PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace interviewed on NFL Radio

steelerkeylargo
02-22-2012, 03:21 PM
said he is not sure he will be back. said he doesn't know how he fits into the offense under Haley. said BA loved to take shots with his speed. He is open to playing for the Patriots....thinks he can put them over the top.

phillyesq
02-22-2012, 03:24 PM
said he is not sure he will be back. said he doesn't know how he fits into the offense under Haley. said BA loved to take shots with his speed. He is open to playing for the Patriots....thinks he can put them over the top.

Thanks for posting.

At this point, it makes sense for Wallace to posture that he is open to leaving. He has potentially $7 million dollars at stake in getting the Steelers to believe that he may leave and that there will be a market for his services.

SteelBucks
02-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Wallace discusses contract talks with Steelers
By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Restricted free agent Mike Wallace and the Steelers are working hard to get a deal done before the start of free agency, but the receiver admits that he very well could be with another team next year.

In an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio this afternoon, Wallace said that he would love to stay with the Steelers, but knows that might not be in the best interests of both parties involved.

"(Pittsburgh is) where I would like to be, but we all know that it is a business and you have certain things you have to handle," Wallace said. "So if I have to go elsewhere, you know Pittsburgh will always be in my heart, but I have to do what I have to do."

Wallace said that the Steelers and his agent, Bus Cook, have been in working on a contract extension.

"Yeah, we are talking, but I don`t know how far they are going to get right now because of the situation," Wallace said. "I know that they are working hard trying to take care of it, but I don`t know. We`ll see."

Wallace is a restricted free agent and the Steelers have until March 5 to place the franchise tag on him worth more than $9 million for 2012.

With the Steelers currently at least $5 million over the projected salary cap, it is unlikely they will be able to free up enough money in time to use the franchise tag.

As a restricted free agent, the Steelers could also place a high tender on Wallace, but other teams could offer him a contract that the Steelers might not be able to match because of their current salary cap situation. The Steelers would receive a first-round draft pick if Wallace is signed by another team.

Free agency starts March 13.

RuthlessBurgher
02-22-2012, 04:30 PM
said he doesn't know how he fits into the offense under Haley. said BA loved to take shots with his speed.

We all know that Haley never bothered to throw the ball deep while with Arizona. :roll:

http://i.cnn.net/si/fannation/fitz-sb-wide.jpg

Steelgal
02-22-2012, 04:49 PM
I think I've accepted the fact that it's likely Wallace won't be back next. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it, but that's just how I see it playing out. I hope they slap the highest tender on him, so atleast if he does go, we'll have 2 first rounders. But would they be for this year's draft or next??

SteelBucks
02-22-2012, 05:15 PM
I think I've accepted the fact that it's likely Wallace won't be back next. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it, but that's just how I see it playing out. I hope they slap the highest tender on him, so atleast if he does go, we'll have 2 first rounders. But would they be for this year's draft or next??

This year.

squidkid
02-22-2012, 05:16 PM
i'm actually excited about wallace leaving and getting another first rounder.

Steelers>NFL
02-22-2012, 05:19 PM
I think I'd rather have 2 first round picks this year and no Mike Wallace. This will help the team more in the long run.

steelblood
02-22-2012, 05:21 PM

This year.

The 2 first rounders is only if we put the non-exclusive franchise tag on him and he signs elsewhere and we do not match. This is very unlikely as it will cost us like 9 million dollars.

The high RFA tender for about 3 million will get us only 1 first rounder if he signs an offer sheet elsewhere that we cannot match. This is the most likely scenario.

flippy
02-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Did he really say he wants to play for the Pats?

Ewwww!

I'm ok if he goes. WRs aren't worth the money teams pay for them unfortunately. I love me some Mike Wallace. But the economics for his position don't make complete sense.

That said, if he goes, I want a star player at another position to replace him. I only would let him go if it makes the team better. Can they reinvest those dollars into improving the D and OLine?

Always remember, we won a SuperBowl with Ward, ARE, and Ced as our top 3 WRs.

SteelBucks
02-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Personally, I think he's staying. It's real easy to spend other teams money but the economics don't make a whole lot of sense. Assuming the Steelers tender Wallace, teams will value his worth and make an offer that they know the Steelers won't match. That's all fine and dandy but they're not going to break their own bank for a receiver who's sole attribute is speed. If the money isn't bad enough, teams will also have to give up their first round pick. That in itself is a high price to pay.

Maybe I'm underestimating Wallace's value but his production in the second half of the season should make teams pause before making an outrageous offer.

But then again, what do I know?

NW Steeler
02-22-2012, 06:06 PM
I think he gets the first round tender and someone else signs him.

Dee Dub
02-22-2012, 06:17 PM
The thing that gets me about all of this (and the media has implied this as well), is any idea that a WR is going to put the Pats over the top. I sure hope they do something like this. Please keep ignoring you defense New England.

They had probably the greatest top end WR the game has ever known in Randy Moss and what that get''em?

chiken
02-22-2012, 06:28 PM
The thing that gets me about all of this (and the media has implied this as well), is any idea that a WR is going to put the Pats over the top. I sure hope they do something like this. Please keep ignoring you defense New England.

They had probably the greatest top end WR the game has ever known in Randy Moss and what that get''em?

The PAts Defense held up very good against an highpower Giants team. They applied plenty of pressure to Eli, controlled the running game and did just enough against the receivers.. The lack of any real Threat on the outside killed them this year. That defense of theirs is very young and got to be pretty good late in the season.

D Rock
02-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Here is a list of reasons why I don't expect any team to give up a first round draft pick to get Mike Wallace from the Steelers:

Dwayne Bowe
Vincent Jackson
Wes Welker
Stevie Johnson
Brandon Lloyd
Marques Colston
Reggie Wayne
Mario Manningham
Laurent Robinson
Robert Meachem
Braylon Edwards
and maybe Desean Jackson

All free agents. Maybe none are better than Wallace, but they also don't require a 1st round pick to obtain.

Dee Dub
02-22-2012, 06:51 PM

The PAts Defense held up very good against an highpower Giants team. They applied plenty of pressure to Eli, controlled the running game and did just enough against the receivers.. The lack of any real Threat on the outside killed them this year. That defense of theirs is very young and got to be pretty good late in the season.

One game does not make a champion. They struggled on defense all year. And I would hardly call the Giants a high powered offense.

Dee Dub
02-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Here is a list of reasons why I don't expect any team to give up a first round draft pick to get Mike Wallace from the Steelers:

Dwayne Bowe
Vincent Jackson
Wes Welker
Stevie Johnson
Brandon Lloyd
Marques Colston
Reggie Wayne
Mario Manningham
Laurent Robinson
Robert Meachem
Braylon Edwards
and maybe Desean Jackson

All free agents. Maybe none are better than Wallace, but they also don't require a 1st round pick to obtain.

Other than DeSean Jackson none of those receivers can take the top off of coverage like Wallace. Wallace, whether people understand this are not is a defense changer.

SteelBucks
02-22-2012, 07:10 PM

Dwayne Bowe
Vincent Jackson
Wes Welker
Stevie Johnson
Brandon Lloyd
Marques Colston
Reggie Wayne
Mario Manningham
Laurent Robinson
Robert Meachem
Braylon Edwards
and maybe Desean Jackson

:Agree

BTW, Reports are the Pats will franchise Welker.

D Rock
02-22-2012, 07:22 PM

Dwayne Bowe
Vincent Jackson
Wes Welker
Stevie Johnson
Brandon Lloyd
Marques Colston
Reggie Wayne
Mario Manningham
Laurent Robinson
Robert Meachem
Braylon Edwards
and maybe Desean Jackson

thanks for the info. I guess that takes one WR off this list. Fortunately, it also very well may take a team off the list too. Can the Pats really afford to commit 15+ million to new receiver contracts? As has been said...they need to find a defense still.

