PDA

View Full Version : Colon Restructures

phillyesq
02-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Willie Colon restructures deal
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 21, 2012, 12:16 PM EST

The Steelers continue to-rework contracts of their veterans in an effort to find some cap space for 2012.

The latest player to adjust his deal: tackle Willie Colon. $3.8 million of Colon’s $4.5 million salary was converted into a bonus that was prorated over the next four years of his contract.

In most situations, Colon would be a candidate for release. He’s only played one game in the last two years because of his injury. The Steelers gave Colon big money last offseason, however, and cutting him now wouldn’t make financial sense. The Steelers are relying on Colon to start at right tackle next year.

I really don't like this at all. Colon is a question mark who could not be released due to the cap implications. I would have preferred to see a difficult cut, which would have provided more flexibility to release Colon next year, if necessary.

A restructure here and there is fine, but I fear that continuing to kick the can down the road will ultimately end up working to the detriment of the team, even accounting for the fact that the cap is likely to increase in the future.

BigRob
02-21-2012, 01:32 PM
The cap is not just set to increase. It is set to explode by at least 20 million from this year to 2013.

The 2014 cap is supposed to be upwards of 160 million. All of the networks are signing monstrous television deals with the NFL because of the decade of labor peace.

phillyesq
02-21-2012, 01:34 PM
The cap is not just set to increase. It is set to explode by at least 20 million from this year to 2013.

The 2014 cap is supposed to be upwards of 160 million. All of the networks are signing monstrous television deals with the NFL because of the decade of labor peace.

I did not realize that the cap was expected to increase that much, but even taking into account those increases, there are backloaded deals for Ben, Woodley and Timmons, among others. There will also be an escalation of player salaries.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Postponing the problem will not solve it. At some point a few years down the road, we may well find ourselves severely hamstrung financially, and unable to contend for several years because of it.

flippy
02-21-2012, 01:46 PM
A Colon Restructure sounds like a painful medical procedure.

RuthlessBurgher
02-21-2012, 01:47 PM
I don't like this. After restructuring Woodley, Timmons, and Ike, I would have gone to Ben, Troy, and Harrison next before even considering restructuring Colon.

Restructuring guys like Woodley, Timmons, and Ben makes sense, because they have long term contracts and are just entering the prime of their careers...they will be here for the long run.

Ike, Troy, and Harrison also makes some sense, because although they are a bit older for their positions, they haven't shown any signs of slowing down.

A Colon restructure doesn't make sense...if he is not the same player after Achilles and triceps surgeries, then we just made it more difficult to cut him. Unlike the other guys mentioned above, he is too much of a question mark right now to be converting base salary to signing bonus right now. If he is not what he once was, we'll be eating a lot of dead money for him (the other 6 guys don't carrry the same degree of risk that a guy who missed the last 2 seasons with major injuries does).

hawaiiansteel
02-21-2012, 01:50 PM

:D

SidSmythe
02-21-2012, 01:59 PM

:D :lol: :D

steelblood
02-21-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't like this. After restructuring Woodley, Timmons, and Ike, I would have gone to Ben, Troy, and Harrison next before even considering restructuring Colon.

Restructuring guys like Woodley, Timmons, and Ben makes sense, because they have long term contracts and are just entering the prime of their careers...they will be here for the long run.

Ike, Troy, and Harrison also makes some sense, because although they are a bit older for their positions, they haven't shown any signs of slowing down.

A Colon restructure doesn't make sense...if he is not the same player after Achilles and triceps surgeries, then we just made it more difficult to cut him. Unlike the other guys mentioned above, he is too much of a question mark right now to be converting base salary to signing bonus right now. If he is not what he once was, we'll be eating a lot of dead money for him (the other 6 guys don't carrry the same degree of risk that a guy who missed the last 2 seasons with major injuries does).

I usually hesitate to agree with someone who moderates. But, in this case, I must. And, Gluttony Rules!

