PDA

View Full Version : Steelers will move Marcus Gilbert to left tackle

hawaiiansteel
02-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Steelers will move Marcus Gilbert to left tackle

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 20, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/m-gilbert1.jpg?w=140

The Steelers have a lot of questions on the offensive line. But they hope they already have their left tackle of the present and future on the roster.

Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert told 93.7 the Fan in Pittsburgh that the team will move Marcus Gilbert from right tackle to left tackle next season. Thatís not a good sign for Max Starks, who tore his ACL and is an impending free agent.

Gilbert, a second round pick in 2011, looked competent while starting most of last season at right tackle. The team expects Willie Colon to return from injury and play right tackle. Jonathan Scott would be the swing tackle.

The team could invest another draft pick at tackle, but Gilbert and Colon look like the presumptive starters next season. Pittsburgh has been looking for a winning combination on the offensive line for a while now. Cutting down on the teamís sacks is an organizational priority this year.

Any improvement will have to come from new coordinator Todd Haley and the new arrangement of offensive line pieces.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ft-tackle/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/20/steelers-will-move-marcus-gilbert-to-left-tackle/)

NottinghamForest_UK
02-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Listening to Colbert earlier on Steeler.com, this isn't quite accurate! His words were if the season were to start today with injuries etc then Gilbert would start at Left Tackle, so don't read to much into the article.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Maybe Starks will rehab & be strong & available as a late season addition if we need a replacement due to injury. I am unsure I want to head into the season relying on Colon staying healthy.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Steelers will move Marcus Gilbert to left tackle

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 20, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/m-gilbert1.jpg?w=140

The Steelers have a lot of questions on the offensive line. But they hope they already have their left tackle of the present and future on the roster.

Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert told 93.7 the Fan in Pittsburgh that the team will move Marcus Gilbert from right tackle to left tackle next season. Thatís not a good sign for Max Starks, who tore his ACL and is an impending free agent.

Gilbert, a second round pick in 2011, looked competent while starting most of last season at right tackle. The team expects Willie Colon to return from injury and play right tackle. Jonathan Scott would be the swing tackle.

The team could invest another draft pick at tackle, but Gilbert and Colon look like the presumptive starters next season. Pittsburgh has been looking for a winning combination on the offensive line for a while now. Cutting down on the teamís sacks is an organizational priority this year.

Any improvement will have to come from new coordinator Todd Haley and the new arrangement of offensive line pieces.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ft-tackle/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/20/steelers-will-move-marcus-gilbert-to-left-tackle/)

I get an involuntary shudder every time I realize our Franchise QB still depends on Jonathan Scott to keep from getting injured.

This isn't just (still) a bad dream? :wft

flippy
02-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Listening to Colbert earlier on Steeler.com, this isn't quite accurate! His words were if the season were to start today with injuries etc then Gilbert would start at Left Tackle, so don't read to much into the article.

All these writers are hacks. I listened to and Colbert said exactly what you said and nothing close to what this article says.

Oviedo
02-20-2012, 07:29 PM
I would have Max Starks on speed dial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phillyesq
02-21-2012, 11:58 AM
This is an old issue -- Gilbert was told in his exit interview to be ready to play LT. If the Steelers don't add somebody in the draft that is seen as a LT, I would expect Gilbert to start the season there, with Colon pencilled in at RT.

I think Scott become a cap casaulty, and the Steelers draft at least one OT for depth.

As for Starks, I shudder to think about his physical conditioning coming off ACL surgery. I can't imagine that there will be a big demand for his services, and I could see him being resigned again at midseason to the veteran minimum.

steelz09
02-21-2012, 12:23 PM
I would have Max Starks on speed dial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I completely agree.

If someone sneezes on Colon, he'll probably have a season ending injury to make it 3 in a row. I still think they should consider bringing Starks back. Injuries will happen especially on the OL and we saw how valuable Starks was last season.

I still think:

LT: Starks
LG: Rookie - Konz / Glenn
C: Pouncey
RG: Colon
RT: Gilbert

Hypothetically speaking, I think that lineup (if healthy) would turn our sub-par OL into one of the better overall OL's in the league. And all it would take is a healthy Starks and a 1st round rookie. :)

Slapstick
02-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Colon gets a bad rap, but it is undeserved...

He had two freak, unrelated season ending injuries...

Poor timing and bad coincidence, but nothing more that...

The thing is, Max Starks also ended the last two seasons on injured reserve...with two freak, unrelated injuries...but everyone seems to think that he will be able to return to form...

Strange...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-21-2012, 12:44 PM

The thing is, Max Starks also ended the last two seasons on injured reserve...with two freak, unrelated injuries...but everyone seems to think that he will be able to return to form...

Strange...

I doubt that Starks will be able to return, and that is a shame. The difference between the two is that was never a fan of Colon and never trusted him as our RT. OTOH I have thought for some time that Starks got a really bad rap from Steeler Nation which was undeserved. I find it funny how so many are backing him now when he has been so unappreciated throughout most of his career.