SteelBucks
02-22-2012, 07:48 PM
[quote="D Rock":2ik8kn9a]Here is a list of reasons why I don't expect any team to give up a first round draft pick to get Mike Wallace from the Steelers:

Dwayne Bowe
Vincent Jackson
Wes Welker
Stevie Johnson
Brandon Lloyd
Marques Colston
Reggie Wayne
Mario Manningham
Laurent Robinson
Robert Meachem
Braylon Edwards
and maybe Desean Jackson

thanks for the info. I guess that takes one WR off this list. Fortunately, it also very well may take a team off the list too. Can the Pats really afford to commit 15+ million to new receiver contracts? As has been said...they need to find a defense still.[/quote:2ik8kn9a]

I think they'll try to upgrade but, as you said, $$$ at one position could be an issue. You have to figure Chad Johnson (I'm not calling him by that dumb made up name) and Branch have to be about done. That leaves just Welker and the TE's.

Shoe
02-22-2012, 08:15 PM
It always irks me when players talk of going to hated rivals...

Of course, I realize business is business. But it smacks of disrespect IMO. Not to the "team", the ownership, or teammates... but to the fans, the people who the players always say they play for.

We (the fans) can't jump ship whenever we want. We are stuck with our team. When our team is garbage, we have to live with it. Kobe Bryant is another example. I used to be a Kobe fan. Even through all the rape allegations. I STOPPED being a Kobe fan, when he tried to orchestrate his way out of town after PHX dumped the Lakers outo f the playoffs (1 and done) for a couple straight years.

This is similar. I don't hate on Wallace for playing his cards. He has to make what he can make. But to talk of the Cheats*, the Ravens, and the Bungles to a lesser extent is a bit disrespectful to fans.

Steelhere10
02-22-2012, 08:34 PM
To Wallace defense, he said he hope it don't come down to the Ravens.

RuthlessBurgher
02-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Wallace is way more valuable to us right now than obtaining another late first round pick. I suspect that the Steelers front office realizes this, and will make every reasonable effort to get him extended long-term. I'm surprised so many Steeler fans seem to be taking the opposite stance at this point in time.

Steelgal
02-22-2012, 08:39 PM

This year.

The 2 first rounders is only if we put the non-exclusive franchise tag on him and he signs elsewhere and we do not match. This is very unlikely as it will cost us like 9 million dollars.

The high RFA tender for about 3 million will get us only 1 first rounder if he signs an offer sheet elsewhere that we cannot match. This is the most likely scenario.

That's what I meant, but it didn't come across right. I meant that I thought we'd have 2 first round picks this year (ours and the one for Wallace). I didn't even realize there was a chance we could get 2 picks from another team for him, which is highly doubt would happen anyway. Thanks for the clarification.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-22-2012, 08:40 PM
I hope the Bungles take him.

Steelgal
02-22-2012, 08:41 PM
I hope the Bungles take him.

Why would you want him to go to a DIVISION rival? Besides they already have 2 pretty good receivers.

fordfixer
02-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Steelers WR Wallace openly flirts with 49ers, Patriots

By Dan Hanzus NFL.com
Published: Feb. 22, 2012 at 04:09 p.m.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8271efd1/article/steelers-wr-wallace-openly-flirts-with-49ers-patriots?module=HP11_headline_stack)

Mike Wallace arguably is the greatest deep threat in football today, so you can safely assume he'll garner serious interest on the free-agent market if the Steelers can't lock up the wide receiver to a new contract.

Wallace visited SiriusXM NFL Radio on Wednesday to discuss his pending trip to restricted free agency. Specifically, he was asked if he'd be interested in playing for the 49ers or Patriots, two teams in dire need of a vertical threat like him.

"Most definitely. Those are two playoff-caliber teams. Super Bowl-caliber teams," said Wallace, who averaged 18.7 yards per catch in his first three NFL seasons. "I think that the right person or the right piece for those guys could put them over the top. All they need is one more piece ... most definitely, those are Super Bowl-contending teams."

But, Wallace later added, "I wouldn't want to go anywhere and leave the situation where I am at with a great quarterback, a great organization or go somewhere where I don't feel like I could succeed."

It's important to note Wallace didn't suggest San Francisco and New England as landing spots. He was asked a question about those teams, and he answered honestly. Nevertheless, this probably will cause all sorts of consternation in the Steel City, especially since Wallace also said "I definitely want to get my money," and Pittsburgh doesn't have the salary-cap room to use a $9 million franchise tag on him.

Meanwhile, the thought of Wallace effortlessly gliding under 60-yard bombs from Tom Brady just sent the majority of Jets fans into catatonic shock. Someone call Fireman Ed's emergency contact.

Chadman
02-22-2012, 09:19 PM
As much as Chadman has advocated the re-signing of Mike Wallace, simple mathematics may mean the Steelers have to do without him. If this is the case, the passing game will take a step backward- at least for the short term. It may not be a death-knell, but it certainly won't help.

Antonio Brown looks a very good player, and like a few on here, Chadman has high hopes for Manny Sanders. But we'll miss that simple deep threat that Wallace provides.

Not sure if simply using a 1st round pick on a WR to replace Wallace is necessarily the best move.

If he does leave- Chadman wonders if a Roscoe Parrish, Eddie Royal or Chaz Schilens might provide that potential 'deep threat' at a reduced rate- obviously not as effectively as Wallace, but at least to a degree that might serve the purpose required.

steelz09
02-22-2012, 09:35 PM
[quote="D Rock":cnwv8cge]Here is a list of reasons why I don't expect any team to give up a first round draft pick to get Mike Wallace from the Steelers:

Dwayne Bowe
Vincent Jackson
Wes Welker
Stevie Johnson
Brandon Lloyd
Marques Colston
Reggie Wayne
Mario Manningham
Laurent Robinson
Robert Meachem
Braylon Edwards
and maybe Desean Jackson

Other than DeSean Jackson none of those receivers can take the top off of coverage like Wallace. Wallace, whether people understand this are not is a defense changer.[/quote:cnwv8cge]

Wayne in his prime could take the top off coverage.
Jackson is solid.
Bowe is solid but I would still take Wallace.

Colston is real good and can take the top off defenses still.

steelz09
02-22-2012, 09:45 PM
[quote="D Rock":q2zsyj1t]Here is a list of reasons why I don't expect any team to give up a first round draft pick to get Mike Wallace from the Steelers:

Dwayne Bowe
Vincent Jackson
Wes Welker
Stevie Johnson
Brandon Lloyd
Marques Colston
Reggie Wayne
Mario Manningham
Laurent Robinson
Robert Meachem
Braylon Edwards
and maybe Desean Jackson

Other than DeSean Jackson none of those receivers can take the top off of coverage like Wallace. Wallace, whether people understand this are not is a defense changer.

Wayne in his prime could take the top off coverage.
Jackson is solid.
Bowe is solid but I would still take Wallace.

Colston is real good and can take the top off defenses still.[/quote:q2zsyj1t]

Furthermore, I think Colson might get the largest contract out of this group unless someone overpays for a D or V Jackson

hawaiiansteel
02-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Ed: Another First-Rounder Might Benefit Steelers More

WEDNESDAY, 22 FEBRUARY 2012 16:54 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good afternoon,

A few things before I call it a day:

? What would be the big deal about losing Mike Wallace? It would be one thing to just lose him in free agency and get nothing in return. But the Steelers would receive a first-round draft pick if they let him go. Think about the possibilities. Many of those mock drafts have the Steelers selecting either a nose tackle or an offensive lineman and there seems to be some uncertainty which the Steelers need most. If someone else signs Wallace and they let him go, the Steelers could draft both an offensive and defensive lineman on the first round. They would still have two good receivers in Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders to build around, and save a whole lot under the salary cap. It doesn’t sound so bad to me.

? -- The only way the Steelers could either sign or lure Jerricho Cotchery back is if they and he know Mike Wallace would leave. Cotchery, as I’ve said and written many times, does not want to return to be No. 4. At least if Wallace left, he’d have a chance at playing time. But as a free agent, he’ll take the best job and contract he can get while the Wallace thing will play out for awhile because even if Wallace signs a contract with someone on March 13, the Steelers have 7 days to match.

