PDA

View Full Version : deja vu...Santonio and Wallace

steeler_george
02-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Actually the front office has sorta been in this scenerio...

I am sure everyone remembers Wallace being the 3rd WR when we had Holmes. We all saw how he was going to be great, sort of what we are seeing from Brown and I would even say Sanders (if he can get a full year in). I also remember going to the season with a lot of questions regarding our WRs.

We only had and ever aging Ward, a potential star in Wallace, with a lot of questions marks if he was going to be able to step up and replace Santonio and 2 rookies in Brown and Sanders. To make matters worse we had no Ben for the first 4 games.

As it turned out, we went to the Superbowl. Not a bad return on trading SA, huh?

I still wonder till today, if Holmes wasn't such a mess, would we of made that trade to the jets or anyone else. The trade was made to get rid of his character, but add in the fact he was going into his final year of his contract. Would we would of signed him to that big contract anyways? And we had the promise of Wallace in the wings. Now that part sounds familiar, huh? SA=MW=AB

Also we got think under Halley, he is going to bring a more methodical offense and not only live on the BIG PLAYS that we previous had. How many times in the past year, we would go 3 and out, because we didn't get that big play especailly in crunch time. We had the philosophy of BA, "liveby the sword die by the sword".

In other words, we will be more efficient under Halley, and that would definitely mean more REDZONE TDs.

steelblood
02-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Hmm. A lot going on in that post.

I'm not concerned about Wallace. If we assign the high RFA tender, we will either have an excellent bargain for this season or a first round pick in return.

It would suck to lose him. But, life goes on in the NFL. We have made financial decisions that have hamstrung us (resigning Troy, Wood, Harrison, Timmons, Ben, Heath, etc.). The Steelers have drafted well and the cupboard is not bare.

As far as Haley fixing the red zone scoring goes, well, I sure hope he does. But, nothing is guaranteed. I think this season may have an adjustment period. I'm not sure how long that will last.

NW Steeler
02-22-2012, 03:02 PM
What the hell did we end up getting out of that trade anyway? I dont even remember. A 4th round pick? Who did we use the selection on?

Slapstick
02-22-2012, 04:03 PM
The Steelers received a fifth round pick for Santonio...

They traded that pick to Arizona for Bryant McFadden and a 6th round pick...

They used the 6th round pick on Antonio Brown...

NW Steeler
02-22-2012, 05:49 PM
The Steelers received a fifth round pick for Santonio...

They traded that pick to Arizona for Bryant McFadden and a 6th round pick...

They used the 6th round pick on Antonio Brown...

Then it was a pretty damn good trade, all things considered.

TallyStiller
02-23-2012, 01:08 PM
A first rounder for Wallace is a pretty good deal. As more college teams shift to wide open passing offenses, more talent is available at the wide receiver position... Our current corps is a pretty solid group consisting of 3 3rds, a 4th and a 6th rounder. Wally's a great player and talent, and a far better locker room guy than Stonio, but far from irreplaceable, and if we can convert the pick into a lineman to keep Ben upright or a front 7 defender to bring some youth to the defensive core group, I'd be on board.

RKSteel
02-23-2012, 01:44 PM
WR are a dime a dozen. Name one former Steelers WR that went to another team as a free agent and had sucess?

I'm talking to you Thigpen, Johnson, Randle el, Burress, Holmes and Wallace(?).

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Well, Plaxico did catch a game-winning TD in the Super Bowl, making the "to be published only in the event of a win" stipulation of this book a moot point:

http://highbridnation.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/19-0-book-denied.jpg

If only he hadn't tried to sneak a handgun into a NYC nightclub in the elastic waistband of his sweatpants. :lol:

RKSteel
02-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Well, Plaxico did catch a game-winning TD in the Super Bowl, making the "to be published only in the event of a win" stipulation of this book a moot point:

http://highbridnation.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/19-0-book-denied.jpg

If only he hadn't tried to sneak a handgun into a NYC nightclub in the elastic waistband of his sweatpants. :lol:
I almost didn't include Burress cause of his SB TD, but he was so wide open, my daughter could have made the catch. And, during his free agency, no team was knocking down his door to sign him.

frankthetank1
02-24-2012, 08:18 AM
WR are a dime a dozen. Name one former Steelers WR that went to another team as a free agent and had sucess?

I'm talking to you Thigpen, Johnson, Randle el, Burress, Holmes and Wallace(?).

holmes has been good with the jets. its a huge drop off from having ben as your QB then having mark sanchez. Burress had some big years with the giants. nevermind the sb td catch he had a lot of sucess in nyc before that. thigpen, johnson, and ARE all were pretty average WR's who were fortunate enough to be on good teams with a good offense. mike wallace isnt anything like any of these wr's and this situation is very different

TallyStiller
02-24-2012, 08:02 PM
I have no doubt that Wallace is going to be a very good player in the league for a number of years. I'm also of the opinion that blowing up your cap to pay WR's isn't a good idea, and should only be done for the right guy. In the case of the Steelers' current roster, I'd let Wallace walk and pay Antonio Brown instead, because I think the cap situation gets a lot tougher if we pay both.