Oviedo
02-21-2012, 12:45 PM
This is an old issue -- Gilbert was told in his exit interview to be ready to play LT. If the Steelers don't add somebody in the draft that is seen as a LT, I would expect Gilbert to start the season there, with Colon pencilled in at RT.

I think Scott become a cap casaulty, and the Steelers draft at least one OT for depth.

As for Starks, I shudder to think about his physical conditioning coming off ACL surgery. I can't imagine that there will be a big demand for his services, and I could see him being resigned again at midseason to the veteran minimum.

many people who thought they could play LT in the NFL have failed. Gilbert has to show me first but I would be very concerned if I was the Steelers.

steelz09
02-21-2012, 12:50 PM

Strange...

Starks is more valuable than Colon. He is a better player than Colon. Starks **could** play RT. He did at one point but somehow turned into a better player at LT than he was at RT. Colon could not play LT. No chance...

Starks is a LT, obviously... They are matched up against the opposing teams best rusher every single week. He's not a pro bowler but he has done well over the years especially considering Ben's playing style. The Steelers got LUCKY that Starks was able to come in and play that well..... think of what the entire season would have looked like with J. Scott as our LT. Yikes... Ben would have been dead before mid season.

So, let's say Starks and Colon are both healthy....

Would you keep a player that can only play RT at an average (at best) level or Max Starks who can play RT and LT. I would pick Starks considering you have Gilbert who can also play LT, and RT and he plays RT better than Colon already.

Oviedo
02-21-2012, 12:56 PM

Strange...

Starks is more valuable than Colon. He is a better player than Colon. Starks **could** play RT. He did at one point but somehow turned into a better player at LT than he was at RT. Colon could not play LT. No chance...

Starks is a LT, obviously... They are matched up against the opposing teams best rusher every single week. He's not a pro bowler but he has done well over the years especially considering Ben's playing style. The Steelers got LUCKY that Starks was able to come in and play that well..... think of what the entire season would have looked like with J. Scott as our LT. Yikes... Ben would have been dead before mid season.

Would you keep a player that can only play RT at an average (at best) level or Max Starks who can play RT and LT. I would pick Starks considering you have Gilbert who can also play LT, and RT and he plays RT better than Colon already.

:Agree Starks offers way more than Colon but for whatever reason there is a love affair with Colon for things we as fans don't see. Problem is that Starks is an injury unknown and for now Colon is a partial known. If not for that injury I have little doubt we would be trying to resign Starks but not sure you can release Colon not knowing what will hapen with Starks.

Personally, I think Gilbert played as well as I ever saw Colon play.

Slapstick
02-21-2012, 12:58 PM

Strange...

All of this is subjective...Colon gets a similar bad rap from Steelernation just as Starks did back in the day...

The thing is, as I said, both players, regardless of how valuable one thinks they are, have ended each of the last two season on injured reserve...

I don't understand why people think that Starks will be able to return, but not Colon...

That's all...

grotonsteel
02-21-2012, 01:15 PM

many people who thought they could play LT in the NFL have failed. Gilbert has to show me first but I would be very concerned if I was the Steelers.

Its not a coincidence that Steelers Offense started performing well when Max Starks returned as a LT.

Unfortunately for Steelers Max won't be healthy next season. Steelers need to fix O-line as a priority. Stop with J Scott experiment. Right now Steelers don't have a LT which is really shocking.

RuthlessBurgher
02-21-2012, 01:39 PM
In the last 2 seasons, Starks has needed neck surgery and ACL surgery. The neck surgery is the more serious, potentially career threatening injury, but he showed us last season that he was able to come back from that and play well. ACL injuries are rather commonplace, and surgical techniques have improved to the point that rehab time is significantly less than it used to be. The neck injury seems to have been resolved, and is no longer a question mark, and an ACL repair is a relatively straightforward procedure now. Add in the fact that we have seen Starks play well recently...that makes me feel a bit better about Starks.

In the last 2 seasons, Colon has needed Achilles tendon surgery and triceps surgery. We are not even sure how well he was able to play with the reconstructed Achilles before he tore his triceps as well. So that is two question marks still hovering over his head, with no recent playing time. Colon has more rehab time in already vs. Starks, plus he is already under contract...those are the only positives Colon has over Starks at this juncture.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Colon has more rehab time in already vs. Starks, plus he is already under contract...those are the only positives Colon has over Starks at this juncture.

There's one more...Colon is a closer party bud for Ben than Starks is. :lol:

pfelix73
02-21-2012, 08:33 PM
And once again, reality has set in. Gilbert is moved to LT just on que. He was originally drafted to be the long-term LT, so there he goes to where he belongs.

Colon gets a restructured contract which means the Steelers are indeed committed to him. He goes into his usual RT spot. Therefore, we now know 4 of our starting linemen and probably (in reality) all 5 of our starting OL for the 2012 season. And I'm OK with it. I know alot of you aren't but I'm gonna be interested in seeing just how much of a change- scheme-wise, Haley is gonna bring to the table. Those changes alone can really make a big difference in how the OL blocks, executes. Maybe we'll add a better blocking TE to the roster, or dare I say it- A FB!

