PDA

View Full Version : Possible first round NT's...

StarSpangledSteeler
02-18-2012, 06:02 PM
It seems there is a growing feeling on this board that Dontari Poe is the only possible Steeler nose tackle in the 1st round. And I don't know that this line of thinking is accurate. My purpose in this thread is NOT to debate the "value" of each pick at 1.24. I'm not trying to determine who would be a reach or a steal. I'm not trying to say if we should trade up or trade down, or even if we should draft a NT at all in the 1st. I'm simply curious as to which DT's could be effective at NT in our scheme. I bring this up because I feel that the prototype for a 3-4 NT is changing in the new pass heavy NFL and there are a few guys with intriguing skillsets that will/might be available.

------------------------------

Devon Still? (I think yes. I think he has the anchor to be effective as a 3-4 NT in our scheme. I think his long arms will help bat down short passes and shed blockers to get to the running backs. I also feel he has some ability to collapse the pocket and penetrate.)

Michael Brockers? (I'm really not sure. The obvious answer is he's a better penetrating 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE, but I've seen him anchor well in a couple of different games. He will command double teams, that is certain.)

Fletcher Cox? (I think no. To me he's an up-field, penetrating DT/DE and would get washed out in a 3-4 NT scheme.)

Jerel Worthy? (I think yes. While he is inconsistent I have seen flashes of excellent NT ability when I watched him live. Anchoring, drawing double teams, shedding. He definitely was drawing a ton of double teams this year which I believe had an effect on his production numbers.)

Brandon Thompson? (I haven't seen enough live games on him to evaluate.)

---------------------------------

Thoughts?

Eddie Spaghetti
02-18-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm with ovi on this one.

with the way the league is moving, just can see the value of spending a 1st rounder on a 2 down run stuffing NT.

picking up chapman, if he's available, in the 3rd seems like a better option.

focosteeler
02-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Poe has the potential to be good in the league but he doesnt have it now. I don't know much about Still and I watched a couple games with Worthy and I wasnt impressed. I would prefer to draft a guy in the 1st that you know has what it takes to succeed at his position (every down) in the NFL.

I Honestly I don't want them to draft a NT this year in the first 4 rounds. I know with Casey and his knee issues we are weak at the position but I dont want to spend a pick on a guy that isnt a impact guy. I would prefer we get Aubrayo Franklin in FA and draft a NT in the 1st or 2nd next year. ( I think next year we go NT/S or S/NT...the classes for each next year look great)

steelblood
02-19-2012, 09:21 AM

with the way the league is moving, just can see the value of spending a 1st rounder on a 2 down run stuffing NT.

I keep reading about folks wanting Chapman. He is an efficient NT, but he is limited and coming of ACL surgery (I realize he played with the injury last season, but the surgery still requires recovery-AND, once you've torn an ACL, you are much more likely to tear it again).

I really prefer Mike Martin in the 3rd. He is almost the same size as Chapman (307 vs 314) and very well conditioned. Martin is capable of collapsing the pocket and chasing down ball carriers in the open field. Chapman is not. Martin is cat quick for his size and in excellent shape. Chapman is a dough ball and has average short area quickness. Chapman may hold a very slight edge in standing up to double teams, but I believe that is because that was his job and focus in college and Martin had greater and more varied responsibilities. I also believe Martin could carry 5 or 10 more pounds of bulk and still retain most of his quickness. Most importantly, on passing plays, Martin will collapse the pocket and can close on the QB for pressures and the occasional sack. Martin could play on 3rd down.

Oviedo
02-19-2012, 10:47 AM

If we get another DL in Round 1 this draft after recently taking Hood and Heyward then I will seriously be thinking that there is a move afoot to go to the 4-3 when LeBeau leaves.

pittpete
02-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Id bet $$$$ we wont be drafting a NT in the 1st round

PSU_dropout43
02-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Mayock says Memphis NT Dontari Poe: Poe has Haloti Ngata upside. Hes that big & has that kind of movement skills. But hes so raw its scary.

Z-Report Says: Im liking Poe more and more based on his scheme flexibility. He is a beast in the weight room and will test exceptionally well in that department at combine. Has size that make him a great fit at the nose, but he also fits as a 3-4 DE for teams like the Packers who prefer wide bodies with good feet. Poes potential for growth will help his stock. If teams believe he has to come out on 3rd downs, it will hurt it.

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2 ... with-mine/ (http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2012/02/mike-mayock-gives-his-opinions-on-draft-prospects-i-chime-in-with-mine/)

Chadman
02-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Wasn't it 3 years ago Tomlin made mention of having to get younger on the DL?

He's systematically doing that. Also, Chadman believes Tomlin, LeBeau & the Rooney's understand that the success the Steelers have had over the last few years has come from a dominant front 7. Just look at 1st & 2nd round picks under Tomlin- Timmons, Woodley, Worilds, Heyward & Hood..

If battles are won & lost in the trenches, as most of us believe, then drafting a NT like Poe in Round 1 isn't something to be feared. This is a guy that potentially could dominate at the line of scrimmage. It should be embraced.

RuthlessBurgher
02-19-2012, 06:44 PM

Pretty soon, even cats will learn to love dogs, dogs will learn to love the mailman, and even Dracula will learn to love sunlight. :lol:

http://www.punjabigraphics.com/images/2/friends-forever.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Pet-Dog-Mailman-Blue-Gray-Uniform-Hat-Costume-VF-/14/!BjPDJfwB2k~$(KGrHqIH-DIEs6M76bI5BLSsPEuGzQ~~_35.JPG
http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/teg/coco/release/sites/default/files/imagecache/photos_slideshow/IMG_3170.jpg

Shawn
02-20-2012, 04:04 PM
I keep hearing inconsistent about Worthy, but have yet to hear a play where he had a break down. I think its a bum rap. He was asked to do different things within the D, then people began saying "where is worthy"? Well, he went from being asked to penetrate to anchor and take on double teams, and that is where he went. He did it with the best in the country. He was a man amongst boys when asked to do so.