PDA

View Full Version : So Who Here Likes Carl Nicks ?

7 UP
02-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Anyone want to be ill for the rest of the day?

2008 NFL Draft

5.156 Dennis Dixon, Pittsburgh Steelers

5.164 Carl Nicks, New Orleans Saints

Add in the fact that we took in rounds 2 through 4, Limas Sweed, Bruce Davis, and Tony Hills and your stomach ulcer will need coated by lunch time.

RuthlessBurgher
02-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Nicks has stated that he wants more than the seven-year, $56.7 million contract (included a $12 million signing bonus) that the Saints gave Jahri Evans 2 years ago. Even if we drafted Nicks back then, would we be willing to pay more than $8.1 million per year to re-sign a guard right now, given our current cap situation?

7 UP
02-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Whether we would have re-signed him or not, I would gladly have taken the 4 years of stellar line play out a 5th round pick as opposed to what we have had.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-22-2012, 11:16 AM
You can go through every draft and find players who would have looked spectacular in B&G while we drafted a stiff in front of him. That's just the nature of the biz.

We can start in 2000 with.....

5-163 Tee Martin Pittsburgh Steelers
6-199 Tom Brady New England Patriots

Also drafted by the Steelers in 2000

1-8 Plaxico Burress
2-38 Marvel Smith

and here is where it starts to get good

3-72 Kendrick Clancy
3-77 Hank Poteat
4-103 Danny Farmer
5-137 Clark Haggans
5-163 Tee Martin
6-173 Chris Combs
6-204 Jason Gavadza

But the bottom line is that we drafted 3 starters in 2000 who contributed to the successes of our team - Burress, Smith, Haggans

By NFL standards, this is an above average draft.

7 UP
02-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Actually, we drafted 4 stiffs in front of Nicks in 08. Nicks easily should have been a 2nd round pick that year. When he fell to 5 and we drafted Dixon I almost threw my remote through the tv. What did we need more in 08' a 3rd string QB or a starting OG?

To make things worse we passed on Anthony Collins who went to the Bengals in the 4th. He hasnt had the career that Nicks has had, but I was very high on him at the time. He has certainly been more serviceable than Tony Hills.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Actually, we drafted 4 stiffs in front of Nicks in 08. Nicks easily should have been a 2nd round pick that year. When he fell to 5 and we drafted Dixon I almost threw my remote through the tv. What did we need more in 08' a 3rd string QB or a starting OG?

To make things worse we passed on Anthony Collins who went to the Bengals in the 4th. He hasnt had the career that Nicks has had, but I was very high on him at the time. He has certainly been more serviceable than Tony Hills.

Yes, but luckily we salvaged our OG situation by keeping Chris Kemoeatu away from the Jets by signing him to a 5 year contract in '09. :roll:

steelblood
02-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Yep, they missed that one. It happens.

phillyesq
02-22-2012, 12:37 PM
You can go through every draft and find players who would have looked spectacular in B&G while we drafted a stiff in front of him. That's just the nature of the biz.

We can start in 2000 with.....

5-163 Tee Martin Pittsburgh Steelers
6-199 Tom Brady New England Patriots

Also drafted by the Steelers in 2000

1-8 Plaxico Burress
2-38 Marvel Smith

and here is where it starts to get good

3-72 Kendrick Clancy
3-77 Hank Poteat
4-103 Danny Farmer
5-137 Clark Haggans
5-163 Tee Martin
6-173 Chris Combs
6-204 Jason Gavadza

But the bottom line is that we drafted 3 starters in 2000 who contributed to the successes of our team - Burress, Smith, Haggans

By NFL standards, this is an above average draft.

Clancy and Poteat also contributed, a bit with the Steelers and elsewhere.

Your perspective is right on, T.O. You can go through every draft and second guess missed picks in front of guys that really fell.

The pick that I find more frustrating from that draft is Bruce Davis. The Steelers worked out and evaluated Cliff Avril, but then ultimately picked Davis in the third, even though Avril was available.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-22-2012, 01:01 PM
[quote="7 UP":3a7m2357]Actually, we drafted 4 stiffs in front of Nicks in 08. Nicks easily should have been a 2nd round pick that year. When he fell to 5 and we drafted Dixon I almost threw my remote through the tv. What did we need more in 08' a 3rd string QB or a starting OG?

Yes, but luckily we salvaged our OG situation by keeping Chris Kemoeatu away from the Jets by signing him to a 5 year contract in '09. :roll:[/quote:3a7m2357]
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Obviously, the F.O. had a different opinion about Kemo than we do. But hey, we shouldn't ever criticize what they do, because they seem to know what they are doing. :roll: :lol:

BURGH86STEEL
02-22-2012, 01:35 PM

Appears that all teams in the league missed that one more then one time. Many teams missed out on Ben, Polamalu, Brady, Rodgers, and a long list of players though out the years. I don't see the point in playing the woulda, shoulda, coulda game. I guess some people can't move on. Good thing the organization can move on.

hawaiiansteel
02-22-2012, 04:30 PM
if i remember correctly Carl Nicks had some character concerns which caused him to drop.

good for Carl Nicks to turn his life around but i can understand why the Steelers didn't draft him...

flippy
02-22-2012, 05:34 PM
It's easy blocking when your QB takes 3 step drops and gets rid of the ball quickly on every play.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-22-2012, 07:14 PM
It's easy blocking when your QB takes 3 step drops and gets rid of the ball quickly on every play.

