PDA

View Full Version : Ben checked out of running plays 20 % of the time

hawaiiansteel
02-20-2012, 12:16 AM
Sanders says a couple of interesting things

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2012
posted by Dale Lolley

I did an hour of radio on Sunday from the Pittsburgh Auto Show with Gerry Dulac. Then, after I finished, Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders came on to replace me for the final hour.

I know, I know, I was a poor warm-up act, kind of like bringing out your cousin's garage band to open for The Who.

But Sanders did have a couple of interesting things to say.

First was that Mike Tomlin told Sanders in his exit interview that he will handle kickoff and punt returns - at least that's the plan - because Antonio Brown is now the full-time No. 2, while Sanders is No. 3.

That's tough not to use your Pro Bowl return guy, and something tells me that Brown will be back there in crucial situations, but they have to save the wear and tear on a critical part of the offense.

The other interesting thing Sanders said - and kudos to Dulac for asking - was how often Ben Roethlisberger checked out of running plays.

Sanders estimated it at 20 percent of the time, saying Roethlisberger would go to the line of scrimmage with two plays called, one a run, the other a pass.

That's just one player's recall of things, but it would explain some of the offensive imbalance the Steelers have had.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sid ... sidelines/ (http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/)

NJ-STEELER
02-20-2012, 12:36 AM
doesnt "checked out" mean checking over the defense and seeing how they're lined up?

do we really want to run against an 8 man front with this OL?

how many more times will we see defenders hit our RB 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage

D Rock
02-20-2012, 08:57 AM
it's really not an issue of how often they ran the ball

the issue is how poorly the line blocked and the how poorly the plays were designed

steelblood
02-20-2012, 09:39 AM

the issue is how poorly the line blocked and the how poorly the plays were designed

In many games, I thought Foster and Gilbert run blocked well and worked well together.

DukieBoy
02-20-2012, 09:50 AM
I am concerned with Sanders returning kicks based on his record of fragility, and the value of having him in the lineup on offense.

Oviedo
02-20-2012, 10:19 AM

In many games, I thought Foster and Gilbert run blocked well and worked well together.

Your mock draft in your signature says it all. Draft two Guards and replace both of the Guards we have now and the offense will be much better.

phillyesq
02-20-2012, 10:21 AM
I am concerned with Sanders returning kicks based on his record of fragility, and the value of having him in the lineup on offense.

I'm more concerned with the fact that he isn't particularly effective as a kick returner.

NJ-STEELER
02-20-2012, 01:15 PM

$$

ikestops85
02-21-2012, 12:01 PM

I'm more concerned with the fact that he isn't particularly effective as a kick returner.

I'm with you Philly. He hasn't shown me anything as a kick returner. I'd like to see what Barron Batch can do as a returner.