? -- The Steelers really need to add a tackle or guard before they consider any other position.

? -- I’ve received emails complaining that the Steelers backed the wrong tackle, Willie Colon, instead of Max Starks. Remember, Starks is rehabbing from January ACL surgery and the Steelers thought so much of him last season that they waited until Oct. 5 to sign him.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... elers-more (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114999-ed-another-first-rounder-might-benefit-steelers-more)

NJ-STEELER
02-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Wallace is way more valuable to us right now than obtaining another late first round pick. I suspect that the Steelers front office realizes this, and will make every reasonable effort to get him extended long-term. I'm surprised so many Steeler fans seem to be taking the opposite stance at this point in time.

i cant believe some think otherwise

i guess colbert's track record has warped their thinking a bit

papillon
02-22-2012, 11:42 PM

he played half a season last year; Brown was Ben's go to guy in crunch time, because he would fight for the ball and he got open. If you're going to p[ay Wallace like a #1 he needs to perform like one and he doesn't. Fitz, the Johnsons, Roddy White et al are double teamed all game every game and still manage to put up big numbers, Wallace not so much.

Maybe something was wrong the last 8 games and he didn't say anything, but he was the invisible man.

Pappy

Chadman
02-23-2012, 12:30 AM

he played half a season last year; Brown was Ben's go to guy in crunch time, because he would fight for the ball and he got open. If you're going to p[ay Wallace like a #1 he needs to perform like one and he doesn't. Fitz, the Johnsons, Roddy White et al are double teamed all game every game and still manage to put up big numbers, Wallace not so much.

Maybe something was wrong the last 8 games and he didn't say anything, but he was the invisible man.

Pappy

Larry Fitzgerald- 80 catches, 1,411 yards, 17.6 YPC
Calvin Johnson- 96 catches, 1,681 yards, 17.5 YPC
Roddy White- 100 catches, 1,296 yards, 13.0 YPC
Mike Wallace- 72 catches, 1,193 yards, 16.6 YPC

Come on Pap- simple stats here say Wallace was not far from the top-line double teamed #1's (excluded Andre Johnson due to injury). If you're theory is right, and Wallace was close to non-existant in the second half of the season, either he was THAT much better than these other guys at the beginning of the year, or the other top liners didn't have to split catches with another WR that was doing well...

Early Doucet- 54 catches, 689 yards, 12.8 YPC
Brandon Pettigrew- 84 catches, 777 yards, 9.4 YPC
Julio Jones- 54 catches, 959 yards, 17.8 YPC
Antonio Brown- 69 catches, 1,108 yards, 16.1 YPC

As you can see, Roddy White had double the receptions of Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald had 30 odd more than Doucet, while Johnson lost the short range stuff to his TE. Wallace had 3 more receptions than Brown, that's about as close to a 50-50 split as you'll see in a season.

Don't know about you- but to Chadman that looks like not only did Wallace play exceptionally at the start of the season, but he also had to split catches with Brown as the season wore on. Perhaps we're a little harsh on Wallace saying he simply dropped off?

There's always contributing factors at play.

steeler_george
02-23-2012, 06:12 AM
I would love to keep Wallace, but I wonder, could the steelers trade the right to Wallace, like how they do in the NBA in a sighn and trade. That way we keep Wallace from the AFC.

Being a deep draft at WR,and pretty good WR FA year, will teams be willing to give up 2 1sts for him?

Maybe we can trade him and receive a 1st and a few 2nd or 3rd draft picks. And use those picks to move up for Decastro, or stay put and get a combo or Glenn, Kontz, Poe, Hightower or even Sor CB.

I honestly think that, Brown, Sanders, and Crotchety [add in another FA ( I would love to have area star Manningham) and rookie] still is a strong group of WR. No teams DBs would be able to cover all those receivers on a given play. And would the cost of Crotchery and say Manningham equal the price of just Wallace's 9 million per year?

With a stronger OL, it will give Ben the time to go deep and not out of desperation of launching it and relaying on Wallace's speed to getting it.

Just like when SA was traded, we all were wondering could Wallace step up and replace SA, but this year the question is can either Brown or Sanders replace Wallace.

D Rock
02-23-2012, 08:06 AM

Pappy

Larry Fitzgerald- 80 catches, 1,411 yards, 17.6 YPC
Calvin Johnson- 96 catches, 1,681 yards, 17.5 YPC
Roddy White- 100 catches, 1,296 yards, 13.0 YPC
Mike Wallace- 72 catches, 1,193 yards, 16.6 YPC

Come on Pap- simple stats here say Wallace was not far from the top-line double teamed #1's (excluded Andre Johnson due to injury). If you're theory is right, and Wallace was close to non-existant in the second half of the season, either he was THAT much better than these other guys at the beginning of the year, or the other top liners didn't have to split catches with another WR that was doing well...

Early Doucet- 54 catches, 689 yards, 12.8 YPC
Brandon Pettigrew- 84 catches, 777 yards, 9.4 YPC
Julio Jones- 54 catches, 959 yards, 17.8 YPC
Antonio Brown- 69 catches, 1,108 yards, 16.1 YPC

As you can see, Roddy White had double the receptions of Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald had 30 odd more than Doucet, while Johnson lost the short range stuff to his TE. Wallace had 3 more receptions than Brown, that's about as close to a 50-50 split as you'll see in a season.

Don't know about you- but to Chadman that looks like not only did Wallace play exceptionally at the start of the season, but he also had to split catches with Brown as the season wore on. Perhaps we're a little harsh on Wallace saying he simply dropped off?

There's always contributing factors at play.

Julio Jones also lost three full games to injury, and most of two more. We will say he lost 4 games. So his numbers, expanded out to a full season:

72 catches, 1, 278 yards, 10.67 TDs

Julio Jones had better per-game numbers than Mike Wallace has had in any season.

As for Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson....really? They are far beyond Mike Wallace right now.

Fitzgerald makes it a habit to have 90+ catches, 1400 yards, and double digit TD seasons...Even when playing with guys like John Skelton at QB.

Calvin Johnson was on the rise and exploded last year. I don't even need to explain why he is better than Wallace.

I would love for the Steelers to keep Mike Wallace around....but only at second tier WR money.

fezziwig
02-23-2012, 09:18 AM
as much as i want wallace to remain, i wouldn't place the steelers in jeopardy over him. he's good but, he isn't great. maybe it was arians not using him corectly but, i don't see the team putting the future in harms way trying to sign wallace.
we survived the losses of thigpen, burress, randell el, nate washgington becuase, many thought these guys were the heart beat of the offense and they were not and neither is wallace.
i would have loved to see what haley could do with the weapons arians once had.

Shawn
02-23-2012, 09:48 AM
I think I'd rather have 2 first round picks this year and no Mike Wallace. This will help the team more in the long run.

As long as it meant keeping Cotchery, and the first rounder was a 20 or higher I would be ok with it as well.

Shawn
02-23-2012, 09:54 AM

I'll tell you why I am ok with him leaving. I'm not crazy about it but I am ok with it. I look at it like this...

Wallace talent minus Cotchery talent= true value. Because we wont keep both. In my mind that alone is worth about a first rounder.

But, when you take into account the ability to secure the OL with two first rounders, protecting Ben and probably extending his career...it makes even more sense.

Then take into account he is a pure speed guy...ok route running...decent hands but not elite hands...you know he will drop off in another 3-4 seasons max. When he begins to slow, he will lose his worth.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-23-2012, 09:56 AM
The word "Emergence" was associated with AB. Wallace played a part in that. If you want to believe the slower end of the season was lack of effort and don't want him because of that...So be it. An educated guess would take into account the "Emergence" of AB was a result of teams game planning against Wallace & that's why his numbers tailed off and Browns production increased. Not taking anything away from AB...He is a great talent....But you can't double everyone so someone benefits.