RuthlessBurgher
02-21-2012, 02:07 PM

I usually hesitate to agree with someone who moderates. But, in this case, I must. And, Gluttony Rules!

http://www.3quarksdaily.com/.a/6a00d8341c562c53ef01543409e957970c-800wi

Steelgal
02-21-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm not thrilled with the restructures either, especially this one. I know the cap is set to explode with more tv revenue, but I am not a huge fan of all the redone deals. Just maybe it would be nice, when the cap does significantly go up, to be able to sign a REAL free agent. I can't remember the last big name free agent the Steelers have signed. I know the philosophy is to build through the draft and it's worked very well, but it would be nice to add a stud player or even average player like ben Grubbs via free agency. But instead the added dollars with go to pay for these restructures the Steelers are handicapping themselves with........

It's time for them to start making cuts, whether it be Ward, Foote, Hampton, Kemo, or Smith. Yes they are long-time great Steelers, but their time is over/almost over. Bring them back at vet minimum or let them play elsewhere. To me Smith and Kemo are no-brainers. Either Foote or Farrior will most likely be back, not both. If we lose a player like Mike Wallace because the vets are still around carrying large salaries, I'll really questions the FO's thinking.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-21-2012, 03:05 PM
No problem with it. Tells me they like what they see out of Colon.

Harrison & BB are still in the picture. Miller might be a candidate for a restructure-extend as well as others. They will be restructuring as many as they can to limit the cuts before June 1st. There will be some they want to sit on to spread out the hit if they can.

DukieBoy
02-21-2012, 03:49 PM

:D :lol: :D

Well, he IS getting more $$$ at the back end of his deal.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-21-2012, 05:30 PM
They've ALWAYS liked what they see out of Colon.

Problem is, he hasn't yet played well enough to JUSTIFY all the love, IMO.

I didn't think they should have given him the big deal before last season. But for better or worse, it looks like he's ours for the long-term now.

Shawn
02-22-2012, 09:28 AM
If Colon can stay healthy, we will sing the Steelers FO praises. If he can't...Starks will probably still be sitting at home and we will re-sign him again.

Chadman
02-22-2012, 09:42 AM

I didn't think they should have given him the big deal before last season. But for better or worse, it looks like he's ours for the long-term now.

And therein lies the real 'fly in the oitment' of the percieved belief that Colon is a terrible footballer- he hasn't played well enough to justify his salary IN OUR OPINION.

"Our" opinion, obviously, isn't the same as the guys that seem to know what they are doing!

Colon has constantly graded high in team performance. Maybe all the sacks we are seeing are not necessarily breakdowns along the line?

Colon is one thing- strong at the point of attack. If there is more of an emphasis on the running game, Colon is a good guy to have in at RT.

His real troubles surface when he's asked to block for "Running Ben"- Colon is simply too slow of foot to be much help in that situation. Maybe Haley can implement an offense that plays to guys like Colon's strengths?

The 2 injuries we bang on about here are 2 very seperate injuries. If it was the same thing both times (like Aaron Smith's arm/shoulder issues for example), then fair enough- something to worry about. But really- an achilles & triceps injury, back-to-back are not related. He's not 'injury prone' as we often like to label players- he's just been unfortunate. So long as those injuries appear to have healed, Colon will be fine.

BURGH86STEEL
02-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Willie Colon restructures deal
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 21, 2012, 12:16 PM EST

The Steelers continue to-rework contracts of their veterans in an effort to find some cap space for 2012.

The latest player to adjust his deal: tackle Willie Colon. $3.8 million of Colon’s $4.5 million salary was converted into a bonus that was prorated over the next four years of his contract.

In most situations, Colon would be a candidate for release. He’s only played one game in the last two years because of his injury. The Steelers gave Colon big money last offseason, however, and cutting him now wouldn’t make financial sense. The Steelers are relying on Colon to start at right tackle next year.

I really don't like this at all. Colon is a question mark who could not be released due to the cap implications. I would have preferred to see a difficult cut, which would have provided more flexibility to release Colon next year, if necessary.

A restructure here and there is fine, but I fear that continuing to kick the can down the road will ultimately end up working to the detriment of the team, even accounting for the fact that the cap is likely to increase in the future.

