PDA

View Full Version : mendy's trade value

steeler_george
02-18-2012, 06:16 AM
Just wondering, what is his trade value is now? Can we trade him for a 3rd or later round pick?

Don't get me wrong, I like Mendy, but our offense has progressed to a more passing with the running game complementing the pass. I think we are deep enough to take lossing him with Redman, Moore, Batch, Dwyer, and Clay.

My thinking is he is going to be out significant time next year, and then a RFA. With our cap being up the wall can we gain something and trim the salary?

Slapstick
02-18-2012, 09:28 AM
No.

This is Mendenhall's last year under contract and then he will be an Urestricted Free Agent. Since he is still under his rookie contract, most of his cap hit is signing bonus which does not go away after cutting or trading him.

Furthermore, he has a torn ACL. If he were healthy, there may have been a shot at getting a late-round pick for him.

Now, it's cheaper to keep him...

BradshawsHairdresser
02-18-2012, 10:40 AM
No.

This is Mendenhall's last year under contract and then he will be an Urestricted Free Agent. Since he is still under his rookie contract, most of his cap hit is signing bonus which does not go away after cutting or trading him.

Furthermore, he has a torn ACL. If he were healthy, there may have been a shot at getting a late-round pick for him.

Now, it's cheaper to keep him...
:Agree
His trade value might have been pretty good a year ago, but at this point, it's virtually nil.
Hopefully, he will recover in time to help us for at least part of the season.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Mendenhall has zero trade value right now. He is entering the last year of his contract coming off of ACL surgery, and the team has already said that they are not counting on him to return in time to play a significant role this year.

The more that I think about it, the more that I think that he could be a surprise cut this year - depending on which of two sites is giving me correct salary info. I have seen him listed as a $3.5M+ hit with a $2M base - which may include a roster bonus. If that is the case then I would cut him. I have also seen him as a $600K salary which would probably be low enough to keep him here and see if he can contribute somehow.

Snatch98
02-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Cut him? Some of the Mendy hate is absolutely bananas. How about we wait to see the kid with a offensive coordinator worth a damn? Possibly even a full back. Arians did not use Mendenhall to his full potential. He has the ability to be an elite back with his skill set, it's just a matter of using him properly. Hell maybe FINALLY use him in the pass game.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Cut him? Some of the Mendy hate is absolutely bananas. How about we wait to see the kid with a offensive coordinator worth a damn? Possibly even a full back. Arians did not use Mendenhall to his full potential. He has the ability to be an elite back with his skill set, it's just a matter of using him properly. Hell maybe FINALLY use him in the pass game.

He is in the last year of his contract. He may not be able to contribute next year due to his ACL injury. It would have nothing to do with his abilities and having the right OC.

Snatch98
02-18-2012, 03:46 PM

He is in the last year of his contract. He may not be able to contribute next year due to his ACL injury. It would have nothing to do with his abilities and having the right OC.

So you wait to see how he recovers and you resign him. He's not going to get cut because the Steeler front office holds a much higher opinion of him than Steeler nation. Mendenhall when used to his full capacity is a potential elite back in the NFL. Arians is gone so hopefully we'll see a full back and as I mentioned above the half back getting some looks in the pass game would be nice. Mendenhall was not schemed properly under Arians.

Sugar
02-18-2012, 04:21 PM

So you wait to see how he recovers and you resign him. He's not going to get cut because the Steeler front office holds a much higher opinion of him than Steeler nation. Mendenhall when used to his full capacity is a potential elite back in the NFL. Arians is gone so hopefully we'll see a full back and as I mentioned above the half back getting some looks in the pass game would be nice. Mendenhall was not schemed properly under Arians.

OK, but what if we don't get a Fullback?