To the many comparing Wallace's numbers to others. Realize this. The Steelers & the Giants were the only two teams to notch 2-1,000 yard wide receivers. The Steelers, Giants, Patriots, and Saints were the only 4 teams to notch 2-1,000 pass catchers last season. Even if you go to the guys who just missed out at 950 or more, you could only add Atlanta & Green Bay to 2-1,000 yard receivers. I'm saying this to express the difficulty of achieving such a stat. And did anyone notice they were all playoff teams and both SB participants?

I still have confidence Wallace will be here. You can say the situation is unique under the new CBA. However, it is a Steeler philosophy and the reasoning comes down to one thing. When was the last time the Steelers lost a FA the wanted to keep? I don't think it changes now and I don't think any fan favorite is safe. The Steelers know it is not about the past...It is all about the future. The finished product Mike Wallace still hasn't showed up and everyone standing in the way of retaining him is a product that is finished. It is a matter of squashing what they can to save the June 1st cuts to allow them a bridge over 2013 to the 2014 cap explosion. Tick...Tick...Tick...The clock is running.

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 10:06 AM
as much as i want wallace to remain, i wouldn't place the steelers in jeopardy over him. he's good but, he isn't great. maybe it was arians not using him corectly but, i don't see the team putting the future in harms way trying to sign wallace.
we survived the losses of thigpen, burress, randell el, nate washgington becuase, many thought these guys were the heart beat of the offense and they were not and neither is wallace.

All this time I thought you hated Arians and now you turn around and give him credit for making El, Washington and Wallace look like the heart beat of our offense? :lol:

How do you misuse talent and have the rest of the NFL willing to overpay for their services? :roll:

What would Wallace be worth if he was used correctly? $15 mill to $20 Mill?

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 10:11 AM
The word "Emergence" was associated with AB. Wallace played a part in that. If you want to believe the slower end of the season was lack of effort and don't want him because of that...So be it. An educated guess would take into account the "Emergence" of AB was a result of teams game planning against Wallace & that's why his numbers tailed off and Browns production increased. Not taking anything away from AB...He is a great talent....But you can't double everyone so someone benefits.

To the many comparing Wallace's numbers to others. Realize this. The Steelers & the Giants were the only two teams to notch 2-1,000 yard wide receivers. The Steelers, Giants, Patriots, and Saints were the only 4 teams to notch 2-1,000 pass catchers last season. Even if you go to the guys who just missed out at 950 or more, you could only add Atlanta & Green Bay to 2-1,000 yard receivers. I'm saying this to express the difficulty of achieving such a stat. And did anyone notice they were all playoff teams and both SB participants?

I still have confidence Wallace will be here. You can say the situation is unique under the new CBA. However, it is a Steeler philosophy and the reasoning comes down to one thing. When was the last time the Steelers lost a FA the wanted to keep? I don't think it changes now and I don't think any fan favorite is safe. The Steelers know it is not about the past...It is all about the future. The finished product Mike Wallace still hasn't showed up and everyone standing in the way of retaining him is a product that is finished. It is a matter of squashing what they can to save the June 1st cuts to allow them a bridge over 2013 to the 2014 cap explosion. Tick...Tick...Tick...The clock is running.

Is he worth $8 to 9 mill? I don't think so...

Steelers>NFL
02-23-2012, 10:13 AM

As long as it meant keeping Cotchery, and the first rounder was a 20 or higher I would be ok with it as well.

Agree!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Wow..Guys! If you insert Mike Wallace as we know him he is a top 10-15 pick. Value of Wallace is not a late 1st and nobody should be happy with it. There is a reason for this buzz and it simply is a late 1st is a steal for such a dynamic player. You stick him in at a proven 25 years old with Blackmon, Wright, and Floyd he is gone inside the top 15.

Does everyone realize the average draft class has 20 1st round talents? This is the discussion the Brass & Scouting department have every draft when putting their board together. They question if a certain player was in last years draft where he would grade out or in a draft that was "rich"at his position where would he grade out. The college system just doesn't squirt out 32 1st round prospects. Some draft classes are rich...Some not so good at the top.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-23-2012, 10:29 AM

If you are referring to the tag...Yes he is worth getting tagged. He won't play on the tag. If they paid Ward 6-7 mil Wallace is worth 7-8 mil on a long term deal.

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2012, 11:20 AM
People seem to be obsessed with comparing Wallace to the top 3-4 wideouts in the league, and saying "Look, he's not that!" as some sort of justification for letting Ben's biggest weapon walk in exchange for a late first round pick. Maybe he is not a Calvin or Fitz or Andre. So he's just better than the other 60 starting wideouts in the league. What a bum. :lol:

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 11:31 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":21qo9ohx]The word "Emergence" was associated with AB. Wallace played a part in that. If you want to believe the slower end of the season was lack of effort and don't want him because of that...So be it. An educated guess would take into account the "Emergence" of AB was a result of teams game planning against Wallace & that's why his numbers tailed off and Browns production increased. Not taking anything away from AB...He is a great talent....But you can't double everyone so someone benefits.

If you are referring to the tag...Yes he is worth getting tagged. He won't play on the tag. If they paid Ward 6-7 mil Wallace is worth 7-8 mil on a long term deal.[/quote:21qo9ohx]

Who is more like Ward on our roster right now? AB or Wallace? :wink:

Guys like Wallace are easily replaced because it's all speed. I could see if Wallace was drawing penalties, causing havoc underneath, shielding players with his body and putting on a clinic but 95% of his production is sprinting past defenders...

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to keep all our weapons but he can be replaced. Our FO does an excellent job finding fast WR with raw talent and getting production out of them on day 1.

steeler_george
02-23-2012, 11:35 AM
How much would it take to sign Crotchery, and say a WR calliber of Manningham ?

Would it be more cap friendly then signing just Wallace?

Brown, Sanders, Crotchery, FA WR (Manningham), Ward, Rookie

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 11:40 AM
People seem to be obsessed with comparing Wallace to the top 3-4 wideouts in the league, and saying "Look, he's not that!" as some sort of justification for letting Ben's biggest weapon walk in exchange for a late first round pick. Maybe he is not a Calvin or Fitz or Andre. So he's just better than the other 60 starting wideouts in the league. What a bum. :lol:

It's obvious in this interview that Wallace prefers to go vertical and is concerned Haley will change our philosophy on offense. That concerns me because all we did was complain about going deep all the time...

Ben's biggest weapons always leave and we always replace them with better players...

Wallace isn't a bum but he isn't worth 9 mill...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-23-2012, 12:32 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1oyu9e67]The word "Emergence" was associated with AB. Wallace played a part in that. If you want to believe the slower end of the season was lack of effort and don't want him because of that...So be it. An educated guess would take into account the "Emergence" of AB was a result of teams game planning against Wallace & that's why his numbers tailed off and Browns production increased. Not taking anything away from AB...He is a great talent....But you can't double everyone so someone benefits.

If you are referring to the tag...Yes he is worth getting tagged. He won't play on the tag. If they paid Ward 6-7 mil Wallace is worth 7-8 mil on a long term deal.

Guys like Wallace are easily replaced because it's all speed. I could see if Wallace was drawing penalties, causing havoc underneath, shielding players with his body and putting on a clinic but 95% of his production is sprinting past defenders...

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to keep all our weapons but he can be replaced. Our FO does an excellent job finding fast WR with raw talent and getting production out of them on day 1.[/quote:1oyu9e67]

Neither. That's why Wallace will get more than Ward ever did. What he has can't be taught and isn't easy to find. If that was the case, everyone would have one. "Guys like Wallace" aren't easily replaced and most of them spend a long time in one place because of it. Teams know what they have and they hold on to them. I don't see where the FO has got these fast WRs with Raw talent and got production from day one. For Every Wallace, AB, & Washington you get a Sweed, Edwards, & Blackwell. The Steelers have invested alot of high picks over the years on WR that ended up just being guys who could run fast. That is why the FO has done such a good job keeping their own to protect their investment.