Come on flip, you can't make a comment like this without throwing one of these in

:stirpot :stirpot :stirpot :stirpot :stirpot

I have a couple of extras for you.

7 UP
02-22-2012, 08:52 PM

Appears that all teams in the league missed that one more then one time. Many teams missed out on Ben, Polamalu, Brady, Rodgers, and a long list of players though out the years. I don't see the point in playing the woulda, shoulda, coulda game. I guess some people can't move on. Good thing the organization can move on.

This is not a case of missing on a player. Nicks was a player who was rated as late first round talent. He slipped due to a few behavior problems at Nebraska. No one ever thought he would last until the 5th round. If ever there was a time to take a risk it was on this guy. If he would have ended up being a problem, its not too hard to cut a 5th round pick. We always talk about taking the best player available. Well Nicks was the best player available for 3 freaking rounds, and he happened to fill a need.

My whole point is that we absolutely suck at evaluating lineman. We drafted Tony Freaking Hills over Nicks. What does that tell you?

hawaiiansteel
02-22-2012, 09:09 PM

This is not a case of missing on a player. Nicks was a player who was rated as late first round talent. He slipped due to a few behavior problems at Nebraska. No one ever thought he would last until the 5th round. If ever there was a time to take a risk it was on this guy. If he would have ended up being a problem, its not too hard to cut a 5th round pick. We always talk about taking the best player available. Well Nicks was the best player available for 3 freaking rounds, and he happened to fill a need.

My whole point is that we absolutely suck at evaluating lineman. We drafted Tony Freaking Hills over Nicks. What does that tell you?

that hindsight is 20/20?

BURGH86STEEL
02-22-2012, 10:03 PM

that hindsight is 20/20?

Some fans still don't get it. Pointless to harbor on something that happened over 4 years ago. I think the organization did a pretty good job without having Nicks on the team.

7 UP
02-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Your right some fans dont get it. We do the worst job of evauating OL talent in the entire league.

hawaiiansteel
02-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Your right some fans dont get it. We do the worst job of evauating OL talent in the entire league.

it's looking like Maurkice Pouncey and Marcus Gilbert were good selections...

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2012, 01:21 PM

it's looking like Maurkice Pouncey and Marcus Gilbert were good selections...

:Agree

Plus, Starks and Colon, while not All-Pro or anything, have carved out reasonably solid careers for themselves...not an awful payout for a 3rd and 4th round pick, respectively. And while Chris Kemoeatu will likely be a cap casualty this year, it's tough to argue that picking him up in the 6th round wasn't a value pick (in spite of all the stupid penalties over the years). Go back even further...Faneca in the first, Marvel in the second...really good picks. So we've missed a few mid-round OL picks recently...big whoop...it happens. Just because this team swung and missed on Alonzo Jackson and Bruce Davis, does that mean we don't know how to draft linebackers?

NJ-STEELER
02-25-2012, 01:45 PM
is not really hindsight when the guy says it (or claims to say it) before the draft.

whats the word on his problems at nebraska. im wondering why he slipped so far down

NJ-STEELER
02-25-2012, 01:49 PM

late round OL(after the 3rd round) and late round QBs seem to be a problem

dixon and jacobs are horrible QBs

NJ-STEELER
02-25-2012, 01:51 PM

and whats that got to do with the run game, where guards are usually judged for PB selections... see alan faneca

Eddie Spaghetti
02-25-2012, 01:54 PM
[quote="7 UP":1ee9jr6d]Your right some fans dont get it. We do the worst job of evauating OL talent in the entire league.

late round OL(after the 3rd round) and late round QBs seem to be a problem

dixon and jacobs are horrible QBs[/quote:1ee9jr6d]

lets not forget tee martin.

Shoe
02-25-2012, 03:22 PM
I don't want to pay any top-dollar FA's. I only want FA's that fly-under-the-radar... guys like Duval Love, Kevin Greene, Tom Newberry... Not someone who's considered among the best at the position.

hawaiiansteel
03-03-2012, 12:52 AM
Nicks hasnít gotten an offer yet

Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2012

At a time when many NFL observers believe that Saints hope to conclude negotiations with quarterback Drew Brees in order to allow the franchise tag can be applied to Pro Bowl guard Carl Nicks, there could be a slight flaw in that logic.

A league source tells PFT that the Saints have yet to make an offer to Nicks. Which suggests that the Saints are prepared to let him walk away.

If the Saints wanted to try to keep both players and in light of the large gap that reportedly exists between the Saints and Brees, common sense suggests that the Saints would at least make an effort to lock up Nicks. The thinking is that the Saints have instead decided not to tie up so much money in the guard position, given the large contract given last year to Jahri Evans.

So, if the Saints already are prepared to let Nicks walk, thereís no urgency to get a deal with Brees done by Monday.

Of course, in light of the whole bounty thing, the Saints suddenly have far bigger problems than whether the franchise tag is used on Brees or Nicks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... offer-yet/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/02/nicks-hasnt-gotten-an-offer-yet/)

Chucktownsteeler
03-03-2012, 01:21 AM
Anyone want to be ill for the rest of the day?

2008 NFL Draft

5.156 Dennis Dixon, Pittsburgh Steelers

5.164 Carl Nicks, New Orleans Saints

Add in the fact that we took in rounds 2 through 4, Limas Sweed, Bruce Davis, and Tony Hills and your stomach ulcer will need coated by lunch time.

The Steelers over the years have been the most successful organization at drafting, bar none. In 2008 they laid an egg, no doubt. Based on all prior years before and after, I can forgive them of that.

C-town