They restructured contracts for years. There's always going to be dead salary cap money because of injuries, cuts, and anything that has to do with the financial implications of personnel decisions. They always seem to be able to balance it out.

7 UP
02-22-2012, 09:59 AM

And therein lies the real 'fly in the oitment' of the percieved belief that Colon is a terrible footballer- he hasn't played well enough to justify his salary IN OUR OPINION.

"Our" opinion, obviously, isn't the same as the guys that seem to know what they are doing!

Colon has constantly graded high in team performance. Maybe all the sacks we are seeing are not necessarily breakdowns along the line?

Colon is one thing- strong at the point of attack. If there is more of an emphasis on the running game, Colon is a good guy to have in at RT.

His real troubles surface when he's asked to block for "Running Ben"- Colon is simply too slow of foot to be much help in that situation. Maybe Haley can implement an offense that plays to guys like Colon's strengths?

The 2 injuries we bang on about here are 2 very seperate injuries. If it was the same thing both times (like Aaron Smith's arm/shoulder issues for example), then fair enough- something to worry about. But really- an achilles & triceps injury, back-to-back are not related. He's not 'injury prone' as we often like to label players- he's just been unfortunate. So long as those injuries appear to have healed, Colon will be fine.

If the Steelers " know what they are doing" in terms of putting a line together, then why do we trot out one of the worst lines in the league year in and year out?

Slapstick
02-22-2012, 10:12 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":14bfco16]No problem with it. Tells me they like what they see out of Colon.

If the Steelers " know what they are doing" in terms of putting a line together, then why do we trot out one of the worst lines in the league year in and year out?[/quote:14bfco16]

Maybe we don't...

BradshawsHairdresser
02-22-2012, 10:14 AM

Yeah, Colon's a great blocker :roll: ... he couldn't even block for Ben outside that restroom in Georgia. Two years ago, when Willie went down with injury and they brought Flozell in, there was a marked improvement at his position, and not just in pass blocking...in run blocking as well. And he's played, what, one game in two years? So now we're going to EXTEND his contract so that we have to keep him around LONGER?

I know you don't think we ought to question the Steelers' FO who "seem to know what they're doing"... Yeah, that new deal they gave Kemo a couple years back, that was a brilliant idea :roll:. For whatever reason, I think they have a difficult time evaluating some of the O-linemen. In their minds a healthy Jonathan Scott > a healthy Max Starks. I don't agree...but hey, my opinion isn't the same as the guys who "know what they are doing," so I guess I'm supposed to shut up about it.

BURGH86STEEL
02-22-2012, 10:21 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":2paiv39l]No problem with it. Tells me they like what they see out of Colon.

If the Steelers " know what they are doing" in terms of putting a line together, then why do we trot out one of the worst lines in the league year in and year out?[/quote:2paiv39l]
Injuries and losses affected the offensive line more then any other factor over the years.

7 UP
02-22-2012, 10:33 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":13m63p00]No problem with it. Tells me they like what they see out of Colon.

If the Steelers " know what they are doing" in terms of putting a line together, then why do we trot out one of the worst lines in the league year in and year out?
Injuries and losses affected the offensive line more then any other factor over the years.[/quote:13m63p00]

We keep making the same mistakes over and over. We are completely unable to evaluate OL talent. We keep signing guys that have no upside at all. Colon, Starks, Kemo, Essex are average lineman and thats being kind. Everyone knows what we have in those guys, and its not good. We make no effort to upgrade. We keep trying to fix a problem by staying exactly the same, and its never going to work.

I have no doubt we are in for another season of horrible Oline play. And I cant wait to hear how Colon grades out so well eventhough he clearly gets his @$$ kicked weekly by the guy in front of him. :roll:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-22-2012, 10:55 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3sh0pw7c]No problem with it. Tells me they like what they see out of Colon.