Hines Ward is a hall of famer and was great in his own right. What he did for this organization is put his fingerprints on two Lombardis in the trophy case and that won't be forgotten...But living in the past won't put anymore in that case. Mike Wallace is as big a piece to the puzzle to this next run as Ward was. Time to move on from Ward and take his name out of the conversations of who gets what & who deserves this because Ward was that. If there wasn't a thing called evolution of the game...People we pass on the street would be playing in the NFL. Don't hate the player because he is using his God given gifts and he is going to make a $hit load of money that isn't even coming out of our pocket but we don't think he is worth it. Rejoice the Kid is a Steeler....Wants to be a Steeler...And hope he remains a Steeler to help this football team put some more trophies in that case. I have trust the organization knows what they are doing and anything they do won't hinder their ability to put a winner on the field regardless of who makes what.

Shawn
02-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Wow..Guys! If you insert Mike Wallace as we know him he is a top 10-15 pick. Value of Wallace is not a late 1st and nobody should be happy with it. There is a reason for this buzz and it simply is a late 1st is a steal for such a dynamic player. You stick him in at a proven 25 years old with Blackmon, Wright, and Floyd he is gone inside the top 15.

Does everyone realize the average draft class has 20 1st round talents? This is the discussion the Brass & Scouting department have every draft when putting their board together. They question if a certain player was in last years draft where he would grade out or in a draft that was "rich"at his position where would he grade out. The college system just doesn't squirt out 32 1st round prospects. Some draft classes are rich...Some not so good at the top.

Ok so would you take pick 20 and Cotchery for Wallace? Or do you wish to pay Wallace 9 million?

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Guys like Wallace are easily replaced because it's all speed.

Then why isn't the guy with the fastest 40 time at the Combine catching 1200 yards worth of passes per year and averaging a TD catch every other game played?

Track speed is different than football speed. Wallace is one of the few who is able to translate his abilities as a sprinter onto the gridiron. It's not a common thing that comes around every day. Al Davis had been trying to find this guy ever since Cliff Branch, to no avail (even in Wallace's draft year, he took the fastest WR at the combine, Darrius Hayward-Bey in the top 10, leaving Wallace to fall to us in the 3rd round instead).

pick6
02-23-2012, 01:42 PM

Ok so would you take pick 20 and Cotchery for Wallace? Or do you wish to pay Wallace 9 million?

Great perspective with this question. Im taking pick 20 and Cotchery over Wallace all day. The problem with the discussion might be that people think that we dont understand the talents of Wallace and the unique abilities he brings to the team. We understand, but we are not willing to pay for it as he is a luxury guy. Any team who thinks AB or even a healthy Sanders can't take the top off of the defense is in for a rude awakening.
Then there is the issue of hands. Wallace is a very determined guy and I like that about him. This determination is the only way to explain the catches that he does make seeing that his technique is horrible. But I do know that Wallace has not reached his full potential and with the right coaching he could be worth the money. Just not right now, not right here.
I would love to have 2 first round picks. Imagine the possibilities.

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 02:05 PM

Then why isn't the guy with the fastest 40 time at the Combine catching 1200 yards worth of passes per year and averaging a TD catch every other game played?

Because every team isn't the Steelers :wink:

In our offense we haven't had a hard time replacing WR's... you guys talk about Wallace like he is Jerry Rice.

He is Nate Washington with slightly better hands... look at our WR roster and tell me it's hard to find talent at WR. It's a myth.

Wallace isn't beating double teams, breaking tackles or ripping the ball out of the sky. He is running fast and catching the ball.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-23-2012, 02:24 PM

I would still take 9 mil for Wallace. I have to pay a 30 year old Cotchery 3-4 mil and an unproven 1st rounder over a #1 Game breaker who is 25 years old? I will take the 1 gamebreaker. Cotchery can't provide what Wallace can. I know everyone likes the thought of two 1st rounders but unless you are 100% sure you will get a Pouncey & a Hampton or a Ray Lewis & a Faneca....I'm passing. I just don't see that combination outside the Top 20 to get excited about. What one player is everyone so excited about swapping out with Wallace? I'm curious to know.

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2012, 02:30 PM
He is Nate Washington with slightly better hands.

Seriously?

In Wallace's worst season, his rookie year, as the #3 WR behind Hines and Holmes (i.e. the same exact role Washington played here), he was better than Nate's best year as a Steeler (MW: 39-756-19.4-6 in year 1 vs. NW: 40-631-15.8-3 in year 3). Then, of course, he went on to 60-1257-21.0-10 and 72-1193-16.6-8 seasons, blowing away anything Nate ever did as a Steeler (or a Titan, for that matter). It wasn't until Nate's 7th season (as the #1 WR in Tennessee) that he finally had a season that was better than Mike's rookie year (as the #3 WR in Pittsburgh).

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2012, 02:37 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":2arpc7s4]Wow..Guys! If you insert Mike Wallace as we know him he is a top 10-15 pick. Value of Wallace is not a late 1st and nobody should be happy with it. There is a reason for this buzz and it simply is a late 1st is a steal for such a dynamic player. You stick him in at a proven 25 years old with Blackmon, Wright, and Floyd he is gone inside the top 15.

I would still take 9 mil for Wallace. I have to pay a 30 year old Cotchery 3-4 mil and an unproven 1st rounder over a #1 Game breaker who is 25 years old? I will take the 1 gamebreaker. Cotchery can't provide what Wallace can. I know everyone likes the thought of two 1st rounders but unless you are 100% sure you will get a Pouncey & a Hampton or a Ray Lewis & a Faneca....I'm passing. I just don't see that combination outside the Top 20 to get excited about. What one player is everyone so excited about swapping out with Wallace? I'm curious to know.[/quote:2arpc7s4]

In any trade situation (granted, this RFA scenario is not a trade per se, but we are looking at "which side would you rather have" circumstances here), I tend to think that significantly more often than not, the team that gets the best player in the deal wins the trade (except in exceedingly usual circumstances in which a team gives up an absurd amount for one guy like the Herschel Walker trade). I'd rather have one elite guy than multiple good-to-very-good type of guys.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-23-2012, 02:48 PM

In our offense we haven't had a hard time replacing WR's... you guys talk about Wallace like he is Jerry Rice.

He is Nate Washington with slightly better hands... look at our WR roster and tell me it's hard to find talent at WR. It's a myth.

Wallace isn't beating double teams, breaking tackles or ripping the ball out of the sky. He is running fast and catching the ball.

Steelers lucked out on the current stable and you know that. Look at the high picks we spent over the years and you couldn't say it. That myth of yours was a reality for the Steelers over the years. The Steelers had the luck of hitting on Ward, Plax, & Holmes. There were alot of 1st & 2nd round picks spent on WR over the years. Wallace's potential could exceed all of those.

Wallace is beating double teams and that is what makes him so good. You know the game plans...I assume you watch the games. One false step by a safety on the play action and Wallace is running by both of them. You think because the Safety isn't close enough to touch him it wasn't his reponsiblity to help the CB over the top when he was standing on the hash to Wallace's side presnap? How many games did you watch where Wallace was on an island with 9 in the box. I can't remember seeing one snap all year with cover 0 when Wallace was on the field. He has more going for him than just "running by people". There are many who came into the league that had the speed to do that but amounted to nothing. I have seen many hand snags & broken tackles. Wallace has to be doing something else right to keep himself on the field.

hawaiiansteel
02-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Steelers speedy wide receiver Wallace to open up his options

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 23, 2012

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2012-02-22/0223SteelWallInsideCAP-a.jpg

Restricted free agent Mike Wallace and the Steelers are working to complete a deal before the start of free agency, but the receiver admits he could be with another team next year.

In an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio on Wednesday, Wallace said he would love to stay with the Steelers but knows that might not be possible.

"We all know that it is a business, and you have certain things you have to handle," Wallace said. "So if I have to go elsewhere, you know Pittsburgh will always be in my heart, but I have to do what I have to do."