Snatch98
02-18-2012, 08:37 PM
If we don't get a full back he's still not going to be running predictable gaps and ignored in the passing game. Todd Haley has proven AND now gone on the record and said that he is going to do what works to win. Mendenhall assuming he comes back similar or the same physically has all the tools to be a truly elite back in the NFL.

hawaiiansteel
02-19-2012, 12:33 AM
Mendy's current trade value:

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/7/2010/03/layschips.jpg

steeler_george
02-19-2012, 01:52 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think I am one of the few Mendy supporters here. However, due to his position, RB, IMHO is the easiest to replace, and Redman did show he is a capable back. Especially, in our offense talent set, where Ben and is WRS are the key.

However, if some how it is possible to gain a pick from him and saving cap space to sign other players (wallace) I am for it.

Didn't we send Holmes (former 1st rd draft ) for a mid- low draft pick. I also believe it was in his last year of his rookie contract, and also was due to miss a few games due to his league suspension. i know it had to do with more of his character than talent.

Would you trade mendy for a 4th or lower to save cap? Or even use him to move up the draft say swap our 4th and mendy to gain extra pic in the 3rd?

Snatch98
02-19-2012, 02:02 PM
I like Issac Redman and he's done a admirable job BUT imo he's not a full time starter. You can also throw the "in our offense with Ben and the Wr's" out the window because Arians is no longer in town. Now Haley could very well determine that sort of offense is the best offense for the team. I know i certainly don't want to go back to Cowher ball but a nice mix where we run/pass and use the rb in the pass game would be awesome. Mendenhall, or better stated a healthy Mendenhall is the best tool in Haley's future tool set at the RB position. I just hope he's able to return healthy. We also have Baron Batch and who knows maybe he'll continue to build on what he showed in training camp and be the complement we need to Issac. I just don't like Issac as a 3 down back.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-19-2012, 06:11 PM

Mendenhall will be a UFA after 2012. It is quite possible that he won't be able to play in 2012. There is no guarantee of keeping him with franchising him in 2013 and that could require giving around $8M to a guy who missed a year with an ACL.

I'm only saying that we have to consider it if:

1) It looks like he will not be able to contribute in 2012

and

2) If the salary for this year is $2M as reported on one site.

This is not about hate or the thought that he won't be able to contribute in a Haley offense, this is about saving cap room today against the gamble of re signing him at a reasonable number if he misses - or is not back to normal - next year.

RuthlessBurgher
02-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Rashard Mendenhall, Chris Kemoeatu, Hines Ward, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, James Farrior, and the #24 pick to Arizona for the #13 pick. Whis likes those former Stillers. :wink:

BradshawsHairdresser
02-19-2012, 06:38 PM
I like Issac Redman and he's done a admirable job BUT imo he's not a full time starter. You can also throw the "in our offense with Ben and the Wr's" out the window because Arians is no longer in town. Now Haley could very well determine that sort of offense is the best offense for the team. I know i certainly don't want to go back to Cowher ball but a nice mix where we run/pass and use the rb in the pass game would be awesome. Mendenhall, or better stated a healthy Mendenhall is the best tool in Haley's future tool set at the RB position. I just hope he's able to return healthy. We also have Baron Batch and who knows maybe he'll continue to build on what he showed in training camp and be the complement we need to Issac. I just don't like Issac as a 3 down back.

What more would Redman have to show you to convince you he could be a #1 back?

Understand, I'm not for trading Mendy...but unless we rebuild our O-line before next season, it looks to me like you could make a pretty good case that Redman would do at least as good a job as Mendy running behind it. You say you don't like Issac as a 3-down back? Well, it's been years since the Steelers have shown much inclination to employ ANYONE as "a 3-down back"...but in case they did, Redman has actually been the BETTER of the two as a receiver! I agree with you that if Haley is worth his salt as an OC, he will find a way to utilize Mendenhall more effectively than Arians did...but think about it--he may also find a better way to utilize Redman!

Hopefully, Batch will come back from his injury to light it up as a third-down back, and then, when Mendy returns, he and Isaac can form a terrific one-two punch! But even if Mendy can't make it back this season, I think we'll be OK at RB...plenty of horses in the stable.