Flacco the big bucks, draft a QB and wait for him to develop, or go after a guy like Matt Flynn, Kyle Orton, or Alex smith. Ball is in your court Ravens.

:Agree

It's all about what Flacco is worth to the Ravens. Pointing out QB's the Raven's can't get helps Flacco's agent's argument.

Starlifter
02-23-2012, 01:18 PM
i hope they give flacco peyton money. he's a good QB but I don't believe he's top tier. strangle them with a contract they can't get out of and watch what happens to the rest of their team.

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 01:59 PM
i hope they give flacco peyton money. he's a good QB but I don't believe he's top tier. strangle them with a contract they can't get out of and watch what happens to the rest of their team.

Totally different situation...

Steel Life
02-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Don't you think the Ravens & Flacco's agent need to wait & see what Brees gets first? As for his value...he's been supported by that defense more than he's supported them. Yes he's getting better, but he hasn't turned the corner yet.

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Don't you think the Ravens & Flacco's agent need to wait & see what Brees gets first? As for his value...he's been supported by that defense more than he's supported them. Yes he's getting better, but he hasn't turned the corner yet.

Flacco turned the corner last year IMO... he will never be a Brees, Brady type of QB but he doesn't have to be.

It's not his fault he is on a team with a great D...

aggiebones
02-23-2012, 05:32 PM
They'll never win a thing while he's there and they can't let him go.
I hope they also dump a bunch of cash on him to weaken the rest of their team.

fezziwig
02-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Not every QB is going to be a Peyton Manning or Joe Montana. Flacco isn't a bad QB and give him one more good receiver and he will be a top five if he isn't by now.

I want him to get the cash, I want the Ravens to put all their money into one guy.

Steelgal
02-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Not every QB is going to be a Peyton Manning or Joe Montana. Flacco isn't a bad QB and give him one more good receiver and he will be a top five if he isn't by now.

I want him to get the cash, I want the Ravens to put all their money into one guy.

I'm sorry, but no way is he a top 5 quarterback. Ray Rice is a big key to their offense. It's a shame the RB franchise tag dropped by almost $2M this year. I know RBs are easier to plug into a system, but if they lose Rice in the next few years, it would really hurt them. The guy either led the league or was in the top of the league for total production this past year.

Even on the Rats message board I read, most don't think he is a top 5 QB.

TallyStiller
02-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Flacco is what Ben was so long accused of being - a game manager whose job is to not lose games for his team. Ben was a game manager in the 15 win '04 campaign, not so much thereafter - he wasn't given nearly enough credit for the successes of the team. OTOH, I think to credit Flacco as being anywhere NEAR the primary reason for the 4 playoff appearances in 4 years record he has as Ravens QB is absurd. Ray Rice and an outstanding offensive line in which they've invested heavily in the draft are keys, and it'll be interesting to see who gets the $$$, because Rice is coming up for a new deal and making noise about wanting to get capital P Paid as well. Ben's deal is the largest in franchise history, and it is clear that this team is his. Whose locker room is it in Baltimore? If the QB gets the coin and the RB is the straw that stirs their drink and everybody knows it, can dissension be far behind?

feltdizz
02-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Flacco is what Ben was so long accused of being - a game manager whose job is to not lose games for his team. Ben was a game manager in the 15 win '04 campaign, not so much thereafter - he wasn't given nearly enough credit for the successes of the team. OTOH, I think to credit Flacco as being anywhere NEAR the primary reason for the 4 playoff appearances in 4 years record he has as Ravens QB is absurd. Ray Rice and an outstanding offensive line in which they've invested heavily in the draft are keys, and it'll be interesting to see who gets the $$$, because Rice is coming up for a new deal and making noise about wanting to get capital P Paid as well. Ben's deal is the largest in franchise history, and it is clear that this team is his. Whose locker room is it in Baltimore? If the QB gets the coin and the RB is the straw that stirs their drink and everybody knows it, can dissension be far behind?

Ray Rice is a beast but Flacco's arm is the primary reason we keep losing to the Rats. Flacoo also marched the Rats down to a dropped TD from a SB. He has improved every year he's been there... he is in a good position right now. The Pats shut down Ray Rice, Flacco put up 300. I don't think the Ravens want to let a young QB who they developed and who looks to have the Steelers D figured out. He will get a nice contract.

hawaiiansteel
02-26-2012, 03:10 PM
No numbers exchanged in first Flacco, Ravens meeting

Posted by Mike Florio on February 26, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/flacco2.jpg?w=141

Multiple reports emerged on Saturday that the Ravens and quarterback Joe Flacco had a “productive” initial meeting regarding a possible extension of Flacco’s rookie deal, which expires after the 2012 season.

And while it’s indeed possible for productive discussions to occur without money being directly discussed, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that no numbers were exchanged by the parties during the meeting.

The source says that another session is expected to occur in roughly 10 days. The overriding goal will be to do a deal that holds up over time, taking into account the increases in the salary cap that will come as the new TV contracts kick in.

Agent Joe Linta has said that, if wins are the barometer, Flacco is a top-five quarterback. We’ve heard that the final numbers are more likely to be in the range of the bottom of the top 10.

Unless, of course, Flacco rolls the dice in 2012 like Drew Brees did in 2011 — and ends up having a great season that culminates in hoisting a silver trophy that bears the name of one of Joe’s fellow Italians.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-meeting/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/26/no-numbers-exchanged-in-first-flacco-ravens-meeting/)