Wallace might command strong interest when free agency begins March 13, largely because of the new collective bargaining agreement.

In past years, franchise tags were rarely used because of the high cost of signing another team's restricted free agent -- first- and third-round picks. Under the new CBA, the most a team can receive is a first-round pick.

Teams with late-round picks like San Francisco (30th) and New England (31st) may be willing to trade a first-round pick for Wallace. The Steelers have the right to match any offer.

"I think the right piece to those guys would put them over the top," Wallace said of the 49ers and Patriots.

Wallace said if he were to leave the Steelers, it would have to be the right fit.

"I wouldn't want to go anywhere and leave the situation where I am at — that has a great quarterback, a great organization — and go somewhere where I don't feel like I can succeed," Wallace said. "This is the team that drafted me. That's the team that took a chance on me, so I would love to be there."

Wallace said the Steelers and his agent, Bus Cook, have been in negotiations.

"We are talking, but I don't know how far they are going to get," Wallace said.

Cook hasn't returned numerous emails, texts and phone calls from the Tribune-Review.

The Steelers have options.

They could place the franchise tag on Wallace by March 5, guaranteeing him at least $9 million for 2012. But being about $5 million over the projected salary cap, the Steelers are unlikely to be able to free up enough money to do that.

Another option is to sign Wallace to a long-term deal before free agency starts. However, that deal likely would have to be backloaded to accommodate the Steelers' cap problems, something players typically don't like to do.

Teams wanting Wallace likely would offer him a sizeable signing bonus that would make it virtually impossible for the Steelers to match the offer and be in compliance with the salary cap.

Note: Punter Jeremy Kapinos tweeted Wednesday that he received a tender from the Steelers. That likely means the Steelers don't plan on bringing back punter Daniel Sepulveda, who is a free agent. Sepulveda was lost for the season with a knee injury last year, the third time in four seasons that has happened.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1nEOMBc5N (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_783071.html#ixzz1nEOMBc5N)

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 03:56 PM

Seriously?

In Wallace's worst season, his rookie year, as the #3 WR behind Hines and Holmes (i.e. the same exact role Washington played here), he was better than Nate's best year as a Steeler (MW: 39-756-19.4-6 in year 1 vs. NW: 40-631-15.8-3 in year 3). Then, of course, he went on to 60-1257-21.0-10 and 72-1193-16.6-8 seasons, blowing away anything Nate ever did as a Steeler (or a Titan, for that matter). It wasn't until Nate's 7th season (as the #1 WR in Tennessee) that he finally had a season that was better than Mike's rookie year (as the #3 WR in Pittsburgh).

You didn't have to post the stats... I know Wallace has superior stats but they both did one thing in our offense. Wallace is still a one trick WR.

Dee Dub
02-23-2012, 04:08 PM

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to keep all our weapons but he can be replaced. Our FO does an excellent job finding fast WR with raw talent and getting production out of them on day 1.

I am a huge Antonio Brown fan however this is so ridiculous!!

Let's go over their careers so far. Wallace averages a TD once every 7.12 receptions and Brown averages one ever 42.5 times. Just over the past two years (since that is all Brown has so far), Wallace has 132 receptions and 18 TD's and Brown has 85 receptions and 2 TD's. And this is all with Brown actually being targeted more than Wallace this past season.

Antonio Brown doesnt score TD's, Mike Wallace does and often.

But some think he only catches deep passes. Yeah 132 receptions over the past two years only going deep. :roll:

Eddie Spaghetti
02-23-2012, 04:14 PM
I seem to remember wallace drawing several PI flags last year too Dub.

his main weakness is not fighting for the ball in traffic.

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2012, 04:21 PM

Seriously?

You didn't have to post the stats... I know Wallace has superior stats but they both did one thing in our offense. Wallace is still a one trick WR.

Tomlin used the "one-trick-pony" quasi-insult as a motivational tool a couple of years ago. Wallace was asked to do more than just run go routes this year (he ran crossing routes, curls, hitches, etc.). He had a dozen more catches this season than last, but had 64 fewer yards (average per catch went from 21.0 to 16.6) because he was involved in the offense in more ways than just one trick...he wasn't always sent deep.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Amazing how a one trick pony & who is so replaceable puts up those numbers and keeps DCs awake all night. I will take another one of them and pay him 9 mil too. :P

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 04:40 PM

Seriously?

Tomlin used the "one-trick-pony" quasi-insult as a motivational tool a couple of years ago. Wallace was asked to do more than just run go routes this year (he ran crossing routes, curls, hitches, etc.). He had a dozen more catches this season than last, but had 64 fewer yards (average per catch went from 21.0 to 16.6) because he was involved in the offense in more ways than just one trick...he wasn't always sent deep.

Bubble screens... :D

Wallace averaged 46 yards the last 8 games last year. I'm sorry but just don't think Wallace is worth what he may command in FA...

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2012, 04:54 PM

Seriously?

Bubble screens... :D

Wallace averaged 46 yards the last 8 games last year. I'm sorry but just don't think Wallace is worth what he may command in FA...

And he averaged 100 yards per game over the first 8 games.

Is Woodley not worthy of his deal because sometimes he averages a sack a game over one half of a season, and may only get a couple of sacks total in the other half?

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 04:59 PM

I am a huge Antonio Brown fan however this is so ridiculous!!

Let's go over their careers so far. Wallace averages a TD once every 7.12 receptions and Brown averages one ever 42.5 times. Just over the past two years (since that is all Brown has so far), Wallace has 132 receptions and 18 TD's and Brown has 85 receptions and 2 TD's. And this is all with Brown actually being targeted more than Wallace this past season.

Antonio Brown doesnt score TD's, Mike Wallace does and often.

But some think he only catches deep passes. Yeah 132 receptions over the past two years only going deep. :roll:

We aren't debating who has better stats, we are debating over his worth to our team in a salary cap nightmare.

AB doesn't score TD's but he moves the chains and his work ethic is insane.

I like Wallace but I don't think he is #1 WR material or worth 9 mill...

I'm trying hard to remember the last time Mike Wallace made a play when we really needed on in a big game.

46 yards a game the last 8 games of the season? 3 receptions in the Denver game?

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 05:03 PM

Is Woodley not worthy of his deal because sometimes he averages a sack a game over one half of a season, and may only get a couple of sacks total in the other half?

Half the board thinks Woodley was stealing from us last season.

I don't expect a player to have insane stats every game but if we give Wallace 9 mill a year will you think he is worth it if he disappears half the season?

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 05:08 PM

Steelers lucked out on the current stable and you know that. Look at the high picks we spent over the years and you couldn't say it. That myth of yours was a reality for the Steelers over the years. The Steelers had the luck of hitting on Ward, Plax, & Holmes. There were alot of 1st & 2nd round picks spent on WR over the years. Wallace's potential could exceed all of those.

Wallace is beating double teams and that is what makes him so good. You know the game plans...I assume you watch the games. One false step by a safety on the play action and Wallace is running by both of them. You think because the Safety isn't close enough to touch him it wasn't his reponsiblity to help the CB over the top when he was standing on the hash to Wallace's side presnap? How many games did you watch where Wallace was on an island with 9 in the box. I can't remember seeing one snap all year with cover 0 when Wallace was on the field. He has more going for him than just "running by people". There are many who came into the league that had the speed to do that but amounted to nothing. I have seen many hand snags & broken tackles. Wallace has to be doing something else right to keep himself on the field.

It's a different NFL... with so many HS and college teams running the spread WR's are going to be deep in every draft.

We can easily pick up another talented speedy WR and we will have the same results..

We'll probably be a better overall team if Ben doesn't spend half the game looking for Wallace...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-23-2012, 05:17 PM

I don't expect a player to have insane stats every game but if we give Wallace 9 mill a year will you think he is worth it if he disappears half the season?

If you know what his presence on the field does to the rest of the offense...Absolutely! And you won't know what that value is unless he is not on the field. Maybe you get your wish.