If the Steelers " know what they are doing" in terms of putting a line together, then why do we trot out one of the worst lines in the league year in and year out?[/quote:3sh0pw7c]

Well being that the foundation for success is the OL & DL and the Steelers have been in the SB 3 out of the last 7 and only missed the playoffs twice in that span...How bad can they be? We all know the association of BB with the sack stats and we don't have to get into BA designs. Since it sounds like you are basing their play on sacks here is some info to consider. Over the last 5 years, the team that has given up the least sacks or had the number one rushing offense made the playoffs 60% of the time...6 out of 10 teams. 1 out of those 10 teams made a SB appearance. 0 out of those 10 teams won the SB. Last year, 2 out of the Top 5 rushing offenses made the playoffs and 2 out of the Top 5 sacks given up made the playoffs. Best OL in football with sacks given up??? The 6-10 Bills. Stats tell the tale?

The OL is not horrible. They could upgrade at positions no doubt. If you watch the game and just watch the OL you could see many reasons why they get labels. Seeing a blown assignment or getting beat by the intitial move off the snap is one thing. But giving up a sack after 3 pump fakes or trying to escape the pocket to create something is hard to put on an OL all the time. Pouncey, Gilbert, & Colon are solid OL starters anywhere in the league. The OG could be upgraded but that is the case for many teams in the league...Not just the Steelers.

Shawn
02-22-2012, 11:03 AM

And the Society of Colon Assessment and Treatment would agree with you. :P

RuthlessBurgher
02-22-2012, 11:18 AM
So now we're going to EXTEND his contract so that we have to keep him around LONGER?

Well, we didn't add any years or money. The restructure just means that his cap hit will be less for this year, and more for the rest of years of the deal. We save roughly $3 million on the cap this year, and increase his cap hit by about a million per year for each of the years remaining on his deal after this season.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-22-2012, 11:34 AM
So now we're going to EXTEND his contract so that we have to keep him around LONGER?

Well, we didn't add any years or money. The restructure just means that his cap hit will be less for this year, and more for the rest of years of the deal. We save roughly $3 million on the cap this year, and increase his cap hit by about a million per year for each of the years remaining on his deal after this season.

Does it make it more difficult, or less difficult, to cut him before next season if we find that
he can't do the job? I would think that the increased cap hit in coming years will make it less likely that we will be able to cut him, even if it becomes clear that his play is on the decline.

Chadman
02-22-2012, 12:01 PM

Yeah, Colon's a great blocker :roll: ... he couldn't even block for Ben outside that restroom in Georgia. Two years ago, when Willie went down with injury and they brought Flozell in, there was a marked improvement at his position, and not just in pass blocking...in run blocking as well. And he's played, what, one game in two years? So now we're going to EXTEND his contract so that we have to keep him around LONGER?

I know you don't think we ought to question the Steelers' FO who "seem to know what they're doing"... Yeah, that new deal they gave Kemo a couple years back, that was a brilliant idea :roll:. For whatever reason, I think they have a difficult time evaluating some of the O-linemen. In their minds a healthy Jonathan Scott > a healthy Max Starks. I don't agree...but hey, my opinion isn't the same as the guys who "know what they are doing," so I guess I'm supposed to shut up about it.

You could get snipey & take it personal Chadman supposes..

Was merely trying to point out that OUR opinion seems to differ from the F.O's in Colon's case. As for 'knowing what they are doing'- Chadman apologizes- hadn't realised how many SB rings you wore.

Chadman takes it all back.

:?

Chadman
02-22-2012, 12:03 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3vmxhgyc]No problem with it. Tells me they like what they see out of Colon.

If the Steelers " know what they are doing" in terms of putting a line together, then why do we trot out one of the worst lines in the league year in and year out?[/quote:3vmxhgyc]

Because they sink more cap money into other areas perhaps? Maybe it isn't possible to trot out 53 pro-bowlers every year after all?

BradshawsHairdresser
02-22-2012, 12:51 PM

Was merely trying to point out that OUR opinion seems to differ from the F.O's in Colon's case. As for 'knowing what they are doing'- Chadman apologizes- hadn't realised how many SB rings you wore.

My bad...I thought this board was here for us to express our differences of opinion. I should have known better. I should have known that if I did express my opinion, somebody would feel that I was being "snipey" and "taking it personal."

