PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Should Go After Plax

flippy
02-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Let Ward go. Let Cotchery go. And gain some leverage in the long term contract negotiations with Wallace.

We'd be perfectly fine for the next 2-3 years with Plax, Brown, and Sanders.

Then there's less risk in tendering Wallace and losing him. And the money spent on Plax saves us on Wallace's contract because he'll be forced to sign for less knowing we can be successful without him.

SteelBucks
02-20-2012, 07:14 PM
That's a risk I'm not willing to take.

hawaiiansteel
02-20-2012, 07:20 PM
I'm not against signing Plax, but do you really believe he would be happy being our #4 WR?

I would much rather find a way to keep Wallace and have AB and Sanders be the #2 and #3 WRs...

flippy
02-20-2012, 07:24 PM
If he outplays Wallace, Brown, and/or Sanders, no need to keep him at #4 on the depth chart.

I think he'd beat out the young guys. And push them to be better players.

If you could get him for the money you'd have to pay Ward to keep him, would you do it? I would if it makes the team better.

We pursued him last year. Where was he gonna land on the depth chart then?

SteelBucks
02-20-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm not against signing Plax, but do you really believe he would be happy being our #4 WR?

I would much rather find a way to keep Wallace and have AB and Sanders be the #2 and #3 WRs...

:Agree

Plax would be a nice RZ target and pretty much nothing else. He'll end up with the iggles (as they say here in Philly).

D Rock
02-20-2012, 07:33 PM
No thanks. I'll keep Cotchery or Ward.

SteelBucks
02-20-2012, 07:39 PM
If you could get him for the money you'd have to pay Ward to keep him, would you do it? I would if it makes the team better.

Ward will have to take a significant pay cut just to possibly stay in Pittsburgh (even that may not be enough). I don't think Plax would agree to play for the vet minimum.

I don't have anything against Plax....heck I was hoping he would sign in the offseason. I just think Cotchery is a more complete WR that has some upside.

Chadman
02-20-2012, 07:40 PM
If the Steelers want a big, aging WR...just sign T.O.!

T.O.!

T.O.!!

SteelBucks
02-20-2012, 08:01 PM

T.O.!

T.O.!!

Here here! Let Cotchery, Ward and Wallace walk. Replace with T.O., Moss and Plax! :wink:

Chadman
02-20-2012, 08:09 PM

T.O.!

T.O.!!

Here here! Let Cotchery, Ward and Wallace walk. Replace with T.O., Moss and Plax! :wink:

Reckon Jerry Rice can still run?

phillyesq
02-20-2012, 08:21 PM
At times last season, Plax seemed to share the malcontent role quite nicely with Holmes.

Even if you ignore that most of his contributions came in one game, I still pass on him.

SteelBucks
02-20-2012, 08:24 PM

T.O.!

T.O.!!

Reckon Jerry Rice can still run?

What's Marvin Harrison doing these days.....besides shooting people at his Philly owned car wash?

Steelhere10
02-20-2012, 08:32 PM
I hate this time of the year, every player we should sign, we should never sign our own, Our coach suck , the organization is terrible , Ben did or didn't do etc. Did I mi ss anything?

D Rock
02-20-2012, 08:41 PM
I hate this time of the year, every player we should sign, we should never sign our own, Our coach suck , the organization is terrible , Ben did or didn't do etc. Did I mi ss anything?

I don't know... can you play center?

Chadman
02-20-2012, 08:43 PM

Oh! And take the top off the defense like Wallace?

SteelBucks
02-20-2012, 08:46 PM

Oh! And take the top off the defense like Wallace?
:lol:

Steelhere10
02-20-2012, 08:49 PM
I can't play center Or take the top of the D but I can long snap the He11 out of a dorito. Lol

Chadman
02-20-2012, 09:12 PM
I can't play center Or take the top of the D but I can long snap the He11 out of a dorito. Lol

Will you play for Vet Minimum? We're tight against the cap, you know?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-20-2012, 10:07 PM
The Plax window was last year. I was a big supporter. Say goodbye to Ward and Cotchery and no to Plex. Window shut in Denver on that end of the roster...sorry to say. The FO is loading the clips as we speak so get ready for the next run with new faces in big places.

fordfixer
02-21-2012, 02:32 AM

T.O.!

T.O.!!
Chadman is Al Davis

Chadman
02-21-2012, 05:52 AM

T.O.!

T.O.!!
Chadman is Al Davis

While we are at it- where's Bethel Johnson?