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 05:24 PM

If you know what his presence on the field does to the rest of the offense...Absolutely! And you won't know what that value is unless he is not on the field. Maybe you get your wish.

My wish is to keep Wallace without giving him 9 mill a year...

We also won't know Wallace's value until we see him in Haley's offense.... We are talking about Wallace in an Arians offense that is no more.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-23-2012, 05:31 PM

It's a different NFL... with so many HS and college teams running the spread WR's are going to be deep in every draft.

We can easily pick up another talented speedy WR and we will have the same results..

We'll probably be a better overall team if Ben doesn't spend half the game looking for Wallace...
There are so many of them but nobody can find them. All the NFL teams are just loaded with 5 deep of talented speedy WR that they easily found in the draft. So why would they want or pay for Wallace? It is the market demand that is setting his price. 9 mil for someone who is so easy to find. Wow.

You are probably one that states you can find a OG later in the draft because there are so many of them and there is no value drafting them early but we haven't seen one since Faneca left.

So you think because so many high school & college teams run the spread offense they will produce these talented speedy WRs just on system. God given talent isn't needed just play in a spread offense coming up through the ranks and BOOM you get Mike Wallace. We there ya go....Wisdom at its best!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-23-2012, 05:37 PM
My wish is to keep Wallace without giving him 9 mill a year...

We also won't know Wallace's value until we see him in Haley's offense.... We are talking about Wallace in an Arians offense that is no more.

He knew how to utilize his WRs in Arizona. If he is that coach that utilizes his talent best in his offensive design...I'm sure it won't take him too long to figure out what the strength of the offense is.

fezziwig
02-23-2012, 05:52 PM

All this time I thought you hated Arians and now you turn around and give him credit for making El, Washington and Wallace look like the heart beat of our offense? :lol:

How do you misuse talent and have the rest of the NFL willing to overpay for their services? :roll:

What would Wallace be worth if he was used correctly? $15 mill to $20 Mill?

I didn't say anyone was the heart beat of the offense infact, I said just the opposite. I was being nice when I said, maybe Arians wasn't using him correctly. The fact is, Arians wasn't using him correctly. Where were the slants, the underneath stuff ? Why else would Tomlin call him the one trick poney ?

Of all the receivers that we lost, I will miss Wallace the most if that does happen. Thigpen was always hurt, Randell el wasn't nothing more than a number three guy, Buress was tall and not very good hands or routes, Washington has the case of the drops, Santonio was good to great but, I had a feeling he wasn't going to live up to past events and would become a team distraction. Don't know why but, just something I felt.

As I said on another post, " too bad Haley won't have the players Arians had.

feltdizz
02-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Fez, I never said you called them the heart beat. You implied they appeared to be the heartbeat when they weren't which means they looked better then they were. That sounds like a compliment to me.

I think Wallace caught a decent amount of passes underneath last year but IMO his vertical game is so strong his short game is forgettable. The other problem is Wallace lacks the hands and aggressive nature needed underneath. Its rare to see Wallace catch a pass cleanly with his hands and get up field. He still uses his body and arms too much.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Well we could agree on one thing...We are on to separate ends of the argument when it comes to the importance and talent of Wallace. You make him out to be a kid who should be not even tendered. We will see how the Steelers value him real soon. Hopefully for our sake we don't see how the rest of the league values him.

flippy
02-23-2012, 08:35 PM
I'd love to keep Wallace. The guy is awesome.

I just don't value receivers so highly. I think we should be spending big money on QBs and Defense.

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2012, 09:15 PM
I think we should be spending big money on QBs.

We do.

I think we should be spending big money on Defense.

We do this too.

Why do you think we came into this offseason as the team who was the highest over the cap, even though all our young, talented offensive weapons are still working off of relatively cheap rookie contracts?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-24-2012, 10:07 AM
I'd love to keep Wallace. The guy is awesome.

I just don't value receivers so highly. I think we should be spending big money on QBs and Defense.

I agree with you Flip. We are secure at QB so the money can shift. As far as defense, we have locked up the stars. Problem is we have some big contracts on guys who need to be replaced and "replaced" is in the draft. The cycle will come around on those new faces when their rookie contract expires. That is the cycle we have seen for so long. They keep their own when the rookie contract is up and money just shifts as the contracts come up. 3 years down the road there will be alot of money shifting to the DL. Money at S & OLB will be shifted away so they better start making sure young players are lined up. It isn't an exact science where the money goes...It is a matter of when the money goes to a position when you draft well. We are seeing it that way right now unfold in front of us.

hawaiiansteel
02-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Arms wide open: Steelers want to keep Wallace in the fold

Friday, February 24, 2012
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201202/wallace6_500.jpg

Mike Wallace, a restricted free agent, made the Pro Bowl last season, and Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert plans on doing anything he can to keep Wallace on his team.

INDIANAPOLIS -- With an NFL-best 27 catches of 40 yards or longer in three seasons with the Steelers, Mike Wallace has shown that he can run away from just about every defensive back in the league.

But no matter how fast Wallace can run, the Steelers do not plan to let their third-year wide receiver get away from them.

Not according to general manager Kevin Colbert.

"The thing I can say for sure about Mike is that we want Mike to finish his career with the Steelers," Colbert said Thursday at the NFL scouting combine at Lucas Oil Stadium. "And I'm very confident Mike wants to finish his career with the Steelers and play with a great quarterback like Ben Roethlisberger and the other receivers we have."

Wallace, a Pro Bowl receiver who led the team with 72 catches, 1,193 yards and eight touchdowns last season, is a restricted free agent -- meaning he is allowed to talk with other teams and even receive an offer sheet if someone is interested in signing him.

However, the Steelers are expected to offer Wallace the highest tender they can as a restricted free agent -- a move Colbert said will not occur until the Steelers learn what the salary cap will be for the 2012 season.

Once they do, the Steelers will have the right to match any offer Wallace might receive. If they choose not to match an offer, they would receive a No. 1 draft pick from the team that signed him.

But the latter does not appear to be an option.

"We're going to do everything we can to keep Mike Wallace with the Steelers," Colbert said. "We think he's only scratched the surface in what he can do. There's a lot left there that can still be developed. We're anxious to see it happen as a Steeler."

Wallace said in an interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio the other day that he would consider playing for the New England Patrios and San Francisco 49ers -- playoff teams who need outside receivers. Wallace made the comment in response to a question about those teams.

Colbert did not rule out the possibility the Steelers could use the franchise tag on Wallace, Although that seems unlikely because it would mean the Steelers would have to pay Wallace approximately $9 million annually -- a big number for a team trying to get under the salary cap.

Colbert said that determination cannot be made, either, until the salary cap is determined.

"We won't rule it out until we know what we're dealing with and a hard cap number, which we haven't gotten yet," Colbert said. "We have to leave that option open, absolutely."

Meantime, Colbert said wide receiver Hines Ward remains with the team and no decision will be made on him or other players until the Steelers know the final salary-cap ceiling.

The Steelers have been working to shave approximately $25 million off their salary cap. They have already released veterans Bryant McFadden and Arnaz Battle and have restructured the contracts of five players -- Ben Roethlisberger, LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, Ike Taylor and Willie Colon.

"Hines Ward is still on our roster. We won't know. ... Again, once we get the salary cap figure, we'll know how much more work we have to do," Colbert said. "We've done some work in form of restructurings. We've done a few terminations. There will be more of both to come. We just don't know what combination that's going to be."

However, it doesn't appear that one of those players terminated will be nose tackle Casey Hampton, who is scheduled to count more than $8 million against the cap in 2012. Hampton, 34, will be coming off surgery to his left anterior cruciate ligament -- the second time he has had ACL surgery on his left knee -- but Colbert said he expects the five-time Pro Bowl nose tackle to be back with the team next season.

Hampton was injured in the playoff loss in Denver and had surgery Jan. 27. Colbert was asked if his return would be delayed as long as running Rashard Mendenhall, who also had ACL surgery after the season and might not be ready for the start of the regular season.