I think the FO does a great job, overall...but I should have known that on this board, we're all supposed to wave our pom-poms and applaud EVERYTHING they do.

Again, MY sincere apologies. :?

Slapstick
02-22-2012, 01:08 PM

My bad...I thought this board was here for us to express our differences of opinion. I should have known better. I should have known that if I did express my opinion, somebody would feel that I was being "snipey" and "taking it personal."

I think the FO does a great job, overall...but I should have known that on this board, we're all supposed to wave our pom-poms and applaud EVERYTHING they do.

Again, MY sincere apologies. :?

This board is here to respectfully express our differences of opinion...Chadman probably felt (and I agree) that the tone of that particular post was borderline disrespectful (hence "snipey" and "taking it personal").

As a Steeler fan, I can understand that you are frustrated with the o-line in particular...that's fine...but, you don't need to vent that frustration directly upon other board members...

As far as I know, none of us work in the Steelers' personnel department...

RuthlessBurgher
02-22-2012, 01:32 PM

Does it make it more difficult, or less difficult, to cut him before next season if we find that
he can't do the job? I would think that the increased cap hit in coming years will make it less likely that we will be able to cut him, even if it becomes clear that his play is on the decline.

Exactly, which is why I stated earlier in this thread that after that Woodley, Timmons, and Ike restructures already in the books, I would have gone to Ben, Troy, and Harrison next before considering Colon, since it is still up in the air how well he will be able to come back from consecutive seasons lost to injury.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Exactly, which is why I stated earlier in this thread that after that Woodley, Timmons, and Ike restructures already in the books, I would have gone to Ben, Troy, and Harrison next before considering Colon, since it is still up in the air how well he will be able to come back from consecutive seasons lost to injury.

:Agree

feltdizz
02-22-2012, 01:47 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1n0899kf]No problem with it. Tells me they like what they see out of Colon.

Maybe we don't...[/quote:1n0899kf]

:Agree

DHSF
02-23-2012, 12:15 AM
I think the biggest problem with the O-line the last few years has been injuries. How many times last season was there a different group of 5 blocking? Continuity with an O-line makes a big difference. I agree that the O-line could use an upgrade at guard and tackle. I don't think that our problems in sacks or the running game is can all be blamed on scrubs playing the O-line. Get some continuity, even with mediocre linemen, and you can have success in the running and passing game, especially with the skills players we have on the roster.

Slapstick
02-23-2012, 10:13 AM
If the Steelers can avoid the injury bug, I can see this year's line being much stronger than last year...

phillyesq
02-23-2012, 10:28 AM
I think the biggest problem with the O-line the last few years has been injuries. How many times last season was there a different group of 5 blocking? Continuity with an O-line makes a big difference. I agree that the O-line could use an upgrade at guard and tackle. I don't think that our problems in sacks or the running game is can all be blamed on scrubs playing the O-line. Get some continuity, even with mediocre linemen, and you can have success in the running and passing game, especially with the skills players we have on the roster.

Injuries play a part, but I think talent is the bigger issue. You can probably get away with any of the guys that the Steelers started on the Oline as a starter. But what the line lacks is above average talent. Aside from Pouncey, I'm not sure that anybody on the line is above average. The guards are below average as starters, and the tackles average at best (though Gilbert does have potential).

pfelix73
02-23-2012, 11:00 AM
It's funny how people have different perspectives. I guess it would be a boring world if we all thought alike.

I think just the opposite. I think we have 5 young guys that if they can stay healthy, will become a pretty good OL. The weak link (Foster), however might get some competition at RG via FA or draft And yea, all those injuries were a major factor last season.

Sounding like (via Ed Buchette this morning) that the Steelers may be keeping Kemo on the roster after all. Says they would've cut him already if they didn't want him on the team. Might just restructure the contract downward as in backup role pay instead of starting pay. Apparently he is ok with that from what Ed was saying....

On another note, Buchette thinks we get another 1st round pick and Wallace goes.....

:tt1