:tt1

hawaiiansteel
02-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Colon provides cap relief

Wednesday, February 22, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

While the Steelers made another bookkeeping move to dig out more room on their salary cap, they also made a statement -- offensive tackle Willie Colon is here to stay.

Colon, who has played just one game the past two seasons because of injuries, restructured his contract to whittle $2.85 million off the salary accounting for 2012.

It still leaves them roughly $8 million over the cap before the March 13 deadline after the latest of four contract restructures and player releases chopped their overage from an estimated $25 million a month ago. The salary cap is expected to be $120 million per team.

The Steelers took $3.8 million of Colon's $4.5 million salary for 2012 and turned it into a bonus, guaranteeing that part of his contract. Colon has four years left on the five-year contract he signed last year, so that $3.8 million will be pro-rated over the life of the contract -- $950,000 for salary-cap purposes annually. Since that also includes this season, that created the $2.85 million in salary-cap space.

The move also reaffirms the team's commitment to Colon as their right tackle. General manager Kevin Colbert reportedly said Marcus Gilbert will move to left tackle, which would leave Colon at right tackle.

Colon started three seasons at right tackle without missing a game before injuries took hold. He missed 2010 with an Achilles rupture. He started the opener last season but missed the rest of '11 because of a torn triceps. The Steelers signed him to a five-year, $29 million contract in August.

Gilbert, a second-round draft pick last year, replaced Colon and remained the team's starting right tackle all season. The Steelers also have reworked the contracts of linebackers LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons and cornerback Ike Taylor in similar fashion to help create salary-cap room.

Meanwhile, an emerging drama inside the Steelers has ended: Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and new offensive coordinator Todd Haley met recently and talked. The new collective bargaining agreement bars coaches and players from discussing playbooks, so the sitdown likely could be described as a get-to-know-you session. Haley was hired Feb. 6.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12053/12 ... z1nA9HRntG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12053/1211756-66.stm#ixzz1nA9HRntG)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-23-2012, 11:59 AM
And once again, reality has set in. Gilbert is moved to LT just on que. He was originally drafted to be the long-term LT, so there he goes to where he belongs.

Colon gets a restructured contract which means the Steelers are indeed committed to him. He goes into his usual RT spot. Therefore, we now know 4 of our starting linemen and probably (in reality) all 5 of our starting OL for the 2012 season. And I'm OK with it. I know alot of you aren't but I'm gonna be interested in seeing just how much of a change- scheme-wise, Haley is gonna bring to the table. Those changes alone can really make a big difference in how the OL blocks, executes. Maybe we'll add a better blocking TE to the roster, or dare I say it- A FB!

I disagree with this statement. I agree that we know three of our starting linemen for this season, but the two guard positions are not set in stone at all.

I believe that the Steelers draft their LG early and that player will win the starting spot out of camp. I think that Foster and Legursky will be in the competition at RG, but who knows who else is in that competition and I would not rule out the possibility that a guy like John Malecki or Chris Scott wins the job.

pfelix73
02-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Maybe. Anything is possible, but after listening to what Ed Buchette had to say this morning, I'm not so sure about that. In fact, Kemo is still a possibilty at LG still. You have to realize that a new OC is gonna weigh big-time on some of these decisions going forward. Right now, Legs is the LG. He needs more time to develop at LG as he was moved back and forth last year because of all the injuries. Buchette says they would have cut Kemo by now if they were going to do that. Anyway, none of us how things shake out, but I do value what Buchette says. He also believes that Mike Wallace is gone and we're looking at having 2 1st round picks.. He mentioned that NT and even RB- something Haley was hinting at, may be 1st round possibilities! Heck, let's start the smoke and mirrors now! Was saying that Cincy is really interested in Wallace.... If that happens, aybe a David Wilson is a possibility.... Just sayin'

sentinel33
02-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Pretty simple, really-

Gilbert-ROOKIE(1st or 2nd rnd.)-Pouncey-Foster-Colon
Essex ? Legursky

I don't want Kemoeatu back. So between him and J Scott, I pick Scott.
But picking up 2 O-linemen in this draft is a necessity.

But if we can't get a starting LG and a developmental backup in this draft, something is wrong.

Out of 7 picks(not counting any comp. picks) we need to get one O-lineman in the first 2 rounds and then get another as a value pick later on down the line.

Around those 2 necessities, get a nosetackle, a WR who can be a #4 and play wicked ST, an LB, a DB and a K.

But shoreing up the O-line is by far the biggest issue.

pfelix73
02-23-2012, 03:07 PM
It might be your biggest issue, but that's not what matters. They were just saying on the radio that the fans believe that the OL is more of an issue than the FO does.

Don't be too disappointed if they don't draft who you want....Just sayin'. Cause I am betting that they won't in the 1st 2 rounds.

Oviedo
02-23-2012, 03:15 PM
It might be your biggest issue, but that's not what matters. They were just saying on the radio that the fans believe that the OL is more of an issue than the FO does.

Don't be too disappointed if they don't draft who you want....Just sayin'. Cause I am betting that they won't in the 1st 2 rounds.

I could very easily see them going after someone like Hightower in Round 1, but I would be shocked if they didn't go OL in Round 2.