"It's a different position, obviously. You don't have to worry about speed, you don't have to worry about quick change of direction when you're talking about offensive or defensive linemen. And the one edge Casey will have on anybody is that he's been through this twice. He knows what to expect. He knows how to do this. He knows how much work he has to do and he knows how he feels."

Cobert also said the Steelers could bring both backup quarterbacks, Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich, each of whom are unrestricted free agents. He said Dennis Dixon, who also is unrestricted, will probably sign with another team.

"I hope so," Colbert said about the possibility of re-signing Batch and Leftwich. "I think they're comfortable being part of it and I think they're open to that. I think they want to wait and see what's out there for them. Playing behind a great quarterback like Ben, maybe you want to go somewhere else where there's an opportunity to start."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12055/12 ... z1nLF8jOWV (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12055/1212282-66.stm#ixzz1nLF8jOWV)

SteelCrazy
02-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Wallace has great speed. He is average in route running. He is just above average overall. Let the kid walk and get a 1st rounder for him. You guys not remembering the 2nd and most important half of the football season? He was stopped dead in his tracks in the 2nd half of the season and I dont see it changing.

Slapstick
02-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Mike Wallace is definitely better than "above average"...

Hopefully, we can see how he performs with a QB with two good legs throwing to him...

hawaiiansteel
02-27-2012, 03:45 AM
Wallace's one trick is a wonder

Sunday, February 26, 2012
By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Over the breadth of his first three NFL seasons, it's been difficult not to be impressed with Mike Wallace, most especially if you are Mike Wallace.

In a league reliably stockpiled with wideouts who are consistently taken with themselves, the Steelers' All Pro defers to few, if any, on the matter of self-worth, it seems to me, so it wasn't to buttress young Mike's confidence that Kevin Colbert happened to mention last week how much the club wanted to keep him around.

That would be utterly pointless, and among the many facets of his standout career at the top of the Steelers' personnel office is the hard truth that Colbert is not exactly in love with the sound of his own voice.

So what's with all the vocal valentines Colbert sent from Indianapolis last week? The "for sure we want Mike to finish his career with the Steelers ... we're going to do everything we can to keep Mike ... he's only scratched the surface of what he can do."

Might be nothing more than what is plain, but there is so much at work in the looming determination of Mike Wallace's immediate future that it's been hard to tell what's real this past week.

Colbert isn't in the least duplicitous by nature, but he's an expert survivalist in the dense forest of off-season politics, as is his top lieutenant, the brilliant capologist Omar Khan.

So when Colbert warbles noises that can sound from a distance like Mike Wallace is a blooming Jerry Rice and that the Steelers love him to death, it's not impossible that the Steelers are trying to drive the price of any offer sheet so high another team wouldn't come near Wallace with it. That way, if someone is callow or obtuse enough to break their bank for him, the Steelers would at worst come away with the knowledge that they've delivered unto some rival a major cap headache, not to mention adding a first-round draft choice in exchange for a player that is not exactly trending up at this point.

It'd be simpler for everybody if we knew where Wallace's career was going, but that's something about which there is no small uncertainty.

On Oct. 23, 2011, Wallace scored on the longest pass play in Steelers history, 95 yards from Ben Roethlisberger on a day when the wideout had only two other catches for 23 yards. He has not had a 100-yard game since.

He did not catch a touchdown pass in Pittsburgh's last five games, including the Jan. 8 playoff loss at Denver.

He's averaged 18.7 yards per catch in three years here, but only 8.8 yards per catch in the postseason. In eight post-season games, he's averaged 34 yards.

On Sept. 25, 2011, at Indianapolis, Wallace had 144 yards against the Colts and his sixth consecutive 100-yard regular season performance, one short of the all-time NFL record shared by Michael Irvin and Charley Hannigan.

But when he failed to tie the record the next Sunday in Houston, all the juice seemed to go out of his game. By the time Tim Tebow ended the Steelers' season that night in the Rockies, Wallace had goat horns out to here, right? Ben threw it to him 10 times, only three of which Wallace managed to catch for a meaningless 26 yards, and he dropped the 52-yard first-half pass that flipped all momentum to the Broncos. Ben needed Jerricho Cotchery just to force an overtime.

That doesn't sound like the kind of player you want to hang a franchise tag on and wind up paying him something in the neighborhood of $9 million.

Mike Tomlin himself has called Wallace a one-trick pony, more as a motivational ploy than a serious assessment, but here's what makes the Wallace issue so complicated: Even if he is a one-trick pony, it's one helluva trick, and the Steelers dearly love it.

Of all the known pony tricks -- the rearing on command, the galloping with people standing on them, the rolling over, the shaking hands, the waving, the bowing, even the attempted-if-always-unsuccessful pony card tricks -- the Steelers love best the one where Wallace scalds a secondary for 40 or more yards on one play, something he's done 11 times.

The next time Wallace and Ben pull that stunt, they'll have done it twice as often as Terry Bradshaw and John Stallworth. Even in the jet-fueled post-modern NFL, only Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne had done that more than Roethlisberger and Wallace, and only once more at that.

When you're in the entertainment business, this is not small potatoes.

Still, the best trick out there is probably the way the NFL makes us pay attention to this stuff seven months prior to kickoff.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12057/12 ... z1nYw8qzfJ (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12057/1212758-150.stm#ixzz1nYw8qzfJ)

aggiebones
02-27-2012, 02:24 PM
First there are indeed quite a few of quasi-top end WRs out there in FA this year. The list is earlier in this thread.

That means teams will fight for those first since they don't require a 1st round pick. Noone with a top 20 pick would give a 1st rounder (rule is weird as they act as if all 1st rounders are the same value). That leaves about 10-12 teams that 'might' consider it.

There's also only about 2-3 teams in that set who need a WR like Wallace or don't have other needs of equal importance. So maybe only 2 teams 'really' look to make a move like this.

Don't we have the opportunity to match this type of offer if one comes? Let them do our negotiating. Only 1 team will make a 'grand' offer and since they are also giving up a 1st rounder, they might have a hard time opening the pocketbook all the way. The concern is that they tailor the contract so that it doesn't fit the Steelers ability to match. All front loaded or something. But I doubt many teams can do this.

So I imagine if we sign him to a 1st round option, NOONE comes calling or they just do the work for us on his deal.
I think teams will understand that we 'could' accept losing him and they won't play games to hurt our salary cap...knowing we could let him go and they'd be stuck with some weird contract.

Secondly about Cotchery. There's no guarantee that he will be getting some super offers as a no.2.
MAAAYbe as a no.3, but not sure he really could pull off a no.2 anymore. So I could see getting Wallace back and putting up a mild fight for Cotch. The Steelers might be the only team willing to pay him 'abit' extra for a couple year. We'd need to sign him to a longer spread out contract anyway. It would suit him better anyway. With that chunk of talent out there this year, I think there's a better chance of him returning too.

The Steelers may just let this play out a bit. see how many suitors either 'really' have before breaking the bank for either. I think they can get both back for respectable contracts.

But we have alot of young players popping up for new contracts in a couple years. Young DEs, ABrown, maybe Sanders if he has a big year. DB Lewis if he takes over opposite Ike.

We draft and scout well at WR, so I don't think the Steelers will go crazy for any of the WRs. What rounds did we get all these guys:

Wallace, Brown and Sanders were 2nd-5th rounders. Cotchery was on the trash heap. Don't fret too much over either player, but I think there's a chance we keep both.

fezziwig
02-27-2012, 04:31 PM
To me and all this talk about being a passing league, receivers have now become as important or expensive as any left tackles, shut down corner or possibly equal in value or at least close in value to some qb's.
I think Wallace is that type of spreading the defenses and drawing double coverage but, I still don't see him as a game changer. Maybe his time will come on being that guy and maybe with Haley, we will finally have an OC that knows what to do with his talented crew ?

I think the Steelers are hot for keeping Wallace and I have a feeling they will break some hearts with their process in keeping him.