And Lee Mays? We simply can't go on without Lee Mays.

phillyesq
02-21-2012, 09:17 AM

T.O.!

T.O.!!
Chadman is Al Davis

This prompted me to go look up his stats. As much as I had tried to block out Lee Mays, he wasn't as far in the past as I thought. He's younger than Hines and Plax.

Eich
02-21-2012, 09:17 AM
I posted this in another topic "Plax?" and wonder why there isn't much chatter about him in general.

I wouldn't be against bringing him in, particularly if we end up losing Wallace and Cotchery. Plax was on a disaster of a team last year. I don't think you can draw many conclusions from his season there.

What makes him slightly more interesting is that I would think you could still get him relatively cheaply. His season with the tail-spinning Jets didn't bring him any value.

That said, I would much prefer to keep our "young money" guys and build a trio that is great for years.

phillyesq
02-21-2012, 09:31 AM
What makes him slightly more interesting is that I would think you could still get him relatively cheaply. His season with the tail-spinning Jets didn't bring him any value.

He would be cheap because he was among the worst starting WRs in the league last year. He only averaged 38 yards per game as a starter. Take away the one 3 td game he had, and his performance looks downright terrible.

Slapstick
02-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Actually, I have fond memories of Lee Mays...

Although he had only 9 catches during that awesome 15-1 regular season, I seem to recall most of those catches being on pivotal 3rd down situations (the Jacksonville game sticks out in my mind) that contributed to wins...

I remember thinking that he would build upon that for 2005, but that was not to be...

RuthlessBurgher
02-21-2012, 11:10 AM
The Jets made a mistake last year letting an in-his-prime Cotchery go and replacing him with an over-the-hill Burress. Our team won't make the same mistake.

D Rock
02-21-2012, 11:41 AM

T.O.!

T.O.!!
Chadman is Al Davis

Bethel Johnson?!?

Of all the receivers you could have picked from, how in the world did you decide to bring him in to this?

flippy
02-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Surprised no one's mentioned Weegie Thompson yet.

Seriously though, I didn't really watch the Jets. But his numbers seemed effective with 8 TDs and 13.6 YPC with a subpar QB. Given he didn't put up huge numbers, he's probably not inline for a huge contract. And he probably knows his best days are behind him so he'd probably be willing to be a #3 or #4 option at this point.

I dunno. I heard an interview with him last offseason and he sounds like a different person that's really matured. He has more game than Ward at this point. And I don't see Cotchery wanting to stick around when he can clearly contribute more to another team. Plus Plax can create some matchup problems for us in the RZ where we've really struggled last year. And the one game I did see of the Jets, Plax delivered a block that would have made Ward proud. I saw effort out of him that tells me he still has a passion for the game.

I suspect we'll pursue some veteran WR option to compliment our youngsters. My gut says Ward and Cotch are gone. And there may even be a little upside to his game given that this was his first season back after prison.

I'm just thinking this might be an opportunity to buy low and get something of value in return.

phillyesq
02-21-2012, 12:56 PM

Seriously though, I didn't really watch the Jets. But his numbers seemed effective with 8 TDs and 13.6 YPC with a subpar QB. Given he didn't put up huge numbers, he's probably not inline for a huge contract. And he probably knows his best days are behind him so he'd probably be willing to be a #3 or #4 option at this point.

I dunno. I heard an interview with him last offseason and he sounds like a different person that's really matured. He has more game than Ward at this point. And I don't see Cotchery wanting to stick around when he can clearly contribute more to another team. Plus Plax can create some matchup problems for us in the RZ where we've really struggled last year. And the one game I did see of the Jets, Plax delivered a block that would have made Ward proud. I saw effort out of him that tells me he still has a passion for the game.

I suspect we'll pursue some veteran WR option to compliment our youngsters. My gut says Ward and Cotch are gone. And there may even be a little upside to his game given that this was his first season back after prison.

I'm just thinking this might be an opportunity to buy low and get something of value in return.

Flippy, Plax had 3 tds in one game. While a great game, it means that the rest of his season was very mediocre.

By way of comparison, Plax essentially filled the role of Braylon Edwards. Braylon had 907 yards receiveing, 7 tds, and averaged 17.1 YPC in his last season with the Jets. By every measure, that is better than what Burress did, yet none of us are pining for Edwards, nor should we be.

As for his attitude, Plaxico and Santonio spend a bunch of time talking about flight 1017 or whatever the hell they called themselves. Both are "me first" type players. I remember one Jets game in particular. The offense wasn't getting it done, and they sat on the sidelines, hats pulled down over their eyes, looking at the ground. No communication. No attempt to solve the problem. Just sulking. I want no part of either one of these guys.

Let Burress go to Philly and swap prison stories with Vick.

ikestops85
02-21-2012, 03:53 PM

Of course nobody has mentioned Weegie. Everybody with half a brain knows that we are bringing back Fred Gibson ... the NFL's next receiving superstar. :lol:

7 UP
02-21-2012, 04:35 PM
All I have to say is that Will Blackwell is well rested and ready to play.

Starlifter
02-21-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm trying to figure out what Plax brings to the table these days. He's tall. ok, that's one. He's not fast. In my opinion he doesn't have fly paper hands. He has never proven to be a work-a-holic. is he known as a crisp runner of routes? yes, he has veteran experience. Has he used that experience to excel? I don't believe so. He would probably play for the league minimum. I'm sure we can find other tall receivers who are younger and faster who would do the same. I guess my point is - I don't see very much upside to the signing. He saves us money, but I don't believe he adds anything beyond that. He's not someone opposing D's would game plan around. He might be a better presence in the locker room - but I think we have some pretty good locker room guys already.

so if I'm kevin colbert - my answer is no.

anger 82&95
02-21-2012, 05:06 PM

Of course nobody has mentioned Weegie. Everybody with half a brain knows that we are bringing back Fred Gibson ... the NFL's next receiving superstar. :lol:
and Danny Farmer...

flippy
02-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Bring back Limas Sweed!

hawaiiansteel
03-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Ed: Plax on Signing with Steelers

TUESDAY, 06 MARCH 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Today (March 6) on SiriusXM NFL Radio, hosts Adam Schein and Rich Gannon spoke with free agent wide receiver Plaxico Burress.

On the Steelers:

Schein:: “Would you ever consider going back to Pittsburgh?”

Burress:: “Definitely. I talk to Ben [Roethlisberger] every now and again, maybe once a month or whatever that may be. Ben Roethlisberger’s always been my favorite quarterback. People can say what they want to about him but the guy just goes out and wins. He’s been that way since he came to Pittsburgh in 2004 [and] we went 15-1. You know, it may not be pretty at all times but the guy wins. I say that he’s going to be as close to John Elway as anybody’s going to get. He’s a competitive player. I love that edge that he plays with. He’s tough as they come and he’s always been my favorite quarterback. So, with that being said, of course I’m open to going back to Pittsburgh.”

https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/ind ... h-steelers (https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115233-ed-plax-on-signing-with-steelers)

Jooser
03-07-2012, 08:02 AM
Steelers on bringing Plax back: "Absolutely not."

:D

SteelBucks
03-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Ed: Plax on Signing with Steelers

TUESDAY, 06 MARCH 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Today (March 6) on SiriusXM NFL Radio, hosts Adam Schein and Rich Gannon spoke with free agent wide receiver Plaxico Burress.

On the Steelers:

Schein:: “Would you ever consider going back to Pittsburgh?”

Burress:: “Definitely. I talk to Ben [Roethlisberger] every now and again, maybe once a month or whatever that may be. Ben Roethlisberger’s always been my favorite quarterback. People can say what they want to about him but the guy just goes out and wins. He’s been that way since he came to Pittsburgh in 2004 [and] we went 15-1. You know, it may not be pretty at all times but the guy wins. I say that he’s going to be as close to John Elway as anybody’s going to get. He’s a competitive player. I love that edge that he plays with. He’s tough as they come and he’s always been my favorite quarterback. So, with that being said, of course I’m open to going back to Pittsburgh.”

https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/ind ... h-steelers (https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115233-ed-plax-on-signing-with-steelers)

Plax will be open to going anywhere as long as he gets paid. IMO, he'll sign with Philadelphia.

phillyesq
03-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Plax will be open to going anywhere as long as he gets paid. IMO, he'll sign with Philadelphia.

He'll absolutely go to anybody who will pay him. I could see him in Philadelphia. He and Vick could swap prison stories.

RuthlessBurgher
03-07-2012, 11:21 AM

He'll absolutely go to anybody who will pay him. I could see him in Philadelphia. He and Vick could swap prison stories.

"How was Joliet?"

"Oh, it's bad."

"On Thursday night they serve a wicked pepper steak."

"Can't be as bad as the cabbage rolls at the Terre Haute Federal Pen."

"Or that oatmeal at the Cook County slammer."